• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The audio mixing at times is horrible. The AI characters are way too loud and the VA work where characters say their lines at normal volume is a bigger problem than enemy AI ignoring them. There are clickers nearby and people are talking like they don't have a care in the world.

I think it's a design decision. Many times the AIs sounds would attract the infected if it could and then everyone would be complaining about it ruining their stealth run.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm having problems getting into this game. My standards may just be too high from being a PC gamer, but the awful and inconsistent frame rate is really hindering my experience. Also being told how beautiful the game is when in actuality the low res textures and immediately noticeable disparity between cut scenes and gameplay IQ is off putting.

The aiming is extraordinarily awful but that's not so much a complaint against the game as it is console gaming, but its still a hindrance to the experience.

The story so far has been very predictable and I'm waiting to be surprised. I'll keep playing but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

Sethos

Banned
I think it's a design decision. Many times the AIs sounds would attract the infected if it could and then everyone would be complaining about it ruining their stealth run.

No, a design decision would be to have them shut the hell up when sneaking / near clickers. Them screaming and running just breaks the tension completely.

Astral

Something I really hate about this game is that you absolutely must be behind someone to perform a stealth kill. There are so many instances where yanking a guy from a corner and breaking their neck would've been extremely useful.

I'm having problems getting into this game. My standards may just be too high from being a PC gamer, but the awful and inconsistent frame rate is really hindering my experience. Also being told how beautiful the game is when in actuality the low res textures and immediately noticeable disparity between cut scenes and gameplay IQ is off putting.

The aiming is extraordinarily awful but that's not so much a complaint against the game as it is console gaming, but its still a hindrance to the experience.

The story so far has been very predictable and I'm waiting to be surprised. I'll keep playing but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

Try taking the game for what it is, instead of what it isn't. IMO this game looks like it's running on a PC with medium/high settings. The textures can be bad at times, along with the aliasing, but the shadows are nothing short of a high end PC game. This is a PS3 for fucks sake, 256MB VRAM, etc.

Bladenic

Something I really hate about this game is that you absolutely must be behind someone to perform a stealth kill. There are so many instances where yanking a guy from a corner and breaking their neck would've been extremely useful.

Huh? I've killed tons of human enemies by grabbing them as they are walking by where I'm crouching.

Superflat

Baw, really? Considering it was a big part of the stealth melee in Uncharted, I was hoping that would stay :(

In other news, my copy is here! Gonna fire up this bad boy.

15 minutes in, and I already got a bit misty eyed. Had to stop playing since I'm working long hours this weekend, but wow; I'm really loving it so far.

Glassboy

Really? I grab dudes from the front all the time. Clickers are a different story though ;)

elohel

question how do you expect say...a batman movie to end?

dalin80

Banned
No, a design decision would be to have them shut the hell up when sneaking / near clickers. Them screaming and running just breaks the tension completely.

You slowly sneaking past a clicker to have one of your AI 'teammates' run past like they are on fire knocking you into said clicker is a little off putting, not that the clickers care about the AI but if you break out a cat fart within a 20m radius they come screaming down with the insta kill.

Mupod

you can do this though. One of the best ways to stealth kill infected.

it doesn't work on humans who are actively searching for you, is all.

Sethos

Banned
You slowly sneaking past a clicker to have one of your AI 'teammates' run past like they are on fire knocking you into said clicker is a little off putting, not that the clickers care about the AI but if you break out a cat fart within a 20m radius they come screaming down with the insta kill.

Yeah. I'm sitting there, sneaking around trying not to get caught. One of them looks at me, I freeze and my heart rate goes up. The atmosphere is tense with all the clicking and the dark tunnel really makes it scary ... Then someone screams "OH I REALLY HATE THESE THINGS", decides to march around at 150 decibels and is a nanosecond away from playing the song of their people.

From a story perspective, they obviously have to be there.

From a gameplay perspective, they are useless and atmosphere breaking.

