• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Chris R

you can totally do that whole area in stealth, thats how i got through it

I tried it probably 10+ times and each time there were just gobs (as in 4+) of guys standing at the choke point to the next section. Tossing a brick or bottle to lure them out to allow me to pass didn't work either. I mean I would have tried even more but I was kinda rushing it to beat the game tonight because it was a rental.

When I buy the game in the future for another play through I'll try that again and see if I can't get it to work. Same goes for the other two sections I was sad that I had to fight through. I enjoyed having stealth be an option for so much of the game where it was barely an option in Uncharted.

rbanke

What are you having trouble with? What don't you get?

I keep getting seen by enemies and just get destroyed once that happens, I feel like I don't have a good grasp on how to take out anyone outside of grab + strangle/shiv. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I don't typically have trouble like this.

GRIP

Did anyone else have a problem with (this is about 75% into the game)
hunting the deer? Took me forever to finally get past that

Codeblew

For everyone asking how far you are into the game, all you have to do is look at the save file. It takes a couple of seconds but it will eventually show your percent complete.

Yerolo

I keep getting seen by enemies and just get destroyed once that happens, I feel like I don't have a good grasp on how to take out anyone outside of grab + strangle/shiv. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I don't typically have trouble like this.

If the root of your issues is trying to aim with a controller and sucking at it.....I can totally empathise with you. Stick with it or lower the difficulty as apparently you can turn on autoaim on easy

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wish the Clickers would attack the Runners if you threw a brick/bottle at the Runners head. I miss seeing enemies attacking each other in games.

right now I'm in the basement or something, its a very dark area(or at least I think it should be) with a lot clickers, it was one of the main gameplay demo areas shown before release. I think it was the first footage they used to show off the infected gameplay. First time the clickers were shown. The area occurs shortly after the GOW demo ended.

How dark is this area supposed to be? I'm starting to think that TLOU may be one of the games RGB full should be turned on for. The blacks just dont seem dark enough. Can anyone help me out here? I just want this game to look as the devs intended. The flashlight seems like something they put a lot of effort into, but with the way it looks like on my screen, there seems to be little use for it.

nib95

Banned
Holy FUCK. I don't think I've been so scared playing a game, at least not in a long long while. This fucking
hotel lobby water and spores and fucking clickers and giant clicker and a God knows what else all over the place. Been tip towing around like a little child scared for my life. Even turning my damn torch off in-case there are hidden runners about so I can't see shit either. Truly terrifying. The water and all the ripples surrounding your every movement just add to the terror. Soon as I turned on the damn generator all hell breaks loose!!

Yerolo

right now I'm in the basement or something, its a very dark area(or at least I think it should be) with a lot clickers, it was one of the main gameplay demo areas shown before release. I think it was the first footage they used to show off the infected gameplay. First time the clickers were shown. The area occurs shortly after the GOW demo ended.

How dark is this area supposed to be? I'm starting to think that TLOU may be one of the games RGB full should be turned on for. The blacks just dont seem dark enough. Can anyone help me out here? I just want this game to look as the devs intended. The flashlight seems like something they put a lot of effort into, but with the way it looks like on my screen, there seems to be little use for it.

Have you adjusted the brightness/gamma in the game's settings ?

Been playing for an hour or two and
I'm now trying to smuggle Ellie out of the city with Tess. Just found out Ellie's sort of resistant to the infection.

To be honest, I'm not feeling it. Is the AI supposed to blatantly ignore my companions?
Marlene
just walked right in front of a guy and even pushed him back a little and it just didn't register. She went right back into hiding also, shouldn't she have attacked? Also,
Tess just pushed me right into a searchlight twice while trying to take cover
. As far as graphics goes the game is beautiful, but the framerate drops and pop-in are pretty annoying =/

Have you adjusted the brightness/gamma in the game's settings ?

Yes. In my previous post I stated I have it turned all the way down. Maybe the devs didn't want the black to be that dark? How does the game look on everyone else's tv. One of the other things im trying to figure out here.

Vabor

Naughty Dog Community Strategist
Heads up on those not always getting trophies. It's fairly uncommon but some people are beating the game and not getting the completed trophy. We know about the issue and are looking into it. It seems to be solved for some when the sign entirely out of their PS3 and sign back in again. Playing offline for a bit sometimes works too. We are trying to pinpoint what's up and will update once the fix is in.

SRTtoZ

Your TV settings are off if you can see through the dark. I couldn't see shit in that area or many of the dark areas of the game without my flashlight.

Heads up on those not always getting trophies. It's fairly uncommon but some people are beating the game and not getting the completed trophy. We know about the issue and are looking into it. It seems to be solved for some when the sign entirely out of their PS3 and sign back in again. Playing offline for a bit sometimes works too. We are trying to pinpoint what's up and will update once the fix is in.

