• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Just melee all the time if you're in a fight or shootout. You can usually fire off a few shots rush in and pummel guys to death. Well.. human enemies anyway.

Against infected melee only works on runners, not clickers unless you have a bat or something

I barely ever use my gun

i'm trying to stealth/stealthkill my way through the game. is that dumb? it's not working. i'm gonna assume it's dumb.

then when i get seen i mash the fuck out of square but there's like 3 people surrounding me and i eventually die. maybe i need to learn when to run away.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks for replying guys, sounds like it stretches out a bit then which is superb. I would of felt like I'd of rushed the game if I finished around 10 hours.

Incredible, incredible game.

I am at 37% with 9 hours atm. Taking my sweet time with it.

SkylineRKR

The stealth in this game is more organic, you can't rely on it 100%. But I use guns as a last resort. Its better to always keep a brick or Bat in your inventory and some shivs. So that you can stealth kill clickers (for them you can keep the light on), and melee them if needed as well.

When they see you, well, run away and line up shots to weaken or kill them.

dalin80

Banned
After a slow start I finally got into it earlier and hammered through about 4/5 hours and was loving it asides from some frustrations with my accompanying numpties not getting the hell out of the way so could climb the ladders etc they were utterly blocking. Really got into the crafting system as well that started to make a lot of sense as you unlock more items to create.

But then troubles..

There is a part where I have to climb through a window to advance, as soon as Joel lands the screen goes black, shows one of the 'you just died dumbass' hints and restarts a little earlier. Switched it off for now for a food break but did anyone else suffer anything similar? Hoping a restart will sort it out.

i'm trying to stealth/stealthkill my way through the game. is that dumb? it's not working. i'm gonna assume it's dumb.

then when i get seen i mash the fuck out of square but there's like 3 people surrounding me and i eventually die. maybe i need to learn when to run away.

Of course it's not dumb, the game is made so that stealth is an important option. I would say that if you aren't managing to be stealthy, it's your own fault.

What's the best audio setting to use with these?
20110528_sony_wireless_headset.jpg

I'm no audiofile and I'm a bit lost as to what to choose.

Also, damn a lot of people have no clue how to use spoiler tags.

This is not how to do it. :p

dalin80

Banned
Of course it's not dumb, the game is made so that stealth is an important option. I would say that if you aren't managing to be stealthy, it's your own fault.

I have stealth killed probably about 3 in 4 of the enemies so far but when chaos does reign it's easy to forget that you can hit L2 sprint away and get in a better position to pick off an enemy with a swift fist of justice. Standing still and hitting square will get you mullered, running around and hitting square makes you feel like a 80's action hero.

So I guess I'm in the second half of the game now since the combat is much better and not an absolute chore like it was in the early goings--many more options.

delta25

Banned
They both share the same amount of polish, too.

This is a joke right?

TLoU no doubt has some technical flaws but considering the hardware its running on and various other limitations, its amazing that ND was able to pull this off. Also take into consideration everything else the game does right technically.

well, i changed the thermal paste of the ps3 (arctic cooling mx-4). That thing was like fossilized jizz. Let's continue with this puppy!

I have stealth killed probably about 3 in 4 of the enemies so far but when chaos does reign it's easy to forget that you can hit L2 sprint away and get in a better position to pick off an enemy with a swift fist of justice. Standing still and hitting square will get you mullered, running around and hitting square makes you feel like a 80's action hero.

I mixed stuff. Sometimes the stealth was just a set up to lit 4 guys on fire. Hehehehe

The violence in this game is incredible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

For that matter, does anyone know what dynamic range setting is ideal for a 7.1 surround system with a nice big sub and front speakers, but smaller side and back speakers?

DatDude

Banned
Finished it...

Great game that falls short of its ambitions, in the story and character department. It's still very good, but I was waiting to finish the game and feel like I had played a top 5 game of this gen and it was not so. The stealth works really well, and I've always been the stealthy kind of player, so I appreciated Naughty Dog allowing it to be used to great effect.

Can't wait for the next game from Naughty Dog anyway.

What do you feel this game did wrong that didn't elevate this game to a top 5 game of the generation for you>?

JBuccCP

A little help, late game spoilers
Where do I go at the part where you're playing as Ellie and just escaped David with only your knife? There's like a little room I can go into but I can't find anything in there, and outside there's only dead ends. It's probably something really obvious I'm just not seeing.

edit: nevermind I got it. yeah it was a thing I didn't notice.

20110528_sony_wireless_headset.jpg

Set your audio settings up in the PS3 section first on the XMB. Then in game choose 7.1/surround. Set the centre to large, it delivers the vocal audio in most scenarios . Set dynamic range to whatever you want it to do. Narrow means a tight sound around your head, wide means the sound extends outside your head, maximum is the widest and midnight means all the audio is more in front of you

For that matter, does anyone know what dynamic range setting is ideal for a 7.1 surround system with a nice big sub and front speakers, but smaller side and back speakers?