Astral

you can do this though. One of the best ways to stealth kill infected.

it doesn't work on humans who are actively searching for you, is all.

Oh ok. This makes more sense now. The only time I've been able to do it on a human was when I was in a dark corner. I didn't know it always worked on the infected though.

Nekofrog

Banned
question how do you expect say...a batman movie to end?

The Dark Knight offered surprises at every turn. With this its a very by the numbers post apocalyptic zombie experience. For nines and tens that's really unacceptable for me. I'm totally spoiler free with this but if I had to guess, the
main character dies at the end.

Try taking the game for what it is, instead of what it isn't. IMO this game looks like it's running on a PC with medium/high settings. The textures can be bad at times, along with the aliasing, but the shadows are nothing short of a high end PC game. This is a PS3 for fucks sake, 256MB VRAM, etc.

It's not as simple as "lower your standards". People who game on the PC do so for a reason, and their reasons do not simply vanish because a game they want to play happens to be exclusive to an inferior platform. The individual has to weigh exclusivity of the experience against inferior everything else. Some people cannot overlook those kinds of flaws regardless of how singular the experience is. It's the same reason why people have trouble going back and playing Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's Gate or a hundred other classic games. The singularity of those experiences does not overcome the colossal regression in features, visuals, and modern design.

It's not as simple as "lower your standards". People who game on the PC do so for a reason, and their reasons do not simply vanish because a game they want to play happens to be exclusive to an inferior platform. The individual has to weigh exclusivity of the experience against inferior everything else. Some people cannot overlook those kinds of flaws regardless of how singular the experience is. It's the same reason why people have trouble going back and playing Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's Gate or a hundred other classic games. The singularity of those experiences does not overcome the colossal regression in features, visuals, and modern design.

Touché.

Mupod

Is their a point to upgrading to pistol and long gun holsters?

lets you switch weapons by pressing left and right on the D-pad instead of rummaging through your inventory. Best use of your scrap once you get a second pistol and a shotgun, if you ask me.

just about to start this. Adjusting the settings before beginning: Should I turn off Game Hints / Strategic Tips?
I hated in the uncharted games when an NPC would tell you: Maybe you should try this...
Also thinking of playing it on hard but I usually choose go with normal :S

velociraptor

I've almost exclusively played games on the PC at 1080p 60fps. However, I still come back to 720p sub 30 fps console games time from time (including Infamous 2, which even dips in the 15s when things get really hectic). Why? Because they are much more fun to play. Of course The Last Of Us may not be a technical masterpiece (compared to PC games), but I think it still looks fantastic, and for the most part, runs really well.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Yeah, you can select the pistols/rifles by pressing left/right twice instead of holding X to open your backpack. Speeds things up in the heat of the moment.

Fifty

IMO it's the most essential upgrade. It allows you to forgo the switching guns animation and switch to a second long gun or pistol instantly. You don't have to fiddle around in the inventory during a fight. It's saved me more often than all of the other upgrades by far.

just about to start this. Adjusting the settings before beginning: Should I turn off Game Hints / Strategic Tips?
I hated in the uncharted games when an NPC would tell you: Maybe you should try this...
I wouldn't, for me it's sometimes hard to tell where to go next, and the hint takes a really long time to pop up anyway.

bryanee

I've never played a game like this that's had me on the edge of my fucking seat the entire time, even during the slower moments when nothing is happening. And damn those fucking clickers.

One encounter man I felt so helpless, a load of runners out of nowhere, if it wasn't for the AI partner I would of been fucked. Managed to fight em off on the first try. They really caught me off guard.

This game oozes class.

void666

Banned
Two things about combat that are pissing me off:

1 - Ellie... STAY OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY! She is always pushing me around when i'm trying to take cover.

2 - Molotovs will only burn enemies in the blast radius. The tool tip says enemies on fire may set others on fire. But the fire on the ground won't.

So far the AI is hit or miss. They try to flank me, run away and take cover. But sometimes they do stupid things like running right through me without trying to attack.

Kambing

Well well well, what a wonderful game!

