• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Blinck

Just finished it.

Absolutely amazing game.

It's not perfect - Some technical hiccups (frame-rate and textures pop-in), and as per usual with every naughty dog game, and what irritates me the most - Big difficulty spike right at the end...when I'm most involved in the story and want to see what happens next I end up dying over and over again...maybe it's just me but it happened to me in all of their games this gen...

Still, fantastic experience. The atmosphere is one of the most well realized in any game I've played, and the tension of many encounters is absolutely insane.

Really amazing and very happy I bought it day one to play it :)

TBH

Atleast that area where you had to go through the window and it had a gate , i knew we had to find a dumpster if we had to cross the gate since the entire time we require that dumpster, or ladders , so it was a bit logical as well
Well I didn't get stuck at that particular section, I'm just saying in general stuff like this happened a lot for me at least.

iNvid02

disappointed there was no option to craft hidden blades with a couple of durable shivs, would have made things so much easier

an assassin like character could do well in this universe if ND ever return to tell more stories, someone like michonne from twd

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Has anyone talked about a game stopping bug?

I'm at the 'end?' of the financial district and I can't leave. We got into a garage and Ellie wants me to boost her up to the next level but there is no triangle prompt. I've reload, restarted the game and nothing. I've been in this room for 20 minutes and it won't let me boost her up.

If its where I think you are: The bed/whatever you used to hold the garage door up, is what you need to use again for Ellie to stand on top of, so she can get there.

Without spoilers: is this game THAT good as people are saying? I'm willing to buy it
I know I'm loving it. The pacing is different than other games and I applaud ND for doing that. It's a slow build up in the beginning, introducing characters and the world and motivations, with bursts of violent encounters. Then the pace gets a kick in the ass and it's been nothing but awesomeness for the last seven hours. The tension and atmosphere is unparalleled. Especially if you play on a harder difficulty, the encounters are either the tensest "survival horror" moments I've experienced or the most intense survival combat I've played. Exploration feels great and the narrative, the voice acting, the relationships are movie-quality

This isn't Uncharted, it's so much more. And the MP isn't tacked on and retains the same tension and focus on stealth that the campaign has

Bladenic

Just finished it.

Absolutely amazing game.

It's not perfect - Some technical hiccups (frame-rate and textures pop-in), and as per usual with every naughty dog game, and what irritates me the most - Big difficulty spike right at the end...when I'm most involved in the story and want to see what happens next I end up dying over and over again...maybe it's just me but it happened to me in all of their games this gen...

Still, fantastic experience. The atmosphere is one of the most well realized in any game I've played, and the tension of many encounters is absolutely insane.

Really amazing and very happy I bought it day one to play it :)

No you're right, it's practically a Naughty Dog staple that the last 1-2 hours of their games get a massive difficulty spike. Granted I haven't reached that point here (only at 70%) but all three uncharted games were like that. Jak series too I think.

Personally it's not one of the best games of the generation, but one of the best games of all time.

Lol, wtf? That's some high praise. I'm 3 hours in and liking it but really looking forward to hitting that middle part of the game that people are talking about.

Pranay

Lol, wtf? That's some high praise. I'm 3 hours in and liking it but really looking forward to hitting that middle part of the game that people are talking about.

Yeah tbh the game was good at the start and i was a bit like "the game isnt that great" but man it does get better.

Are you able to enhance the ---end of game weapon spoiler----
assault rifle? I never had an empty weapon slot open when I got this and there are no work benches after you get this.

Without spoilers: is this game THAT good as people are saying? I'm willing to buy it

Between everyone's comments here and all the professional reviews what else do you want? Yes, the game is worth buying and enjoying. ND made a game that is as emotionally stirring in its storytelling as any other media could hope to accomplish. The pacing is great, and the gameplay is solid. Really, what other confirmation you need?

Blinck

I see some talking of NEW GAME + ? Didn't know this existed in TLOU

How does this work exactly? What carries over and what difficulties can I play it in?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Story/character wise, yes. The best single player narrative I've played, period.
Gameplay wise: Some genuine horror moments. The game conditions you to be afraid of combat, because you are very likely to lose.
Technical: Some glitches. Cutscenes bluescreening(never seen that before). Nothing else I've noticed really.

Nothing, absolutely nothing we've been shown indicates just how different and good this game gets around the last 3rd of the game.

Neil Druckman has to be the best writer in this medium for this generation.

I just realized that this game completely killed all the hype I had for Beyond. Not only does the protagonist look like Ellie, I can almost guarantee you that the gameplay will not be as fun as The Last of Us.
It shouldn't. The games are not even remotely comparable. By that definition your hype for any game that doesn't play as good as TLOU is killed, which would be dumb.

