• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Neiteio

I only have two regrets about this game.

1) that they describe clickers as having echolocation. If they actually did, I wouldn't be able to stand in front of them because they'd "see" me, regardless how slow I was moving.

2) this isn't on a ps4
Regarding echolocation, it may be that clickers only recognize prey if it's moving and thus alive. Perhaps they wouldn't identify human prey based on human shape alone.

Grisby

Think I'm about to hit Winter here in a bit. Damn, man this game is good.

Want to get finished so I can check out the multiplayer. Ucharted's took me by surprise on how good it was and I'm hoping this does the same.

One last note is that Troy Baker is doing a great job. Way better than Booker from Bioshock (although that dude didn't really have that much of a personality). Ashley Johnson is fantastic too and apparently the last thing I saw her in was Dollhouse with What Woman Want before that.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
7 hours in and the performance of Ellie already absolutely blows away Elizabeth, as far as I'm concerned.
I agree completely. And I LIKED Infinite a lot, as well as Elizabeth. I thought she was a pretty good companion.

But Ellie is on another level in terms of... well, absolutely everything. I think she may be my favorite female video game character of all time too. Sorry The Boss, you had a damn good run :(

Would explain why they go chasing after bricks and bottles. Ha ha, dummies.

Speaking of dummies. One of the most hilarious AI moments was fighting a human that knew exactly where I was. He was maybe 20 feet away. My cousin sarcastically suggested, "throw a brick, maybe It'll distract him." So I did and then rushed him before the brick had landed. His sights were trained on me. The brick cracked behind him. He goes "Huh?" and spun around as if I would have magically flanked him. He started to spin back to face me but I already was beating his face in with a plank of wood.

My cousin and I couldn't stop laughing that our insane plan actually worked.

Vire

Think I'm about to hit Winter here in a bit. Damn, man this game is good.

Want to get finished so I can check out the multiplayer. Ucharted's took me by surprise on how good it was and I'm hoping this does the same.

One last note is that Troy Baker is doing a great job. Way better than Booker from Bioshock (although that dude didn't really have that much of a personality). Ashley Johnson is fantastic too and apparently the last thing I saw her in was Dollhouse with What Woman Want before that.

To be fair to Troy, the way Booker was written was very ambiguous and vague. The character didn't have much personality.

He was kind of a blank slate, something that Irrational and all other first person shooter creators are infatuated with.

Why I don't know.

But Half Life 3 having a mute Gordon just won't work in 2015.

To be fair to Troy, the way Booker was written was very ambiguous and vague. The character didn't have much personality.

He was kind of a blank slate, something that Irrational and all other first person shooter creators are infatuated with.

Why I don't know.

Booker has a sort of personality though. He said numerous things that, were I there doing those things, I never would have. i.e. "comstock, the revolution . . . they're both the same" but they clearly weren't. He just doesn't have a particularly good one.

Actually, he's probably more of a mouthpiece for the devs so we knew their stance.

All things being equal, I'd rather he be mute like Gordon.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this game up today from GameStop on an impulse. Started playing at around 7 and I'm only now getting off at 11:45. The game is amazing so far, and everything from the graphics to the gunplay to the acting is blowing me away. However, I do have one thing to say to the developers...

FUCK CLICKERS. I don't mean this in a cute, "OMG Clickers are terrifying I don't want to fight them aaahhh!!" No, I mean it in a "fuck whoever thought putting one-hit kill enemies into this game was a good idea" kinda way. There has not been a single Clicker encounter that I have enjoyed. Not one. I keep dying, and restarting, and dying, and restarting, and dying, and restarting, until I want to throw my controller through the damn TV.

At the rate the game is going, it could quite possibly be a 10 for me if not for this retarded enemy type. For reference I just met
Bill
, so that whole section you have to go through is the thing that was giving me fits.

Sheroking

I'm loving the narrative and the gameplay has opened wonderfully, but I gotta say, I have a problem with the pretentiousness around this game:

So here am I, playing as a 14 year old girl who successfully kills 30 cannibal dudes with her perfect long distance aim with a hunting rifle. Now I'm back to Joel, and he's got a flame thrower, arrows, a shotgun, a rifle, a sawed-off shotgun, a pistol, and a revolver all strapped to his back/thigh - which makes him look a cartoon in this environment. I've just gone through three or four forced combat situations.

