• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Yuterald

I think you will probably end up like me, mixed feelings towards the game. I wouldn't recommend playing Uncharted 3 either.

This game has everything people make fun of in AAA modern games to the nth degree, probably more so than the Uncharted games honestly.

Yeah, most likely. I also don't even care for the gameplay systems too much. The stealth/combat is as simple as you get. Also, I was choke holding a dude with another soldier right in front of me and the guy was yelling, "Take it easy man, you don't have to do this!" and it didn't even alert the other guy! For a game based around sound, it doesn't seem to be used properly/interesting either. I will say that the actual sound design is great. Love the muffled rain when you're under something/in-doors and the distant voices/sounds depending on your proximity. But from a gameplay perspective it feels somewhat amateurish so far.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally getting into some of the gameplay mechanics. Things like how your aim is not steady at first, and that it takes a few seconds to use a med kit make it much more tense. Little things like that are significant for me. Beyond that, everything just feels so intuitive and smooth so far. Oh, and WOW at the voice acting. It does not get any better in gaming. Absolutely stellar on the whole so far.

Gorillaz

Damn the multiplayer is fucking great. I didn't finish the story yet but I went MP for a quick impression and here I am 2 hours later.

Love the overall feel of it, and sticking together does help a bunch. Executions are brutal.

The MP is one of those things that works well when everyone plays tactical and as a team....with mics

Who wants to see Ellie's Jak and Daxter clothes?

itqpPrGGYwxsy.JPG
iXb7M51OUPHN8.JPG
Jak Hoodie and Jak and Daxter T-shirt w/Jak Goggles

So awesome

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I've just gotten out of
the subway tunnels
acouple hours in. My biggest issues with the game have been bugs and loading times. The initial loading with the little particle effect has taken FOREVER. Also going into the save/load menu has resulted in alot of waiting for the autosave to complete. The otherwise fantastic cold open was spoiled at one point when your brother runs out into a garden sort of area, and the floor was completely missing, leaving me baffled for a moment, and then getting killed. Also plenty of little animation bugs, texture loading, etc.

But I mean the actual experience of it is absolutely fantastic so far. When
you come up to the toppled buildings where you first encounter the first real clickers
, just looking at the vistas, it's absolutely beautiful. The opening with Sarah was great. I enjoy the stealth mechanics, combined with the crafting etc. I'm not a fan of the control scheme, but so far, I've adapted relatively well.

But yeah. So far, technical issues aside, it's really compelling.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I love the multiplayer. So far everyone I've played with have been tactical, it's awesome.

Damn, I love the multiplayer. So far everyone I've played with have been tactical, it's awesome.

surprised that the wallhack isn't really ruining the experience. I understand why they did it. It's impossible for many to have a sound system capable of telling you that. However, i'd like to see the effect of the allies steps, instead of the full character silhouette.

Lingitiz

Man I really want to try out multiplayer but it sounds like having a mic is crucial...
I've been playing without one and I've been doing pretty well. Obviously it will enhance your experience, but more the most important thing is spotting enemies with R3 and sticking together.

protonion

Big spoilers for right before fall.

The boy gets infected and his brother kills himself. Am I right to assume that this depends on which runner I shot with the sniper gun? What's the alternative scenario?

DatDude

Banned
I felt that such a rich world needed much stronger "outside" characters, and that the hard cold reality of the world demanded a much more dramatic development of Ellie through the characters we meet and certain morally grey moments.

That would've allowed us to witness much more character development from Ellie, and the relationship from Joel and Ellie would've gained a different dimension, where the pay offs would've felt much more important.

My problems are mostly story and character related. The gameplay is near perfect for me, although I guess I could say there were missed opportunities to have a couple of more moments like the
pick up crash in the store
, where the sense of desperation and violent response to it really came alive.

That was basically it, but because of the lacking factors I mentioned it didn't reach an high high enough to be in my top 5.

I'm only half way through, but did Sam, Henry, Tess and Bill not do that for you?

I think there all part of the montra of
"Caring for someone one only leads to one things in this world: Getting you killed." These characters all had people they cared about and thus they all ended up dying one way or the other

AHA-Lambda

I don't understand how some people are taking so long, I'm at 50% at 6 hours.

My reservations I posted earlier still stand, this second half had better blow my socks off.

Thank for this. Are there any settings we need to set in the PS3 XMB sound settings or does the dongle override everything when it's plugged in?

Does it show up under the audio section? Like the headset itself? or does it still only say like HDMI?

If the headset is under the audio settings in the PS3 menu then click to use that and then set it to automatic. it should pick all the available options for your headset them. Choosing custom and selecting everything can lead to overdriving the speakers and they crackle

I've been playing without one and I've been doing pretty well. Obviously it will enhance your experience, but more the most important thing is spotting enemies with R3 and sticking together.

exactly. There's people who won't rez even if you're just 1 meter away. A microphone isn't going to help with that kind of player. R3 is already a teller for those who know how to play.

I don't understand how some people are taking so long, I'm at 50% at 6 hours.

