• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Sakura

What do you dislike about Uncharted that would put you off from this game?

I don't know a lot about The Last of Us, but I did not like the plot in Uncharted and the gameplay/shooting felt pretty mediocre. Also the games were super linear, which is ok I guess if the story is very engrossing but I felt that wasn't the case with Uncharted. What Uncharted did well in my eyes was the acting.

Veelk

Banned
To be fair (big early game spoilers),
we knew Tess would bite the dust pretty early on because she's never been the focus of any of the media rollout.

Well, I didn't pay any attention to that, so I had no idea. The moment it became obvious to me was when
she said that she wanted to lay low with Joel when they got back.
I can't find the specific TV tropes page, but it's basically the
"Cop has 2 days before retirement"
line, at which point it is obvious they are a walking corpse.

Well, I didn't pay any attention to that, so I had no idea. The moment it became obvious to me was when
she said that she wanted to lay low with Joel when they got back.
I can't find the specific TV tropes page, but it's basically the
"Cop has 2 days before retirement"
line.

That was exactly what I thought when I got to that line. :lol

jediyoshi

wait there are skins? When I was looking for skins to change to like in Uncharted all I saw was shit like hats

Single player skins that is, they're under unlockables in the pause menu. The multiplayer customization is pretty much just head stuff, bit of a shame.

So, about 2 hours in so far... I think it's just alright, I don't feel as if it has captured me quite yet. The intro was ok, the graphics are ok and the VA/acting has been pretty good. I'm playing on Hard and the encounters certainly are about trial and error. I don't know if I'm growing immune to this stuff, but I haven't felt any tense or frightening moments yet.

I-hate-u

I don't know a lot about The Last of Us, but I did not like the plot in Uncharted and the gameplay/shooting felt pretty mediocre. Also the games were super linear, which is ok I guess if the story is very engrossing but I felt that wasn't the case with Uncharted. What Uncharted did well in my eyes was the acting.

From wide-linear levels to upgrading skills to crafting, The Last of Us is more "gamey" than Uncharted. I personally loved the Uncharted games and found no problem with its gameplay, but TLOU is better. The story is 10X more serious than any Uncharted games and the character are more interesting imo.

chogidogs

Yup. You'll probably like this. Plot is stronger than any Uncharted game (probably because it's not as fantastical.) And shooting and combat is way better. Got a real Arkhan Asylum vibe plotting out my routes for stealth kills and also old school RE managing my inventory because I blew all my ammo in the last encounter. Play it on hard if you want a challenge.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I just started up my PS3 to play a little and I think my console is dying. Fuck me. Hopefully it holds up long enough for me to finish the game lol.

I can't say you'll for sure like it, of course, but for whatever it's worth, I'm so-so on Uncharted and enjoying this a lot so far. Gunplay has real punch, real impact.

DatDude

Banned
Watching the credits. God I hope this game gets the 1080p deluxe treatment for PS4. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I honestly would as well.

Sell it as a GOTY (with all the season pass inclusions with upgraded visuals, and maybe some behind the scenes documentary) edition and fucking bought.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I just started up my PS3 to play a little and I think my console is dying. Fuck me. Hopefully it holds up long enough for me to finish the game lol.
I know right?! Mine is dying too. It keeps freezing when I play disc based games and sometimes doesn't load them. It's making me on the fence to buy this Wednesday :/

Pranay

So, about 2 hours in so far... I think it's just alright, I don't feel as if it has captured me quite yet. The intro was ok, the graphics are ok and the VA/acting has been pretty good. I'm playing on Hard and the encounters certainly are about trial and error. I don't know if I'm growing immune to this stuff, but I haven't felt any tense or frightening moments yet.

the game at start is good but nothing great.

its a slow game. keep playing but get well aquinted with all skills and menu

DatDude

Banned

Well if you like a more serious/emotional plot than this could be up your alley.

An I can say first hand that the shooting here is WAYYYYYYYYYY better than Uncharted. WAYYYYYYY better.

An while the last of us is still "linear", it feels much more open than Uncharted ever was.

