• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My ps3 fans go into overdrive after playing this for a while.

Also, I noticed these white dots in the top of my screen when in vision mode
4VGeuS4.jpg

derExperte

For me the jump started in Lincoln.

Good to hear. I apparently stopped right before that and up until now it was good but kind of ordinary and the story has been utterly predictable. So much so that I cringed a few times.
Ellie is immune and might be the cure? Oh come on.

Also, I noticed these white dots in the top of my screen when in vision mode

I noticed that too. The game certainly has technical problems. In the forest before Lincoln there is an area when I look up most of the details on the ground disappear reproducibly. Also the framerate is all but stable. I wish this was next gen, it could look glorious but the PS3 just doesn't cut it.

Mupod

Yeah, I spent the last ten minutes trying it out. Full durability, full stock of shivs, doesn't matter. They still get used up during a clicker grab.

That sucks. It sounded like the best ability ever at the start of the game, but now that I have a shotgun I wasn't planning on dropping 100 pills on it anyways.

upgrade 2 just makes a shiv last longer.. in certain situations, it is still only a one time usage thing..

You are confusing the manual with the supplements upgrade.

Phreak47

OMG, MY DEAL JUST GOT SWEETER

Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $0.04 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

The Last of Us
Price on order date: $59.99
Price charged at shipping: $59.99 Lowest price before release date: $59.95
Amount to be refunded: $0.04 (+ $0.00 tax)
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $0.04

$0.04 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The Last of Us

OMG! US$ 0.04!! That's an amazing deal! Thanks, Amazon!

Toilet roll.

Why are there rolls of toilet paper everywhere? I'm sure wiping your ass with toilet roll would be one of the last luxuries humanity would cling to (in the west). Each roll would be worth a small fortune after a year or two. Totally immersion breaking!

joke

vilmer_

I am getting my ass handed to me in the Downtown area, the area is packed with baddies and my only option is to run (screen prompt), but I'm running in circles :lol

The Lamp

The performance stutters at times hut really no other game but a Naughty Dog game looks like this on PS3. It's amazing. Not just the graphical detail but the art style itself. I love exploring this tattered, destroyed city.

Yuterald

Traded in a few things and picked this up on impulse. I wasn't really looking forward to this game, to be quite honest. I've always liked the look/vibe of the game when I first saw it announced and the survival horror aspect always had me intrigued. I stayed away from all media on this game since it was announced too so I went in pretty blind.

Intro was neat, but I wasn't overly moved or anything.
Honestly, the tension/atmosphere was killed for me when some random NPC tailed my ass and made me skip/move forward at a faster pace. Oh, and there were a few parts where I guess I wasn't moving fast enough or got stuck on an object and an infected "game over"-ed me.

I'm about an hour and a half in, at some docks, and the game isn't all that interesting yet. I do love the environments though and the way the game looks. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but these Half-Life 2-like scripted moments, stuff that first/third person shooter/action game have been doing for years now, still seem extremely silly to me. That first hour wandering the streets/shanty town, seeing "quarantined" areas where people act out scripted scenarios, almost feels Zoo-like to me. The more realistic a game strives to be, the more apparent these issues become for me. It's like I'm some guest walking by one of those "Amazing Tents of Horrors". Or rather, I'm on the other side of the wall watching some pit of tigers or lions do their thing. Anyone get what I'm saying?

I was really hesitant to pick this up, but I definitely want to see it to the end. Hopefully it gets a little more interesting the further I get, as I'm still early in the game.

I'm not the type of person to be spooked by horror games or movies at all but a couple levels in this game so far have been really really tense. Not necessarily scary but tense and spooky.

Bravo Naughty Dog.

Main level in question:
The waterlogged basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh

Gorillaz

You kiddin that was amazing!

Yeah my PS3 sounds like it's about to take off into space too

i didn't spoiler tag it before since it was kind of ambigous of what I meant and where it was but i re did it again since it was best...but yea dude that section...and mind you i'm hungover was so fucking crazy and then all of a sudden my PS3 sounded like a jet. Turned it off in a heartbeat lol

Is there any reason to shoot a human shield, besides looking badass? Does it have any effects on the other enemies? It seems to me like a waste of a bullet that could be used for someone else

The Last of Us

I also got that email. Amazon really made my day!

:p

To those complaining about the "boring" parts compared to RE4:

Not every game has to be or should be nonstop action for 20 hours straight. Unfortunately most games are. It's called pacing. TLOU is perfectly paced. An intense opening, a slow burn introduction to the characters and the world interspersed with moments of violent conflict, the main plot and motivations are established, and the tension and intensity begins to ramp up. There are moments of high activity (conflict) and moments of low activity (exploration, brief puzzles, etc.). The slower moments give the action a sense of weight and unexpectedness. And the action enhances the sense of calm and relief in the slower moments

It's called pacing

Unfortunately some people don't understand that or are expecting the game to be something it isn't.
This game was never going to please everyone.
Oh well, I love it and that's all I care about.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is there any reason to shoot a human shield, besides looking badass? Does it have any effects on the other enemies? It seems to me like a waste of a bullet that could be used for someone else

Saves a shiv and time over strangling, also if you don't kill the shield fast enough they break free with an attack.

