• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Bladenic

Oh she does? I'm never out of health packs so I guess that's why that never happened to me. I've gotten down to one but never ran out, luckily.

Vire

I'm glad Ellie didn't pester you every minute with "Hey I found some money!".

After a while, the coin flip thing became comical in BI. Definitely takes you out of the experience and reminds you it's a game.

Tonedeff

So every time I try to go into multiplayer, I get this "Error downloading config file" message. Anybody know what's up with that?

CrazyDude

After a while, the coin flip thing became comical in BI. Definitely takes you out of the experience and reminds you it's a game.

Kind of agree, she did way too often.

Funny, because she did that in 1999 mode only once ever hour and half/two hours or so.

CrazyDude

Oh she does? I'm never out of health packs so I guess that's why that never happened to me. I've gotten down to one but never ran out, luckily.

I am guessing there also has to be a health pack around, which is not often.

Elizabeth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ellie>Clementine
Don't know how anyone can say this. Elizabeth is such a boring character.

I-hate-u

Ellie gave me health kits and ammo when I was in a pinch. But it wasn't only Ellie that did that. Other characters did the same.

Anyone know where the Regal Apartments are? Found a note about a secret stash hidden behind a door with a Red X. Found the note before entering the hotel in Pittsburgh.

Also, what's the difference in attacks and AI between Runners and S
talkers
? Just encountered the latter for the first time at the generator section in the hotel.

apesh1t

Banned
My first 60 dollar game since Max Payne 3!

Anyways, in wide open sunny areas, when I pan the camera around the color and the trees kind of shift in both color and foliage, is this the game or my TV? Kind of annoying.

Bladenic

Anyone know where the Regal Apartments are? Found a note about a secret stash hidden behind a door with a Red X. Found the note foregone entering the hotel in Pittsburgh.

Also, what's the difference in attacks and AI between Runners and S[spoilers]talkers[/spoilers]? Just encountered the latter for the first time at the generator section in the hotel.

The door was outside in a large city area. Pretty sure it was before the hotel, it was a shiv door.

DoomGyver

On hard, I think she gave me a total of 3 health packs. Those all came in the first half of the game. I don't expect any on Survivor.

CrazyDude

Anyone know where the Regal Apartments are? Found a note about a secret stash hidden behind a door with a Red X. Found the note foregone entering the hotel in Pittsburgh.

Also, what's the difference in attacks and AI between Runners and S[spoilers]talkers[/spoilers]? Just encountered the latter for the first time at the generator section in the hotel.

Go back, do you remember seeing a movie poster? The door is right by there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Done with the game, really great! Not in an "OMGF that was awesome" way like the Uncharteds, but more subtly awesome.

Played it on Normal, had some trouble here and there, but overall it was quite easy. Didn't feel like I really had to conserve my supplies all that much. I'm guessing that's different on the higher difficulties. I'm planning on doing the highest difficulty next, probably gonna have to be a lot more careful with stuff there.

Anyone else find this little nostalgic easter egg (not a game spoiler in any way, just some cute decorations)?

I haven't beaten the game yet but have yet to earn a single trophy. I've also read that the trophies may be glitched (perhaps as a result of the autosaving bug) and beating the game won't even give you the "Complete the Game on Hard Difficulty" or whatever. Can anyone that has completed the game verify which trophies you earned?

I cleared the game on Normal and got the trophies for that and Easy.

Finally found a redbox with the game in it...gladly swiped my card and when the disc came out it was a color photocopy of the disc.

What a waste...
Oh man, that sucks. Redbox should really be more secure about this stuff.

Anyways if it helps, there's some codes for free redbox game rentals out there.

Text to 727272
E3 - Expires June 20th
TOMB - Expires June 30th

I went to my redbox at midnight because I was really excited and I was able to use one code for nearly two days since it doesn't need to be turned in until 9pm the next day. Still needed to use the second code since it was lengthy but when I got there both kiosks still had copies.

Pranay

I'm curious to see Ami's impressions. Me and him are usually on the same page in regards to ND games

Silence before storm.

I would love to hear impressions as well,

In this thread i have noticed people opinions changing after playing bits by bits.

Maybe i guess high review and ND factor, looking back i dont the starting was that slow, maybe i guess because of the hypee i was a bit disappointed.

BTW Which area are you in exactly ? Loved your impressions

Bill is nuts. Ellie is almost useless, but she's funny during cutscenes. The clickers are annoying because it's always difficult to kill them. I'm really enjoying this, flaws aside.

That's all.

Majmun

Started a new game + yesterday. The detail put into the environments is out of this world. I'm still discovering new things.

This is now my favorite Naughty Game of this gen. And Uncharted 2 was already my second most favorite game of this gen. My list now looks like this:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Last of Us
3. Uncharted 2
4. Xenoblade
5. Demon's Souls

Naughty Gods indeed. So hyped for their next-gen efforts.

Pranay

This game deserves co op simply because of the animations.

If you dodge an enemy attack and push , and the way bill slices his head off was amazing

Fantasmo

Don't read unless you're done with it.
game froze right as I exited the elevator in the hospital. Fuck me if my save is gone.

Sullichin

45% in, shortly after reuniting
with Ellie after escaping the flooded area of the hotel
. That last part was intense. I wound up running away after
activating the generator
, from looking at this thread I see I'm not the only one who did this. There were some other parts that I ghosted through or straight up ran away without properly exploring. Playing on hard mode, resources are just scarce enough that I'm always hesitant to use my guns, but I'll wind up shooting enemies in most encounters after messing up stealth and just because the shooting feels really excellent. I really enjoyed sneaking around the hotel. The graphics, sound and overall attention to detail are amazing. The encounters are a bit exhausting - I can't play this for hours at a time.

