• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Vire

This game doesnt do a good job sometime of telling you what the heck you need to do. How do you beat
the hummer machine gun?

Naughty Dog:

Make entirely linear, very narrow one option path - get criticized for being overly linear.

Make more open ended game with less hand handholding - get criticized because player doesn't know what to do.

:(

Blinck

This game doesnt do a good job sometime of telling you what the heck you need to do. How do you beat
the hummer machine gun?

Depends on which sequence you are on, but if you are in the part where the hummer is in the middle of the street and you are inside a house, then you need to cross to the other side without the Hummer seeing you ( just wait for the flashlight to move into another direction). Keep playing, that part is awesome :)

baekshi

Banned
The trophies are glitchy - they don't pop up sometimes and sometimes way later. The collectables through one playthrough? and does ND know this? What the fuck. And the difficulty trophies not stacking? WHAT? That's All I Got trophy not working?

Vire

The trophies are glitchy - they don't pop up sometimes and sometimes way later. The collectables through one playthrough? and does ND know this? What the fuck. And the difficulty trophies not stacking? WHAT? That's All I Got trophy not working?

Huh?...

I got the Easy difficulty trophy after beating it on Normal.

Blinck

I only got 3 trophies popping up, 2 of them at the end for the difficulty trophies ( they do stack).

I didn't check the trophies yet though, since I really don't care about them, but yeah it seems glitchy since only 1 popped the whole game.
I was happy with this though, hate that fucking "pling"...breaks the immersion for me.

Do the comics amount to anything outside of just another collectible?

The firefly pendants are in the "who gives a shit" territory for me, but if Ellie likes the comics I hope there's some acknowledgment in the game.

Samoon

Neo Member
How I am playing The Last of Us :D

qSCk1RK.jpg

4zFNven.jpg

void666

Banned
Just had a bug with Ellie. She got stuck somewhere and i kept going. It was sad to see the old man taking when no one was around.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Does anyone else find the ridiculous weapon breaking and inability to carry all the ammo you find in a survivor game immersion breakingly awful?

If I was trying to survive in a world like that I would jam bullets up my asshole if I needed a place to carry them that badly. This aspect of the game does not add the tension they are looking for. It's obnoxious. Pipes don't break after hitting someone with them and shivs should be reparable if they are made from half a pair of steel scissors.

Pranay

Do the comics amount to anything outside of just another collectible?

The firefly pendants are in the "who gives a shit" territory for me, but if Ellie likes the comics I hope there's some game acknowledgment in the game.

a lot of collectables leads to interaction and knowing more abt the world

libregkd

Huh?...

I got the Easy difficulty trophy after beating it on Normal.
It is right though that the trophy are glitchy. Beat the game on Hard and the Hard and Normal difficulty unlocked but not easy. Replay the very last segment again and go through the credits unlocked the glitched trophy though.

Saying that, Last of Us may be my favorite game from Naughty Dog. Its certainly better than the Uncharted series they did this generation (Not that they are bad games at all, love them as well) and it finally knocked off Crash 3 as my all-time favorite game from them. Game is just really damn good.

s-bojan

Banned
Anyone else had problem with
Ellie killing way too many enemies with ease? A lot of people were complaining about Lara in Tomb Raider, but this was way worse.

cameron

Naughty Dog:

Make entirely linear, very narrow one option path - get criticized for being overly linear.

Make more open ended game with less hand handholding - get criticized because player doesn't know what to do.

:(

It really is tough to design non super linear levels for everyone. One interesting touch was the theme of yellow that appears in whatever "transition" path between areas. Like yellow police tape, or yellow paint on concrete, yellow pipes, etc. So, if you're lost, try to look for the colour yellow.

I also think the frequent checkpoints was a concession to make the game more friendly to the masses.

Ten hours in the game and this is already one of my faves game of this gen.

BTW I think something is wrong with my game...

Ten hours and not a SINGLE trophy has poped up. I'm playing digital. Did this happened to any of you guys?

So amazed by this game. Over 80% through the game and just wow. As of now, probably my favorite game this gen.
How many hours you've been playing? I'm about 63% after 9 hours 45 minutes. At the
dam with Tommy

Ten hours and not a SINGLE trophy has poped up. I'm playing digital. Did this happened to any of you guys?
What part/percentage you at?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I felt exactly the same way at the start. When I saw my companions running in front of enemies and them completely ignoring them was really fucking weird.

This however won't happen for the most part of the game so keep it up :)

But yes, overall the A.I. is a bit dumb. But most of the combat scenarios work really well, specially with infected. The start is definitely the worst part when it comes to this, IMO.

