• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Lol, even mass effect 1 on console not getting sub 10 in the worst moments, stop to overreact now.

I know what I saw, I was running through water and the game had a fit and ran at sub 10. I am not saying it always hits that low in fact very rarely but it did at certain parts which is unacceptable.

Either way normal playing for me still wasn't a solid 30.

omonimo

Banned
You could say it about any game, yes, but this game runs worse, and has worse image quality than UC2, it's clearly beyond the realms of the PS3 to run to the standard of UC2, and that was years ago.

UC3 seems a great improvement compared to UC2 for my eyes.

StuBurns

Banned
UC3 seems a great improvement compared to UC2 for my eyes.
This game isn't UC3, and I disagree anyway, the AA solution in UC3 resulted in some brutal aliasing, I prefer the softer image of UC2, it also ran worse, and dropped motion blur (although it patched it back in, so I can't speak to how it looks now)

omonimo

Banned
I know what I saw, I was running through water and the game had a fit and ran at sub 10. I am not saying it always hits that low in fact very rarely but it did at certain parts which is unacceptable.

Either way normal playing for me still wasn't a solid 30.

I'm not saying don't drop below 30 but sub 10 fps? O_O Forgive me, but I doubt.

You could say it about any game, yes, but this game runs worse, and has worse image quality than UC2, it's clearly beyond the realms of the PS3 to run to the standard of UC2, and that was years ago.

The game does a lot of things UC2 doesn't. By that logic they should've called it quits in 2009 and just wait a couple of years for PS4 devkits.

omonimo

Banned
This game isn't UC3, and I disagree anyway, the AA solution in UC3 resulted in some brutal aliasing, I prefer the softer image of UC2, it also ran worse, and dropped motion blur (although it patched it back in, so I can't speak to how it looks now)

UC2 has softer image of UC3? I have the game but it's absolutely ... opinable now. Performance are quite comparable from DF analysis, I don't remember great differences even there.

Gacha-pin

Thanks for your reply (this thread is moving fast!)

Do you mean you can choose in game text/subtitle/audio freely as in freely toggle them each between English/Japanese? If so that would be ideal.

I don't actually mind about any toned down violence, as I'm hoping to play through with my wife. Would rather just appreciate the action and drama ;) If you have any idea how they might censor a title like this then I'd be curious to know.

Yes like English for voice audio and Japanese for subtitle.

Bladenic

Anyone find any cool Easter eggs or anything referencing other ND series?

Only thing I seen is one of the trophies being titled Master of Unlocking (RE) and there are some unlockables for Ellie like Jak's goggles. Otherwise I haven't seen anything, but I'm only 35% done.

UC2 has softer image of UC3? I have the game but it's absolutely ... opinable now.

It doesn't. UC2 uses MSAA which is sharper than the FXAA used in UC3 and TLOU. Dropping MSAA was the only way to improve the engine in other areas, it's too demanding on the PS3's gpu, it was a worthwhile trade-off.

Anyone find any cool Easter eggs or anything referencing other ND series?

I'm expecting an uncharted easter egg but haven't found it yet. Lot's of giraffes though.

StuBurns

Banned
The game does a lot of things UC2 doesn't. By that logic they should've called it quits in 2009 and just wait a couple of years for PS4 devkits.
I know it does a lot of things UC2 doesn't, it could do a lot more and run at 5FPS, would you be happy about that too? The ultimate performance of the game should be designed around, not design whatever you want then just put it out regardless of performance.

omonimo

Banned
It doesn't. UC2 uses MSAA which is sharper than the FXAA used in UC3 and TLOU. Dropping MSAA was the only way to improve the engine in other areas, it's too demanding on the PS3's gpu, it was a worthwhile trade-off.

UC3 not use FXAA, it's a custom PPAA & work a lot better in different situations compared to the 2xMSAA in my opinion. In any case even FXAA is most efficient of 2xMSAA for ps360 considering the price of the multisampler aa & the final results..

Quikies83

Just 3 hours in
in the Museum and there are 3 clickers patrolling - i need a shiv to open a door in what looks to be like a cafeteria. I don't have a shiv, lack just a bit before I can craft one
Any ideas?

edit: *sigh* nevermind.. found another set of double doors that I could open at the end of a hallway... but still.. i need a shiv.