Just to clarify, I beat the game 30 minutes ago and did receive that trophy. I was signed into PSN.

Hale-XF11

Finished the game at roughly 17 hours on normal. Definitely my GOTY so far.

Multiplayer is actually really fun. Survivors is great. Ended up playing it for a good few hours. Too much fun. Kinda feel like I should get a headset now.

AniHawk

first thirty minutes were really neat. the rest of the game so far, not so much.

early game spoilers:

just left the capitol building. apparently i'm 27% of the way through. some of the stealth is well done, but it's been weird as enemy characters walk by friendly npcs without noticing them. oh and clickers can just go straight to hell. they use up all my goddamn shivs.

oh and probably the most unintentionally funny moment of the game so far is whenever you walk into an area with waist-high walls scattered about. god dammit naughty dog.

Just reach Fall. This game man this game T_T holy shit what a ride it has been so far. I love Naughty Dog so god damn much! They have created some of the best games this generation!

Tagg9

Multiplayer is actually really fun. Survivors is great. Ended up playing it for a good few hours. Too much fun. Kinda feel like I should get a headset now.

Is voice chat even enabled for the game? I hear people talking during the menus, but it seems that everyone is muted when the game starts. Hmm, or maybe it's just people on the other team.

The Lamp

Just finished Winter and entered Spring near the end of the game.
That scene with Joel and Ellie stabbing the cannibal leader dude (maybe he's even a pedophile?), wow. It was so beautiful, the way Joel held her in his arms and said "it's okay, baby girl". The tears in her eyes. I've never seen emotion like that expressed in a video game. I felt her terror.

I just. I just....I need to sit down.

This game will have me thinking about it all day tomorrow.

I'm now trying to smuggle Ellie out of the city with Tess. Just found out Ellie's sort of resistant to the infection.

To be honest, I'm not feeling it. Is the AI supposed to blatantly ignore my companions?
Marlene
just walked right in front of a guy and even pushed him back a little and it just didn't register. She went right back into hiding also, shouldn't she have attacked? Also,
. As far as graphics goes the game is beautiful, but the framerate drops and pop-in are pretty annoying =/

I think the combat, scenarios, and AI all get better later on, personally.

Try having fun instead of focusing on minor things like that.

If you have a headset, I think you'll pretty much own the other team by using teamwork. I was playing with a group that only had two guys with a mic. Every time they were together, they dominated since they helped each other out by saying if there's a guy there or not, etc.

The only way I can see multi be improved if they have something like the codec in MGO so we can warn our teammates if there's an enemy. I know you can do this by pressing R3 but you have to pop out, and then click it on him. Kinda putting yourself in danger.

Superflat

Marlene
. As far as graphics goes the game is beautiful, but the framerate drops and pop-in are pretty annoying =

Enemies ignoring AI allies was a design compromise they had to make since it would be way more frustrating for AI to ruin stealth.

I wasn't feelin it in the beginning as well. The opening was spectacular and everything looked gorgeous but I was actually starting to get worried that I wouldn't enjoy this game as much as I thought I would. But I'm 16 hours in and I'm loving the hell out of this game. The beginning is pretty slow.

Your TV settings are off if you can see through the dark. I couldn't see shit in that area or many of the dark areas of the game without my flashlight.

Yes, that seems like the most obvious answer. But I've played with these same settings with every other game, and it appears to be just fine. I based my settings off setting I got on AVSfourms for my TV. TLOU is the first game were its seems my settings are not suited for the game.

I'm using a Panasonic TC-P50U50.

The Lamp

If I didn't have to work tomorrow. I would just continue to play and finish it, but then again I don't ever want this game to end T_T

This is what I think.

I don't understand how Naughty Dog made a campaign that is longer than Uncharted 2 but just as well-paced. I don't understand how they made the combat so damn good. I just don't understand this game. I can't believe how well-thought-out almost every aspect of it is. Even the multiplayer, I'm having a blast.

Looking forward to finishing the single-player tomorrow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Arrrgh, I just realized that "restart last encounter" != "restart from last checkpoint." I had already cleared an area of Clickers and Walkers, but then decided to go back to location I sneaked through because I suspected overlooked some supplies there. I had checked point "less than one minute ago" but when I accidentally tripped and had to use ammo I thought of redoing it, so I chose "restart last encounter" and it literally took me 15 minutes back. Blah.

ironcreed

Banned
I still can't get over how great this game is. A common complaint is how big budget, blockbuster games are often shallow in the gameplay department. Not so here. It has an emotionally-driven story that is touching, absolutely brutal and horrific all wrapped around gameplay that is deliberate, allows choice and can be about as equally brutal and jaw dropping as the story. Even the impact of getting shot is something that literally makes me wince because it is done so well. In short, this is as close as you will likely get to the total package.