I'm about an hour and a half in, at some docks, and the game isn't all that interesting yet. I do love the environments though and the way the game looks. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but these Half-Life 2-like scripted moments, stuff that first/third person shooter/action game have been doing for years now, still seem extremely silly to me. That first hour wandering the streets/shanty town, seeing "quarantined" areas where people act out scripted scenarios, almost feels Zoo-like to me. The more realistic a game strives to be, the more apparent these issues become for me. It's like I'm some guest walking by one of those "Amazing Tents of Horrors". Or rather, I'm on the other side of the wall watching some pit of tigers or lions do their thing. Anyone get what I'm saying?

I was really hesitant to pick this up, but I definitely want to see it to the end. Hopefully it gets a little more interesting the further I get, as I'm still early in the game.

When I was reading your post all I could think of was Bioshock Infinite.

I don't think this game suffers from that as bad as you say though, maybe early on when they are establishing the game world.

Mupod

I haven't used human shields at all but it takes a long ass time to strangle somebody and you can still take damage, so faster = better. Most of my deaths against human enemies come from getting caught during stealth kills.

I rarely seem to have many bullets when fighting humans to begin with, and I definitely refuse to waste shotgun shells on them.

CrisKre

After 5 hours the game has grown on me. I don't think this type of games are particularly my cup of tea, but the narrative, set pieces and atmosphere are all top notch. Fantastic acting as well.
Gameplay wise, I find it a bit lacking. The game plays itself a bit more than id like and the experience is too narrow for my tastes. Id give it a solid 8 do far.

Great experience, but yeah, citizen kane of video games is still Super Metroid. This ain't even close.

After 5 hours the game has grown on me. I don't think this type of games are particularly my cup of tea, but the narrative, set pieces and atmosphere are all top notch. Fantastic acting as well.
Gameplay wise, I find it a bit lacking. The game plays itself a bit more than id like and the experience is too narrow for my tastes. Id give it a solid 8 do far.

Great experience, but yeah, citizen kane of video games is still Super Metroid. This ain't even close.

Metroid Fusion is the citizen kane of games.
It's polarizing, yet the top of it's genre.

Inversive

I'm not the type of person to be spooked by horror games or movies at all but a couple levels in this game so far have been really really tense. Not necessarily scary but tense and spooky.

Bravo Naughty Dog.

Main level in question:

lol I shat bricks during that part!

CrisKre

Metroid Fusion is the citizen kane of games.
It's polarizing, yet the top of it's genre.
Fusion is amazing, yes. But Super came first and it was so radically perfect the impact was much stronger. With fusion, though sublime, we had already seen the Heights metroid could get to. Hence making it less shockingly good in my eyes, at least perception wise.

Phreak47

Nope, enemies automatically randomly drop loot when they die but only if they were fighting you. They don't drop anything if you stealth killed them.

Ah, that makes sense. It ensures you aren't ever able to hoard supplies and keeps you feeling desperate for them no matter what you do.

I'm 6 hours or so in (about to go back) and I've been going for stealth/strangles as much as possible.

My favorite battle so far (no spoiler)... an area full of soldiers.. picked them off by strangling, one by one, undetected... but when I was strangling the second to last guy, the last one spotted me and charged. Was able to drop the guy just in time and beat down the charging guy with my beatin' stick without a scratch. Awesome.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Anyone else finding this game a bit frustrating? There's way too much stealth involved and if you get caught, you get swarmed and are thrown in a pretty much un-winnable battle. I would like to just headshot some enemies but I can only really do that if there are only few around(at which point it's stupid to waste your ammo).

Nope, enemies automatically randomly drop loot when they die but only if they were fighting you. They don't drop anything if you stealth killed them.

I've had a runner drop loot when I stealth killed her....

abrack08

I'm sure this has been touched on but were reviewers and people with early copies straight up lying? Or is there something funny going on with the % complete? I'm 4h 23m in and 41% complete. That doesn't fit the 16-22 hour campaign I was told about :(. I'm exploring every extra building/room I see, occasionally taking time to just look at the sights, not running into fights guns blazing, so I don't think I'm rushing through it.

Loving the game though, after the so-so first two hours. Don't want to stop playing.

Alucrid

Banned

Bravo Naughty Dog.

Main level in question:

As soon as I entered there I was like, "Fuck this shit."

and by the end I was "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK"

Just got the game last night and started playing it today.

The game is really good so far but I would already not give it a perfect score since I think there are a few things off with the enemy AI and also the cover system could have been improved (sometimes the guy just keeps looking the wrong way of a door, for example).

But, aside from those couple of things, the game is just amazing. The characters and voice acting are great, the music, the pace of the action, the combat and stealth aspects of it... it's just super fun. And the graphics of course are astounding, although I don't really see a big jump from Uncharted's tbh.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I feel better seeing that its not just my PS3 that starts getting ready for take off after playing this game for awhile.
Well not better. I can't stand how loud the fans are. So loud I shut the console down to let it cool off for a bit.

Phreak47

I've had very limited gunplay (trying to use that as a last resort) but it seems like fallen foes drop ammo only when you shoot them.

Most of my encounters go like this:

Sneak around trying to strangle individual runners. Grab objects to distract clickers. End goal is to separate runners from clickers so I can take care of them without much distraction. But due to unpredictable patrol patterns, I get caught trying to strangle a runner and I start sprinting like a mad man trying to lose line of sight but as I'm running, surprise! clicker grabs me and ends the game :(

Re-do. This time with more aggression and less stealthing around like a goddamn mouse. I wish this game had goddamn BEAR TRAPS.

Sean

Banned
Question about New Game +

Does everything carry over? I'm near the end of the game and have 40 pills (the upgrade I want is 100), should I spend them or will I start the new game with those in my inventory?

Top Bottom