Pranay

Story/character wise, yes. The best single player narrative I've played, period.
Gameplay wise: Some genuine horror moments. The game conditions you to be afraid of combat, because you are very likely to lose.
Technical: Some glitches. Cutscenes bluescreening(never seen that before). Nothing else I've noticed really.

Nothing, absolutely nothing we've been shown indicates just how different and good this game gets around the last 3rd of the game.

Neil Druckman has to be the best writer in this medium for this generation.

Amy Henning and Niel Druckman in the same studio is a bliss

How the hell can I play stealthy when Bill takes it upon himself to fire shotguns are every group of Infected we come across
especially in the school?

Also have people in here played Tomb Raider 2013? I'm feeling a lot of parallels with the vulnerability / stealth, but I personally think TR looked and played a little better (also did a better job of consistency and maintaining immersion).

Hachimaki

6 hours in and a lot of TLoU stresses me out, but in a good way. I love the tension when an enemy discovers me or I'm on the run.

For me, sections of the game are rather amazingly detailed and sometimes find myself slowly panning the camera to take in the stunning views. Other parts are not exactly on the same level, but in general TLoU has been great so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*shrug* In the simplest terms, it's true. It's not just one of the best games of the generation but a perfect of example of one of the games that defines a generation, and more specifically defines the end of one. And while many games on that list often wind up in consideration for "one of the best games of all time territory," this one certainly makes a strong case. At the very least, it's a precedent-setter in a variety of areas; the characters, natural storytelling, voice acting, production values, and sound design will all be referenced in comparison to future games for quite some time.

A hell of a swan song for the PS3.

Sean

Banned
I see some talking of NEW GAME + ? Didn't know this existed in TLOU

How does this work exactly? What carries over and what difficulties can I play it in?

Everything carries over - weapon upgrades, upgrades to Joel, pills, tools, etc.

You can only do New Game + on the same difficulty that you played through it originally. So if you beat it on Normal you can't do New Game+ on Hard.

Blinck

How the hell can I play stealthy when Bill takes it upon himself to fire shotguns are every group of Infected we come across

Also have people in here played Tomb Raider 2013? I'm feeling a lot of parallels with the vulnerability / stealth, but I personally think TR looked and played a little better (also did a better job of consistency and maintaining immersion).

Jesus man... I know we all have different tastes...but comparing this to Tomb Raider 2013 is an insult to Naughty Dog.
Also the gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with TR gamaplay.

EDIT:

Everything carries over - weapon upgrades, upgrades to Joel, pills, tools, etc.

You can only do New Game + on the same difficulty that you played through it originally. So if you beat it on Normal you can't do New Game+ on Hard.

Allright thank you :) !!

At the very least, it's a precedent-setter in a variety of areas; the characters, natural storytelling, voice acting, production values, and sound design will all be referenced in comparison to future games for quite some time.

A hell of a swan song for the PS3.

And the game part?

Not that I dislike the game, mind you. The shooting is some of the most intense in any third person shooter, but I don't think it's as incredible as the art/production stuff.

aganu

Without spoiling the game, what difficulty should I start with? I like some challenge in 1st playthrough but not the frustrating type.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beat it. Good game but of course the scores are way overblown. Everything the game does it does for presentations sake, which is fine. The melee is mash square, basically. The stealth is as bare bones as it gets. The fire fights are pretty nice, especially when you get to some of the better arenas. I like Joel ad Ellie but they aren't generation defining characters or anything. The best thing this game does is keeping everything slow. It has a somber pace and it works out very well for it.

ThisOne

Without spoiling the game, what difficulty should I start with? I like some challenge but not the frustrating type.

I would suggest Hard. I'm having a lot of fun with it and there is essentially no penalty for dying (since you just respawn with the same gear you had at the beginning of the encounter).

I felt zero tension in Tomb Raider so no can't agree. It was incredibly easy to just mow through enemies in that game and just ignore stealth. TR is a prime example of how shitty stealth games turned these days. Last of Us actually has much more tension and discourages combat, your very vulnerable and limited to resources around you. Stealth is primary way you pay Last of Us, while Tomb Raider was really just a third person shooter with optional stealth.

Sullichin

Tomb Raider did not engage me after a couple of hours. I definitely plan on giving it another chance, and I'd say I prefer how the bow handles in Tomb Raider to the bow in TLOU, but TLOU just feels more unique and ambitious in every way. And even though I'm playing TR maxed out on PC at 1080p, I still think TLOU looks nicer.

cameron

Have to disagree with you there. I like the mechanics and level design of TR for what it is, and it has a lot of potential in a sequel, but it is a complete joke compared to TLoU in terms of everything.

Blinck

Without spoiling the game, what difficulty should I start with? I like some challenge in 1st playthrough but not the frustrating type.

I started on normal and turned it to Hard a few hours in. Hard is a very balanced difficulty IMO.