Also if you liked the acting, my god will you love the acting in the last of us. The voice acting, the writing, just the performance of these characters is just transcending the medium in leaps and bounds,.

DatDude

Banned
They really are using every trope in the book for this game :/

It's not meant to really "tread" new ground narrative wise in the zombie apocalypse arena. If you've seen it once, you've seen it before. The beauty of The Last of Us plot is how it's handled it terms of performance, and maturity. It's never been done this WELL in a game, well, ever.

I-hate-u

After finishing this game, there is no way in my mind that Naughty Dog is going back to Uncharted. They excel so much in the dark-serious tone setting way more the go-happy Drake adventures. They are seriously way ahead of other developers in their medium Anyone else feel the same? I bet they are working 2 brand new ips.

Also Neil Druckmann is one of the best story writer in games these days.

Mush

So I just met Bill and just want to chime in my thoughts so far.

Not very impressed. Oh, the production levels are obviously straight threw the roof, but so far the story has been the most predictable thing I've played all year. I don't think there is a single shock moment that I didn't call out beforehand.
I knew Ellie would be immune as soon as I was told that she was the package, and I knew Tess was dying the before she was even bit.
I really don't usually complain about this kind of stuff because there is a certain amount of predictability to everything, but it's a bit ridiculous when I'm calling out each and every plot point way before it appears.
I'm glad I'm not only one who thought this. The characters, as wonderful as they are (I seriously haven't met someone yet I don't like) can't make up for some of the predictability of some of the events.

Also, why the FUCK did I not read the description for Shiv Master earlier?

Jaroof

Played a few games of Survivors mode.. by my 5th match, I ended up getting first on my team ^_^
20130616_034354_zps1162e441.jpg
This multiplayer is a blast.
So intense.

Mupod

you are pretty much nowhere, people aren't kidding about the length. The handholding linear shit went on a bit longer than I'd like, and I was super frustrated by the early infected encounters. But it's long since come together.

Stuff like how infected go from frustrating to fun once you have real guns and don't need to even try to stealth them anymore. Or how the environments open WAY up and result in some great cat and mouse battles with humans.

I'm glad I'm not only one who thought this. The characters, as wonderful as they are (I seriously haven't met someone yet I don't like) can't make up for some of the predictability of some of the events.
Also, why the FUCK did I not read the description for "Shiv Master" earlier?

It really takes some interesting turns in the last half or so.

Just finished my hard playthough with a time of 17 hours, 4 minutes. I won't go too much into impressions because so many are playing but I really like where they went with the last bit of the game and Joel's characterization.

The whole Winter segment was just stunning, I can't wait until more people get to it. I think that's really where the game became a masterpiece for me.

DatDude

Banned
After finishing this game, there is no way in my mind that Naughty Dog is going back to Uncharted. They excel so much in the dark-serious tone setting way more the go-happy Drake adventures. They are seriously way ahead of other developers in their medium Anyone else feel the same? I bet they are working 2 brand new ips.

Also Neil Druckmann is one of the best story writer in games these days.

Definitely.

It boggles my mind honestly. Why is Naughty Dog able to write so much better than others? Why is Naughty Dog able to find voice actors that sound as if they actually FIT the characters? Why is Naughty Dog able to have some of the best acting in this medium from there actors?

I mean what Naughty Dog does, especially with The Last of Us is SOOOOOOOOO far ahead than most developers that it kind of makes me wonder why is this? Is it because of Sony's first party support? But than why are Gurrilla games, or Sucker punch aren't able to make such captivating games like Naughty Dog can? Or are they just THAT much more talented than everyone else?

Also, I'm sorry Kojima, but what Naughty Dog does with there 3 minute cutscene is infinitely times more effective than your over bloated 30 minute cutscene palooza .