My reservations I posted earlier still stand, this second half had better blow my socks off.
From what I've read here, the game slows down

Like someone was at 48% after six hours then only 60% in ten hours.

I'm at 43% after 5:23 hrs so that's good news for me

antitrop

I just got my 5.1 system working. I had to fiddle with a few settings and place the speakers correctly from a long period of disuse.

About to start the game up with them this time, I was playing with TV speakers last night. (I know)

Chris R

I'm not done with the game yet, but I'd like to see a DLC pack that would basically be (spoilers for about 6ish hours into the game)
Bill and Frank co-op adventures in and around Lincoln ~6 months before the events of the game when you get to Bill. Part Horde Mode with scavenging and setting of traps, part exploration of the city.
I feel like it could really work.

edit: Another gripe I've had with the game is that for some reason a bow kill wasn't silent, and seeing as I didn't want to reset and try again (would have lost 5+ mins and 10+ stealth kills) I had to fight off a few enemies instead of being able to stealth around. Did I do it wrong or are bow kills never silent? It was a head shot.

So 12 hours in and only at 62%. This has to include collectables right?

Story is soooooo good. Fuckkk.
Henry and sam. :(
Frame rate starting to dip here and there. Shame but still not a deal breaker. The stealth is so good. I still wish the cover was better for the shooting parts. What a beautiful looking game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
From what I've read here, the game slows down

Like someone was at 48% after six hours then only 60% in ten hours.

I'm at 43% after 5:23 hrs so that's good news for me

42% after 10 hours now *shrug*

Lingitiz

The gib effect with the shotgun might be one of the most satisfying in any game. It's similar to RE4's but if the enemies had a great sense of weight.

ironcreed

Banned
Lots of people saying the mutiplayer is awesome.

I jump on after I beat the game.

Same here. All I know right now is that the single player is killer and gets even better every few minutes. I especially appreciate the downtime and exploring when you are going somewhere. But then the combat packs a hell of a punch, with some decent stealth as well. Blows Uncharted away and I really hope they just stick to stuff like this from here on out.

So 12 hours in and only at 62%. This has to include collectables right?

Story is soooooo good. Fuckkk.
Henry and sam. :(
Frame rate starting to dip here and there. Shame but still not a deal breaker. The stealth is so good. I still wish the cover was better for the shooting parts. What a beautiful looking game.

Nope it doesn't include collectables ^^

Stealth in this game is not like Splinter Cell's system where as being caught is an almost immediate fail.

I guess some people fail to realize that it is all about killing one or two, run away and rethink your tactics. This makes the AI go look for you, eventually splitting them up.

There is so much variety in the combat that it is never the same game.

smr00

Banned
So i just
got done escaping through the gym in the school and holy shit it's been one intense fucking ride since i met that guy, especially the school

About how many hours do you think i have left?

All these posts on the Pulse headset are making me want it -- will it work on the PS4?
I bought the Pulse headset when it came out and returned it same day. I am sure people love it but the rumble felt weak, the sound quality was no better than my tritton 720s and they were really, really tight on my head making it extremely uncomfortable because i wear glasses. Granted, i have a big fucking head. Far better headsets you can get for $150.

Phreak47

Anyone with a pulse elite mind sharing what the best settings are for it?

Install the PS3 app (if you haven't already) and install/use the ACTION preset. Then set the bassimpact to your liking. It isn't immediately overbearing like the SHOOTER setting is. If you're the type that likes the "smiley face" EQ settings (lower lows, higher highs, flat mids) then you will like this.

I'm sticking with my surround system as much as I can though. You can't beat LPCM 7.1, period. The soundscape is phenomenal like this.

DatDude

Banned
no need to feel any tension, the last checkpoint was probably only 30 seconds away

no offense but you being butt hurt is annoying as fuck

I personally like that the checkpoints are forgiving. There's nothing as stupid than restarting the whole event just because of 1 screw up. It's stupid and bad game design.

DirtyLary

Lots of people saying the mutiplayer is awesome.

I jump on after I beat the game.

It's great if you have friends and mic. Playing on a random team vs a team of friends using mics will make you want to throw that controller against the wall.

With that said, I need friends in this game. psn id is my name

I just fought the first
bloater, and I didn't like it. I hate when games like this force mini bosses. Uncharted did it with brutes and Metro Last light did it too.
I get why they added them but I personally don't like it, felt too videogamey for lack of a better word

DatDude

Banned
I just fought the first
bloater, and I didn't like it. I hate when games like this force mini bosses. Uncharted did it with brutes and Metro Last light did it too.
I get why they added them but I personally don't like it, felt too videogamey for lack of a better word

Honestly that's WHY I loved it.

The last of us is almost a homage of the golden age of gaming (the ps2 era, and ps1 era).

No regen health, but instead good old health packs. There's a semi inventory system, you can craft things, there are collectibles, you can upgrade your skills, upgrade your weapons, and so on and so forth.

It's video gamey, i guess, but that's why I love it. It doesn't feel like a game that was made from this generation, but rather a survival horror esque game made from the ps2 era.

Top Bottom