• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just finished it, took me 17hours. It's a good game, not the "best game ever" that i heard so much, but i enjoyed the ride.

2 hours into it and I'm having a good time so far. The intro was honestly pretty great. I won't go so far as to say it's the best thing I've seen in the last decade of vidya games or whatever people were saying pre-release, but I really liked it. The pace slowed significantly after that, which I don't have an issue with, and I haven't even encountered infected enemies yet, but I'm still fully invested as they don't take control from you that often. They do however force you to walk sometimes, but the pace of this game is slow enough that it's not too much of an issue. We'll see how I feel during my second playthrough. Voice acting and mo-cap performances are top notch, as always from ND.

Regarding gameplay, I turned off Listen Mode to keep tension high as it looked way too effective in the videos, but I wish they used some kind of "sticky cover and lean" system instead of this hands off approach. Stealth is a little awkward when you're dealing with a wall instead of a chest high object because you're fighting the camera a bit to see what's around the corner. I don't understand why it's not in there, Joel's already in perfect position to lean out and look around corners.

As for the rest, melee's simple but feels great and there's some tremendous animation blending going on here, movement during combat has a fantastic weight and intensity to it, gunplay seems "okay" right now but I haven't used firearms enough to really judge, getting shot AT is amazing (great effects and animation when hit), and sound is great for the most part (I still wish guns had more audio "punch" after the initial shot; more echo/reverb, outdoors especially).

Friendly AI is a bit wonky in relation to how well most everything else is put to together. I think ND gave your partners a little too much "freedom" outside of combat. They probably should've stuck closer you like members of a SWAT team moving in tight areas to avoid them passing in front of enemies, and being really late in taking cover. It's not a huge issue, but as games get better and better at dynamic AI and realistic animations, it's the small things that stick out the most.

Graphically it's good, I guess. It's a really natural looking and a tad desaturated game so none of it "pops," but it all feels very cohesive, and lighting is strong when it needs to be. Framerate is perfectly playable. Those are all that really matter to me on that front.

Look forward to really getting into it tomorrow.

Bladenic

So for that part mentioned above
how do you unlock the locker? Is it shiv unlock? I actually never even seen it but I want to know for the future.

Anyway, I turned off Listen Mode and the next part was tense as fuck. I thought about switching to Hard, but since I'm sure I'm locked into the Normal trophy already I don't see much of a point right now.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
About Bill, and some superb subtle writing:

best fucking gay character, probably since New Vegas. But 20 million times better. I am so impressed. As soon as I heard the line "somebody i cared about" from the trailer, I wondered.

Then he said 'partner'

Then we come across Frank, still not even slightly explicit he's gay.

Then Frank's note in the back room.

Then dirty gay mags.

So classy Naughty Dog. That made my fucking night.

Yeah, shit was awesome.

If you search around you actually come across that gay magazine before its shown in the cutscene. So dope.

Lingitiz

This game is fantastic so far. The intro was a bit overhyped, but I can't deny that it got me good. The early pace is slow but I'd rather have a buildup than in your face action after that intro.

Looking forward to giving MP a try later on.

sunnz

Ok am I missing something, why cant I pick up and store these medkits?

Some are actually just food, that can only be eaten and not saved/looted. They can be used when you are low on health.

On the spot items basically.

You can only carry 3 med packs ( upgradable ?) and if you are full you won't be able to carry any more.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
This game is like the total opposite of GoW3. GoW3 starts with a bang, but fizzles out the closer you come to the end. In TLoU it keeps ramping up the further you progress. I thought the first 2/ 3 hours were OKish, but after that it really starts to find it's footing. Am now at 42% and think it's great, so if this keeps up I will be like OMFG before the end.

Solo

I've only "played" the intro, so I can speak to anything plot or gameplay related yet, but my god does this game ever seem to be a major step down from the Uncharted series visually. The facial animation and animation overall doesn't seem to be there, nor does the texture quality. It looks quite washed out and muddy compared to the UC games.

Veggy

Currently about 5-6 hours into the game (being at work on release day was murder) and absolutely loving the game

TheExodu5

Banned
What a stupid segment. I'm scavenging for bullets the entire game and then I'm put into a shootout segment with infinite ammo. Why would you do this, Naughty Dog?

DrBo42

Well thats kinda silly, why can't i carry more lol

No idea. I find it ridiculous as well. It's not like there's a ton of them I'm finding on Hard.

What a stupid segment. I'm scavenging for bullets the entire game and then I'm put into a shootout segment with infinite ammo. Why would you do this, Naughty Dog?
I don't think I've reached that yet but
the bit with the HMMV with the .50 outside I was ghosting perfectly and seemed like enemies were alerted as soon as I entered a scripted area pissed me off so bad

TheExodu5

Banned
I've only "played" the intro, so I can speak to anything plot or gameplay related yet, but my god does this game ever seem to be a major step down from the Uncharted series visually. The facial animation and animation overall doesn't seem to be there, nor does the texture quality. It looks quite washed out and muddy compared to the UC games.

