• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I'm completely happy with my 360. I'll probably be getting a PS4, which doesn't help me, but can't justify a PS3 at this point in its life. I guess when the PS4 comes out, the 3 will be pretty cheap.

It's possible they might sell ps3 titles on the ps4 store. Kind of how ps2 titles are sold on ps3 currently. So holding out might not be a bad idea.

nowai

Sorry if its been posted already, but has anyone been able to redeem their gamestop pre-order code? I went to the code redemption page, but TLoU isn't listed for games with code redemption. Just wondering if anybody else had any luck.

Yep, mine worked.

Don't go to the TLoU section. From the storefront initial page, scroll down to "redeem code". It's used as a generic code, not specific to TLoU.

Finished the game after 17:30 hours. What a great ending, it's the game of this gen. No it's the game of the last two gens 'cause it's better than Reisdent Evil 4.
Thank you, Naughty Dog. What a fantastic ride.

test_account

XP-39C²
I beat The Last Of Us earlier today (i got it in the mail on Wedensday). Man, i've never played a game that does feeling/emotion this good. The voice acting is amazing! Yesterday and the day before that i stayed up to about 3am because i just wanted to play a bit more, and time went fast. The graphics are also amazing.

The game itself had a pretty good length to it. I played it on hard difficulty, and i used about 17 hours to beat it. This includes much exploration and retries when dying (i died over 100 times). Eventhough i did pretty much exploration, i still managed to miss nearly 40 collectibles. I havnt checked out the multiplayer much yet. I tried a couple of matches earlier, but thats it. I will try more multiplayer later today.

Overall, an amazing game in my opinion! :)

Stuart444

Considering the amount of times I died on normal near the end of the game
with the amount of Fireflies with guns, sneaking/stealth was just so hard :(
, I don't think I'll get around to doing the game on higher difficulties.

Might try some MP tomorrow if I get a chance though.

I had to play a fair bit of the game again due to the glitch that was thankfully solved quickly, but in the end that was mostly a section I enjoyed playing again. This time I managed to get through it completely on stealth, which was a great feeling. You get nice compliments from your companions too as a result.

D23

this game is so fucking intense, i dont remember the last time a game made me sweat, and i feel like i have to take a break.

also this game is pretty fucking hard, way too much trial and error that it started to piss me off.

vpance

I notice sometimes if I'm behind a corner with someone coming around, I can actually move in and grab him. And then other times I won't be able to do it at all. What gives?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, will finally be able to play this tomorrow, but I'm scared shitless the game will smoke my 80gig fatty. Didn't have any problems so far (knock knock), but some of the stories here make me nervous.

95% of my deaths are to clickers. Things will go a lot better once I get the defensive shiv trait.

after a certain point joel is so fucking loaded with weapons its not worth stealthing the infected (if its possible), just shoot them with shotguns. they even drop ammo which is kind of weird

humans are worth stealthing because they are really dumb and lose track of joel if he like ducks down and moves over like two feet

Does anyone else just try and sneak past clickers? Except for the parts where you have to kill them, of course, but they are so unforgiving, adding even more tension. Where do I have to go? Can I get around them? What the fuck is making the clicking noise, anyway? Also, having to get very close to shiv them, and keeping in mind that if you get too close, your jugular is now dinner. SO MUCH TENSION. I keep having to wipe my hands off from the sweat, moreso than normal...

And the sounds of the runners. Whimpering, crying, uneven breathing...poor saps. I found myself a few times just listening, because they're so intriguing. Are they still conscious? If not, why are they crying? I'm only a few hours in, I just got to
meet my friend Bill
so I would assume some of these questions are answered later on?

scurker

The stealth in this game is fucking broken. Dude can see me from two buildings over when im crouched behind a wall? Get the fuck outta here

Actually, it's kind of funny sometimes. I was crouched down next to a doorway and Tess for whatever reason got pushed all the way out into the middle of the door. And of course the NPC is sitting there looking right at her screaming, "WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!? I can't find them!"

Majmun

Got the game on thursday and I just finished it. Took me 20 hours to beat. Hard difficulty.

It's one of the best games I've played this gen. Definitely in my top 5. The game grabbed me from the start and impressed the hell out of me 'til the finish.
Not many games can keep me interested for long nowadays, but TLoU was really hard to put down.

I had very high expectations for this game. Naughty Dog delivered and more. The game is everything I wanted. It plays smoothly and looks great. I loved the scary moments and the great characters. The environments are very detailed and have a lot of variation. I haven't seen any other game with such presentation. The game is a real "total package" for me. Loved it so much.

Pranay

Does anyone else just try and sneak past clickers? Except for the parts where you have to kill them, of course, but they are so unforgiving, adding even more tension. Where do I have to go? Can I get around them? What the fuck is making the clicking noise, anyway? Also, having to get very close to shiv them, and keeping in mind that if you get too close, your jugular is now dinner. SO MUCH TENSION. I keep having to wipe my hands off from the sweat, moreso than normal...