However I will warn you that at about 95% of the game I turned it down to normal again because it was getting frustrated.

But other than that Hard was really good. I usually play everything on normal, btw.

Well I jumped straight in with Hard difficulty, Listen Mode off. I don't usually do that, but here it makes the game that much more intense

aganu

I would suggest Hard. I'm having a lot of fun with it and there is essentially no penalty for dying (since you just respawn with the same gear you had at the beginning of the encounter).

I started on normal and turned it to Hard a few hours in. Hard is a very balanced difficulty IMO.

However I will warn you that at about 95% of the game I turned it down to normal again because it was getting frustrated.

But other than that Hard was really good. I usually play everything on normal, btw.

Well I jumped straight in with Hard difficulty, Listen Mode off. I don't usually do that, but here it makes the game that much more intense
Cheers guys! Hard it is then! :)

Dresden

Finished.

I have a bag of complaints but the way it comes together is pretty astounding. Everything from the latter half of
Fall
to the end of
Winter
is incredible.

Good game.

Emwitus

Normal with an option to use "listen" mode. I actually had to switch to easy half way through the game and used listen mode constantly (thank you naughty dog for including this option). I consider myself a casual gamer (growing out of it).

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Only a few hours in, but I am really disliking what I've experienced with regards to the combat so far. Although the game keeps telling me I can do each encounter any way I want, the way in which enemies swarm once alerted to your presence seems to promote stealth. Sadly, the AI doesn't seem all that suited for a stealth game. I feel like their reactions are completely inconsistent. Missing me completely when I am right next to them, but spotting me all the way across a level because I moved a little too far back from a window. Additionally, your companions seem to constantly break any tension the stealth mechanics build up because they are always running right in front of the enemies noses without ever alerting them of our presence. It's a kinda weird jarring feeling, that really hurts the otherwise nice build of tension the game has going on.

It's hard because I am loving every other aspect of this game, but each enemy encounter has been a chore so far, and I am not excited for it to continue like that.

Vire

Saying Tomb Raider is better is like saying Domino's Pizza is better than your local Italian bakery homemade pizza.

Just... get out.

Neil Druckmann's script really impresses me with how great his dialog was. Has a very terse, natural and believable flow, very distinct character voices. Combination of some world class voice acting/mo-cap animation/Gustavo's music, and their increased proficiency at "active cinematic" moments and world design, it's ND's most effective feat of storytelling yet.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game doesnt do a good job sometime of telling you what the heck you need to do. How do you beat
the hummer machine gun?

Blinck

Only a few hours in, but I am really disliking what I've experienced with regards to the combat so far. Although the game keeps telling me I can do each encounter any way I want, the way in which enemies swarm once alerted to your presence seems to promote stealth. Sadly, the AI doesn't seem all that suited for a stealth game. I feel like their reactions are completely inconsistent. Missing me completely when I am right next to them, but spotting me all the way across a level because I moved a little too far back from a window. Additionally, your companions seem to constantly break any tension the stealth mechanics build up because they are always running right in front of the enemies noses without ever alerting them of our presence. It's a kinda weird jarring feeling, that really hurts the otherwise nice build of tension the game has going on.

It's hard because I am loving every other aspect of this game, but each enemy encounter has been a chore so far, and I am not excited for it to continue like that.

I felt exactly the same way at the start. When I saw my companions running in front of enemies and them completely ignoring them was really fucking weird.

This however won't happen for the most part of the game so keep it up :)

But yes, overall the A.I. is a bit dumb. But most of the combat scenarios work really well, specially with infected. The start is definitely the worst part when it comes to this, IMO.

What are you up to? About 40,50% in, the areas open way up and you'll have more weapons and be able to craft more items. Meaning more options and many more ways to flank, sneak, and plan your attacks

Jesus man... I know we all have different tastes...but comparing this to Tomb Raider 2013 is an insult to Naughty Dog.
Also the gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with TR gamaplay.

EDIT:

Allright thank you :) !!

I'm team "Tomb Raider was phenomenal" so I disagree. You had to be stealthy, you felt truly helpless, it was just you and your bow. I don't really feel helpless in this game, and I should, they're zombies. But the immersion constantly breaks from my idiot NPC partners going guns blazing, AI inconsistency and the settings looking drab and repetive. Look at the cars in this game. They look like octagonal and dated.

Also I'm never running out of supplies, and the story has stopped progressing. The plot is there, but the story hasn't developed in a while.

Yea seen it happen too, the AI seems to be very lenient on companion AI spotting, though the enemies do at times notice your companion if they are out in the open, and they initiate combat. Assume it was just way too hard to get the companion AI to be properly stealthy so they had no choice to but give your companions some big bonus to being spotted. Have had several instances of the companions though screwing me over by turning a wrong corner right into a bad guy starting a fight.

Top Bottom