• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

sunnz

Really? I threw one at a clicker and burned them directly, two runners and a clicker came running over to the sound and went up in flames too from the fire on the ground

I experienced the same thing.

They did catch fire from the fire on the ground.

Even when the normal infected ran through the flames to get me went on fire ( though the fire was slow to burn them, but it did burn them)

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, finished the game. Was pretty brilliant through and through.

Winter was easily the high point of the entire game, though. Anyone else feel that way, or just me?

CHC

Having a lot of fun with this game, it really feels like a film or well written TV-show most of the time. Despite it's linearity and (coming off of many months in a row of PC gaming) lacking image quality, it's really a top quality piece of production as I would expect from Naughty Dog.

That said I do agree about audio mixing, I tried playing with headphones when my GF went to sleep. All was good at first but when I shot my pistol it was like.......

tumblr_mg0nhcTGhz1r93xiko1_500.gif

Having a lot of fun with this game, it really feels like a film or well written TV-show most of the time. Despite it's linearity and (coming off of many months in a row of PC gaming) lacking image quality, it's really a top quality piece of production as I would expect from Naughty Dog.

That said I do agree about audio mixing, I tried playing with headphones when my GF went to sleep. All was good at first but when I shot my pistol it was like.......

tumblr_mg0nhcTGhz1r93xiko1_500.gif
You can change the speaker config and dynamic range in the audio settings. ND always does that with their games and I'm happy they do.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I had to make myself put it down today so i could continue playing it at night with the lights off and headset on.

Such a hard game to put down.

You are a brave man. I genuinely dread having to face the runners and clickers. There was a moment where the amount of fear created in the atmosphere was almost too much for me.

CHC

You can change the speaker config and dynamic range in the audio settings.

Tried, it either sounded really muddy or the dynamic range was out of control. I wound up turning it wayyyy down and putting it on headphone setting, but the gunshots still are startling. Helps immersion if you wanna look at the bright side but would of liked a little more consistent sound levels, the voice acting is amazing and it can be annoying struggling to hear it.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, that's it. I am buying the season pass for this game. Hell, I have never even bought a season pass before because it just never seemed like it would be worth it. But just a few hours in and I can already tell that this is going to be one of my games of the generation. The promise of more single player content is something I am not passing up, as this one is definitely not all hype, like I felt Bioshock Infinite was after a few hours.

Loudninja

Well, that's it. I am buying the season pass for this game. Hell, I have never even bought a season pass before because it just never seemed like it would be worth it. But just a few hours in here and I can already tell that this is going to be one of my games of the generation and the promise of more single player content is something I am not passing up. This one is definitely not all hype, like I felt Bioshock Infinite was after a few hours.
First ND game ever with SP DLC.

-Plasma Reus-

Well, that's it. I am buying the season pass for this game. Hell, I have never even bought a season pass before because it just never seemed like it would be worth it. But just a few hours in here and I can already tell that this is going to be one of my games of the generation and the promise of more single player content is something I am not passing up. This one is definitely not all hype, like I felt Bioshock Infinite was after a few hours.

We can get more single player content? How does this work?

smr00

Banned
You are a brave man. I genuinely dread having to face the runners and clickers. There is a moment where the amount of fear created in the atmosphere was almost too much for me.
I woke up boyfriend up twice screaming like a little girl.

I told myself i was going to overcome my fear of horror games and i am a man of my world. It's absolutely fucking terrifying though, so much so i didn't even go outside to smoke last night i just held in my cravings till the morning.

We can get more single player content? How does this work?
Most likely prequel stuff? I think it would be fucking awesome to have some DLC like the beginning of the game.
fill in the 20 year gap over the span of a few hours or something

I think I've narrowed down my game of the generation down to two contenders. It's either gonna be Red Dead Redemption or The Last of Us. This game is amazing.

Geido

It's not as simple as "lower your standards". People who game on the PC do so for a reason, and their reasons do not simply vanish because a game they want to play happens to be exclusive to an inferior platform. The individual has to weigh exclusivity of the experience against inferior everything else. Some people cannot overlook those kinds of flaws regardless of how singular the experience is. It's the same reason why people have trouble going back and playing Deus Ex 1 or Baldur's Gate or a hundred other classic games. The singularity of those experiences does not overcome the colossal regression in features, visuals, and modern design.

I feel kinda sorry for those people.

