• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

televator

Is there some trick to getting molotov's to kill people? I can't seem to get it to even faze them. Worse case was tonight on the subway level, Downtown I think it is? I flank the entire enemy team as they are in a gunfight with two of my teammates. I throw it against a wall where one dude is leaning for cover.. he literally just sits there leaning as his entire cover is engulfed in flames. Another dude runs around from around the corner and tries to kill me.. I down him, and he crawls back through the fire towards another teammate. Doesn't die. A 3rd enemy walks through the fire to shoot me dead, all while the 2nd guy is still just on his knees in the fire waiting to be revived. I just don't understand how it works.

Yeah, IDK. They seemed to work almost too well in my experience. They often engulfed enemies that I thought were too far from the blast radius. Fucking molotovs were like magic in this game. lol I defeated whole groups of enemies with just one molotov or a "grenade" which actually stunned me when it happened. 0_o

DjRoomba

Banned
It really picks up a few hours in but... after a while did anyone else just become a walking armory? I was crafting up smoke bombs and melee upgrades that I never used just to clear space for more resources around halfway to the 3/4 mark, I eventually started using them but I just had so many resources it was ridiculous. And this was on Hard, I can't imagine what it would have been like on normal or easy.

Good to hear, not ther yet

Is there some trick to getting molotov's to kill people? I can't seem to get it to even faze them. Worse case was tonight on the subway level, Downtown I think it is? I flank the entire enemy team as they are in a gunfight with two of my teammates. I throw it against a wall where one dude is leaning for cover.. he literally just sits there leaning as his entire cover is engulfed in flames. Another dude runs around from around the corner and tries to kill me.. I down him, and he crawls back through the fire towards another teammate. Doesn't die. A 3rd enemy walks through the fire to shoot me dead, all while the 2nd guy is still just on his knees in the fire waiting to be revived. I just don't understand how it works.

Molotovs are usually insta-kill from what I've seen, and experienced. The random sponginess with both armored and unarmored players is much more annoying IMO, as is headshots only downing people instead of flat out killing them.

Mupod

First encounter in Pittsburgh is giving me trouble. Am I supposed to take everyone down?

this one's actually pretty tough. It's a big difficulty spike in the game and sets the tone for some of the later encounters, plus you're probably low on supplies. Random tips before I go to bed:

How much pistol ammo do you have? Using a human shield, headshotting one guy, shooting your hostage and then running like hell works wonders for thinning out the enemies. At this stage in the game you can still lose your pursuers quite easily by running and hiding. I don't recommend using the shotgun since it seems to suck on humans.

Remember you can grab guys around corners if they aren't alerted, but it won't work if they are actively searching.

Watch out for reinforcements from around the bus.

First encounter in Pittsburgh is giving me trouble. Am I supposed to take everyone down?

After Ellie gets the rifle you mean? That's pretty easy. Just work your way upstairs from the cafe and proceed to ghost everyone. Just takes patience. Observe their patrol routes, drop down from above and proceed to choke them out. If you're spotted just dash away and jump thru the window of an adjacent building and wait in the shadows for someone to come along to strangle. The human AI is not very good even on hard. It's easily exploitable.

It also helps to be a decent shot. You can stun a guy from afar with a shot, dash to close the distance and finish him off with about 1 or 2 good swings of the pipe. Saves on bullets and melee weapons. Sorta like the electro bolt/wrench combo in Bioshock lol

Didn´t want to draw the Tomb Raider comparison, but that was my first thought as well.

In TR I couldn´t wait for the cutscene to end so I could continue playing - in TLOU I can´t wait for the gameplay to end so I can watch another cutscene and hopefully find myself in a different location afterwards..

Don´t want to hate on the game too much because it is still impressive, but as of now UC2 remains NDs best work to date and they really really need to evolve in the gameplay department..

