• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

antitrop

Think I'm going to call it a night at 6 1/2 hours, 42% completion at the
Pittsburgh Book Store

Damn, did this game ever get better.

When you replay chapters, can you select where you start?
For example, the
University
is split into two sections:
Go Big Horns
and
Science Lab

Also when you replay, does it reset your progress from that chapter? And what supplies /upgrades do you have?

Mupod

I've got my PS3's optical out going into a Fii0 E17/E09K and modded sennheiser HD555s with the volume cranked way up. Those bullet sounds. Those fucking bullet sounds GOD DAMN.

antitrop

Eh, stereo headphones are much better than VSS headphones in my experience.
I'm using a Razer Carcharias, normally my PC headset, plugged into my 5.1 box with an adapter. Sounds amazing.

Probably not nearly as amazing as this Pulse shit everyone has been mentioning in this thread, though.

nib95

Banned
Fucking hell I love this game. Slow start, but the last few segments have just been amazing. Great characters, lots of tense moments, amazing music, great character building etc.
Just done the part where the car crashes and the hoodlums all attack you and Ellie. My God I've never run so fast towards an enemy with utter rage. My desire to protect Ellie was paramount. Kind of nice facing humans again now after all the infected. Popping headshots is too satisfying.

Mupod

Anyone come across a good weapon upgrade guide? really don't want to shoot myself in the foot on this one.

honestly just get the cheap upgrades for everything. Weapons have individualized ammo, and ammo is almost always tight. You also can't carry very much, so you'll be using everything.

Most important upgrades are the holsters, though. Armor piercing is great too (for the weapons that have it) but I'm not sure what the second level does for you.

dreamfall

Have played a bit - after 7ish hours, I'm at 42%. The game is so beautiful and really unnerving. I loved the last bit I played running around
Lincoln High school

I also love that it feels like an adaptive stealth game- if I fuck up, it's hide and seek for survival. Every new location feels better than the last.

I'm taking it slowly, because at times it feels so haunting and exhausting. Color me impressed!

Clott

honestly just get the cheap upgrades for everything. Weapons have individualized ammo, and ammo is almost always tight. You also can't carry very much, so you'll be using everything.

Most important upgrades are the holsters, though. Armor piercing is great too (for the weapons that have it) but I'm not sure what the second level does for you.

Right, I got both holsters. I lean towards the shotty as my favorite weapon, but I know I can't pick one.

Raxus

yep the really expensive upgrades are naturally the best. Armor Piecing, holsters, power, scope I got tons of use out of.

As far as Joel upgrades. Shiv is an absolute must. Health and at least one in weapon sway so it is at least tolerable to aim.

antitrop

I don't feel uncomfortable saying this game has the greatest environmental attention to detail of any. Or at the very least it would be tied with the other greatests.

I feel like the "little details" that make The Last of Us so great are far more frequent and common than in, say, Bioshock Infinite.

7 hours in and the performance of Ellie already absolutely blows away Elizabeth, as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't nearly as huge on the characters and plot of Bioshock Infinite as most are, though. However, I didn't think she was going to be topped as companion character of the year. So that's something.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm giving up on MP until I finish the story.

My beginner's luck seems to have ran out. Dammit.

Mupod

Right, I got both holsters. I lean towards the shotty as my favorite weapon, but I know I can't pick one.

well what I do is I equip different weapons depending what I'm fighting. The shotgun is crap against humans, but unbelievably useful against infected. Likewise the pistols are great against humans (I find myself using human shields more often, easy two kills for two bullets) but it takes a ton of shots to bring down a clicker. I think of it in terms of 'I could have headshotted 4 helmetless assholes with that'.

so using this logic I upgrade accordingly. I don't find reload speed good against humans (I generally snipe them and hide) but it's pretty essential against infected.

yep the really expensive upgrades are naturally the best. Armor Piecing, holsters, power, scope I got tons of use out of.

As far as Joel upgrades. Shiv is an absolute must. Health and at least one in weapon sway so it is at least tolerable to aim.

weapon sway level 1 was so good I feel stupid not getting it earlier.

protip for health: upgrade it when you're low HP - it fills your bar too the max. Too bad RE4's weapon capacity trick didn't carry over too.

I heard shiv master level 2 doesn't work. I'll use my pills on something else until I know for sure.

