• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

MMaRsu

Please, count up all of the inane bullshit in this game (moving a box to get on top of something, getting a pallet to move a character across water, boosting another character up so they can pull you up, and moving ladders around) and tell me that it doesn't add up to a decent amount of time. Not even counting the parts of the game where you are basically just holding forward and seeing beautiful video game art assets. That shit was so tiring, I would have honestly rather seen a load screen honestly if they couldn't find a better way to mask it.

Inane bullshit? Fuck man, if you found all that inane i hope you never played rpg's or something.

JawzPause

Please, count up all of the inane bullshit in this game (moving a box to get on top of something, getting a pallet to move a character across water, boosting another character up so they can pull you up, and moving ladders around) and tell me that it doesn't add up to a decent amount of time. Not even counting the parts of the game where you are basically just holding forward and seeing beautiful video game art assets. That shit was so tiring, I would have honestly rather seen a load screen honestly if they couldn't find a better way to mask it.

I don't understand what you are annoyed about. Do you want the whole game to be constant sneaking around/gunfight gameplay? Of course there's going to be some downtime between events, where you do some light puzzles & scavenge around for items. I didn't love those parts, but It didn't subtract from the experience.

Dresden

By the way, how do I use Shiv Master? Bought the first upgrade and I still have enough pills for the second. Do I just mash triangle when Joel gets grappled by a clicker?

did resi4 have like 2 hours of pressing forward and pressing triangle to lower ladders though, which makes the game almost unreplayable? did it have like, kind of broken combat (broken in a way that favors the player)? did it have checkpoints every 30 seconds?

edit: Also where is my mercenaries mode or other optional modes. No joke actually, I think an optional mode where you have limited resources and have to do an objective (kill all enemies, kill all enemies without being detected, get to the exit, etc) on a map (with no checkpoints, with scoring/time ranking) could be cool.

But Resi4 had about 4-6 hours of inventory management.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I think it works well in this game. You sound too impatient.

This is a great game, but the amount of sloooooooooow walking/slow "puzzles" and shit you do, I can't see myself replaying it any time soon. RE4 this aint.

I don't understand what you are annoyed about. Do you want the whole game to be constant sneaking around/gunfight gameplay? Of course there's going to be some downtime between events, where you do some light puzzles & scavenge around for items. I didn't love those parts, but It didn't subtract from the experience.

image.php

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is a great game, but the amount of sloooooooooow walking/slow "puzzles" and shit you do, I can't see myself replaying it any time soon. RE4 this aint.

image.php

In all seriousness though, HL2 had a lot of slow moving sections, a lot of slow walking, and of course the absolutely painfully long vehicle sections.

Is there more than one ending to this game?
The ending kind of left me wanting more. So fucked up that Joel just basically fucked over the entire planet out of selfishness. Thanks alot pal.
Also any difference in playing a +game after beating it versus just another regular game?

Fletcher

I really really like this game. Which is very strange because I find myself thinking how slow it is at times.

This game is really fucking hard for me, too. Not sure why. Aiming isn't so hot and the one hit kills from the clickers is messing me up. I need to hurry and find more pills.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I think it works well in this game. You sound too impatient.

I have all the patience in the world for media that is engaging in some form. Press triangle to see elaborate animation or slowly moving a pallet across water for the fifth time is not very engaging or intellectually stimulating.

The last 10-15 hours of my gameplay time prior to The Last of Us was trying to 1CC Ghost 'n Goblins, a 10 minute long arcade game, for instance.

The best thing:
Smoking a cigarette while playing the Survivor game mode in multiplayer, moving slow, fearing getting spotted, smoke rising. So badass.

This really feels like MP you should never play unless you have a dedicated team of people. Randoms aren't going to cut it at all.

This is true or at least if some of your teammates have mics. That can help immensely for the teamwork and notifying people where enemies are. From what I've played so far, if I am in a game where at least 3 people have mics on my team (including myself) then we will do extremely well. If not, and it seems like the other team does (from pre-game chatter), we will get dominated.

It also helps just to stick near teammates in general and is the best when everyone runs as a group to overwhelm the other team with numbers. So far it's pretty hard to go against a group of 3 or more running together unless you have the exact same number, are outfitted better or are a much better shot and quicker at it.

