• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Do you guys recommend to play this on hard in the first playtrough?

Definitely yes. I'm playing on hard but reading other people's comments normal seems to be easier than it should for this kind of game. Hell, I'm getting the feeling that survival is where its at but that's locked untill you finish the game.

Eterniti

Tried Hard, and I never try games on hard, and I highly recommend it if you've been gaming for a long time.

I'm about 4 hours in, but I'm curious what the average playthrough length is for people here?

I say we wait for Digital Foundry to do a full rundown on the game. Some people say its 30fps locked and some say it dips to 10fps.
Im inclined to believe it has drops below 30 and those who say its locked 30 are not sensitive/always played on consoles.

They will probably post a video of a worst case scenario that happens very rarely and people will be like OMG IT'S 15FPS! lol
Anyway, they measured frame-rate of the demo and it was pretty much 30fps with dips to 26 during fights.
There are a couple of cases with big bodies of water that take a bigger hit (water=frame-rate drops on PS3) but it's no blight town and there isn't any combat in those areas anyway.

I'm about 4 hours in, but I'm curious what the average playthrough length is for people here?

Seems to be around 15 hours.

Voltron64

After playing this for about 20 or 30 minutes, my PS3 shuts off and the red light flashes. Is it over heating? Anybody been able to fix this? I don't want to buy a new one so close to the launch of the PS4.

It's a phat 80gb model.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Man this game was standard fare until
you find out Tess is infected and you have to get to Bill. That area where Joel gets caught in the trap and you have to defend Ellie had my heart pounding.
I agree with everyone saying the game is boring in the beginning because now the game is getting better and better. Plus the dialogue between
Ellie and Bill
is funny as shit.

After playing this for about 20 or 30 minutes, my PS3 shuts off and the red light flashes. Is it over heating? Anybody been able to fix this? I don't want to buy a new one so close to the launch of the PS4.

It's a phat 80gb model.

Probably dying I'm sorry to say. Do you have it in a place with enough ventilation? Have the vents seen a vacuum cleaner lately?

traveler

Not Wario
Don't really want to post in detail till I'm through with the game, but I did have one question- was there a stated reason behind putting survivor difficulty behind a single game clear? Is it notably different somehow or is it just another tier of difficulty? I've never really understood why games lock difficulty from the get go. (Unless the difficulty is intended to be approached from a new game+ type scenario or somehow fundamentally breaks the game- in which case I would argue it shouldn't exist at all.)

chessnut

Is it a sixaxis controller? You have to shake it (like a torch) to make your light brighter again. If it's not sixaxis I guess you could go into options and disable tutorials/hints whatever it is so it doesn't stall you moving?

Thanks. Yeah I'm using one, but for some reason it wasn't working. I switched to another one and it worked.

I just started playing this and it seems pretty good. that being said, since I'm working nights all weekend my mind isn't really clicking with the deliberately slow pacing, so I'll rest of playing the game until Monday.

Do you guys recommend to play this on hard in the first playtrough?

In hard everything is a threat if they get close. Not sure about normal but I imagine you'll be able to take a lot more hits from the standard infected. In hard if you get surrounded by a 3 regular enemies you're practically fucked which is pretty nice imo

jett

D-Member
10 FPS? Framerate issues are overblown, especially since this is such a slow paced game. Jeez, people really are finding anything to complain about.

Multiplayer is very tactical but I feel it needs more explanation than I was given. Stuff you buy within a match is only for the match only, apparently, eh. I haven't gotten a feel for it yet. I was signed off PSN in the middle of a match, this has happened a few times while playing SP too. Blah.

cormack12

Gold Member
Don't really want to post in detail till I'm through with the game, but I did have one question- was there a stated reason behind putting survivor difficulty behind a single game clear? Is it notably different somehow or is it just another tier of difficulty? I've never really understood why games lock difficulty from the get go. (Unless the difficulty is intended to be approached from a new game+ type scenario or somehow fundamentally breaks the game- in which case I would argue it shouldn't exist at all.)

Probably because everyone would start on survivor then cry like people did with the trial of archimedes on GoW:A and ask for the difficulty to be lowered.

10 FPS? Framerate issues are overblown, especially since this is such a slow paced game. Jeez, people really are finding anything to complain about.

Welcome to the party...

Man, looking at what I know of the story so far I'm really curious to see how this ends.

Batman

Banned
I can't enjoy this game when it's stuttering nonstop, things don't load and audio doesn't play when they are speaking. What a mess of a game.

zychi

Banned
The stealth in this game is fucking broken. Dude can see me from two buildings over when im crouched behind a wall? Get the fuck outta here

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played for 3 hours last night, and my quick thoughts no spoilers:

Intro: I didn't get why it was being hyped as the best intro ever, honestly. From a design standpoint I loved it, and how ND marries narrative and gameplay. From a narrative standpoint, it was predictable. Then again, a lot of you guys couldn't resist dropping what I'm sure you all considered vague hints, but, to me, were loud abd clear. I still thought the intri was great and set the tone of the game excellently, but yeah, dat hyperbole.