Wow, what? I don't understand this at all. The Last of Us is leagues above Uncharted in gameplay in pretty much every comparable category. Unless you're simply not a fan of this style of game, it's hard for me to me to imagine someone not thinking this is a clear step up.

I just beat the game.

I think the game was good, but way over hyped.

I mean, normally with Uncharted games (I know this game isn't Uncharted, I'm just comparing it to other Naughty Dog games) I would want to play through the game again as soon as it ended, but I REALLY don't feel like playing The Last of Us again after the first time.

The combat was really weird for me. I played on hard, and it really felt like unless I stealth killed most enemies I was pretty much fucked.

I was loving the story for the entire game, but I really don't like how it ended either;
it can't be for nothing? really? well in the end it WAS for fucking nothing. No cure for humanity. Why can't we have a happy ending for both Joel and Ellie, AND humanity as well?
Unless this game will have a sequel.

Well, that's my two cents on the game after beating it

Sandfox

I just finished the game and I had fun but I was definitely a bit disappointed. I think the game was kinda overhyped by the media and some gamers and that ruined it a bit for me.

televator

Molotovs are usually insta-kill from what I've seen, and experienced. The random sponginess with both armored and unarmored players is much more annoying IMO, as is headshots only downing people instead of flat out killing them.

That was such crap! I was shooting some of the armored guys right in the face with my riffle and they'd just shake off like 4 rounds and get back up each time. I can't remember if I had the armor piercing upgrade though...

Also, because of the way most enemies move, the bow and arrow is possibly the most useless weapon in the game. Sure it's silent if you head shot, but it was damn near impossible to line one up unless the enemy was standing still.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
this one's actually pretty tough. It's a big difficulty spike in the game and sets the tone for some of the later encounters, plus you're probably low on supplies. Random tips before I go to bed:

How much pistol ammo do you have? Using a human shield, headshotting one guy, shooting your hostage and then running like hell works wonders for thinning out the enemies. At this stage in the game you can still lose your pursuers quite easily by running and hiding. I don't recommend using the shotgun since it seems to suck on humans.

Remember you can grab guys around corners if they aren't alerted, but it won't work if they are actively searching.

Watch out for reinforcements from around the bus.

After Ellie gets the rifle you mean? That's pretty easy. Just work your way upstairs from the cafe and proceed to ghost everyone. Just takes patience. Observe their patrol routes, drop down from above and proceed to choke them out. If you're spotted just dash away and jump thru the window of an adjacent building and wait in the shadows for someone to come along to strangle. The human AI is not very good even on hard. It's easily exploitable.

It also helps to be a decent shot. You can stun a guy from afar with a shot, dash to close the distance and finish him off with about 1 or 2 good swings of the pipe. Saves on bullets and melee weapons. Sorta like the electro bolt/wrench combo in Bioshock lol

Nope, first one, before Ellie gets any firearms. But it's good to know that she soon will, I really could use the backup now that Bill isn't around.

I just went running away, crossing the street back and forth until I thinned them out. It's true that the shotgun doesn't seem to be as effective against them as the infected. Anyhow, I managed to overcome them in the end. And now I'm at the "gnarly" place. Thanks guys.

That was such crap! I was shooting some of the armored guys right in the face with my riffle and they'd just shake off like 4 rounds and get back up each time. I can't remember if I had the armor piercing upgrade though...

Also, because of the way most enemies move, the bow and arrow is possibly the most useless weapon in the game. Sure it's silent if you head shot, but it was damn near impossible to line one up unless the enemy was standing still.

Bow and arrow is for stealth.

kasane

I just beat the game.

I think the game was good, but way over hyped.

I mean, normally with Uncharted games (I know this game isn't Uncharted, I'm just comparing it to other Naughty Dog games) I would want to play through the game again as soon as it ended, but I REALLY don't feel like playing The Last of Us again after the first time.

The combat was really weird for me. I played on hard, and it really felt like unless I stealth killed most enemies I was pretty much fucked.

