• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

GuessWho

I haven't started it yet, but how is the difficulty? I'm not into hard games anymore and was wondering if normal is going to cause me a few rage headaches.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
After Tomb Raider, I just can't get the hang of this bow.

Yeah, in it's unaltered, non upgraded state it's a terrible piece of garbage. Used it about a total of two times
besides when the game forces you to use it

I haven't started it yet, but how is the difficulty? I'm not into hard games anymore and was wondering if normal is going to cause me a few rage headaches.

The beginning is a little hard since you really don't have many tools at your disposal, but it felt like the game got progressively easier as it went on. Played it on normal.

If you want to get through the game as easy as possible, I'd go for Easy. It's pretty challenging even on the lowest difficulty.

Mupod

After Tomb Raider, I just can't get the hang of this bow.

upgrading the range helped a bit. Seems like bodyshots kill squishy targets so you don't need to headshot. I don't use it on armored enemies but it helps a lot thinning out enemy numbers since it's silent.

D23

it will, id recommend easy if u just want to enjoy the story, because you WILL die on normal

vilmer_

I haven't even bothered using a bow. There are far better choices to go with at any given time. Unless you've blown all of that precious ammo and health packs :p

Vire

I haven't even bothered using a bow. There are far better choices to go with at any given time. Unless you've blown all of that precious ammo and health packs :p

The bow is actually probably the best weapon in the game. Particularly towards the end.

You can kill people from a distance silently. What more could you want?

Is there anyway to turn off getting healthpacks automatically? Why does this happen? Or am I missing something? I think twice or four times now, I've gotten health packs automatically. Pretty sure Ellie isn't giving it to me either.

I love the bow too, but ammo is so scarce. It got me out of this one part when I made some nice stealth kills. Using the weapons is so satisfying, but I try to melee because I HATE how loud the guns are. They scare me, and I get paranoid. (That's a compliment).

I'm a little lost in the story--
Who are the random bad guys killing random civilians? You see it when Joel and Ellie leave the city with Henry. They shoot down two civilians, and then comment that they have no food. Are they the Fireflies, or the government, or just random bad guys?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
7h 44min in. Just hit the E3 2012 demo area. Never before have I played a game that has delivered so well on all of it's lofty promises. The human AI is truly remarkable and unpredictable. Aesthetically the game is gorgeous. The amount of care and unique detail put into every area is astounding.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I am getting owned on the first encounter with the clicker and several runners. Any tips?
Bricks and bottles thrown into corners to set up runners for takedowns. A direct hit on clickers with bottles or bricks to initially stun them, then melee.

Only 4 hours in but what's up with shivs?

After I use it once is it gone? And after every time I craft one does it require even more resources then before to craft again?

Bricks and bottles thrown into corners to set up runners for takedowns. A direct hit on clickers with bottles or bricks to initially stun them, then melee.

If stunned will regular melee work? As in no need to be holding an item?

I'm playing on normal and have died 7 times 4 hours in. Thinking about dropping it to easy to just enjoy the story but my pride is stopping me.

Mupod

I am getting owned on the first encounter with the clicker and several runners. Any tips?

as I've said before this is the hardest part of the game I've played and I'm at 52%.

Here's what I did:

1. start by heading down the hall to the right and stealth kill the dude there. Nobody will see you.
2. remember that infected can hear you at max crouch walk speed (at least on hard, but play it safe)
3. great way to deal with infected is a grab as they walk past a corner. You can grab from the front if they are unalerted.
4. the clicker CANNOT see you. You can stealth kill guys in front of him and he won't do anything. He also doesn't seem to respond to thrown bricks.
5. a distraction brick should get the armored soldier guy who patrols around the clicker to come to you, and the other guy has a predictable pathing. That just leaves one more who does nothing but walk around a pillar.
6. I finished the clicker by just getting some range, hitting him with a brick and shooting. You can shiv him if you stealth up, but I didn't know that at the time and would have saved the shiv anyways. I think brick stun then melee WITH a weapon will take one down as well.

Wow. There is a cutscene with Ellie and
Sam
that is just amazing. It's incredible animated and acted.

I'm going to say this has to be the GOTY. I can't see how anything can top it.

Mupod

Is there anyway to turn off getting healthpacks automatically? Why does this happen? Or am I missing something? I think twice or four times now, I've gotten health packs automatically. Pretty sure Ellie isn't giving it to me either.

those aren't health packs. There's food and such lying around that's an instant heal, but only does a bar or less.

Okay I'm in the part where there are a bunch of clickers walking around and I have to sneak around. Where the hell do I go? There's a lone clicker standing in front of a gate on the opposite side, but I don't want to waste a shiv on him if that gate doesn't open up and I'm supposed to be going somewhere else...

Mupod

Okay I'm in the part where there are a bunch of clickers walking around and I have to sneak around. Where the hell do I go? There's a lone clicker standing in front of a gate on the opposite side, but I don't want to waste a shiv on him if that gate doesn't open up and I'm supposed to be going somewhere else...

Distract him with a bottle or shiv him, then look up from where he was standing. I got stuck here too

Bladenic

Finished for now with 48% at 8 hours. I guess it'll be 16 hours assuming I go at the same pace or the game goes at the same pace.

MAX PAYMENT

Is anyone experiencing this multiplayer lag/glitch where your character cannot move at random times for like 5 seconds?

It is absolutely infuriating.

Sneak choke the runners,
and sneak shiv kill the clickers. It is the only way to sneak kill them afaik. Sometimes I just throw shit somewhere and wait for the clickers to follow the noise. Avoiding the clickers all together is sometimes a better option, although, some of them drop decent ammo occasionally.