I played the game with listening mode on, but I turned it off for that part.

I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Same, that would have totally felt like cheating. But the way that whole segment progressed, combined with
the fire spreading throughout the restaurant,
to its macabre end, was just so dark. I never expected this from the guys that made Crash, or Jak & Daxter.

Massive kudos to ND.

Overall i am still very impressed with just how long this game is. People must have DIED making it or some shit.

The amount of detail in the art, the variety and amount of encounters, the excellent animations, the AI...many a 12-15 hour working days making this one the last 3 years. Marriages were strained, hair was greyed, souls were crushed.

Quick question, will I still get the making of documentary if I buy the season pass? I'm confused what "day 1 bonus" means. Was it only for those who bought the pass day 1?

Mupod

The amount of detail in the art, the variety and amount of encounters, the excellent animations, the AI...many a 12-15 hour working days making this one the last 3 years. Marriages were strained, hair was greyed, souls were crushed.

I scour every environment not just to find loot, but because I'd feel bad if I didn't stop and appreciate everything.

I'm glad this game generally eschews the 'CMON HURRY UP JESUS CHRIST I AM SO IMPATIENT I NEED TO NAG THE PLAYER SO HE KNOWS WHERE TO GO' NPC convention in so many games these days.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I don't feel uncomfortable saying this game has the greatest environmental attention to detail of any. Or at the very least it would be tied with the other greatests.

I feel like the "little details" that make The Last of Us so great are far more frequent and common than in, say, Bioshock Infinite.

7 hours in and the performance of Ellie already absolutely blows away Elizabeth, as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't nearly as huge on the characters and plot of Bioshock Infinite as most are, though. However, I didn't think she was going to be topped as companion character of the year. So that's something.

Easily.

Vire

It's pretty incredible, there's entire rooms that could just blow by with tons of unique art assets. Specifically
I remember a point where you are talking to Henry and Sam and they are leading you through this building, and they don't stop, but there's so many rooms that you can just go in and explore and find new things.

The attention to detail is just staggering. Blows every other game I have ever played out of the water.

As you said, many sleepless nights were spent on this game and it shows.

Story question:
Did I miss something, or how does Noel and Ellie know where to go at all? Suddenly they were just looking for a car, and then when I got it they seemed to know where to go, and now I'm in Pittsburgh, but I don't remember them finding any specific info on where exactly he's taking her.

Not sure if this was answered but

They don't know where to go, but Joel's brother used to be with the fireflies so they decide to see if he knows. Joel knows where Tommy lives but needs a car to get there. Pittsburg is along the way but they get sidetracked by the hunters and the truck gets thrashed.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
For the last five or so years, I usually don't play games for more than 4-5 hours before I get bored and stop playing. I have to force myself to stop playing this so I can get some sleep. So good!

antitrop

99% of my gaming was done on PC or 360 this generation, but this game makes my purchase of the console 6 1/2 years ago completely worth it.

Hopefully something like that will happen for my fucking Vita.

I only have two regrets about this game.

1) that they describe clickers as having echolocation. If they actually did, I wouldn't be able to stand in front of them because they'd "see" me, regardless how slow I was moving.

2) this isn't on a ps4

Vire

1) that they describe clickers as having echolocation. If they actually did, I wouldn't be able to stand in front of them because they'd "see" me, regardless how slow I was moving.

2) this isn't on a ps4

:lol, best nitpick ever.

DoomGyver

2) this isn't on a ps4

You know I didn't catch that but I remember reading the echolocation tip, you probably just blew someones mind at Naughty Dog. :haha

teekun

I thought they actually covered that in the game by saying if you hear them clicking that means there's trouble and they're actively looking for you. They click differently when they're idling or just mindlessly roaming around unaware.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I would like to echo the sentiments about the attention to detail this game has. I've never seen so many houses and rooms that look like they actually had a person living in them before it was abandoned.

I've seen a lot of games try, but none reached this level of detail. The Last of us is a game in a class of it's own right now in that regard.

I thought they actually covered that in the game by saying if you hear them clicking that means there's trouble and they're actively looking for you. They click differently when they're idling or just mindlessly roaming around unaware.

I thought so too, but I never really saw that happen. They always seemed to be clicking.

:lol, best nitpick ever.

They even tell you to hide behind stuff in the dialog but best I could tell it never really came into play.

Top Bottom