As above, dynamic range means the width of the sound more or less. It's dependent on your setup though. If you have surround then you should go for wide or maximum, if you have stereo headphones then go normal. Wide means the sound is far around you, maximum is just wider, these are ideal for surround sound speakers cos they're far apart in a room. Normal is all the sound is near to you like headphones. I don't know why you'd use midnight though

Currently at the 50% mark in story mode. Loving every moment.

I took a few breaks here and there to try out multiplayer and I love it! It looks a few matches for it to really grow on me.

Earlier today, I was with a team and we were down 0-3..but we made a crazy comeback to win 4-3! Playing with others who have mics is definitely needed and makes the game much more fun.

I fell in love with the silenced shotgun <3

Being sneaky and killing people feels soooo good, lol. Crafting a bomb and downing 2 people with it also feels good!

ironcreed

Banned
Just played through the intro... holy shit. This game is going to be one of the few that really gets to me, I can see that right now. Also, it is amazing to see what the old PS3 can still do. Some of the best production value in the business. This is going to be something special.

leng jai

Theoretically speaking maximum dynamic range is the best setting. It expands the disparity between the softest and loudest sounds.

I have no idea why this game somehow got associated with that Sony headset though. Seems like half the thread is using it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I was just blown away as this is the first (only?) game I've noticed this on. I was walking near the waters edge and looked across the coast, and the clouds were moving!!!!! Like a proper cycle. Blown. Away.

I know this might be in other games but this is the first time I've actually been in a place/setting looking out across the game world and it's caught my eye organically.

For those asking the game does slow down in pace as you get along. I was 6hrs in with 48% done, now I'm 10hrs in with 60% done. And I've gotten a shedload of collectibles - about 60 up until this point).

Animal

Banned
So if I throw a brick to get a clicker's attention, do they switch to a mode where they are constantly looking for me or do they calm back down?

I was just blown away as this is the first (only?) game I've noticed this on. I was walking near the waters edge and looked across the coast, and the clouds were moving!!!!! Like a proper cycle. Blown. Away.

I know this might be in other games but this is the first time I've actually been in a place/setting looking out across the game world and it's caught my eye organically.

For those asking the game does slow down in pace as you get along. I was 6hrs in with 48% done, now I'm 10hrs in with 60% done. And I've gotten a shedload of collectibles - about 60 up until this point).
So wow....48% in six hours then only 12% in four hours

Okay, that's good. Was worried that I was rushing.

Yuterald

When I was reading your post all I could think of was Bioshock Infinite.

I don't think this game suffers from that as bad as you say though, maybe early on when they are establishing the game world.

Oh man, and I almost picked up Infinite for cheap today too. Glad I opted out of that one! I usually stay FAR away from so called "AAA" games. It's not simply because they're popular or anything like that either, it's just they're hardy ever interesting to me. I've been a fan of Naughty Dog since their PSone days. I much prefer their Crash & Jak era to their PS3 output, but I know I'm in the minority there. I enjoyed Uncharted 1 for what it was worth, played and liked the second game, and never touched the third. I sort of lost interest in their games as of late, but this one struck me as something potentially more special than their Uncharted titles.

So far, I'm not impressed. True, the game has become less "zoo-like" the further I get, but there's still a lot of REALLY slow moments. Call it build up, proper pacing, or whatever the fuck you want, it's just kind of boring, lol! I was reminded of "AAA" gaming pitfalls too when I arrived at my first COOP-door. Pulling chains to lift garage doors, pushing shit in front of/away from doors, that's all I've been doing for the past 2 hours.

=/

Hope this gets a bit better. Somewhat regretting my purchase already.

What do you feel this game did wrong that didn't elevate this game to a top 5 game of the generation for you>?

I felt that such a rich world needed much stronger "outside" characters, and that the hard cold reality of the world demanded a much more dramatic development of Ellie through the characters we meet and certain morally grey moments.

That would've allowed us to witness much more character development from Ellie, and the relationship from Joel and Ellie would've gained a different dimension, where the pay offs would've felt much more important.

My problems are mostly story and character related. The gameplay is near perfect for me, although I guess I could say there were missed opportunities to have a couple of more moments like the
pick up crash in the store
, where the sense of desperation and violent response to it really came alive.

That was basically it, but because of the lacking factors I mentioned it didn't reach an high high enough to be in my top 5.

Animal

Banned
They go about their business after a short time.

So I am in an area that has clickers magically appear behind me and already aware of my presence. I don't understand why. I send them on the otherside of the map with bricks and they magically show up behind me and kill me everytime.

