• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

This game has the best shadows I've ever seen in a game. This is coming from a guy who played on PC only for the last 2 years too where I've seen a LOT of excellent graphics but I've never seen shadows like this

I went into a building and the shadows on the walls were EXACTLY like real life shadows. Very soft and out of focus with no discernible shape. It was crazy looking. Then outside in the sun they're hard shadows like you'd expect.

The lighting is overall insane and I hate seeing the game so choked up on a PS3. ND are gonna blow us all away on PS4 I just know it

panty

So yesterday evening I started and played about 4 hours and today when I got up I almost immediately went back and the total time was about 14 hours.

This is without a doubt my GOTY'13. I almost cried at one point*, the game just comes and takes you away. The characters are perfect, I'm a huge fan of Ellie and Joel. Their dialogue is well written and holy fuck the voice acting is spot-on. Probably the best va and audio I've seen in a console game, imo.

* http://youtu.be/ZrrAC_Rn7k8?t=11m32s / about half way through the game / SPOILERS

I just finished the game but didn't get a trophy, what gives?

Anyone?

Phreak47

Most of my encounters go like this:

Sneak around trying to strangle individual runners. Grab objects to distract clickers. End goal is to separate runners from clickers so I can take care of them without much distraction. But due to unpredictable patrol patterns, I get caught trying to strangle a runner and I start sprinting like a mad man trying to lose line of sight but as I'm running, surprise! clicker grabs me and ends the game :(

Re-do. This time with more aggression and less stealthing around like a goddamn mouse. I wish this game had goddamn BEAR TRAPS.

Haha yeah... that very first encounter that had like 4 runners and a clicker standing there in the middle... it took me quite a few tries with the same results you described. Finally found a way to take out two of the runners quietly, then sneak up and shiv the clicker without the other two runners spotting me. I've found that for the clickers that are standing still, you can approach them from the side but not directly in front of them it seems, no matter how slow you are crawling.

Lingitiz

Multiplayer is pretty fantastic so far even with randoms. I don't fully understand the metagame stuff, but I like it much more than the standard progression in every other game.

Crafting is basically a substitute for power weapons, except what you get is randomized and there's no guarantees with what you'll be able to make.

BurningNad

Not for nothing but Ellie gets in my way A LOT. She's gotten me killed a couple times now. It's funny when she runs directly across a clickers path, though. Wish I had those skills.

Mupod

I noticed there was a locked difficulty above hard - does new game+ carry your upgrades into that?

Haha yeah... that very first encounter that had like 4 runners and a clicker standing there in the middle... it took me quite a few tries with the same results you described. Finally found a way to take out two of the runners quietly, then sneak up and shiv the clicker without the other two runners spotting me. I've found that for the clickers that are standing still, you can approach them from the side but not directly in front of them it seems, no matter how slow you are crawling.

Playing on hard, this was by far the most difficult section of the game for me and I think I'm close to halfway. They're a little less annoying once you realize that you need to crouch walk at less than full speed (do you need to do this on normal?) but random patrollers are numerous and can see you from a million miles away.

The trick for that section for me:
The clicker can't see you takedown enemies and will not respond as long as you don't make noise. Grabbing enemies as they walk around corners (you can do this from the side/front if they aren't alerted) worked wonders.

Phreak47

Not for nothing but Ellie gets in my way A LOT. She's gotten me killed a couple times now. It's funny when she runs directly across a clickers path, though. Wish I had those skills.

Yeah that breaks the immersion a little... or when she'll say "wow, scary" or something and they don't hear it... but you accept these things because you can't have the game's own AI ruining things for you.

Ellie is always like "oh shit/oh man/oh god" whenever she's sees a new dead body. Honey, we've seen hundreds of them, you think you'd get used to it by now.

Encounters are fun, but the AI aint nothing to write home about. Still same old video game stuff, two coming after you, grab one guy, "OK YOU GOT ME MAN!" all loud as hell, other guy keeps on moving like he can't hear shit.

Thrakier

The coloring of this game reminds me somewhat of Resistance 2. It's a weird mix between realistic and comic style with a yellowish hue.
571399-resistance-2-playstation-3-screenshot-running-backwards-from.jpg

They both share the same amount of polish, too.