Good to know. I'll keep at it. Like I said, literally everything about this game is completely up my alley, but combat is a big part of the game and if it doesn't get better it will make me sad that I can't enjoy the full package.

StuBurns

Banned

You'll get your first when you craft whatever you haven't so far.

I'm team "Tomb Raider was phenomenal" so I disagree. You had to be stealthy, you felt truly helpless, it was just you and your bow. I don't really feel helpless in this game, and I should, they're zombies.

I can't agree with this at all. Tomb Raider not only feeds you a hell of a lot more ammo, but movement is a lot more fluid and the game even gives you special evasive moves. It might be the difficulty you're playing at, I've beaten both games on hard.

CrazyDude

I hated
the part in the hotel basement. I was running around from that big bomber guy and I kept expecting him to pop up in front of me and kill me. The whole place freaked me out, didn't help I was playing in the middle of the night with no light on.

iNvid02

yeah, i think i got 2 in total. after looking at the list its obvious they dont want to shower you with rewards

void666

Banned
Anyone else had problem with
Ellie killing way too many enemies with ease? A lot of people were complaining about Lara in Tomb Raider, but this was way worse.

Yeah, it made think about
Lara Croft. Ellie, the teenage mass murderer. I was expecting some of the enemies to say something like "she's just a kid for christ sake!".

I can't agree with this at all. Tomb Raider not only feeds you a hell of a lot more ammo, you also have all sorts of maneuvers (run n' gun, blindfire, special evasive moves) in that game that you make feel like a powerhouse and movement is generally just easier. It might be the difficulty you're playing at, I've beaten both games on hard.

Ha, I agree. After awhile I felt bad for the dudes coming up against Lara. She becomes a human meat grinder towards the end

Bladenic

Wellllllp, guessing shit's about to get real since I just got a
flamethrower

It's amazing. Basically a one hit kill. Love it.

Also on the subject of Tomb Raider, I really liked that game too. However I'm pretty sure TLoU is what Tomb Raider was trying or rather was supposed to be. Like maybe when the game featured supernatural creatures and a more survival horror concept before they decided to rope in the typical TPS crowd. There was 0 survival to be had in TR, at least a little ways into the game.

Vire

yeah, i think i got 2 in total. after looking at the list its obvious they dont want to shower you with rewards

Naughty Dog already commented on this I think, it was done intentionally because they didn't want the "bing" popping up and breaking the immersion.

It sounds like if they had the decision, this game wouldn't have trophies at all.

libregkd

Hah, that's normal. First play through I only got 4 trophies, 3 for being the game complete/difficulty levels. I found it rather pleasant not having the notifications while playing the game tbh.

CrazyDude

I'm team "Tomb Raider was phenomenal" so I disagree. You had to be stealthy, you felt truly helpless, it was just you and your bow. I don't really feel helpless in this game, and I should, they're zombies. But the immersion constantly breaks from my idiot NPC partners going guns blazing, AI inconsistency and the settings looking drab and repetive. Look at the cars in this game. They look like octagonal and dated.

Also I'm never running out of supplies, and the story has stopped progressing. The plot is there, but the story hasn't developed in a while.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Tomb raider felt way overpowered, I never really felt like I was helpless.

Pranay

Once you play ellie in the winter , you can never even think of shooting or killing the enemies , you just want to avoid them

Read Frank's note a little while ago...damn. that's some tough love (or ugly hatred).

Ha, I agree. After awhile I felt bad for the dudes coming up against Lara. She becomes a human meat grinder towards the end

I'm at a point in TLOU where I'm shotgunning every runner and clicker that comes at me with ease, and it also helps that I have that Jean Grey ability to see through walls/floors/buildings to know where any zombies are. Not saying TR is undoubtedly better, just saying I had more fun with it/had more thrills/thought gameplay was designed a bit better. Don't want to derail this thread though!

Bladenic

Naughty Dog already commented on this I think, it was done intentionally because they didn't want the "bing" popping up and breaking the immersion.

It sounds like if they had the decision, this game wouldn't have trophies at all.

Maybe that's why they turned around and made it so you require 4 minimum play throughs to get the Platinum, plus some multiplayer. Bastards. Good thing I stopped being a Platinum whore (well by my standards anyway).

I-hate-u

Yeah, it made think about
Lara Croft. Ellie, the teenage mass murderer. I was expecting some of the enemies to say something like "she's just a kid for christ sake!".

Ellie grew up in a hostile environment and was raised by the Fireflies. I am sure she was well accustomed to killing and seeing people killed before she met Joel and Tess.

Also,if you finished the game,
you know that Henry said that they don't spare children.

Top Bottom