• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Bear with me here... Would you guys say that the game is somewhat like Dishonoured in that it's more fun to play with reckless abandon and experimentation, rather than going about things in a way that would make narrative and contextual sense, i.e. pure stealth?

Emwitus

Bear with me here... Would you guys say that the game is somewhat like Dishonoured in that it's more fun to play with reckless abandon and experimentation, rather than going about things in a way that would make narrative and contextual sense, i.e. pure stealth?

I wouldn't call it more fun....I died alot on normal, had to switch to easy. I'm not kidding. If by experimentation you mean the number of ways you can approach gun fights? Yes, there is ALOT of that.

DrBo42

Absolutely.

Edit: It's so weird that you get so much positive feedback from the AI early on about taking out an enemy with stealth but it quickly becomes the most boring way to play the game. It's efficient but it's not necessarily fun after the first few hours.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Eh, if anything pure stealth doesn't really seem to be Joel's forte. Even as a huge stealth fan dishonored was simply way more fun being a lethal crazy bastard, I still really enjoy the way it's handled here.

B-Dex

I find it's generally easier to go balls-to-the-wall action blasting things with a shotgun so that you can then loot all the stuff.

amnesiac

Mine does the same thing.

I can't possibly understand how a development studio that can make a game like this can have something like that...
Yeah same here. It really is inconceivable how a game this huge can have such a potentially game-breaking bug.

Game is incredible though.

aristotle

I bought the season pass on thursday. Wasn't it supposed to include some behind the scenes thing with the pass? The making of is included on the disc so I don't care, but I was just wondering.

antitrop

I haven't felt this way about a game in a long time. A really, really long time.

I forgot what it felt like, but man... It feels really good.

webkatt

ProTip:
90% of not-zombies are blind. I was trying to be all careful with no flashlight, but couldn't see in the dark. said fuck it and turned on my light, not-zombies didn't even notice

iNvid02

I actually fear runners more than clickers, these fuckers swarm you whilst attracting clickers towards you

would recommend the weapon sway and shiv master upgrades. I'm going primarily for the stealth approach but when things fuck up (they will) these 2 upgrades saved me on numerous occasions

amnesiac

ProTip:
90% of not-zombies are blind. I was trying to be all careful with no flashlight, but couldn't see in the dark. said fuck it and turned on my light, not-zombies didn't even notice

Yeah one of the tutorial pop ups in the beginning of the game says that no zombies will detect flashlights.

When I beat the game on hard and unlock New Game Plus/Survivor mode will I be able to start New Game Plus Survivor? Or will I have to beat Survivor mode first?

And for the new page. Is the weapon/pistol
Shotty
useful to anyone? Why not just use the long gun equivalen?

Cutwolf

Is the online pass (physical copy) only valid for one system? Want to play at my girlfriends house tonight but don't want to have to buy another online pass when I go back home.

So MP is supposed to slow paced and tactical but I just had an awesome crazy moment.

We were in the Downtown map. I was by the trains, one of the other team comes out and I start meleeing him.

Then the rest of his team comes and starts meleeing me.

And then my team comes and it's just a huge 4 on 4 brawl. We all go down except for one on my team, the other team is crawling on the floor. Our last guy beats them all to death with a stick

GuessWho

I have to say I find it hilarious with all the xbone vs ps4 DRM non sense, that when I first open my TLOU copy first thing i noticed, is no booklet and only a online pass leaflet.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I like that these runners/clickers make random noises. I mean I was sneaking around and honestly thought I was spotted but that wasn't the case, so I foolishly started running and... yeah.

R3TRODYCE

Just made it past the part that was featured in the demo and aside from the kickass intro I'm not enjoying it. I'm going to keep pushing on though and maybe it'll pick up.

calder

3-4 hours in, just loving it. I can see if you don't like the setting or the plot doesn't click with you that the opening few hours would be slow, but I love the story and world so to me this has been fucking fantastic since the start. I'm a slow, patient sneaky bastard in every game that allows it, so stealthing through is right up my alley. I don't think I've used any bullets since that early tutorial style bit of shooting.

Really love the characters, and as my wife said when she walked into the living room the animation is great - she asked if this game did motion capture of the actors 'like uncharted' because the facial expression and lip syncing was so good. She was also impressed with the sound during the rain storm as I avoided enemies, as was I. Loving the audio as much as the (excellent) visuals.

I actually fear runners more than clickers, these fuckers swarm you whilst attracting clickers towards you

I feel the same way. Clickers are pretty easy to avoid if you go slow enough and don't get too close. Runners, on the other hand, can spot you from a mile away, and they alert every other enemy in the area.

Man, get multiple runners + a Clicker or two running right at you, it gets my heart ta beating. xD Pretty intense battles and areas I've gone through so far.