Phreak47

I noticed there was a locked difficulty above hard - does new game+ carry your upgrades into that?

Playing on hard, this was by far the most difficult section of the game for me and I think I'm close to halfway. They're a little less annoying once you realize that you need to crouch walk at less than full speed (do you need to do this on normal?) but random patrollers are numerous and can see you from a million miles away.

The trick for that section for me:
The clicker can't see you takedown enemies and will not respond as long as you don't make noise. Grabbing enemies as they walk around corners (you can do this from the side/front if they aren't alerted) worked wonders.

I can say this... having just recently beat Hitman: Absolution, it was an excellent warm-up for this. You do some of the exact same things... right down to throwing bottles as distractions.

The runner's patrols are mostly predictable. I look for opportunities where one separates and I can set up a silent ambush.

This game has the best shadows I've ever seen in a game. This is coming from a guy who played on PC only for the last 2 years too where I've seen a LOT of excellent graphics but I've never seen shadows like this

I went into a building and the shadows on the walls were EXACTLY like real life shadows. Very soft and out of focus with no discernible shape. It was crazy looking. Then outside in the sun they're hard shadows like you'd expect.

The lighting is overall insane and I hate seeing the game so choked up on a PS3. ND are gonna blow us all away on PS4 I just know it

I noticed this as well. Pretty amazing. Incredible that they pulled this off with such old hardware

Apoc87

Banned
Someone teach me how to be stealthy in this game. I always end up shooting my way out and I feel like im playing it the wrong way.

Please.

Phreak47

I noticed this as well. Pretty amazing. Incredible that they pulled this off with such old hardware

Agreed... there's usually an effective counter-argument to a claim that a game has "maxed out the hardware", but in this case I think we're truly seeing it. It's beautiful and amazing and you know ND are arguably the best (MAYBE Guerilla is close, but I give the nod to ND) at exploiting the hardware... and yet, you can see the cracks in the seams... you can see the console struggling.

And you KNOW all the SPUs are working.

It's crazy. Even maxed out Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light didn't have such dynamic or impressive shadows. Plus the flashlight casts shadows on EVERYTHING which is insane. It is damn impressive considering what's running it all.

Phreak47

Someone teach me how to be stealthy in this game. I always end up shooting my way out and I feel like im playing it the wrong way.

Please.

Crouch, crouch, crouch

Use cover

And most of all... PATIENCE

Sometimes you might wait a good two minutes for an opportunity to get to the next cover. Just slow down.

Study patrols and find opportunities to grab enemies from behind when they are isolated from others.

Thrakier

It's crazy. Even maxed out Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light didn't have such dynamic or impressive shadows. Plus the flashlight casts shadows on EVERYTHING which is insane. It is damn impressive considering what's running it all.

Are you kidding me? The shadow res is pretty low res most of the time, it has it's moments, but most of the time it looks very pixelated and jagged.

squidyj

No, but they sometimes drop items or ammo. (it's random)

I don't think its entirely random, for example, every time I killed a clicker with a bow headshot I got ammo, every time.

Please.

Use the bow, shoot stuff in the head, get your arrows back.

otherwise just be patient and be ready to move location.

breakfuss

(No trophies)

Just read a little blurb on IGN about how that's entirely possible. Many of the trophies are only possible on new game +.

Hahaha, I think that's awesome. Bra-fucking-vo to ND for that. I've always felt trophies should be tangential to the actual GAME.

Also, where are these "tourists" going in the game, lol?

Are you kidding me? The shadow res is pretty low res most of the time, it has it's moments, but most of the time it looks very pixelated and jagged.

They can be low res at times but what's happening in the shadows is crazy. Watching them dynamically change depending on the light in an area is incredible. Most games have high res shadows but they're the same kind of shadows no matter what light casts them

Please.

Just be one with the shiv my friend

Apoc87

Banned
Crouch, crouch, crouch

Use cover

And most of all... PATIENCE

Sometimes you might wait a good two minutes for an opportunity to get to the next cover. Just slow down.

Study patrols and find opportunities to grab enemies from behind when they are isolated from others.