The_Monk

I don't want this game to end. About 5 Hours in and I sure am taking my sweet time. No rush, trying to be as stealth as I can but I mess up some time.

My backlog can wait forever because I'm not going to touch much else right now.

I know it does a lot of things UC2 doesn't, it could do a lot more and run at 5FPS, would you be happy about that too? The ultimate performance of the game should be designed around, not design whatever you want then just put it out regardless of performance.

I wouldn't be happy about 5fps, but I'm mostly happy with what I'm seeing here, which is on par with the performance I experience in 95% of PS3 games, except I'm getting better visuals than in any of them in return.

UC3 not use FXAA, it's a custom PPAA & work a lot better in different situations compared to the 2xMSAA in my opinion. In any case even FXAA is most efficient of 2xMSAA for ps360 considering the price of the multisampler aa & the final results..

Yeah, that's it, bottom line is that it's a form of post process AA that is less demanding than MSAA which was my point regardless of what this specific solution is called.

gadwn

Sub 10? ....yeah... no.

It's inconsistent but nowhere that bad. Never had a drop close to that. Might be hardware related.

Vally

Yeah.

This is the way I took it. If they'd said that rather than The Road, and No Country for Old Men, I'd have understood even better.

Probably my favourite film of all time, despite some issues.

They did acknowledge in several interviews that they were inspired by Children of Men as well.

StuBurns

Banned
I wouldn't be happy about 5fps, but I'm mostly happy with what I'm seeing here, which is on par with the performance I experience in 95% of PS3 games, except I'm getting better visuals than in any of them in return.
I'm mostly happy with the performance too, but some people are clearly seeing it buckle, and that sucks for them.

zychi

Banned
One more question before i start again. Is the save glitch fixed? I got through the intro with uncle tommy, saved and quit last night. I had the 1.01 update before instarted.Should i restart to be safe? Or is there a way to tell if my save is messed up?

I'm mostly happy with the performance too, but some people are clearly seeing it buckle, and that sucks for them.

Sucks for them, yeah.

One more question before i start again. Is the save glitch fixed? I got through the intro with uncle tommy, saved and quit last night. I had the 1.01 update before instarted.Should i restart to be safe? Or is there a way to tell if my save is messed up?

It's fixed, don't waste your time even thinking about it.

Sub 10? ....yeah... no.

It's inconsistent but nowhere that bad. Never had a drop close to that. Might be hardware related.

I'm not saying don't drop below 30 but sub 10 fps? O_O Forgive me, but I doubt.

There is an easy way to test outside of the museum with the water walk and run around in the water for a while the FPS got very low there. Im just saying it DOES get that low but it isn't consistent whereas below 30 is and that makes the game very hard to play and is a lot more of a problem. It doesn't help im shit with a controller but when it doesnt help when I am trying to line up a shot and contesting with the frame rate.

There is a very sour feeling in my mouth about this game because of the save problems so maybe I was imagining things but I am pretty sure the FPS dropped to sub 10 for a little while.

Some complaints so far:

-Joel should be MUCH better at shooting, he owned a gun in his house and has spent a very long time doing this shit so you'd think he'd be able to steady himself a bit more

-Crafting is a bit poor considering you find tape and scissors EVERYWHERE. I have never seen so many damn scissors in my life lol

-You get way too much ammo. I don't like shooting because it doesn't feel like a viable option or an effective option due to point 1 above so I stealth around, but I have tonnes of ammo for my guns and wasn't the game supposed to be short on supplies?

-The companion AI isn't as good as I expected. Rushing into open areas and even walking passed guys who are searching for you really breaks that suspension of disbelief. I understand the point of it but it's an immersion killer.

-Obvious issues with visuals like shimmering edges that are very distracting, poor framerate at times and inconsistent visuals overall. Some scenes look amazing while others feel flat

Overall though I am enjoying the game a lot and some of those can be whittled away with harder difficulties

Some complaints so far:

-Joel should be MUCH better at shooting, he owned a gun in his house and has spent a very long time doing this shit so you'd think he'd be able to steady himself a bit more

-Crafting is a bit poor considering you find tape and scissors EVERYWHERE. I have never seen so many damn scissors in my life lol

-You get way too much ammo. I don't like shooting because it doesn't feel like a viable option or an effective option due to point 1 above so I stealth around, but I have tonnes of ammo for my guns and wasn't the game supposed to be short on supplies?

