• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. Either I suck at this game or I missed something. I'm in one of the first rooms with a lot of infected dudes:

There's like 1 fully spore dude and a bunch of infected guys. It's in the section after some stairs near the beginning with Ellie and Tes (I think that was her name). You jump down to deal with them. I get the first guy really easily, but after that I feel like I can't stealth anyone. I was hiding behind a fucking table and the thing saw me from across the room once. If I even get into a fight with one of them like that then the spore dude (full on clicker) comes and insta-kills me.

Anyone have some tips? They're all clustered together weirdly

That was tricky for me initially. I've found that I needed to slightly move the analog stick when coming up behind one of the "runners" because it seemed like they could hear me if I didn't. Not sure. Just try to lure them away one by one - they all have a certain path they walk, so watch where they go and try to isolate and strangle them. Use bottles and bricks to distract them if need be - when you want to take down the clicker without using a gun, toss a brick/bottle at it, then run up and melee it (one hit). Try to save the Clicker for last if at all possible.

I always try to sneak past them for this very reason. Also, they tend to scare the hell out me due to all the noises. :\ I think this game has one of the best flashlight implementations ever, really adds a lot to the atmosphere.
I totally agree. I don't think a game has had darkness this good since Chronicles of Riddick or Chaos Theory. It's actually freaking dark and the flashlight adds so much tension

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just started playing on a 100+'' projector in the dark with surround. I have to say for whatever reason I simply was unprepared for that opening.
I don't know if it's just that I didn't expect the story to begin THAT long ago (20 years later?!) or the fact that you control Sarah as your introduction to the world, but fuck.
doesnt even take five minutes to realize that this is, to a tee, one of those games that defines the end of a generation.

antitrop

Stopped after 1 1/2 hours at a rather normal narrative stopping point.

I do have to work until 2:30pm tomorrow, but I hope I can get at least 4 or 5 hours in tomorrow. I wasn't planning on getting very far tonight anyway. This one is going to take me a while, I don't have a day off until Tuesday.

Can most of this game be completed stealthily?

Yes. Or... I have so far. There are a few instances where you just have no choice and you can't stealth, though. For the most part, you are free to stealth your way through most areas.

I like RE4, but TLOU is much better, imo. But they are not really the same type of game - this one is more about survival than RE4 was to me. TLOU actually makes me tense and nervous - RE4 didn't.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
People comparing this with RE4 is giving me boners... but I still doubt any game will top RE4 anytime soon :(

This feels more like half life 2 than RE4 to me. Frankly I don't see RE4 at all here, and it's one of my favorite games.

That's fine to me, though.

DrBo42

This game is better than RE4 to me so far. I just prefer it's gameplay, narrative, production values and casting over RE4. RE4 was never all that special to me in the first place.

For me it'll never top RE4 simply because repeated playthroughs of this game will not be a joy.

iNvid02

So im playing on hard...how should i play this game to maximize fun....because I dont think I can take 15 hours of strangling people

invest in the appropriate upgrades for the offensive approach, throw bottles at guys to stun them then run at them and crush their face with a pipe, Molotovs are always fun, grab a guy to use as a human shield

I mix it up like that from time to time when the stealth approach is getting boring - melee is very satisfying and wil cure what ails ya

For me it'll never top RE4 simply because repeated playthroughs of this game will not be a joy.

Pretty much. Too many stretches of doing nothing. RE4 put its pedal to metal right after Leon stepped out of that police car and never let up. Some incredible and intense combat in TLOU though.

As soon as I reached the first new enemy type(bloaters) I knew I was playing RE4 reincarnated on Ps3.

Btw people playing without listen mode, I don't see why you would do that. But I might give it a swirl. I always use it to see how many enemies I have to take down.

So im playing on hard...how should i play this game to maximize fun....because I dont think I can take 15 hours of strangling people

You can sneak past entirely in a lot of sections. Also, take avatar and use bottles/bricks to create distractions to help you stay hidden or use them to get infected congregated and throw a molly.