Graphics: I also don't know what kind of TVs you guys are playing the game on, but I'm playing on a 40' 720p Samsung and the game looks amazing. The visuals look sharp, texture work is excellent, and so far the framerate us rock solid. I'm loving the attention to detail and the atmosphere. I've just been soaking it up. The audio is fantastic as well.

Story: Hey, there's actually a narrative and characterization here! I'm loving the characters and interactions so far, and the story is compelling. I'm interested in seeing where it goes. Voice acting is more than just top notch. As is the writing. Naughty Dog has a gift for getting some great talent in their games. Excellent acting here. I also love the worldbuilding tucked away in the collectibles. Great stuff, and helps add layers to the world.

Gameplay: This game reminds me a lot of Demon's/Dark Souls, in that it's very deliberately designed. It's not a third person shooter. It's not Uncharted, and trying to play it like UC will result in a quick death. It's really a stealth game at heart, and being slow and methodical is key. The controls also feel really good and weighty, like Killzone 2. Joel has weight to him.

Yeah, companion AI is funny when they stomp around like morons while I'm bei.g stealthy, but it doesn't break immersion fir me like others. I can't really comment in enemy AI, because I've been stealthing it up and have only been spotted twice, both times being when an enemy turned around as I was about to grab him, so I ended up beating the shit out of him before they could react.

So far, I am loving this game to death, and the praise it's getting is warranted. Sadly, I've been called into the office for OT, so I won't be able to play it again until tonight.

zychi

Banned

It's a phat 80gb model.
Youre about to get the ylod.
Same thing happened to my 80gb a year ago

2 hours in so far. Haven't fired a shot. Tess has fired several though, I lurrrrve this game so far.

edit:
The stealth in this game is fucking broken. Dude can see me from two buildings over when im crouched behind a wall? Get the fuck outta here

As you can see above I haven't done that much but I was the exact opposite. I've been asking myself "he probably should have seen me there"

Emwitus

And done. game of the gen for me...bar none. It get's frustrating at times but it's story over gameplay for me. And all this time i thought i'd read the ending on the internets......glad to know i was wrong.(was completely in the dark about intro and ending, first time that's happened)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Annnnd I'm out of this thread until I complete the game. I scroll up to read some posts, and somebody quoted another poster who was dropping plot spoiler bombs with no fricking spoiler tags. Not end game stuff, but things I'd have rather been in the dark about.

:/

I don't know people are saying they have too much ammo, cause once I fought the
Bloater in the school
, I was down to three shotgun ammo, one revolver, one pistol, no rifle, and five arrows

I got to the demo area. Anyone know how to grab this pendant? I wasted 2 bullets trying to shoot it :(

GuuM0W9.jpg

spannicus

It's a phat 80gb model.

check your local Craigslist guys are usually on there who fix PS3 problems depending on where you live, some will come to you and fix it same day if possible.

Annnnd I'm out of this thread until I complete the game. I scroll up to read some posts, and somebody quoted another poster who was dropping plot spoiler bombs with no fricking spoiler tags. Not end game stuff, but things I'd have rather been in the dark about.

:/

Really sorry about that, I didn't realize quoting removed spoiler tags, that's retarded.

I got to the demo area. Anyone know how to grab this pendant? I wasted 2 bullets trying to shoot it :(

Throw a bottle at it.

Pranay

Welcome to the party. It's fucking frustrating.

Wierd issues especialy the clicker one since i genreally sit at one place till the clicker leaves and then i move, have completed several level with sucessful strealth.

Which area are you in ?

Sorry if its been posted already, but has anyone been able to redeem their gamestop pre-order code? I went to the code redemption page, but TLoU isn't listed for games with code redemption. Just wondering if anybody else had any luck.

Damn I'm disappointed in myself for missing that. I didn't even realize there were things like that out of reach that you could pick up like there was in Uncharted. I should have known. D: There's no telling how many I've missed already. Ah well, that's what a second playthrough is for, eh? :p

I find it hard to believe someone would have trouble justifying a PS3 at this point to be honest. The PS4 doesn't have BC so it's a worthwhile investment. It's not like the PS4 will have hundreds of games in the first months.

I'm completely happy with my 360. I'll probably be getting a PS4, which doesn't help me, but can't justify a PS3 at this point in its life. I guess when the PS4 comes out, the 3 will be pretty cheap.

Grinchy

Banned
I started it out on Hard and I'm about 6ish hours in now. There were a couple spots that I had to re-do 10+ times in a row and I almost decided to go back to normal. I'm glad I didn't. I think I was still just adjusting to the way this game is supposed to be played. It's a bit of an odd game to figure out at first, but it has been so awesome so far.

It's like a good book you just can't put down. Every time I decide I'm at a good stopping point, I turn my PS3 off and I keep wanting to jump back in within 15 minutes.

Top Bottom