I don't quite know what chapter i am in, except for the fact that i've clocked 7.5 hours and have a 41% completion rate. As a person that loves gameplay, i feel like this game really excels very well at having great and or deep mechanics.

The graphics, sound and writing is arguably one of the best, if not the best for this console generation. The only thing lacking is image quality, which i find GoW: Ascension to do better. But what is blowing my fucking mind is the combat! The limited amount of bullets, the many different scenarios a user can take and the AI, humans specifically, feel next gen man. Naughty Dog has pegged each instance of combat "encounters" and it really represents well the grandiose of each fight. Does it still feel gamey? Yes it does. But... no other game has created suspense like the one found in The Last of Us when shooting and or pulling a trigger. I would LOVE games moving forward to have this eerie feeling of "fuck fuck fuck, i might die, i have to think this through" even before combat starts as opposed to "I'm superman motherfucker!".

Now one of the things i am indifferent about is the "infected" we fight. Granted, i am playing on hard without listen mode, but i sometimes have a difficult time executing a play style when fighting the infected. Sometimes i am spotted when i feel like i should not have been and although suspenseful, my brain perhaps is unable to create an adequate approach to taking the infected out.

I love this game, and if it keeps on delivering, it will be my GOTG. Hopefully you guys check it out!

Mupod

I have them on, haven't seen anything like that. I think the closest it came was reminding me that clickers can hear you if you crouch walk too fast? Which was a fucking lifesaver.

Fifty

I want The Last of Us to release DLC packs where Joel and Ellie just walk around the world and talk about stuff. The gameplay is fantastic, but I look forward to the downtime more than in any game I can recall.

Doran902

I want The Last of Us to release DLC packs where Joel and Ellie just walk around the world and talk about stuff. The gameplay is fantastic, but I look forward to the downtime more than in any game I can recall.

i think that says alot about the tension and atmosphere, the moments are so tense and stressful you actually become relieved when there is downtime and you dread running into more enemies

at least thats how it is for me, also this could be the best acting i have seen in a video game ever

Fifty

i think that says alot about the tension and atmosphere, the moments are so tense and stressful you actually become relieved when there is downtime and you dread running into more enemies

at least thats how it is for me, also this could be the best acting i have seen in a video game ever

I agree on both points. It's like they combined the relief of tension that classic RE games (1,4) had with acting that you'd never expect a video game to be able to pull off.

2 - Molotovs will only burn enemies in the blast radius. The tool tip says enemies on fire may set others on fire. But the fire on the ground won't.

Really? I threw one at a clicker and burned them directly, two runners and a clicker came running over to the sound and went up in flames too from the fire on the ground

antitrop

21% and I am now completely ensconced in this game. After an embarrassingly long amount of time navigating around the first few sets of clickers, everything is starting to fall into place and I'm having a wonderfully dark time.

I want to try out some multiplayer but the real game is too good.

Animal

Banned
6h59m -> 34%

There is just so much detail in the environments and areas to check out and enjoy. There are some pretty cool and elaborate hidden areas with good loot too.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
21% and I am now completely ensconced in this game. After an embarrassingly long amount of time navigating around the first few sets of clickers, everything is starting to fall into place and I'm having a wonderfully dark time.

65% complete on my first day. I simply couldn't put this down. Never experienced a game that has actual characters that I care about to this extent.

R3TRODYCE

Ok I feel like I'm doing something wrong guy. I'm on Ch6 and I haven't unlocked a single trophy! What kind of wizardry is this!

smr00

Banned
65% complete on my first day. I simply couldn't put this down. Never experienced a game that has actual characters that I care about to this extent.
I had to make myself put it down today so i could continue playing it at night with the lights off and headset on.

Such a hard game to put down.

Ok I feel like I'm doing something wrong guy. I'm on Ch6 and I haven't unlocked a single trophy! What kind of wizardry is this!
It's because they didn't litter it with kill X 20 times, get X kills with X trophies.

Top Bottom