Oh man, and I almost picked up Infinite for cheap today too. Glad I opted out of that one! I usually stay FAR away from so called "AAA" games. It's not simply because they're popular or anything like that either, it's just they're hardy ever interesting to me. I've been a fan of Naughty Dog since their PSone days. I much prefer their Crash & Jak era to their PS3 output, but I know I'm in the minority there. I enjoyed Uncharted 1 for what it was worth, played and liked the second game, and never touched the third. I sort of lost interest in their games as of late, but this one struck me as something potentially more special than their Uncharted titles.

So far, I'm not impressed. True, the game has become less "zoo-like" the further I get, but there's still a lot of REALLY slow moments. Call it build up, proper pacing, or whatever the fuck you want, it's just kind of boring, lol! I was reminded of "AAA" gaming pitfalls too when I arrived at my first COOP-door. Pulling chains to life garage doors, pushing shit in front of/away from doors, that's all I've been doing for the past 2 hours.

=/

Hope this gets a bit better. Somewhat regretting my purchase already.

I think you will probably end up like me, mixed feelings towards the game. I wouldn't recommend playing Uncharted 3 either.

This game has everything people make fun of in AAA modern games to the nth degree, probably more so than the Uncharted games honestly.

antitrop

My buddy just told me that U2 blows TLoU away in the visual department. Please tell me this isn't true.

I've played Uncharted 2 quite a bit in the last week. Your friend is an idiot.

Last of Us has more annoying technical issues than Uncharted 2, jaggies, shimmering, etc, but the overall art quality is almost incomparably in favor of The Last of Us.

DirtyLary

Set your audio settings up in the PS3 section first on the XMB. Then in game choose 7.1/surround. Set the centre to large, it delivers the vocal audio in most scenarios . Set dynamic range to whatever you want it to do. Narrow means a tight sound around your head, wide means the sound extends outside your head, maximum is the widest and midnight means all the audio is more in front of you

Thank for this. Are there any settings we need to set in the PS3 XMB sound settings or does the dongle override everything when it's plugged in?

Got this through my gamefly today, seems really good. Played about 2-3 hours I guess.

Remind me
not to fuck with Tess
. There are some hard-ass ladies in this game.

So encounters can be a little frustrating. I find myself dying once or twice at least at each
since I got to the infected.
On normal. All the action feels really good and organic though, especially how naturally it switches between stealth/melee/gunplay. They really make it all feel like one system.

How hard was that to do?

not much. It's only about counting the screws you take out and not trying to force anything.

This guy made it pretty easy for me despite not having close-ups. He does the process pretty good.

my advice if you plan on doing it... get a good paste. The fan is kinda running on medium (fat ps3). No jet engine so far and i left it on for a while on the main menu to be sure. the paste was completely dried up, i cleaned both surfaces with alcohol and cotton (those circle makeup ones) and applied mx-4 (he says in the video that only a drop is needed. But I saw that it didnt cover the full square pads that connect to the headsinks, so I went with a traditional squareish pattern to make sure everything was covered.

All in all, if you have done any PC build, there's nothing more complicated (aside from the interior being placed different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmV9zNVXxY

My advice for everyone: ND games seem to be more heat-generating than other games. That's probably because they utilize the RSX beyond what's expected. If your system is on full fan speed while playing (and not just on rare occasions, I mean that it never slows down) your system may end up getting damaged. I recommend a change on the thermal compound (a good one if possible) to ensure that your fat lives through the generation. Day 1 Ps3 here <3

And done.

This is really a generation defining game. Holy shitballs. Naughty Dog puts other developers to shame.

And the cutscene graphic is unbelievable for a PS3 game. In-Engine for PS4 ready!

Inversive

Can anyone upload their completed save for me? I completed it on hard but got fucked over by the autosave shit and I want to do a survivor run. Please PM!

Khronico

Guys.... I'm so conflicted on this game right now.

Just finished it. First off, what was with that ending? (Edit: Actually, after some consideration and checking the spoiler thread, it makes sense now)
Secondly, I had to drop all the way down to normal halfway through just to survive through this game. Hard was unbearable for me; I got so mad at the games difficulty that I had to take a breather. Even some parts on easy (Namely the last area) were ridiculous. Most of the time I just ran through areas or used melee, since guns sure aren't that effective unless you constantly land headshots.

Also, this AI is pathetic. Not once did Ellie ever help me, nor any other companion in the game. Not only that, they caused my death several times by just standing in front of an enemy while I tried to melee them. Enemies also have a weird tendency to sense you pointing a gun at them from behind, or just deciding they notice you right when you're about to strangle them.

I also encountered numerous and annoying bugs throughout the game. Enemies popping in right behind me, enemies teleporting behind me to strangle me, cutscenes glitching out, an entire area just disappearing (this happened 1 time, to clarify), getting stuck in geometry, bodies floating across floors, melee weapons phasing through enemies and doing no damage, etc. Some where minor inconvienences, but most of them made me have to restart to last checkpoint. AND WHAT IS WITH THE POORLY PLACED CHECKPOINTS. SERIOUSLY.

Top Bottom