DrBo42

invest in the appropriate upgrades for the offensive approach, throw bottles at guys to stun them then run at them and crush their face with a pipe, Molotovs are always fun, grab a guy to use as a human shield

I mix it up like that from time to time when the stealth approach is getting boring - melee is very satisfying and wil cure what ails ya

I hate the trades sometimes when fighting an enemy head on. I swear I get the melee off before this hobo or runner but nope. Can't imagine how bad that must be online.

This game is absolutely incredible. It's not exactly what I thought it would be and that's a good thing. I can now tell which outlets tried to play this as a pure tps and how their complaints stemmed from that.

I haven't tried multiplayer but add me on PSN and we can play tomorrow or something.

Psn: Jechtshot78

As soon as I reached the first new enemy type(bloaters) I knew I was playing RE4 reincarnated on Ps3.

Btw people playing without listen mode, I don't see why you would do that. But I might give it a swirl. I always use it to see how many enemies I have to take down.

I am playing with listen mode on. I don't feel like it is some kind of win button. The game is still challenging on hard.

People comparing this with RE4 is giving me boners... but I still doubt any game will top RE4 anytime soon :(

It's not RE4. The slow first few hours alone stop it from being RE4. The speed at which RE4 happens is entirely up to the player, the speed at which The Last of Us happens, at least from what I've seen so far, is much, much more directed. It won't hold up to multiple playthroughs in the same way, nor does it feel as "crisp."

But hey, not everything can be RE4. At least they're trying. They're really really trying.

antitrop

This game is absolutely incredible. It's not exactly what I thought it would be and that's a good thing. I can now tell which outlets tried to play this as a pure tps and how their complaints stemmed from that.

I haven't tried multiplayer but add me on PSN and we can play tomorrow or something.

Psn: Jechtshot78
Damn, that sucks. I'll add you tomorrow.
Note: It is not currently possible to chat online with your friends, or add friends to your Friends List, from PlayStation.com. Learn more about your Friends List here.

I'll be playing multiplayer.

PSN: antitrop

Btw people playing without listen mode, I don't see why you would do that.

I dunno, I just feel like Listen Mode takes away some of the tension when an area has several clickers/runners/etc. Not knowing where the enemies are makes it all the more intense and satisfying when you get past it or kill them all.

GulAtiCa

Calling it quits on the single player for the night. Currently at 28% done with 3 hours and 10 minutes. If my current rate hold, I should complete the game around 12 hours.

Has anyone actually completed the game yet? I'm curious what people's times are.
Also curious if this game will have any replayability outside of multiplayer.

But I am really enjoying it. Kinda reminds me of HL2 in a way.

Edit: I see the game has a new game +. That's good.
Will any of the upcoming DLC have be of the single player type?

Bladenic

Clickers are terrifying. Really well designed.

Spoiler for about 3 hours in regarding a character
RIP Tess :(

4:30 hours played, only 31%. Feels good. Love the systems. The last part I just did was awesome, super fast paced and tense too.
The part when you meet Bill.

ShogunX

Been enjoying multiplayer for the past hour or two. Haven't played the single player game yet but I'm liking the Gears-esque game type called Survivors.

Took me a few games to figure out what was going on (the manual is utter shit) but now I'm clued up it makes for a very tense experience.

It's not RE4. The slow first few hours alone stop it from being RE4. The speed at which RE4 happens is entirely up to the player, the speed at which The Last of Us happens, at least from what I've seen so far, is much, much more directed. It won't hold up to multiple playthroughs in the same way, nor does it feel as "crisp."

But hey, not everything can be RE4. At least they're trying. They're really really trying.

Good explanation.

RE's pacing is up to you, and generally, it's much more intense than LoU has been. Every step in RE4 had me prairie dogging

The last part I just did was awesome, super fast paced and tense too.
The part when you meet Bill.