Thank you. I guess thats why ive always sucked at stealth games. Im not a very patient person. Im gonna try with this one though. Id say that this is one of the best stories in a game ive ever witnessed. ND has outdone themselves this time, fo real.

i hated uncharted

Finished it...

Great game that falls short of its ambitions, in the story and character department. It's still very good, but I was waiting to finish the game and feel like I had played a top 5 game of this gen and it was not so. The stealth works really well, and I've always been the stealthy kind of player, so I appreciated Naughty Dog allowing it to be used to great effect.

Can't wait for the next game from Naughty Dog anyway.

RS4-

Multiplayer is pretty fantastic so far even with randoms. I don't fully understand the metagame stuff, but I like it much more than the standard progression in every other game.

Crafting is basically a substitute for power weapons, except what you get is randomized and there's no guarantees with what you'll be able to make.

afaik, the loot gets better if there are less people alive on your team. So if you're the last one, you're more likely to get the melee and something to make bombs/molotovs.

I like the MP, but with randoms and no communication its just unbearable. There is only so much you can carry.

ttocs

Has anyone had any issues with Ellie's joke monologues not triggering? There is a time in a bookstore when you are supposed to wait 2 minutes and she will bring out the joke book and start telling jokes but it didn't trigger. I followed everything I was supposed to but nothing happened. Anyone else going for the joke trophy and running into this issue?

jediyoshi

Good lord the flashlight in this game. I think I nerded out for a few minutes after realizing the color of the light reflected off a surface was influenced by the color of the surface itself. So good.

They were very jaggy when I last looked.

Tc91

I'm currently at 41% through the game and have played 5 hours 33 minutes. Please tell me the middle part of the game WITHOUT SPOILING IT slows down.

I don't want to complete this game at 10 hours seeing as many people have said its a 13-16 hour game.

Madridy

I'm currently at 41% through the game and have played 5 hours 33 minutes. Please tell me the middle part of the game WITHOUT SPOILING IT slows down.

I don't want to complete this game at 10 hours seeing as many people have said its a 13-16 hour game.

I was 6 hours in @ ~44% done when I stopped my first session...

then finished the game @ around 18h:41m of playtime

Same. I'm in the E3 area. 44% in a bit over 5 hours. Can someone reply to this?

Cause if most people are saying 14 to 20, then halfway should be around 7-8 hours...

I know but to call them the most realistic is over the top.

I meant realistic in their behaviour not in their resolution

If you don't agree then that's cool, variety of opinion is what makes gaming good

Some amazing looking places that can look quite real in this game. ( Probably looks better in-game :p )

img_0001l4b5p.jpg

Yeah some sections look really nice. The lighting is also very natural too at times

any tips for a guy who is dying a lot and can't ever seem to find the solution to these combat puzzles? feels like i'm missing something fundamental... or maybe i'm playing it wrong.

i pretty much feel constantly confused while in the combat sequences.

any tips for a guy who is dying a lot and can't ever seem to find the solution to these combat puzzles? feels like i'm missing something fundamental... or maybe i'm playing it wrong.

i pretty much feel constantly confused while in the combat sequences.

Just melee all the time if you're in a fight or shootout. You can usually fire off a few shots rush in and pummel guys to death. Well.. human enemies anyway.

Against infected melee only works on runners, not clickers unless you have a bat or something

I barely ever use my gun

Tc91

I was 6 hours in @ ~44% done when I stopped my first session...

then finished the game @ around 18h:41m of playtime

The second half is longer than the first half of the game. Played 3 hours for 30 % and finished it with 17 1/2 hours.

Thanks for replying guys, sounds like it stretches out a bit then which is superb. I would of felt like I'd of rushed the game if I finished around 10 hours.

Incredible, incredible game.

DoomGyver

The end of Fall/beginning of Winter just wowed me more than any game this generation.

I can't put this game down, its digital crack.

SkylineRKR

Damn the multiplayer is fucking great. I didn't finish the story yet but I went MP for a quick impression and here I am 2 hours later.

Love the overall feel of it, and sticking together does help a bunch. Executions are brutal.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

It depends on how you play.
I'm at 48% and I played 8:30 hours.

Top Bottom