The game is a big step above Uncharted visually. You're remembering Uncharted a bit too fondly, I think. The only major flaws are aliasing in certain environments and some spots with low framerate.

Duxxy3

The game is a big step above Uncharted visually. You're remembering Uncharted a bit too fondly, I think. The only major flaws are aliasing in certain environments and some spots with low framerate.

Don't know about that. I finished Uncharted 2 and 3 in the last week and would say both look better.

I think it has more to do with style than it does technology.

antitrop

I have played significant amounts of Uncharted 2 within the last week. You are correct.

hlhbk

Looking for opinions. In my computer room I am gaming on a 27 inch monitor with a great 5.1 speaker system. Out in my living room we have a 50 inch DLP TV but use TV sound (its pretty good sound for built in sound (it even has virtual surround sound that works but obviously it can't compare to a true 5.1 system).

I almost feel like playing this on the big screen would be worth losing the 5.1 audio (I can't move the speakers out there, not enough room).

So should I play this on the bigger display or stay on the smaller one and keep the 5.1?

Solo

The game is a big step above Uncharted visually.

Not in the (albeit extremely small) sample size I've seen so far, in any respect. The facial animation is really poor compared to UC in particular. And I don't recall seeing half as many low res textures in UC.

Again, I've only played the intro, so we'll see how I feel after getting into the meat of the game a bit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not in the (albeit extremely small) sample size I've seen so far, in any respect. The facial animation is really poor compared to UC in particular. And I don't recall seeing half as many low res textures in UC.

Again, I've only played the intro, so we'll see how I feel after getting into the meat of the game a bit.

The intro didn't look all that good. One of the problems is that there's actually a lot more geometric detail than in Uncharted, and combined with the low resolution that results in some really bad aliasing. Some of the environment with simpler geometry (in particular indoor segments) look stunning great. The lighting/shadowing is what makes it, along with some really good textures in places.

Solo

The intro didn't look all that good. One of the problems is that there's actually a lot more geometric detail than in Uncharted, and combined with the low resolution that results in some really bad aliasing. Some of the environment with simpler geometry (in particular indoor segments) look stunning great. The lighting/shadowing is what makes it, along with some really good textures in places.

Alright then, hopefully this is the case! Playing through that intro and then thinking of a lot of the gorgeous environments/detailed texture work in UC2 in particular had me thinking "the fuck, what is this, Naughty Dog's B team or something?"

Hoping to eat crow then after I see some more tomorrow.

Grisby

Finally hit a graphical point that made me go wow (well, besides some bits of the intro). Glad the game finally got colorful after spending so much time in the dark.

I reached
Lincoln
and got the shit scared out of me by that corner area. Great stuff.

I do wish the cover didn't feel so clunky. Tomb Raider did the auto cover much better IMO. Not a deal breaker but it's one aspect that could use some work.

sn00zer

So played the first two hours....seems like a strangling simulator....is there any other way to take someone down quietly?

EDIT: Opening was infuckingcredible though added to the fact im living in
austin

DrBo42

So played the first two hours....seems like a strangling simulator....is there any other way to take someone down quietly?

EDIT: Opening was infuckingcredible though added to the fact im living in
austin

Haha. A shiv is your other option but that's wasting a valuable resource. I hope you like that strangling animation, you're going to see it about 200 more times if you play stealth.

AlexBasch

Playing Arkham City before this kinda set me up for the stealth mood.

Fight at the museum was quite intense though, I should have saved a healthy crowbar instead of a stick with one hit left.

Also, opening
I knew the girl wasn't going to survive the prologue, but I felt a horrible shiver down my neck at the "Oh no, oh no no no" part. ): Fucking soldier.

plenilune

Anyone else notice the voice volume/distance being a bit off? I hear enemy soldiers speak in full volume when I'm a good distance away from them. I'm playing with headphones using the headphone sound mode.

DrBo42

Lol, reading all these positive impressions makes me ask that dude who created that TLoU backlash thread to actually play the game.

The game has some sizable flaws, definitely, but so far it's pretty good.

Edit: I should go back and make a personal list of every reviewer that gave this game a perfect score. "Don't trust his lies" Polaroids for ALL of them.

sn00zer

Haha. A shiv is your other option but that's wasting a valuable resource. I hope you like that strangling animation, you're going to see it about 200 more times if you play stealth.

damn it...... well that knocks off a few points of my 10/10 scale.... ill still play through it though, story seems good, and that opening has me excited for more emotional potential...god damn that opening

Top Bottom