Im playing it on hard with the silence thing turned off btw.

Throw something to get the clickers attention. After that it'll start roaming around and you can stealth kill it if you have a shiv. This works in general when you've got a clicker up against a wall that you can't get in on.

Finished for now with 48% at 8 hours. I guess it'll be 16 hours assuming I go at the same pace or the game goes at the same pace.
Thank god, I'm not the only one. My pace seems a bit faster, 55% at 8 hrs. But with people saying they're only up to the E3 area at 7 or 10hrs, are we rushing? It doesn't feel like I'm rushing

Would what be the definite point where the second half starts? Pittsburgh,
meeting Henry/Sam
entering the sewer
Fall
? Before those?

If anyone is interested in what sound to choose, here's a post from a dev during the Uncharted 2 release

Actually, the dynamic range menu option in U2 isn't *exactly* the same as a processor's DRC, but it is similar in many respects. You are correct that it's really all about how much difference exists between the loudest and softest sounds. In U2, the dynamic range game audio setting breaks down as follows.

Default: The game picks what it thinks is the most appropriate compression based on your output format. This will be 'Wide' if you have 'Stereo Headphones' selected, 'Normal' if any discrete multichannel output 5.1 or better is selected, or 'Narrow' if 'Stereo' or 'Dolby PLII' is selected. Note that 'Maximum' and 'Midnight' are not in this list; those have to be set explicitly.

Maximum: No dynamic range compression applied at all.

Wide: A small amount of dynamic range compression is applied; threshold for volume maximization is -4.0dB.

Normal: A medium amount of dynamic range compression is applied; threshold for volume maximization is -8.0dB.

Narrow: A large amount of dynamic range compression is applied; threshold for volume maximization is -10.0dB. This really squashes the dynamic range, but makes quiet sounds perceptible on poor fidelity systems. Like, your average TV set.

Midnight: A very large amount of dynamic range compression is applied; threshold for volume maximization is -16.0dB, and the volume is also scaled back quite a bit. The end result, is almost everything sounds the same volume. Also, the LFE channel is disabled in this mode. Meant for playing the game at very low volume levels late at night.

If you ask me, the amount of dynamic range you want is going to be based on more about whether or not you like what you hear. 'Maximum' is the way the game was mixed, with reference monitors. However, unless you are listening in a room that has very good acoustic treatment, the quiet bits might be a tad too quiet with all compression disabled. The default dynamic range will pick 'Normal' on any 5.1/7.1 setup, which should hopefully not sound too squashed. I'd be keen to hear feedback from audiophiles about what they think about the fidelity of these different modes.

I cringe when I see forum posts where people suggest setting the option to 'Midnight' to make anything louder. I'm quite sure they aren't aware they're ruining the fidelity (and losing their sub!) with that option. A true shame none of this information was printed in the instruction manual. Oh well...

And while I'm on the topic of U2 audio options, note that the center channel size defaults to 'small', and for good reason. It isn't just about having a full-range center, though if you don't, I CERTAINLY wouldn't pick 'large' unless you have good bass management. What it is really for is to manage whether or not FX pan across the center or not. Dialog always pans across center, but in movies, most FX generally don't. In games, since much of the action happens up front, even with full-range centers, putting all of the volume in one speaker for all the dialog *and* FX happening directly in front of you generally doesn't sound as good as spreading the power for the FX around to the front mains. It also can make the sound field feel a bit narrower. Movies don't generally spread FX across center for the same reason, so I don't see why games should. However, if you've got a 5.1/7.1 setup where all 3 front speakers are identical, and you like the way it sounds spreading the effects across center, then by all means go for it. The reason this option even exists, is because unlike a movie, the game mixes its dialog and effects on-the-fly, so there is no reason to force the user to have (or not have) 'phantom center' for FX.

Dresden

Thank god, I'm not the only one. My pace seems a bit faster, 55% at 8 hrs. But with people saying they're only up to the E3 area at 7 or 10hrs, are we rushing? It doesn't feel like I'm rushing

Would what be the definite point where the second half starts? Pittsburgh,
meeting Henry/Sam
entering the sewer
Fall
? Before those?

Fall
is apparently the 2/3 mark, or so people say. I'd put
Henry/Sam encounter
as the rough halfway point if that's the case.

Manu

Played about four hours, I'm trying not to blow through the game but man, sogood.gif

I'm loving it so far, and this is from someone who thinks Uncharted is overrated.

Soooooo, the recommended way to play is Hard with no Listen mode right? I don't want the game to get too easy after a certain point but I'm not a masochist.

JB1981

Man this game is jaggy and feels like its missing a texture pass or something. Anyway, the opening was downright riveting.

Just got to the first workbench, I have two weapons
revolver and 9mm pistol
, should I bother with upgrading them, or should I hoard my scavenge points?

GulAtiCa

I personally love the bow, makes being stealthy easier from a distance, plus the ability for chance to retake your arrow. I've been using the bow a lot on the hunters when they are still not aware I'm around.

btw: Is there no way to drag a dead body? I find it a little odd that once dead, I'm not given an option to drag and hide the body. Kinda makes it less stealthy when the hunter's pals figure out someone is near by.

Mupod

Just got to the first workbench, I have two weapons
revolver and 9mm pistol
, should I bother with upgrading them, or should I hoard my scavenge points?

I'd recommend making sure you get the holster upgrades ASAP, but the cheap basic upgrades are fine. You'll always be using those guns because there's not enough ammo to go around and you have to switch constantly.

Top Bottom