Me, I can't even tell the difference between 60 fps and anything less. Sure, I notice stuff going really slow in Fallout, but 30 and 60... No idea what everyone is talking about.

Ignorance truly is bliss in these instances.

-Plasma Reus-

I told myself i was going to overcome my fear of horror games and i am a man of my world. It's absolutely fucking terrifying though, so much so i didn't even go outside to smoke last night i just held in my cravings till the morning.

Most likely prequel stuff? I think it would be fucking awesome to have some DLC like the beginning of the game.

I haven't yelled yet. But the fear was palpable. I was shaking the entire time. I was home alone too. :(

Emwitus

I had no idea the PS3 could do this.

Location spoilers in relation to graphics.

Did you catch the river and snow?

And i saw a review that mentioned this game feels like a NOVEL. Couldn't have put it any other way. I wonder how many gaffers feel this way

-Plasma Reus-

Sped 20 bucks on the season pass which includes two mp packs and one sp pack.

If the SP pack is long enough. I will definitely be purchasing it. ND, just keep releasing seasonal SP stories, and I'll pay a subscription. This is essentially one of those high quality TV shows, like Breaking Bad or whatever you happen to like.

Ohh, that's a good idea :D

derExperte

I'm having problems getting into this game. My standards may just be too high from being a PC gamer, but the awful and inconsistent frame rate is really hindering my experience. Also being told how beautiful the game is when in actuality the low res textures and immediately noticeable disparity between cut scenes and gameplay IQ is off putting.

I totally get where you coming from, the first hours were rough for me as well. But how far are you? The visuals improve noticeably after the first third and I got somewhat used to the framerate hitches. It's just what it is, a potentially visually stunning game clearly hindered by the hardware it's running on but there's enough detail and nice scenery to compensate for the problems. At least to a certain extent. Also the animations are top notch.

Yeah I'd love to see DLC that basically chronicles Joel's change from pre-outbreak regular guy to a black market smuggler without a moral compass

Hell, that could be an entire game on its own. Not only seeing Joel change, but also seeing society collapse, martial law go into effect, the rise of the Fireflies, etc.

I'm 45% in. What part are you talking about?

By the way, this is by far the best game I've played since Uncharted 2. And that time includes GTA 4, RDR, Dark Souls

Emwitus

Yeah I'd love to see DLC that basically chronicles Joel's change from pre-outbreak regular guy to a black market smuggler without a moral compass

Hell, that could be an entire game on its own. Not only seeing Joel change, but also seeing society collapse, martial law go into effect, the rise of the Fireflies, etc.

I'm 45% in. What part are you talking about?

By the way, this is by far the best game I've played since Uncharted 2. And that time includes GTA 4, RDR, Dark Souls

Youre not there yet.

I rarely, if ever, play online multiplayer, but TLOU's MP is something else. I love it.

If anyone wants to play, my PSN name is cvbxsta
Add me as a friend

But I'm focusing on the single player right now

What I have loved particularly so far have been the different types of items in various houses. It's not always the same tv, couch, kitchen set up, beds, etc. everything appears to be unique with little to no repetition. It is very impressive.

About 2/3 done I think, and I'm liking it a lot. Already looking forward to playing it again and keep levelling up my skills/weapons etc.

And I even tried the multiplayer. Liked it a fair bit, even though I'm not a MP guy usually. Wish there was a 'horde' mode though, co-op multiplayer is still my favorite.

cacophony

so how the hell do I fight clickers if I can't grab them and shiv them? I'm at
the part where the clicker is in that little shed on the way to Bill's and another one comes out with it

Chris R

the part where the clicker is in that little shed on the way to Bill's and another one comes out with it

You either avoid them and move to the next area or kill them with a molotov/gun. Really like that the game doesn't make you kill everything to move to the next area. Sneaky play is fun play.

DatDude

Banned
Can't tell if I'm a big pussy or a giant boss for being able to escape that horde of clickers by just sprinting towards the exit!

I love that you can actually run away but I've only done it twice, and spots where it almost seemed like you were supposed to, when the
Bloater
appeared in the elevator shaft, and the
enemy tank chasing you downtown

NIN90

At that part I threw a brick at the first Clicker (which stunned him) and meleed him to death before the other one arrived. There was another brick right next to the shed, so I did the same with the other Clicker.

Top Bottom