• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

John_B

I'm at the 'end?' of the financial district and I can't leave. We got into a garage and Ellie wants me to boost her up to the next level but there is no triangle prompt. I've reload, restarted the game and nothing. I've been in this room for 20 minutes and it won't let me boost her up.
Try the cart Ellie used to block the door with.

You can either take the row of houses on the left side of the road or the right side of the road. I tried both but ended up beating it using the left side, so take from that what you want. When you get close the door to the house the sniper is in is open, flank him from inside.

I crafted a bunch of smoke screen bags and used them when crossing areas between cover. I love this game and how you really have to think on your feet.

Fantasmo

Ending impressions:
Come on really? I mean, it's to be expected but would it have killed them to make a happy ending? After condemning mankind I don't feel so good for killing over 1000 people. Shooting those doctors too, the fuck man. I even feel bad about killing the infected now. My god I feel ill after that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What about the (mid-game spoiler)
bloaters or whatever they are called? The guys that have been infected for a very long time and throw bombs of spores at you? Is there something I'm missing or is it just a plot whole that you can inhale those spores and only lose a little bit of health but be fine in the long run?
Late, but I think the implication with that (mid-game enemy type spoiler) is that
the death animation from dying to the bloater's spores is representative of becoming infected, whereas just inhaling a tiny amount and then rushing to and inhaling fresh air and you'll be okay. It's not a death sentence like a bite.

Pranay

Ending impressions:
Come on really? I mean, it's to be expected but would it have killed them to make a happy ending? After condemning mankind I don't feel so good for killing over 1000 people. Shooting those doctors too, the fuck man. I even feel bad about killing the infected now. My god I feel ill after that.

Come to the spoilers thread

I went to buy this today, but it was sold out everywhere in the city :/

I'd download it, but another shipment is supposed to come tomorrow. Knowing the PS store download speeds, that's probably still faster.

Ending impressions:

After
humanity killed your daughter even though there was nothing wrong with her and then you experience humanity kill each other for resources they may or may not have and even eat each other you still want to save humanity? Plus if you have to give up your own humanity just to save it then it's not worth saving. Joel is a father and over the year he's been with Ellie she has become his daughter and they both feel that way. As a father you don't trade your children for anything, not even the world. Happy Fathers Day!

Late, but I think the implication with that (mid-game enemy type spoiler) is that
the death animation from dying to the bloater's spores is representative of becoming infected, whereas just inhaling a tiny amount and then rushing to and inhaling fresh air and you'll be okay. It's not a death sentence like a bite.
Thanks. May be late but don't think I got a clear response from anyone.

How is it that whenever I need a scissors in my house, I can never find a pair, yet it's the zombie apocalypse and they're fucking everywhere...

A third of the way in, great game thus far, living up to the hype.

Kambing

Is it just me but doesn't it feel like TLoU has the best camera controls in any TPS? It feels like there is no input lag at all when i move the camera left or right... Been a while since i played with a controller, but damn, even Tomb Raider on PC did not feel this good when moving the camera around, which i am using as a point of reference. And that was running at 60FPS!

I kind of dislike how they made "aiming" a skill that you can advance... the difference between having 0 in the skill and 2 is HUGE too. I would have much preferred they kept aiming passive, much like running and or walking in the game, which you just... do.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This game has maybe the most beautiful skybox of any game I've ever played.

An example (please excuse the crappy quality, but you get the idea):

j3Rlg6ylPsLdj.jpg

The magnificent lighting and gorgeous skybox create for some powerful atmosphere. The game does an exceptional job capturing the bleakness, despair, and melancholy of a world in ruins.

chogidogs

I just realized that this game completely killed all the hype I had for Beyond. Not only does the protagonist look like Ellie, I can almost guarantee you that the gameplay will not be as fun as The Last of Us.

dab0ne

The
sniping part
can kiss my ass. Why does
the sniper rifle sway? It's on a bipod and I have my aiming leveled up. I don't sway that much while holding guns in my hands unsupported
. I really hated that part of the game. Not looking forward to it again if I ever do another play through.

Other than that I absolutely love the game but that part, man. I DID NOT LIKE.

Yerolo

How long did it take everyone else to
figure out how to gain entrance to the science lab ? Maybe it was just me but I wandered around forever until the game eventually timed out and told me to go back and roll that dupster over to the gate :/

I love the notes you can find. Reading the boys journal in his own hand writing was a cool touch. Eerie.

NPCs keep blocking doorways and take a long time to move of the way -_-

I just realized that this game completely killed all the hype I had for Beyond. Not only does the protagonist look like Ellie, I can almost guarantee you that the gameplay will not be as fun as The Last of Us.

eh, Beyonds story is going to be much deeper and mysterious imo

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, once you hit the Pitt (which is where most of the pre-release media came from) the game really takes off. Some truly outstanding gameplay sequences and absolutely engrossing atmosphere. Love it!

I agree totally.

It also hasn't made me quite as upset/tearful as The Walking Dead (well the beginning was a tearjerker).

Anyway, I'm not at the end yet.

But this game demonstrated something the Walking Dead just doesn't have, and it's that sense of mechancis, sandbox, physical puzzle solving. That's a really bad way of summing it up. I also don't want to say gamey, again - becuase they all sound negative.