-The companion AI isn't as good as I expected. Rushing into open areas and even walking passed guys who are searching for you really breaks that suspension of disbelief. I understand the point of it but it's an immersion killer.

-Obvious issues with visuals like shimmering edges that are very distracting, poor framerate at times and inconsistent visuals overall. Some scenes look amazing while others feel flat

Overall though I am enjoying the game a lot and some of those can be whittled away with harder difficulties

Change the difficulty to sort the 2nd and 3rd point.

I am struggling as is. No shiv or med pack materials, and no scissors in ages.

Sethos

Banned
Man the stealth in this game is awful. One minute, you can practically run past people with a marching orchestra playing the full salute. Next, in a building, the infected will spot me through a doorway while I'm sitting in a pitch black room. Already regret playing on Hard, so boring.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Good. Listen mode off I presume? Turn the other crap off too while you're at it. I haven't even played with strategic tips on but sounds like something you should turn off lol.

Yeah, I turned listen mode off first thing. I'm a PC gamer, so aiming with the controller is a little difficult right now. I need more practice. Can't wait to dig in today.

Man the stealth in this game is awful. One minute, you can practically run past people with a marching orchestra playing the full salute. Next, in a building, the infected will spot me through a doorway while I'm sitting in a pitch black room. Already regret playing on Hard, so boring.

Change the difficulty it makes it a bit better but not much. I always get found by clickers even when sitting in the corner of a room not moving an inch.

StuBurns

Banned
I didn't use listen mode, and I can't even imagine what I would have used it for. There was some discussion about if the game was going to have been built around it, and removing it would break it, but I feel like it must be an after thought.

MMaRsu

Just 3 hours in
in the Museum and there are 3 clickers patrolling - i need a shiv to open a door in what looks to be like a cafeteria. I don't have a shiv, lack just a bit before I can craft one
Any ideas?

edit: *sigh* nevermind.. found another set of double doors that I could open at the end of a hallway... but still.. i need a shiv.

Every door that needs a shiv is an optional door, usually the rooms have supply's in them.

SaberVulcan

Just 3 hours in
Any ideas?

Its just supplies.

MMaRsu

Uhm.. probably doing it wrong. The infected can see you if you are not behind cover. Clickers can't see you at all if you stay still.

With infected you won't hear the audio cue of you being seen, but with normal people you will.

Sethos

Banned
Change the difficulty it makes it a bit better but not much. I always get found by clickers even when sitting in the corner of a room not moving an inch.

This isn't even difficulty related any more. Was sitting in the same said room, it's not a patrol area and suddenly an infected walks in, conveniently patrols past me while sitting behind a desk, walks slowly and BAM turns around, looks at me and alerts everyone else. I've had to load this section 20 fucking times now. He doesn't patrol that area when I'm not there.

Uhm.. probably doing it wrong. The infected can see you if you are not behind cover. Clickers can't see you at all if you stay still.

Oh I need to sit behind cover, I was totally unaware man. I was sitting bang in the middle of the room with my flashlight on going "Why can these guys see me? Hmmm".

Bankoiia

I find it hard to scrape up enough supplies for a single shiv. I'm in the
Museum
. Having to pass by a shiv door, and barely having used any on the clickers is kinda 'meh'.

cormack12

Gold Member
What sort of success are people having with bow and arrow? Feels too underpowered to do anything for me. Have one upgrade for it (distance +20% I think). Anyone finding it effective for particular enemies or setups?

This isn't even difficulty related any more. Was sitting in the same said room, it's not a patrol area and suddenly an infected walks in, conveniently patrols past me while sitting behind a desk, walks slowly and BAM turns around, looks at me and alerts everyone else. I've had to load this section 20 fucking times now. He doesn't patrol that area when I'm not there.

Oh I need to sit behind cover, I was totally unaware man. I was sitting bang in the middle of the room with my flashlight on going "Why can these guys see me? Hmmm".

the flashlight doesn't affect infected if you didn't know

chessnut

so I can't move and my flash light is flicking. On the bottom left of the screen it is telling me to shake the controller, but nothing is happening. wtf is this?

Top Bottom