I try to do mostly stealth and avoid contact with enemies if at all possible. I am still able to loot everywhere, but you just have to be careful. (I'm playing on Hard and Listen Mode turned off.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
holy shit, that save bug. I didn't know about it until just now because i wanted to avoid spoilers. I lost like 7 hours of game time.

Man, that sucks. It's fixed now but if you were playing while they did it this will still happen.

Really sucks here as I feel like replaying the early parts would be a draaaag. Lot of forced slow walking.

I like that these runners/clickers make random noises. I mean I was sneaking around and honestly thought I was spotted but that wasn't the case, so I foolishly started running and... yeah.
I think the runners are almost sympathetic in a way, 'cause they're still aware of what they're doing but can't control themselves

So I imagine those moans and wheezes are them trying to communicate or cry for help....which is really fucking disturbing when you think about it

Man, that sucks. It's fixed now but if you were playing while they did it this will still happen.

Really sucks here as I feel like replaying the early parts would be a draaaag. Lot of forced slow walking.

The only good thing about it is that my cousin is over and didn't get to see me play though the first few hours so I'm letting him do the replay. Lemons to lemonade :)

DukeBobby

Shit, it's 5:10am, and I need sleep.

But I would just like to say...this game, man...THIS FUCKING GAME.

Metro: Last Light, get yo ass off my top spot, there's a new player in town.

I was the one that had my ps3 die on me last night. Had to take the whole thing apart to get the disc out but my friend is letting me borrow his ps3. Can't wait to be playing again. Good thing I didn't get too far last night.

calder

Damn some parts of this game are amazing to look at - I just spent a couple of minutes circling a half-fallen pillar in a building hypnotized by the texture work of the tiles versus the concrete and the typically great ND lighting and shadows from the flashlight.

I can't even imagine ND on PS4.

RDreamer

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. Either I suck at this game or I missed something. I'm in one of the first rooms with a lot of infected dudes:

There's like 1 fully spore dude and a bunch of infected guys. It's in the section after some stairs near the beginning with Ellie and Tes (I think that was her name). You jump down to deal with them. I get the first guy really easily, but after that I feel like I can't stealth anyone. I was hiding behind a fucking table and the thing saw me from across the room once. If I even get into a fight with one of them like that then the spore dude (full on clicker) comes and insta-kills me.

Anyone have some tips? They're all clustered together weirdly

The "acting" and performances in this game are astonishing. Just watched the cutscene where you find out
Tess is infected
. The facial animations are just amazing!

Amir0x

Banned
oh man it's amazing how much my appreciation of the sound design has improved since I started using this Pulse Headset. If nothing else, this is one aspect of the game that is in no way overpraised... holy shit

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. Either I suck at this game or I missed something. I'm in one of the first rooms with a lot of infected dudes:

There's like 1 fully spore dude and a bunch of infected guys. It's in the section after some stairs near the beginning with Ellie and Tes (I think that was her name). You jump down to deal with them. I get the first guy really easily, but after that I feel like I can't stealth anyone. I was hiding behind a fucking table and the thing saw me from across the room once. If I even get into a fight with one of them like that then the spore dude (full on clicker) comes and insta-kills me.

Are you still in the bombed buildings?

If so, there's one runner that has his back turned, perfect for a stealth kill. Then you can use the bricks and bottles to lure the others into positions to take down silently

Hope this helps

Khronico

After you take out the guy on the far right, backtrack, go into the room on the left under where you jumped down, go behind the table, wait for runner to walk by, strangle him, go out left door, wait for other runner to have his back turned, strangle him, then take out the last two. Save your melee weapons and get the brick. You'll need it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think the runners are almost sympathetic in a way, 'cause they're still aware of what they're doing but can't control themselves

So I imagine those moans and wheezes are them trying to communicate or cry for help....which is really fucking disturbing when you think about it
I always try to sneak past them for this very reason. Also, they tend to scare the hell out me due to all the noises. :\ I think this game has one of the best flashlight implementations ever, really adds a lot to the atmosphere.

antitrop

oh man it's amazing how much my appreciation of the sound design has improved since I started using this Pulse Headset. If nothing else, this is one aspect of the game that is in no way overpraised... holy shit
What does it plug into?

I may buy one tomorrow. I've seen more than enough people rave about it so far.

sn00zer

So im playing on hard...how should i play this game to maximize fun....because I dont think I can take 15 hours of strangling people

RDreamer

After you take out the guy on the far right, backtrack, go into the room on the left under where you jumped down, go behind the table, wait for runner to walk by, strangle him, go out left door, wait for other runner to have his back turned, strangle him, then take out the last two. Save your melee weapons and get the brick. You'll need it.

I did this, but he saw me from across the room, and so I stopped doing it. I was really confused as to how and why he saw me since the humans in this game seem to barely see jack shit, but this infected dude just knew I was there for some reason.

I got through, though I feel like I mucked it all up since I just shot the infected and beat the piss out of the other guys instead of stealthing it lol

Top Bottom