This is not much different than Uncharted. This is not much different than most good times of this type. More focus on stealth and a better story. That's it.

I agree completely. And I LIKED Infinite a lot, as well as Elizabeth. I thought she was a pretty good companion.

But Ellie is on another level in terms of... well, absolutely everything. I think she may be my favorite female video game character of all time too. Sorry The Boss, you had a damn good run :(

I gotta say... I disagree so much. She's constantly running around in front of clickers and bad guys, which is only not a problem because they specifically made it so they can't see her. They made a shitty design choice because their AI wasn't good enough to do it right. She's bumping into me, standing in my way at doors I want to go back into.... She's standard. She has none of cool "go look at things" that Elizabeth had, which breathed so much life in BioShock Infinite, only scripted stuff.

Wonderfully written character... a healthy dose behind Elizabeth and Alyx as an AI partner IMO.

antitrop

FUCK CLICKERS. I don't mean this in a cute, "OMG Clickers are terrifying I don't want to fight them aaahhh!!" No, I mean it in a "fuck whoever thought putting one-hit kill enemies into this game was a good idea" kinda way. There has not been a single Clicker encounter that I have enjoyed. Not one. I keep dying, and restarting, and dying, and restarting, and dying, and restarting, until I want to throw my controller through the damn TV.

Clickers stopped being quite so bad once you get the Shotgun and upgrade the Shiv to two uses per.

But at the beginning... yeah... so many restarts trying to avoid them.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finally picking this up tomorrow... can't believe I didn't grab it day 1, but oh well... so stoked, will be hard to get to sleep tonight!

Facism

Well, seeing as i finished this today, off to the spoiler thread!

I didn't think Uncharted 2 could of been topped but FUCKING HELL this game.

The combat is brilliant. Everything has weight, purpose and consequence. So many options, all brutal. I gather i'm going to find all TPS combat from here on shallow and boring.

Picked this game up today from GameStop on an impulse. Started playing at around 7 and I'm only now getting off at 11:45. The game is amazing so far, and everything from the graphics to the gunplay to the acting is blowing me away. However, I do have one thing to say to the developers...

At the rate the game is going, it could quite possibly be a 10 for me if not for this retarded enemy type. For reference I just met
Bill
, so that whole section you have to go through is the thing that was giving me fits.

Once you get the swing of things, clickers become much easier to deal with. It would have been nice if they were a two-hit kill on easy/normal though, just to help players a bit. But on my replay I've gotten through the sequences that must have caused me 10 restarts in a single try.

First best thing is to just stealth through it (you have to be really light on the joystick to make sure they don't hear you. Second best trick is to throw a brick at them, charge and melee them. You can do this even if you just have fists, though it does take a bit longer to kill them.

Bricks are your friend

Bill

is it really so hard for you to sneak up behind the clicker, grab and then shiv them? they're BLIND for pete's sake! they can even be taken down with melee weapons if you keep your distance.

and having one hit kill enemies is a great idea for a survival game. it keep the tension high.

Vire

I gotta say... I disagree so much. She's constantly running around in front of clickers and bad guys, which is only not a problem because they specifically made it so they can't see her. They made a shitty design choice because their AI wasn't good enough to do it right. She's bumping into me, standing in my way at doors I want to go back into.... She's standard. She has none of cool "go look at things" that Elizabeth had, which breathed so much life in BioShock Infinite, only scripted stuff.

Wonderfully written character... a healthy dose behind Elizabeth and Alyx as an AI partner IMO.

And yet she had none of the extremely gamey things about Elizabeth.

Having to use Elizabeth to open locks every single time, her flipping coins to you every 5-10 minutes...

Infinite isn't really a stealth game, so her AI wasn't put to the test like it is in The Last of Us. I won't get into the point of her as a character.

Grisby

Why I don't know.

I know the reasons and Troy did a good job in Infinite. But yeah, by design he has much more to do with Joel.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
is it really so hard for you to sneak up behind the clicker, grab and then shiv them? they're BLIND for pete's sake! they can even be taken down with melee weapons if you keep your distance.

and having one hit kill enemies is a great idea for a survival game. it keep the tension high.