I got the point where
Henry kills himself
. That was just despair, horrible, and absolutely realistic to the point where it got to me in ways I thought I wouldn't imagine. I could easily see him within myself, because I've been in the same place he's been (not zombies, of course, but something no less agonizing)

Mupod

I was gonna say you guys are gushing a bit much on the writing thing but the voice work is really great. Can't think of many games that do it so well and more importantly consistently. VtM: Bloodlines is a favorite of mine in terms of voice work but it's not like every character in the game is up to the same standard. Aside from the thugs sounding a bit too much like they were rented from Arkham Asylum it's all good in TLOU.

Especially Ellie's potty mouth. I love that.

DatDude

Banned
It really takes some interesting turns in the last half or so.

Just finished my hard playthough with a time of 17 hours, 4 minutes. I won't go too much into impressions because so many are playing but I really like where they went with the last bit of the game and Joel's characterization.

The whole Winter segment was just stunning, I can't wait until more people get to it. I think that's really where the game became a masterpiece for me.

I'm on Winter right now. Easily the high point for me. Not just because of the narrative developments, but because of just how damn beautiful, and how thick the atmosphere is here.

Also I was super excited when I found out that
Joel was still alive. For some reason I thought when he fell off the horse he died there..

The only shitting part about this chapter is that I know the game will end soon. An that sucks, alot.

Also is the second game since Spec Ops that discuss the mass murdering of people? Was pretty excited when that got brought up. This game feels very much like the anti-Bioshock Infinite in that regard.

Definitely.

It boggles my mind honestly. Why is Naughty Dog able to write so much better than others? Why is Naughty Dog able to find voice actors that sound as if they actually FIT the characters? Why is Naughty Dog able to have some of the best acting in this medium from there actors?

I mean what Naughty Dog does, especially with The Last of Us is SOOOOOOOOO far ahead than most developers that it kind of makes me wonder why is this? Is it because of Sony's first party support? But than why are Gurrilla games, or Sucker punch able to make such captivating games like Naughty Dog can? Or are they just THAT much more talented than everyone else?

Also, I'm sorry Kojima, but what Naughty Dog does with there 3 minute cutscene is infinitely times more effective than your over bloated 30 minute cutscene palooza .

I'm getting a PS4 next generation, all because of Naughty Dog. They have proven that they can tell absolutely amazing stories. I'm sort of scared of what they will accomplish next generation.

Jetman

A few hours into it. Enjoying it for the most part but am a bit dissappointed in the A.I. for Ellie/Tess. Always awesome to be trying to get a stealth kill or sneak by a guard,then I turn around and see Ellie or Tess either standing straight up looking off into the distance or sprinting behind me with enemies in tow :/

That and what's up with wearing gas masks around spores/infected bodies toward the beginning of the game then as it progresses and I'm going through waves of hunters and clackers, and their bodies- no gas mask. haha?

Jaroof

The MP is quite fun. Except the elimination mode when you have a team full of retards.

I'm still not sure how the clan aspect works.

Yeah, a crappy team can ruin the experience completely.
Just got downed next to a teammate, and crawled to a safe space, only to have that same teammate just keep shooting (and missing) at the people that were far away from us, leaving me to die. -_-
You really have to strategize in this MP, and I love it for that.

Tess and Ellie are so heavy footed. They're responsible for more of my freak outs than any of the runners or clickers, especially when I'm trying to stealth!

I'm early into it, two hours or so, but what an immersive game so far. Taking my sweet time with this one.

DatDude

Banned
A few hours into it. Enjoying it for the most part but am a bit dissappointed in the A.I. for Ellie/Tess. Always awesome to be trying to get a stealth kill or sneak by a guard,then I turn around and see Ellie or Tess either standing straight up looking off into the distance or sprinting behind me with enemies in tow :/

That and what's up with wearing gas masks around spores/infected bodies toward the beginning of the game then as it progresses and I'm going through waves of hunters and clackers, and their bodies- no gas mask. haha?

1. It was a design decision unfortunately. Naughty Dog purposely did this so it won't become extremely frustrating for the player. AI still has leaps and bounds to grow. I expect better things next gen from Naughty Dog.

2. When Joel puts on the gas mask it's because of spores that are flying in the air. These spores is what was the root of the infection...You can't get infected from breathing around clickers and the infected.

I-hate-u

If ND go back to Uncharted after this I will be so disappointed.