I was loving the story for the entire game, but I really don't like how it ended either;
it can't be for nothing? really? well in the end it WAS for fucking nothing. No cure for humanity. Why can't we have a happy ending for both Joel and Ellie, AND humanity as well?
Unless this game will have a sequel.

Well, that's my two cents on the game after beating it

I think you didn't get the ending. more than anything it was about both Joel and Ellie. The ending was Joel's decision based on the journey. At least thats how i interpreted it

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Okay, after reading through some of the posts, I might be playing the game wrong with trying to kill/strangle everyone I see.

Playing on Hard straightaway and I sometimes you find Ellie annoying due to her getting in the way. Does this get better?

Trophies are something I just remembered now. I've yet to hear a pop or seen one yet.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm nowhere near the end but I understand how you feel lol. The game is just too intense and exhausting at times. While it's really well-done, it's not "fun" per se, i.e. "I can't wait for the nightmare to be over, no I don't wanna go back."

At the same time, I can see how some would consider it "not that good, not that fun" either.

GlamFM

Banned
Wow, what? I don't understand this at all. The Last of Us is leagues above Uncharted in gameplay in pretty much every comparable category. Unless you're simply not a fan of this style of game, it's hard for me to me to imagine someone not thinking this is a clear step up.

Maybe, but still not good enough compared to other modern games.

I had fun with it. I plan on replaying it on all difficulty. Though playing this game is a bit stressful on the tense moments (which I have a ton of).

Okay, after reading through some of the posts, I might be playing the game wrong with trying to kill/strangle everyone I see.

Playing on Hard straightaway and I sometimes you find Ellie annoying due to her getting in the way. Does this get better?

Trophies are something I just remembered now. I've yet to hear a pop or seen one yet.

That's basically how I'm doing it. I've ghosted entire buildings and encampments so I'm finding it to be relatively easy with some patience. It's the infected that are frustrating. Any time when there's a mix of runners and clickers? Fuck that. About all I can do is dash away with the shotgun in hand to thin them out. Its not possible to be stealthy as the runners have some BS FOV cones going on. The runners get their paws on you and you're done for cause a clicker's just waiting to grab you right after. It's very frustrating.

Companion AI is also pretty dumb I've found, and yes, Ellie does get in the way at times, but its not severe enough to be an issue. Just annoying at times

AniHawk

Would you mind expanding on this?

if the last of us had vanquish's knee-sliding slow-mo gameplay, it might be the best game ever.

and giant robot bosses. fuck yeah.

i mean, keep the story the same, but have that stuff in there. they could call the slow-mo joel-mo and explain the rocket knee-sliding as a mutation of the cordyceps thing, like the t-virus in resident evil. maybe ellie could throw in a couple 'holy fucking shit, joel!'s while he was doing it.

anyone know why i didn't find the infected creepy or scary at all but the necros in Dead Space creep the hell out of me?

pretty sad when this is what people care about.

U mad bro?

The ending was outstanding, and just as much as I enjoyed the game I'd also like to 100% it as well, since I enjoy it that much. I don't see whats "sad" about that.

GlamFM

Banned
Would you mind expanding on this?

I could, but I´m at work and really should start actually doing stuff ;)

Think I said what I wanted to say already. I had fun actually playing Tomb Raider and I´m not having fun with TLOU.

I still like the story and I think it looks great and I will finish it!

However gameplay and especially gunplay is something ND simply can´t get right.

Only my opinion of course - no need to convince me! I like it - I just wish I liked it more.

Ryse: Son of Rome.

0/10

-12/10

if the last of us had vanquish's knee-sliding slow-mo gameplay, it might be the best game ever.

and giant robot bosses. fuck yeah.

i mean, keep the story the same, but have that stuff in there. they could call the slow-mo joel-mo and explain the rocket knee-sliding as a mutation of the cordyceps thing, like the t-virus in resident evil. maybe ellie could throw in a couple 'holy fucking shit, joel!'s while he was doing it.