That is probably my favorite part in the game so far.
Hanging upside down has been done before in games, but none have done it as well as TLOU. It was crazy, exciting, scary, and just fantastic.

RS4-

Been enjoying multiplayer for the past hour or two. Haven't played the single player game yet but I'm liking the Gears-esque game type called Survivors.

Took me a few games to figure out what was going on (the manual is utter shit) but now I'm clued up it makes for a very tense experience.

I want to say it needs more modes, but I don't know what kind or how. But I do like the deathmatch more than TDM.

Listen mode ruins the tension. In a game like this, realizing there were more/fewer enemies than I realized and having to deal with those consequences is a vital part of the experience. I've had enemies flank me because I didn't see/hear them coming, and it was a more legitimate "jump scare" than any scripted jump scare could ever be.

Do the right thing, turn off listen mode.

No, but when you grab a person from behind they can be used as a human shield.

Right. Thought using dead bodies would be neat but it doesn't really make sense.

With regards to listen mode, I don't think it helps that much. I sub it for peeking around corners which I think was a glaring omission.

Just started playing on a 100+'' projector in the dark with surround. I have to say for whatever reason I simply was unprepared for that opening.
I don't know if it's just that I didn't expect the story to begin THAT long ago (20 years later?!) or the fact that you control Sarah as your introduction to the world, but fuck.
doesnt even take five minutes to realize that this is, to a tee, one of those games that defines the end of a generation.
This exactly. Seems like Naughty Dogs grand finale from the PS3 era 5 minutes in.

Dresden

Listen mode just seems like a poor substitute for lean. It's too powerful for what it is, yet Joel does need something that can peek around corners. It's also clunky to use so I just turned it off entirely for convenience.

I've had enemies flank me because I didn't see/hear them coming, and it was a more legitimate "jump scare" than any scripted jump scare could ever be.

This has happened to me several times. It's pretty crazy, but I love it, lol. Also, when you're in a room full of clickers and the clicking sound they make keeps getting louder and louder, but you don't know where they are coming from. You start to panic. xD

Setre

Really loving this game so far. I'm only 25% of the way through but the story is pretty good and so are the characters, really loved the opening too. There's also nothing more satisfying then chucking a brick at an enemy then bum rushing them and smashing their head in.

DrBo42

That is probably my favorite part in the game so far.
Hanging upside down has been done before in games, but none have done it as well as TLOU. It was crazy, exciting, scary, and just fantastic.

Until you realize
that letting the runners come up to you and initiate QTE is a guaranteed headshot every time you push them off and far more efficient.

antitrop

Listen mode just seems like a poor substitute for lean. It's too powerful for what it is, yet Joel does need something that can peek around corners. It's also clunky to use so I just turned it off entirely for convenience.
You should be able to peek around a corner and see in first person.

It's frustrating that the game was designed around Listen Mode, a tiny bit. Mostly because of the omission of any reasonable way to see around corners without it.

Welp, it looks like I'm TOTALLY not the target for survival-horror games. I don't think I can do one more clicker battle, I'm out.

Game looks good, apart from the horrible tearing, and texture shimmering, but it's an old platform, whadaayagonnado? I don't think it's the best looking game of this gen, but that's because I play a lot of games on PC which is essentially cheating. Definitely not better (for me) than the Uncharted series. I can think of many other games that I liked better than this, and that makes it impossible for it to be a 100/100 game (again, for me -- don't come at me bro).

Listen mode ruins the tension. In a game like this, realizing there were more/few enemies than I realized and having to deal with those consequences is a vital part of the experience. I've had enemies flank me because I didn't see/hear them coming, and it was a more legitimate "jump scare" than any scripted jump scare could ever be.

Do the right thing, turn off listen mode.

You still get this experience with listen mode on. You don't see every enemy, they have to be moving or making noise, and the distance is limited. It's more useful as a tool to predict movements, but even that seems to be super random for most enemies so it doesn't make a difference.

Top Bottom