Yes but that does that not mean they need to make more of this game. Its good enough on its own and it ended perfectly. I would be happy if they keep on making brand new ips.

DatDude

Banned
Yes but that does that not mean they need to make more of this game. Its good enough on its own and it ended perfectly. I would be happy if they keep on making brand new ips.

New ip's don't sell though. Sequels do.

Will be curious to see the sales for this one.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Tess and Ellie are so heavy footed. They're responsible for more of my freak outs than any of the runners or clickers, especially when I'm trying to stealth!

Srsly. Don't be running up on me when we're in a room full of monsters trying to eat us, yo. Slow your asses down.

Bladenic

Haven't finished this yet so no comments about franchise potential but I definitely don't want ND to make more Uncharted games. I don't think they will either since they've never continued a franchise to another generation, though I think Uncharted is probably their biggest franchise so who knows?

you are pretty much nowhere, people aren't kidding about the length. The handholding linear shit went on a bit longer than I'd like, and I was super frustrated by the early infected encounters. But it's long since come together.

Stuff like how infected go from frustrating to fun once you have real guns and don't need to even try to stealth them anymore. Or how the environments open WAY up and result in some great cat and mouse battles with humans.

I don't know about that bolded part. I'm nearly 10 hours in-on the hardest difficulty available to me and I'm still trying to stealth kill. This is due, in no small part, primarily to scarcity of ammo lol. It's gotten to the point where EVEN IF I DO have ammo I'll try and stealth kill anyway just cause I don't know if I'll get ammo again for a particular gun. I've become a master of the sneak up and choke out :D

With the way things are on hard I picture it to be even tougher on new game survival+.

Haven't finished this yet so no comments about franchise potential but I definitely don't want ND to make more Uncharted games. I don't think they will either since they've never continued a franchise to another generation, though I think Uncharted is probably their biggest franchise so who knows?

I'd honestly prefer more of the last of us quiet honestly. I having so much more fun than I did with Uncharted 3 at the moment.

Mush

Well I haven't finished it yet so I'll reserve judgment on that but they've got the talent to make any sort of game they want.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just did the Clicker stealth section in downtown and thought reviewers were absolutely right about the ridiculousness of my AI companions not breaking stealth when they spazz out back and forth in front of Clickers. Plus, Runners (or were they Stalkers?) not detecting my flashlight is kind of BS. I haven't yet tested whether human enemies fail to detect it or not.

Come on, ND.

DatDude

Banned
Well I haven't finished it yet so I'll reserve judgment on that but they've got the talent to make any sort of game they want.

Very true.

I sort of want them to take on a bank heist game of sort. Maybe like a game that deals with the mafia and shit. That'd be something different for them.

As much as I was disappointed when finding out that multiplayer had no infected AI, it can still be a bit of a good time. You just have to PRAY that you find a room where at least 6 people aren't camping and will occasionally run out to get their hands a little dirty.

Zemm

The main problem with the MP is that there are only 1 or 2 decent maps, the University and the snow cabin one, the rest are tiny, like seriously tiny and the rounds are over within 30 seconds. Wish they'd add a "lone wolf" matchmaking mode too, a group of randoms will never ever beat a group with mics that stick together and I don't want to wait until all 4 friends are online before playing.

I just did the Clicker stealth section in downtown and thought reviewers were absolutely right about the ridiculousness of my AI companions not breaking stealth when they spazz out back and forth in front of Clickers. Plus, Runners (or were they Stalkers?) not detecting my flashlight is kind of BS. I haven't yet tested whether human enemies fail to detect it or not.

Come on, ND.

The flashlight WILL give you away to humans. A few times I got spotted and was like "WTF I'm hiding!" Then I realized my flashlight was still on.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I feel like I'm sorta cheating when I "silently" take down an enemy with another real close by, and none of the scuffing, struggles, or groans get detected.

The flashlight WILL give you away to humans. A few times I got spotted and was like "WTF I'm hiding!" Then I realized my flashlight was still on.
Ah, good to know.

Top Bottom