• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

GulAtiCa

Honestly I like the listen mode, though I do agree it feels kinda cheap and more like a super power at times. (prob even more to me due to my hearing issue where I actually can't focus my hearing that well unlike most normal people) But I do like it and feels fresh.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Clickers are terrifying. Really well designed.

Spoiler for about 3 hours in
RIP Tess :(

4:30 hours played, only 31%. Feels good. Love the systems. The last part I just did was awesome, super fast paced and tense too.
The part when you meet Bill.

UUUUGUHHHHH GOD DAMN YOU!

I was going at a slower pace than you and had thought that you were behind me and I read your spoiler!

dlsk;fkla'okwaef

I'M OUTTA THIS THREAD

Bladenic

Until you realize
that letting the runners come up to you and initiate QTE is a guaranteed headshot every time you push them off and far more efficient.

Yeah, except
then the goddamn Clickers show up. Honestly did not think they would show up in that scenario, but they did. Killed me too, first time.

Edit: ohhhhhhh I'm soooooooooooooooooooo SORRY. :'(

Won't post any spoilers here anymore, not even marked, will keep it all to spoiler thread.

Maddux4163

Neo Member
Not sure about you guys, but I'm quite impressed with the graphics. The opening cutscene looked great and then...bam...I'm in control. I wasn't expecting it to look that good. I thought it was still the cutscene. The lighting is pretty amazing really.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, listen mode is lame. I didn't disable it but I haven't used it. Feels like a complete duct tape solution anyway as one of the upgrades is still clearly listen mode distance.

Most of the tension stems from not being sure if a room is clear or from what direction the fucked up noises are coming from.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Welp, it looks like I'm TOTALLY not the target for survival-horror games. I don't think I can do one more clicker battle, I'm out.

Game looks good, apart from the horrible tearing, and texture shimmering, but it's an old platform, whadaayagonnado? I don't think it's the best looking game of this gen, but that's because I play a lot of games on PC which is essentially cheating. Definitely not better (for me) than the Uncharted series. I can think of many other games that I liked better than this, and that makes it impossible for it to be a 100/100 game (again, for me -- don't come at me bro).
No one ever called this the best looking game of this gen. The clickers aren't that bad haha, just sneak past them.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
What is your guys opinion on the game? I'm thinking of getting it but the critics seem like they are overhyping it. I mostly play games for story and characters. So I'm mostly wondering how good that stuff is. I want to hear real gamers opinions not critics.

Bladenic

No one ever called this the best looking game of this gen. The clickers aren't that bad haha, just sneak past them.

Really? I've seen it thrown around a bit. Idk if its best looking of the gen straight up, but certainly one of the best console exclusives, if not the best.

It ain't perfect though, that's for sure.

DrBo42

What is your guys opinion on the game? I'm thinking of getting it but the critics seem like they are overhyping it. I mostly play games for story and characters. So I'm mostly wondering how good that stuff is. I want to hear real gamers opinions not critics.

They are. Story and character development is good but predictable. It's a good experience, I'd recommend it so far but it's definitely flawed.

jett

D-Member
For the last couple of months I've attempted to be on complete media blackout for The Last Of Us, and I have mostly achieved my goal, thank God. I've had it since Tuesday, just finished it. Took my time with it, played it mostly at nighttime. I explored, scavenged and absorbed the world Druckmann and Stapley have created as much as I could. This game is really something special. You know, I could write about how marvelous the level design, or how the combat mechanics and gunplay feel are pitch point perfect, or how every corner of the game is jam-packed with unique detailing. Or the emotionally affecting and draining story, how the characters will stick with you, how you'll actually feel for these people. But there's not much point in describing any of this, really. Fact of the matter is TLoU is simply one of the best games of this generation, and it's everything I could've hoped for from the Straley/Druckmann duo. ND should be proud of what they have accomplished, and Sony should give these two free reign. Neil Druckmann has got to be the best writer currently working in this industry.

You still get this experience with listen mode on. You don't see every enemy, they have to be moving or making noise, and the distance is limited. It's more useful as a tool to predict movements, but even that seems to be super random for most enemies so it doesn't make a difference.

Seeing ANY of the enemies behind solid objects, no matter the distance or situation, just makes me too comfortable. Stealth would've been much better served having a lean mechanic than this. It feels like too much help.

I understand what they were going for, but it's just Detective Vision: Joel Edition. If it was more subtle and a new take on "x-ray ability" I'd maybe have less of an issue with it.

Lingitiz

Played a game of Survivors and got a huge Gears 1/2 vibe from it. I need to play a lot more of it, but it's really tense and slow paced. Hopefully it holds up when I really dive into it after I finish the campaign.