Unless you get lucky and get behind them but if they're communicating it's still hard to take out more than one or two.

I know I'm going to love the SP when I start it but all I can play right now is MP, and I'm just playing with randoms. I don't give a what.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has anyone beat the game and moved onto survivor? I'm curious about what changes there, hard is way too easy to me.

The amount of downtime is one of my favourite things about this game. Before I played it I was worried it was just going to become too action orientated.

When you get attacked it feels incredibly brutal and sudden, especially if you have a good sound system or headphones turned up loud. I don't think you'd get this if it was more of a shooter.

The greatest achievement is the atmosphere, I can almost smell the damp as I'm scavenging, something else that would be compromised if you were shooting bad guys on a more regular basis.

I'm about 60% into the game and I'm loving it. I'm a big fan of Children of Men and the book The Road, this game feels like a great mix of the two.

I think this has lived up (mostly) to the hype.

klier

Guys, there appears to be some software update (1.01) but every time I try to download it my PS3 restarts without anything happening.

WTF is this shit?

Dresden

If anything there's too much combat. My favorite parts of the game involve going through the levels, scavenging for supplies while listening to the NPC banter. When the violence comes it should be sudden and quick. But when you're tossed into one area after another with the onus of clearing out the random mooks contained within, it gets really repetitive.

Is there any reason to shoot a human shield, besides looking badass? Does it have any effects on the other enemies? It seems to me like a waste of a bullet that could be used for someone else

I have all the patience in the world for media that is engaging in some form. Press triangle to see elaborate animation or slowly moving a pallet across water for the fifth time is not very engaging or intellectually stimulating.

The last 10-15 hours of my gameplay time prior to The Last of Us was trying to 1CC Ghost 'n Goblins, a 10 minute long arcade game, for instance.

You're just pointing out the downtime or palate-cleansing activities disguised as the relatively mundane reality that these characters inhabit. It's never going to make an exciting gameplay montage, but most of these things never do. I agree that it's not quality time spent in a game situation, but the experience could suffer without it breaking up what is really a fairly straight-forward action game peppered and bookended by cinematic realism.

Holy shit at the
sniper in the house
mission, best of the game so far, can't believe there is a third act people are saying gets better.

Lakitu

st5fu
God, it's times like these I wish I had PS3... maybe I should steal my brothers... or maybe someone on GAF can buy me one :D or someone can help me fix my old big PS3 lol

Gorillaz

That entire
upside down segment
is such a pain in the ass.......

Stopped playing for a bit because my ps3 was making such a loud as noise and alot of people I talk to say ND games have a tendecy to burn out the ps3's blue ray laser and/or brick a ps3

other then that loving it

Zemm

hahahahahahaha stop

I literally can't stop laughing

Nothing he said is wrong. It's just different people have different tolerances for that stuff so you for example might not mind all of that whilst something else finds it annoying. I'm kind of inbetween, it does hamper replayability but it's not really a big deal for me.

To those complaining about the "boring" parts compared to RE4:

Not every game has to be or should be nonstop action for 20 hours straight. Unfortunately most games are. It's called pacing. TLOU is perfectly paced. An intense opening, a slow burn introduction to the characters and the world interspersed with moments of violent conflict, the main plot and motivations are established, and the tension and intensity begins to ramp up. There are moments of high activity (conflict) and moments of low activity (exploration, brief puzzles, etc.). The slower moments give the action a sense of weight and unexpectedness. And the action enhances the sense of calm and relief in the slower moments

It's called pacing

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That entire
upside down
segment is such a pain in the ass.......

Stopped playing for a bit because my ps3 was making such a loud as noise and alot of people I talk to say ND games have a tendecy to burn out the ps3's blue ray laser and/or brick a ps3

other then that loving it
You kiddin that was amazing!

Yeah my PS3 sounds like it's about to take off into space too

Dresden

you sure? I don't have it yet but it does specifically say only 'full durability' shivs won't break. Not that I know how to check a shiv's durability.

Yeah, I spent the last ten minutes trying it out. Full durability, full stock of shivs, doesn't matter. They still get used up during a clicker grab.

Top Bottom