Septimius

I'm really getting into the groove of this game. In the beginning it was nearly too fucking tense. Then I got a better arsenal, and started getting a feel for the game. Headshots with the bow is awesome. I'm just really in the mindset, I feel. It's intensely tense at times, but I just sneak past clickers and hope they don't see me, and do some ninja-foo around other enemies. Meeting regular people was just fun. I really like the AI, and I love the sound that tells you you're being spotted, and that you can hide, again.

The fact that the game lets you know when you're not in danger is really what makes this game. I wouldn't be able to stand a Silent Hill type experience of this caliber. It's tense for a while, then you're safe, and you're just looking through stuff. I really enjoy it.

Bill is nuts. Ellie is almost useless, but she's funny during cutscenes. The clickers are annoying because it's always difficult to kill them. I'm really enjoying this, flaws aside.

That's all.

I only kill clickers if I have to. I've snuck past so many.

Silence before storm.

I would love to hear impressions as well,

In this thread i have noticed people opinions changing after playing bits by bits.

Maybe i guess high review and ND factor, looking back i dont the starting was that slow, maybe i guess because of the hypee i was a bit disappointed.

BTW Which area are you in exactly ? Loved your impressions
45% in. I'm at the section where you
reunite with Ellie and she takes up a rifle to cover Joel.
Stopped last night, but definitely wanted to trudge on. It was 3 AM though!

Vire

Started a new game + yesterday. The detail put into the environments is out of this world. I'm still discovering new things.

This is now my favorite Naughty Game of this gen. And Uncharted 2 was already my second most favorite game of this gen. My list now looks like this:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Last of Us
3. Uncharted 2
4. Xenoblade
5. Demon's Souls

Naughty Gods indeed. So hyped for their next-gen efforts.
After completing the game...

1. The Last of Us
2. Mario Galaxy
3. Uncharted 2/3
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Journey

Batman Arkham Asylum shortly following, Geometry Wars 2 also in this mix.

red731

So now I've learned that there exists this thing - autosave glitch.

That explains everything
KuGsj.gif

Ok hold on I have a complaint about Troy Baker's voice acting on Joel. Not really a complaint more as a did anybody else notice this.

When Joel
meets his brother again and he tells them they were from Texas, I swear Troy just switched to a Texan accent all of a sudden. He didn't even sound natural anymore. Anybody else notice this? Not a bad thing but just something I noticed right when he said he's from Texas.

So guys, Ellie vs Clementine vs Elizabeth. Who is the best companion?

Overall, I'm going with Ellie, but she's nowhere near as enriching as Elizabeth in terms of character depth. Elizabeth obviously was developed for incredibly dated technology, considering what she wanted to do drained the hardware. I always feel that, as a writer, Ken's biggest obstacle has always been technology. Well that, and a fan base that makes me want to scream, but that's another story.

ND do things with the PS3 that really than the 360 can ever hope to do, so it makes sense. Ellie feels like she has superior technology behind her, so she does more to feel incredibly lifelike.

But this is just personal preference. Both characters could not be more different. ND just did more with technology because they're used to creating NPC companions since the first Uncharted. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

The more I play the game, the more it feels like playing Siren from Naughty Dog. The level design, the extremely limited resources and powerful enemies (one hit kills are a good trade off with invulnerable enemies), the stealth, "listening" as opposed to sightjacking, finding archives ...

Pranay

After completing the game...

1. The Last of Us
2. Mario Galaxy
3. Uncharted 2/3
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Journey

Batman Arkham Asylum shortly following, Geometry Wars 2 also in this mix.

Which was your fav level ?

45% in. I'm at the section where Stopped last night, but definitely wanted to trudge on. It was 3 AM though!

Cool , keep playing. Would love to here more impressions.

Overall, I'm going with Ellie, but she's nowhere near as enriching as Elizabeth in terms of character depth. Elizabeth obviously was developed for incredibly dated technology, considering what she wanted to do drained the hardware. I always feel that, as a writer, Ken's biggest obstacle has always been technology. Well that, and a fan base that makes me want to scream, but that's another story.

ND do things with the PS3 that really than the 360 can ever hope to do, so it makes sense. Ellie feels like she has superior technology behind her, so she does more to feel incredibly lifelike.

But this is just personal preference. Both characters could not be more different. ND just did more with technology because they're used to creating NPC companions since the first Uncharted. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

I'm more impressed with the way Elizabeth operated during gameplay, but I haven't beaten TLOU yet so we'll see. I like Clementine the best, but she contributed little to gameplay.

Drencrom

Quick question: Do I have to finish NG+ Hard to get Survivor difficulty? Can't select Survivor even though I finished the game on Hard.

Edit: My bad, have to select New Game.

Edit2: Just noticed lol, thanks anyway

DoomGyver

Just an FYI, if you play on hard and your Easy trophy does not unlock, replay the last chapter on hard and let the credits play. Trophy should unlock.
Quick question: Do I have to finish NG+ Hard to get Survivor difficulty? Can't select Survivor even though I finished the game on Hard.

Select New Game, not new game plus to play survivor.

58% in 9 hours, so I'm estimating 16-17 hour playthrough

So I'm out of sewers and now please some tips for that fucking
sniper
! I've died like 8 times already!

What's the best way to approach? I've tried going along the left side of the house, going from car to car, going through the houses...

Ricker

Mmmm,according to my save I am 5 hours in...right after,well I wont say but it's something that was spoiled for me although I kinda saw it coming and still not a single trophy...? something wrong with my game or is this normal...?

Top Bottom