• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Do enemies really drop more ammo if you shoot them? Noticed I was getting ammo drops from almost all the enemies that came pouring in during
the first bloater fight
if I shot them.

Megasoum

Banned
Ok...forget what I said last night about the graphics... Either I got used to them or the levels actually get prettier but I'm in
Lincoln
right now and it's really pretty. Especially the sunset coming through the alleys between the buildings.

Bricks are definitely the best. Especially during
the part where you play as Ellie with only a knife
I had an awesome brick-n-stab routine going. I have to say though, that whole part of the game (
Winter
) was kind of relentless with the shoot outs.

Anyone else get the auto-save bug? I was right near the end and ended up losing around 11 hours worth of play because it wouldn't let me save :(

Do enemies really drop more ammo if you shoot them? Noticed I was getting ammo drops from almost all the enemies that came pouring in during
the first bloater fight
if I shot them.

I'm not sure, but apparently you don't get ammo if you stealth kill an enemy which kind of annoys me. It seems like if you were low on ammo and could only stealth/melee kill, that'd be the time to drop more ammo. xD

Ok...forget what I said last night about the graphics... Either I got used to them or the levels actually get prettier but I'm in
Lincoln
right now and it's really pretty. Especially the sunset coming through the alleys between the buildings.

I think the game really does get better looking the more you play - it's weird.
Lincoln
was the first "wow, pretty" area in the game for me.

Dude Abides

Banned
Is there some trick to shiving the clickers? I snuck up on one, grabbed with triangle, had a shiv, hit triangle for shiv, but he killed me nonetheless.

I'm I think in the second half of the game and man the game is just a blast to play. I actually LOVE encountering enemies in this game because it's so fun to melee shit. My friend was watching me play and jumped after he saw me melee a runner with a machete head off clean. he already is buying a PS3 back again he said to play the game.

The scene where the black dude shoots himself in the head after shooting his infected brother was CRAY!

TheExodu5

Banned
MP is fun, but the weapon balance seems terrible. The semi automatic rifle is better than everything else. I try using the hunting rifle but it takes 5 seconds to load each shot, and 2 shots to kill. The semi auto kills in 3 and can shoot far faster.

I am getting so frustrated with this game randomly giving me health packs. I DONT WANT THEM.

I have to say, the demo was so off from what I expected from the overall game. Feels a bit too Uncharted-y at this point when it comes to the story/sequences. I was really hoping for the game to be filled with more scenes from the demo,
and the elevator
part. I want to be scared.

Sgblues

Yeah that sniper was pretty bullshit though, if you got close to the house where he's in and look up you can see the rifle clearly pointing straight ahead but he can still shoot you at an angle(almost 90 degrees)

I did wish you could have manually stabbed him after the qte part

50%, 7 hours in

Still in Pittsburgh, just met
Sam

Best part of the game so far, but the second half is better than this? I can't see how

Megasoum

Banned
I think the game really does get better looking the more you play - it's weird.
Lincoln
was the first "wow, pretty" area in the game for me.

Yeah and the characters look so fucking incredible during cutscenes... Holy shit when
Bill takes of his mask
...wow

Grisby

This game just keeps getting better. I don't think it's the Citizen Kane (christ) of gaming but it's damn fun. Waaaaaaaay better than Uncharted 3.

Even with the framerate deal and the splinter cell pile of bodies in a room stuff. Just having a fun time.

TLOU is like Children of Men mixed with I Am Legend sprinkled with some Walking Dead.

I really do love that reload animation is so slow vs your typical lighting fast reload animations in most shooters.

This game does make me realize i do suck terribly at accuracy shooting on controller. :(

I'm not sure, but apparently you don't get ammo if you stealth kill an enemy which kind of annoys me. It seems like if you were low on ammo and could only stealth/melee kill, that'd be the time to drop more ammo. xD

No ammo from stealth kills sucks. I haven't been able to use the rifle in hours :(

Does bow headshot count as a stealth kill?

I'm about 7 hours or 38% into this right now.

.....OK Naughty Dog, this is pretty damn good. So much more fun than Uncharted 3. The dynamic when you alert a bunch of infected enemies and you know a Clicker is among them is amazing. And while the friendly AI is sometimes ridiculous during stealth, they're really helpful in combat, mostly to give you a break and quickly regroup.

ElRenoRaven

I have to agree. loving the game. I can't stop going back and forth between single and multi player. I suck total ass at MP but still loving it.

Finished the game, and I'm so fucking exhausted. It's one huge emotional roller coaster, and I'm torn between this and Bioshock Infinite as the best game of the year.

I don't know how many virgins did Naughty Dogs sacrifice but the animations & acting in this game is the best of this generation. Seriously, how the fuck did they manage to capture all that in their in-engine CGI.

Grisby

I really do love that reload animation is so slow vs your typical lighting fast reload animations in most shooters.
This game does make me realize i do suck terribly at accuracy shooting on controller. :(

Yeah, the animation has been great. I loved seeing Ellie balance on a sidewalk or trying to catch butterflies/fireflies.