SRTtoZ

Yes, that seems like the most obvious answer. But I've played with these same settings with every other game, and it appears to be just fine. I based my settings off setting I got on AVSfourms for my TV. TLOU is the first game were its seems my settings are not suited for the game.

Yea I dont know man. All of the dark areas in the game force me to use the flashlight or else I cant see a thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just finished it.

Holy shit. I didn't think they could top UC2 but its not even close. Naughty Gods indeed. This game was worth the acclaim and then some. I honestly can't wrap my head around how great this game was. Easily GOTY and I can't fathom knocking it off the perch.

So I just got past the section in the
sewers where like 30 infected stream down a catwalk and filter into a room from both ends. I must've died like 40 times in this area cause the game provides you with no prep time to heal or craft if you're in bad shape cause it autosaves right when Henry says "you ready?" leaving you with about 4 seconds to prepare. Is it just me or is this absolutely rotten encounter design?

You've got a mix of clickers and runners and unless you're lucky and tossing molotovs every which way to control the hoard your ass is gonna get grabbed by a clicker and one hit killed.
Doesn't seem remotely fair and it really pissed me off. Are there any other segments like this in the game? Cause if this was any other game I would have shut this off and not looked back for a good couple of days :l

Thrakier

Your settings are fine, it's just how the game rolls. And granted, it's a nice change to all those "pitch black" games where you don't see shit.

So I just got past the section in the
sewers where like 30 infected stream down a catwalk and filter into a room from both ends. I must've died like 40 times in this area cause the game provides you with no prep time to heal or craft if you're in bad shape cause it autosaves right when Henry says "you ready?" leaving you with about 4 seconds to prepare. Is it just me or is this absolutely rotten encounter design?

You've got a mix of clickers and runners and unless you're lucky and tossing molotovs every which way to control the hoard your ass is gonna get grabbed by a clicker and one hit killed.
Doesn't seem remotely fair and it really pissed me off. Are there any other segments like this in the game? Cause if this was any other game I would have shut this off and not looked back for a good couple of days :l

I'd say that's the last bad segment of the game. It definitely picks up from there. That area fucking sucks ass.

TripOpt55

Finished it tonight. One of my all-time favorites. Best game this gen for me. Loved every second of it. Will type up some more thorough impressions this week. Excited to jump into Survivor mode and try the multiplayer.

Chris_C

I'm about an hour and a half in, and I just noticed a little controller icon come up that indicated to shake the controller. I did it and the icon went away. Anyone know what that was?

Hale-XF11

Is voice chat even enabled for the game? I hear people talking during the menus, but it seems that everyone is muted when the game starts. Hmm, or maybe it's just people on the other team.

I definitely heard chatting during gameplay.

If you have a headset, I think you'll pretty much own the other team by using teamwork. I was playing with a group that only had two guys with a mic. Every time they were together, they dominated since they helped each other out by saying if there's a guy there or not, etc.

The only way I can see multi be improved if they have something like the codec in MGO so we can warn our teammates if there's an enemy. I know you can do this by pressing R3 but you have to pop out, and then click it on him. Kinda putting yourself in danger.
Yup, people with mics totally dominate in this game.

AniHawk

I'm about an hour and a half in, and I just noticed a little controller icon come up that indicated to shake the controller. I did it and the icon went away. Anyone know what that was?

your flashlight was probably on the fritz. shake the controller and it brings the light back to full steam. motion controls really killed this game experience for me i mean come on naughty dog why do you have to put waggle in everything.

Leeness

Your flashlight was flickering :)

I'm at 41% now
Pittsburg
and my gawd. I love this game. I actually jumped my difficulty up from normal to hard and it's much more interesting this way. Less supplies and more dying, but the enemies seem smarter. So...woo!

I'm choked I worked all weekend and work a few more days and don't get to play ALL DAY. I just want to play for hours.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I definitely heard chatting during gameplay.

Yup, people with mics totally dominate in this game.

So they should. The lack of people on PSN who use headsets in team games astounds me after coming from 360. I'd rather play with randoms with mcs than real life friends that don't have them tbh.

Eusis

Fuck, I'm at it sounds like a little under the halfway point, the
basement of the Pittsburgh hotel
, and I have to ask if the game ever gets that tense/scary again? I ended up just shutting it off when
I was starting the engine, HEARD A CLICKER, and didn't bother to even see what happened when the QTE ended and/or got interrupted.

I'm also wondering if the game loads are faster for the digital version rather than the retail one.

Top Bottom