I don't have more than two shivs in any given encounter, and there are always more than two Clickers. That is what is annoying me.

Plus that Clicker near the beginning of the game that they place near the ladder, and I obviously used my shivs against the other Clickers because I didn't think there would be a Clicker guarding the exit. Screw that guy.

Vire

I don't have more than two shivs in any given encounter, and there are always more than two Clickers. That is what is annoying me.

Plus that Clicker near the beginning of the game that they place near the ladder, and I obviously used my shivs against the other Clickers because I didn't think there would be a Clicker guarding the exit. Screw that guy.

Believe it or not, the section with Bill has more Clickers than nearly every part of the game.

So yeah, I understand the frustration. It gets easier though.

Facism

I never once felt Clickers were cheap. I assumed they would be, pre-release, but playing the game? Nope. If I get caught by one it's because i done fucked up and was playing like a scrub.

They're a hopeless, tense and deadly enemy, but one that becomes more and more manageable as you figure out the quirks of the combat.

The stalkers are the real cunts. Was funny to see one run from me when i pulled my shotgun on her.

Sheroking

And yet she had none of the extremely gamey things about Elizabeth.

Having to use Elizabeth to open locks every single time, her flipping coins to you every 5-10 minutes...

Infinite isn't really a stealth game, so her AI wasn't put to the test like it is in The Last of Us. I won't get into the point of her as a character.

She absolutely has the equivalent of opening locks every time. How many times have I given her a boost or pushed on a pallet through water to get her to open something for me?

It's actually way more annoying and lazy than 5 seconds to pick a lock.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Clickers have been no big deal to me at all. Just throw stuff to clear a path. When you get farther, they group up and are ripe for a molotov.

She absolutely has the equivalent of opening locks every time. How many times have I given her a boost or pushed on a pallet through water to get her to open something for me?

Traversal aspects like that atleast feel more natural in the context of the game.

Why on earth elizabeth pointed out where lockpicks were so that you as booker would pick them up just to apparently give back to her to open the doors made no sense.

Vire

That was done to mask loading times, just like the mash the triangle button in the Uncharted games to open a door, not because they were trying to get you "closer" or form a greater bond with Ellie.

Ken specifically talked about the reasoning why they did that with Elizabeth.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Believe it or not, the section with Bill has more Clickers than nearly every part of the game.

So yeah, I understand the frustration. It gets easier though.

Well now that I have the bow I'm hoping it'll get easier, since I took out a Clicker earlier with one arrow to the head. Hopefully my frustration will subside in the future.

I mean I see what they were going for with the Clickers, but having more than one or two in an area can devolve into an exercise in trial and error.

Chris R

Just finished it, game was really good but I wouldn't call it a 10/10. I was really bummed that (END OF GAME SPOILERS)
There were no fighting segments where you were dealing with humans and infected at the same time. Really would have liked to play them off each other while slinking on by with little to no conflict on my part. The combat also seemed to get worse the more well equipped you became. The whole hospital level would have been fun to sneak around in but instead I had to gun and blast my way through everyone.

Still a whole bunch of fun though, can't believe how good this game can look some times (and man does it look ROUGH in other places). What a way to "end" the PS3 and I can't wait to see what ND is working on for the PS4.

teekun

I thought so too, but I never really saw that happen. They always seemed to be clicking.

I'll have to pay more attention next time I play but they definitely get louder and click more frequently when a noise sets them off. Could just be the difference between them clicking just enough to not bump into objects versus clicking fast and loud so they can notice moving objects.

In plenty of cases you don't even have to worry about killing them. Just take out runners silently and sneak past the Clickers.

I only have two regrets about this game.

1) that they describe clickers as having echolocation. If they actually did, I wouldn't be able to stand in front of them because they'd "see" me, regardless how slow I was moving.

2) this isn't on a ps4

ehhh nah. Echolocation doesn't mean that they can identify a human. They guide themselves with echolocation and sound. that's why they startle when they hear sound. Echolocation is their navigation system since they're blind. They needed something lol.