Even though she has almost gotten me killed once or twice I think she's the best AI partner this year (take that Elizabeth).

Ok so in at the part of the game right after Pittsburgh
where you find the remains of what looks to be a colony underground. You get the kids out the door and you and Sam have to hold your ground until the kids get the door open.
. holy shit is that part intense. I was whipping out every bomb and Molotov I had just to stay alive.

D23

im treating this game like a piece of steak, playing 2 or 3 hours at a time. u guys that blitz thru this r crazy!!

this is some good ass steak!! savor it people

Khronico

Even though I had a lot of complaints with the game, I still like the majority of what I played. The story was interesting and intense, the sound design and voice acting was top notch, and the graphics were probably the best I've seen on the PS3. Plus this was the first game where I felt physically uncomfortable watching my character die.

I like how the SP doesn't encourage restarting encounters because you mess up the stealth. Play with the hands you're dealt, and live with your mistakes. Or die, whichever the case may be.

@ Khronico, I thought that was a MASSIVE spoiler untilI realised you meant in open gameplay :D

Vire

Finished the game, and I'm so fucking exhausted. It's one huge emotional roller coaster, and I'm torn between this and Bioshock Infinite as the best game of the year.

I don't know how many virgins did Naughty Dogs sacrifice but the animations & acting in this game is the best of this generation. Seriously, how the fuck did they manage to capture all that in their in-engine CGI.

It's really not even close.

Infinite didn't even come close to having the same emotional impact as The Last of Us. I cared more about Ellie and Joel than I ever did about Booker and Elizabeth.

This game moved me.

Grisby

I like how the SP doesn't encourage restarting encounters because you mess up the stealth. Play with the hands you're dealt, and live with your mistakes. Or die, whichever the case may be.

@ Khronico, I thought that was a MASSIVE spoiler untilI realised you meant in open gameplay :D
Yeah, I've messed up a couple of times but I rolled with it. Made for more hectic encounters.

It's kinda crazy to see a triple 'a' game with these kind of mechanics. I mean, it's still casual survival horror, what with the fair amount of checkpoints and all but man I still like it.

Moozo

Ok so in at the part of the game right after Pittsburgh
where you find the remains of what looks to be a colony underground. You get the kids out the door and you and Sam have to hold your ground until the kids get the door open.
. holy shit is that part intense. I was whipping out every bomb and Molotov I had just to stay alive.

That glitched on me. Joel disappeared through a wall for a split second while I was swinging wildly with a bat and suddenly all the enemies were gone. All I had to do was wait for her to open the door then

So far, this kinda reminds me of Manhunt, especially the flavor of the violence, and the unpredictable situations where the AI does something fourth-wall breakingly stupid.

Intro was pretty great.

I must be flying through thus too. Only about 4 hours an I'm at about 42%

Fucking hell this game is great so far. I can't believe people are saying it just gets better. So insanely intense. Great story too. Really excited to see what happens to these characters.

Edit: oh and no listen mode. Game is much better without it I think. I can see why they would put it in though for some people. Glad it is still playable without it.

Mupod

I am getting so much better at this game. Early on after the 20th restart on that first bunch of infected/single clicker I considered recanting my Man Mode ways. But I'm glad I didn't because that was by far the hardest part.

Almost 11 hours in and it says I'm at 52%, wasn't expecting it to be 11 hours to begin with. I search EVERY area extensively though I doubt I missed much of anything. Current location:
just escaped the Humvee and met the two guys.

Also, the bow is godlike but I've yet to be able to retrieve an arrow.

is there a way to make it so that the audio doesn't get distorted when characters are talking from other rooms or large distances? i'd rather not have to turn subtitles on, but i'm tired of missing dialogue because the AI is lagging behind or running ahead.

So I'm in
Pittsburgh, escaping the city
. The way the encounters were in that whole section, beginning to end, I don't see how the game could top that....

Multiplayer is really damn fun.

I do have a concern though- my fat model's fans kick into overdrive once I get to the start menu..anyone else's do this?

Elixist

ya this game is pretty special, the Naughty Dog tropes are annoying of boosting somebody to a ledge and openin doors together, but combat is fuckin meaty and nasty i love it. I like the cinematics and theres just alot of cool variety in the environments and situations. I almost get a Dishonored vibe with the above ground having certain enemys and underground/ dark depths having others. Re4 is definetely here in spirit, with gory player deaths and slowish aiming, sense of tension.

probably shouldve bought it instead of renting it, but i thought the multi might be shit im a bad person.

So I'm in
Pittsburgh, escaping the city
. The way the encounters were in that whole section, beginning to end, I don't see how the game could top that....

I felt legitimately
pissed at Henry and could feel Joel's anger after the sequence you described
. That's the mark of amazing writing, folks.

Top Bottom