But this is seriously one of the best GAMES I've played in ages. Truly stunning.

It's not Uncharted. It's systematic and...I'm just in love.

Hopefully the sequel for PS4, also incorporates some true open-world stuff.

iNvid02

figure out how to gain entrance to the science lab ? Maybe it was just me but I wandered around forever until the game eventually timed out and told me to go back and roll that dupster over to the gate :/

i got stuck here too, missed the hint and thought it pointed at one of the windows so i wandered around aimlessly for a bit longer. finally saw the damn dumpster and realized the hint was actually pointing to the ledge. lol

dab0ne

Is it just me but doesn't it feel like TLoU has the best camera controls in any TPS? It feels like there is no input lag at all when i move the camera left or right... Been a while since i played with a controller, but damn, even Tomb Raider on PC did not feel this good when moving the camera around, which i am using as a point of reference. And that was running at 60FPS!

I kind of dislike how they made "aiming" a skill that you can advance... the difference between having 0 in the skill and 2 is HUGE too. I would have much preferred they kept aiming passive, much like running and or walking in the game, which you just... do.

I agree. I feel like Joel should already be an experienced shooter at this stage in his life.

OwlyKnees

5 minutes until I looked up an FAQ. I wish the game had told me, for a change.

Fantasmo

Do not highlight, just following up with Seventy_X_Seven, will go to spoiler thread afterwards.

Ending spoilers again:

After
humanity killed your daughter even though there was nothing wrong with her and then you experience humanity kill each other for resources they may or may not have and even eat each other you still want to save humanity? Plus if you have to give up your own humanity just to save it then it's not worth saving. Joel is a father and over the year he's been with Ellie she has become his daughter and they both feel that way. As a father you don't trade your children for anything, not even the world. Happy Fathers Day!

You have a point. I'm still not a happy camper. I feel sick after playing this. Like physically ill, after the whole Winter sequence. I don't want to play this again.

Pranay

Has anyone talked about a game stopping bug?

I'm at the 'end?' of the financial district and I can't leave. We got into a garage and Ellie wants me to boost her up to the next level but there is no triangle prompt. I've reload, restarted the game and nothing. I've been in this room for 20 minutes and it won't let me boost her up.

Get that dumpster and place it

Carl

I worked it out eventually, but it took me a while.

Bladenic

I agree. I feel like Joel should already be an experienced shooter at this stage in his life.

Yeah it was one thing that felt very strange. Joel's already shown
wielding a gun in the intro, and then has 20 years to perfect his skill which story wise we are shown that he has.
A very strange story/gameplay segregation.

Another flaw with this game (which has very little), too many times it left me confused on where the heck I'm supposed to go and I'd have to wait for the L3 hint. And it's not in the "Games have been holding my hand for too long that I'm unable to think for myself" sort of way, it was just "the lack of focus and reusing assets so everything looks the same" sort of way. Not too big a deal, but it did happen more than once for me.

So I'm 63% after 9 hours 45 minutes,
Dam under attack
...and yeah, overall impresion so far are 'holy shit, amazing game'.

Exploring the suburbs was awesome. Those random scripted dialogue moments are so natural. Like when Sam and Ellie play darts

Did not expect that with Sam and Henry. They were good people.

Axe kicks ass

Character development between Ellie and Joel is top notch and very believable

I can't recall one trophy earned notification during my gameplay so far. Weird?

Without spoilers: is this game THAT good as people are saying? I'm willing to buy it

It's not the masterpiece the media claims. But it's a solid third person shooter with a nice story and zombie theme. You won't regret it, but it may not blow you away.

Yerolo

i got stuck here too, missed the hint and thought it pointed at one of the windows so i wandered around aimlessly for a bit longer. finally saw the damn dumpster and realized the hint was actually pointing to the ledge. lol

Yeh, for some reason the hint prompt didnt appear for me either. I had to backtrack to the area where the generator gate was before it finally appeared. I was wandering around for about 20mins trying to figure it out

Lol, I was stuck there for a very long time as well. Had been looking for about 20 minutes all over that place before the game gave me an instruction. And I was usually good with that sort of thing too. Guess it was the openness of the place that threw me off.

Pranay

Another flaw with this game (which has very little), too many times it left me confused on where the heck I'm supposed to go and I'd have to wait for the L3 hint. And it's not in the "Games have been holding my hand for too long that I'm unable to think for myself" sort of way, it was just "the lack of focus and reusing assets so everything looks the same" sort of way. Not too big a deal, but it did happen more than once for me.

TBH

Atleast that area where you had to go through the window and it had a gate , i knew we had to find a dumpster if we had to cross the gate since the entire time we require that dumpster, or ladders , so it was a bit logical as well

Wow so good so far. Really didn't expect the game to have so much stealth, much more than any so called "stealth" game that has come out in a long time. Most modern stealth games lately make it too easy to just rambo through the whole thing, here its so much more intense and really want to avoid combat.

And love that the game doesn't seem to hold you hand so much with constant directional arrows and hints, often find myself stuck in spots going "now what"

Top Bottom