I prefer to use the bow against them. Much quieter.

Although, if one is running at you, then yeah, the shotgun is probably the best weapon to use.

I too use the bow quite a bit, but yeah, nothing beats a shot gun blast to a clicker's torso ripping it in half from 3 ft out.

I'll have to pay more attention next time I play but they definitely get louder and click more frequently when a noise sets them off. Could just be the difference between them clicking just enough to not bump into objects versus clicking fast and loud so they can notice moving

That is a good point, they do get really riled up and click more . . . ferociously when you are heard. This requires some testing to see what's really going on . . . but a braver man that I can do it lol.

Clickers still scare the shit out of me.

ehhh nah. Echolocation doesn't mean that they can identify a human. They guide themselves with echolocation and sound. that's why they startle when they hear sound. Echolocation is their navigation system since they're blind. They needed something lol.

But that is how they see . . . they might not realize "this is human" if you were standing still as they entered a room, but surely they'd notice a human-shaped blob walking around in front of them. Otherwise evolution was not kind to them at all.

I liked Infinite alot too. But that has cartoon characters compared to this. Nothing wrong with that. But its like comparing Pocahontas with Dances with Wolves.

I played for about one hour and my PS3 crashed. Now all I get is a beep and a blinking red light when I try to turn my PS3 on.

It's long out of warranty and probably not worth the money to replace as it was going to be retired after I finished TLoU anyway.

Bummer.

Vire

I played for about one hour and my PS3 crashed. Now all I get is a beep and a blinking red light when I try to turn my PS3 on.

It's long out of warranty and probably not worth the money to replace as it was going to be retired after I finished TLoU anyway.

Bummer.

What a damn shame... :/

Have anyone else's you can borrow just for this one game?

FUCK CLICKERS.

Sure, a lot of times you'll simply be fucked when it comes to clickers, but if you stealth it slowly you can usually get by them. In combat + runners? Yeah, team fuck clickers.

Agreed. I think both of them feel gamey during combat by offering supplies, and Ellie's constant rafts/ladders is gamey if anything at all. We get it, you can't swim but you can float on wood. I understand the mechanic. Don't remind me that you can't swim again.

I genuinely found Elizabeth fascinating, I'm not there with Ellie yet.

Late game spoilers...

Well damn...that was the most scripted but totally felt unscripted moment I ever played in a game

Playing as Ellie, hunting the deer. At first I thought it would be scripted and I'd kill with a shot and there'd be a cutscene or something. Then I hit it and it bolted. Started following the blood trail.

Then I missed the next few. Now I'm thinking, cool, ok...seems unscripted, pretty fun, big open area

Then I go a little bit more and see the building and where the deer goes. Then the cutscene plays. And I realize that whole encounter was scripted to get you to that area.

That was just so perfectly crafted and scripted, that I never felt guided or led to a particular area. Very impressive. And really that whole part felt more authentic and realistic and tense than Tomb Raider ever did

Good game, I really disliked first few hours after the opening but I dealt with it. Water sections were the worst, it knocks down at least 2 points for being so shitty made. The combat got very stale towards the end but the story kept me going. The ending is very unsatisfying.

ending:
I hate the fact that they left the game ending open. I hope we don't see a sequel :/

TripleSun

68% in the game and I had to rip this from my fingers to work on my essay. The second half of the storyline kicked the first half's ass so fast. Ugh, the feeling of when you're out of some infected area and all you see if beautiful sun and trees. Oh the freedom.

Joeki11a

Banned
Ok I played the game enough to say it is being overhyped because it seems like a Walking Dead vibe game, one of the top shows on TV.

This doesnt feel like a game but a Journey, literally walk and walk, talk and talk, it all feels like you are just a camera man behind Joel.

Graphics look very bad in IQ dont be fooled by pics posted in still mode with modes turned on that aint the real game's look. However it is great in design/ details and lighting is the best on ps3. Story telling is Walking Dead quality, these are not gamey charactersThey are realistic characters, cant believe Joel isnt a real guy.

Just my views after 10 hours, ending is coming soon, this is not a Perfect 10/10 Game but 10/10 in story telling and presentation.

Top Bottom