And the sounds of the runners. Whimpering, crying, uneven breathing...poor saps. I found myself a few times just listening, because they're so intriguing. Are they still conscious? If not, why are they crying? I'm only a few hours in, I just got to
meet my friend Bill
so I would assume some of these questions are answered later on?

I have avoided them with the help of bottles and bricks

Seventy5

So...the multiplayer. I think this is my favorite mp of the generation. There is virtually no ladder for uber weapons, run and gun is really dangerous, the guns feel good, and the need to scavenge makes sneaking really important. I find myself not engaging in combat sometimes when I see an enemy, just so I can safely get to nearby supplies. Dropping a mine on a downed guy and killing his teammate when he comes to revive him is so satisfying. It is such a refreshing take, I really love it. My most successful matches have been games where people stick together. I didn't think I'd play much multi until I finished sp, but I have almost twice as much time logged in mp. This game is so good, it deserves every 10 it got.

Stuart444

Okay so I decided "Why not" and will do Survivor now. Only thing I don't like is, I can't do NG+ on a higher difficulty than what I beat it at so if I want 100% trophies, I need to do one normal new game on Survivor and then NG+ Survivor.

Also going to try and get all the collectibles which may be harder on Survivor.

Anyone know, on Survivor, what is the difference? Ammo/Weapons? Do you take more damage? etc

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tess is such a badass :eek:
Should've seen it coming but I didn't. That scene is gonna be replayed multiple times. Better acting from digital characters in those few minutes than in plenty of summer blockbusters.

Anybody else get intense, possibly overt
Ravenholm
vibes in the lead-up to and meeting Bill?

Pranay

after a certain point joel is so fucking loaded with weapons its not worth stealthing the infected (if its possible), just shoot them with shotguns. they even drop ammo which is kind of weird

You only get that much ammo when you really have a lot of clickers and shooting is only an option if you have upgraded your weapon completely with quick reload otherwise mostly you will die if your not quick.

motoliv cocktail is the best way to kill them when multiples are their

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I started it out on Hard and I'm about 6ish hours in now. There were a couple spots that I had to re-do 10+ times in a row and I almost decided to go back to normal. I'm glad I didn't. I think I was still just adjusting to the way this game is supposed to be played. It's a bit of an odd game to figure out at first, but it has been so awesome so far.

It's like a good book you just can't put down. Every time I decide I'm at a good stopping point, I turn my PS3 off and I keep wanting to jump back in within 15 minutes.
There are quirks and contrivances for sure, but once you get the hang of the controls, movement speeds, Joel's and enemy abilities and limitations, the gameplay is pretty pitch-perfect. I have a small number of deaths and every single one was entirely my fault.

I don't think I can possibly recommend Normal over Hard unless you don't actually desire the challenge. Resource and ammo placement on Hard is outstanding. It really makes you feel like scrounging for hidden stuff is worthwhile (something I usually loathe doing in games), and every shot actively counts because it's not just whether or not you'll make it through this encounter but how prepared you'll be for the next one. When things go wrong and there's chaos, the feeling of personal frustration at having wasted a bunch of ammo needlessly afterward is pretty unique among games I can think of. Actually, twice now I've said "shit" aloud simultaneously with Joel in that situation.

Mupod

I notice sometimes if I'm behind a corner with someone coming around, I can actually move in and grab him. And then other times I won't be able to do it at all. What gives?

From what I've seen, if they're alerted you can't.

You only get that much ammo when you really have a lot of clickers and shooting is only an option if you have upgraded your weapon completely with quick reload otherwise mostly you will die if your not quick.

motoliv cocktail is the best way to kill them when multiples are their

Yeah try the Zombi U strategy - lure them with a distraction brick then molotov or bomb.

I've been playing for 5 hours and I'm already at 43%. But the game's supposed to be 15-20 hours?

Really don't want this game to end...

I'm at the
hotel lobby

D23

does this game reminds you of a movie called
Children of men
?

i put a spoiler tag cause the plot of that movie and the game plot have a little resemblance.. its kinda cool

does this game reminds you of a movie called
Children of men
?
That and "The road" too.Like someoney has said it is like a good book you cant leave although i am trying to play in short sessions to make it last longer as it will be a long time for the next Naughty Dog game...

DukeBobby

I've been playing for 5 hours and I'm already at 43%. But the game's supposed to be 15-20 hours?

Really don't want this game to end...

I'm at the
hotel lobby

I had played for 9 hours at that point, because I tend to run around the same room 6-7 times to make sure I've got everything. I did the same thing in Bioshock Infinite. I hate missing things.

The multiplayer seems really terrible after about 30 minutes. None of the mechanics seem to work. they need to get rid of the wounded state. I got caught in a firefight outnumbered, and everytime I got someone the whole team would just revive them making it pointless. The punching is messed up too. I shot someone, had full health, ambushed them, punched first, and they still won with both of us slamming square. We had a member of our team stealth killed right in front of us, had 3 people run up and punch him and he still just runs away full speed without getting stunned or slowed down.

It feels like there are 1-2 ways to exploit the combat and that's already all anyone wants to do.
It reminds me so much of StrangleHold MP.

Top Bottom