Pistolero

For the last couple of months I've attempted to be on complete media blackout for The Last Of Us, and I have mostly achieved my goal, thank God. I've had it since Tuesday, just finished it. Took my time with it, played it mostly at nighttime. I explored, scavenged and absorbed the world Druckmann and Stapley have created as much as I could. This game is really something special. You know, I could write about how marvelous the level design, or how the combat mechanics and gunplay feel are pitch point perfect, or how every corner of the game is jam-packed with unique detailing. Or the emotionally affecting and draining story, how the characters will stick with you, how you'll actually feel for these people. But there's not much point in describing any of this, really. Fact of the matter is TLoU is simply one of the best games of this generation, and it's everything I could've hoped for from the Straley/Druckmann duo. ND should be proud of what they have accomplished, and Sony should give these two free reign. Neil Druckmann has got to be the best writer currently working in this industry.

The exacting Jett has spoken. It's over!

Bladenic

Yeah Listen Mode is very immersion breaking. I wouldn't say it's cheat mode but in a game otherwise trying to be decently realistic, the listen mode just feels weird. Glad I turned it off. Wish I had started on Hard mode, I may switch but since I'm locked into the Normal trophy anyway (I assume) there's no real point.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Really? I've seen it thrown around a bit. Idk if its best looking of the gen straight up, but certainly one of the best console exclusives, if not the best.

It ain't perfect though, that's for sure.
There are better looking third-party games. Personally I feel the visuals are inconsistent, some areas look amazing while others not so much. The game has great art design and that's one of the reasons why technical issues like aliasing aren't a big issue for me.

Vire

Oh snap!

Glad to hear Mr.Negativity liked it.

It's not RE4. The slow first few hours alone stop it from being RE4. The speed at which RE4 happens is entirely up to the player, the speed at which The Last of Us happens, at least from what I've seen so far, is much, much more directed. It won't hold up to multiple playthroughs in the same way, nor does it feel as "crisp."

But hey, not everything can be RE4. At least they're trying. They're really really trying.

TLOU is this generation's RE4 and that makes it a lesser game by default.

TLOU is what RE4 would be if RE4 was bitten by a visceral and cinematic AAA-infected game.

Stage 1 infection - Ridiculously slow-paced, handholding tutorials
Stage 2 infection - Arbitrary bouts of forced slow walk and frequent use of mindnumbing "puzzles" that take more time to physically solve than mentally
Stage 3 infection - Unskippable mini-cutscenes among other annoying animations (ladders, planks, etc...) and an intro that makes full replays nigh-unbearable.

I still think TLOU is a fantastic game. The combat is perhaps the most intense and nervewracking I've experienced in a TPS-style game and the game seems ungodly long, with encounters feeling varied and unpredictable. I played for 8 or 9 hours today and I can't imagine the game ending in the next few hours. The economy system is a bit slow paced but is still satisfying.

I would absolutely love to see this style of combat in a more fast-paced game like RE4, smoothly and efficiently moving me from encounter to encounter with not a second of bloat to be found anywhere.

ShogunX

For the last couple of months I've attempted to be on complete media blackout for The Last Of Us, and I have mostly achieved my goal, thank God.

I've done the exact same thing. Haven't a clue what the zombie type enemies look like. Planning on doing the same for the majority of games I purchase now. Dark Souls 2, GTA5, ect ect will all be experienced like they should be.

What difficulty did you do your first play through on? Thinking about going with Hard from the off and not using the listen feature at all.

Vire

If you play it for story and characters. BUY THIS GAME NOW.

Some of the best writing in the industry in this game. Dialogue is fantastic, and I haven't ran into anything corny or cheesy at all yet.

The Uncharted series had plenty of eye roll worthy moments, nothing like that here.

DatDude

Banned
I don't think i'll ever be able to replay the last of us again.

Not because it's a bad game. But because the tension, the events, the enviroment is all so bleak and depressing and dark, and this adventure is just so god damn draining. My moral, and just myself as a person just feels so empty and in such a dark place right now.

Truly an achievement for naughty dog.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've done the exact same thing. Haven't a clue what the zombie type enemies look like. Planning on doing the same for the majority of games I purchase now. Dark Souls 2, GTA5, ect ect will all be experienced like they should be.

What difficulty did you do your first play through on? Thinking about going with Hard from the off and not using the listen feature at all.

I would say hard for sure. I don't find the game difficult yet(4 hours in) and I am finding a lot of supplies, and it's actually more restricted on this mode. Can't even imagine how easy Normal is.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I absolutely love the banter between Joel and Ellie. Also the RE4 comparisons are absurd. Despite some similarities in combat/stealth design, both games are vastly different.

I would say hard for sure. I don't find the game difficult yet(4 hours in) and I am finding a lot of supplies, and it's actually more restricted on this mode. Can't even imagine how easy Normal is.
It's not difficult at all. I'm playing on hard with Listen mode disabled and have yet to come across difficult sections. I think I've completed 50% of the game.

jett

D-Member
I'm no longer Mr. Negativity damn it. :p

I played on normal, I have no idea what changes in the other difficulty modes. On normal my experience is that if you play carefully and methodically and don't go crazy you'll probably won't have a problem with running out of supplies. I died a bunch but it was never frustrating. I imagine it could be much more tense on hard.

Listening mode is not the game breaking feature I thought, at least I didn't bother upgrading it. Fact of the matter it is the sound design is fantastic, but not fantastic enough to pinpoint enemy locations just with it, not even with headphones, which is how I played it. It really didn't make much of a difference, I didn't use it much, and the range is very limited without upgrades.

TheIdea

Neo Member
almost 4 hours in. mostly no spoilers on my impressions but just in case:

this game is amazing. the gameplay has a lot of variety and the amosphere just makes everything much better. I've been playing it on hard without listen mode and...it's just incredibly tense. not all that incredibly hard though if you are cautious and search everywhere for supplies. EVERYWHERE. oh, and if you value the awesome shiv.

the story and characters so far are great as well, the writing has this subtlety that most games don't have, and it's awesome. I might replay this game without skipping cutscenes. never did that with a game before. graphics are ND-level, which speaks for itself....hmm, I guess that's about it. there's a few glitches here and there and Ellie seems invisible to the enemies, but that doesn't detract from the incredible game this is. now, I've only played 4 hours or so, so it may annoy me somehow later on, but I doubt it will. I really do.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I hate the fact that enemies completely ignore your AI companions even if they're standing right next to them haha.

DatDude

Banned
Just wanted to know how far I am percentage wise? I feel like my percentage thing is off...

I'm at the part where Joel and Eliie and Sam and Henry get out of that sewer infeseted with the infected.

I REALLLLLY don't want this game to end. Not yet, please!!! :'(

antitrop

fainting.gif

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I hate the fact that enemies completely ignore your AI companions even if they're standing right next to them haha.

What I hate is companions scaring the ever-loving shit out of me when I'm sneaking around clickers by fucking running all over the place and blocking my path and shit.

Mupod

Playing on hard/no listen mode. Things are starting to come together for me now.

I had a lot of trouble with infected early on because I didn't understand how stealth worked, it feels REALLY bullshit when they turn around at the last second and alert EVERY zombie in the entire building. But now I understand that they have sensitive hearing and I need to walk at 3/4 crouch speed to stealth kill. Also now I have a shotgun, so clickers can eat shit.

My absolute low point for the game came when I was still figuring this out and ended up reloading a checkpoint about 20 times. Then the game starts with the patronizing 'maybe you should put it on easy mode' and suddenly the enemies start dropping tons of ammo when killed. I do not like that.

I've grown to like the dynamic when fighting human enemies, they are easier to stealth kill but the punishment is usually death if you get caught strangling someone and his shotgun buddy walks around the corner. However other than cheap instant deaths like that it's fine, since (human) enemies can actually lose track of you. It has a nice cat and mouse dynamic to it, although the last battle I had went on FAR too long.

In all my favorite sections are when you're just exploring and scrounging. I'm glad they take up a significant chunk of the game so far and I hope it doesn't devolve into pure action at some point. One thing I really hate in games like this that clearly had massive budgets and development time, is for some reason the devs who worked so hard apparently don't want you to appreciate it. Games like Gears of War and Alan Wake love to put in nagging NPCs that constantly bitch at you to hurry the fuck up. But this one lets you stop and appreciate everything.

Cheska

Boy have there been some heart pounding sections so far :O

Do you guys find yourself trying to avoid combat altogether or are you stealthily taking people down? There's just not enough ammo in this game to go for a run and gun approach, not that you'd want to anyways, this game wasn't built to be like that.

Earlier I was taking people down by sneaking up on them, but I just got to a particular section where I avoided the masses and just tried to slither through them all. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes, and what would make sense in that moment. Not that I hope to ever be in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Bladenic

I haven't had any of those situations, yet.

But imagine how annoying and frustrating it would be if every time the AI fucked up, it would fuck you up as well. I think they went with the lesser of two evils, definitely.

Vire

So what's everyone's favorite chapter so far?

Pittsburgh for me

I still got over half the game to go though!

D23

fuck this game is too hard for me, i jsut dont have the patience to play this game :( might make it down to easy so i can enjoy just the story

i

I played for about 4 hours in and realized I had that auto save glitch where none of my progress had been saved, so I had to start the game again.....wasn't even mad, it's that good.

Cheska

fuck this game is too hard for me, i jsut dont have the patience to play this game :( might make it down to easy so i can enjoy just the story

i

What exactly are you having trouble with? I'm sure some of us here would be more than happy to give you some tips or try to help :)

DatDude

Banned
Boy have there been some heart pounding sections so far :O

Do you guys find yourself trying to avoid combat altogether or are you stealthily taking people down? There's just not enough ammo in this game to go for a run and gun approach, not that you'd want to anyways, this game wasn't built to be like that.

Earlier I was taking people down by sneaking up on them, but I just got to a particular section where I avoided the masses and just tried to slither through them all. I'm trying to put myself in their shoes, and what would make sense in that moment. Not that I hope to ever be in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Later on there is good chunk of ammo available.

Honestly this game is really good either way you play it. It's a really awesome stealth game...and it's really awesome action game. Especially the melee. The machete? So fucking satisfying,

Vire

i

Really? I think normal has been pretty fair so far.

You just can't play it like Uncharted, you gotta be methodical about it. Slow your movements so that your reticule minimizes and line up your shots.

Top Bottom