4/10

I think you didn't get the ending. more than anything it was about both Joel and Ellie. The ending was Joel's decision based on the journey. At least thats how i interpreted it

I do get the ending. I know it's all about Joel and Ellie. Joel straight up lied to Ellie in the final scene of the game.

I get it. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Lingitiz

61% at just over 8 hours. This game has really picked up and I feel like it's approaching game of the generation territory for me. It's rare that a game gets stronger and stronger like this.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm at the
two bloaters encounter at the start of spring
, it's the first time I've really died multiple times on an encounter (and it's been Ellie's fault so far, she's constantly being grabbed). I know there's been a lot of complaints about too frequent autosaves, but based on this bit, if anything, they could be more frequent, there are two smaller encounters and a bunch of items before the two dudes, and redoing those little bits is actually pretty irritating.

Fistwell

The difference that upgrade makes seems almost comical. Such a sweet weapon to pick off armored dudes from afar. Too bad I didn't have ammo for it when I really needed it.

Yeah that's what I've been experiencing as well. Either standing still or walking in a straight line unaware of me. It's been very useful for me, to take down enemies silently and at range. I just wish these damn arrows weren't made out of glass.

Pranay

Naughty Dog's fantastic The Last of Us has stormed to the top of the UK all-formats chart and earned the biggest launch for a new gaming franchise in over two years, since Rockstar's L.A. Noire.

It was the third fastest selling game of the year (behind Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite) and Sony's first chart topper since Uncharted: Golden Abyss at the PlayStation Vita's launch in 2012.

Did over 100k in first week uk it seems which is amazing since its on one platform and most games on uk were bombing hard

squidyj

I'm at the
two bloaters encounter at the start of spring
, it's the first time I've really died multiple times on an encounter (and it's been Ellie's fault so far, she's constantly being grabbed). I know there's been a lot of complaints about too frequent autosaves, but based on this bit, if anything, they could be more frequent, there are two smaller encounters and a bunch of items before the two dudes, and redoing those little bits is actually pretty irritating.

Heh I die a lot... on purpose. "fuck, the clicker moved and I missed with the bow, might as well go die"

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I could, but I´m at work and really should start actually doing stuff ;)

Think I said what I wanted to say already. I had fun actually playing Tomb Raider and I´m not having fun with TLOU.

I still like the story and I think it looks great and I will finish it!

However gameplay and especially gunplay is something ND simply can´t get right.

Only my opinion of course - no need to convince me! I like it - I just wish I liked it more.
not trying to convince you but TLOU is miles a head of Tomb Raider in terms of level design, game mechanics, gunplay and encounter design

Yeah that's what I've been experiencing as well. Either standing still or walking in a straight line unaware of me. It's been very useful for me, to take down enemies silently and at range. I just wish these damn arrows weren't made out of glass.

I had trouble getting the to reliably land my shots too, but that kept arrows from being overpowered. I could never be 100 percent sure X arrows would net me X amount of stealth kills. I also only went for headshots since I knew body shots might not kill when they're alerted. Apparently they don't when enemies are unaware...

After completing the game, the aspect of the game I appreciated most was its willingness to let the player feel weakness. I never truly felt empowered; any weapons/items I picked up only made me feel less weak, for as long as they had ammo/the necessary supplies.

Just before ending, I decided to
look through Ellie's backpack
since I'd put that off
the times I was playing as her before, considering how little downtime her sections had
(wonder if that was done purposefully...).
Seeing Riley's dogtag, Sam's toy and reading the letter from her mom written right after her birth hit hard, especially after the hospital. And Joel touching his watch...

Speaking of, sometimes it gives a bit more weight to the experience when characters make their own decisions, even though you're controlling them.

kurbaan

Banned
Been playing this game pretty much non stop for the last 2 days. Not finished yet just got to the part
where Ellie gets caught by those cannibals
. And wow what an amazing game so far and the tension in fights is so intense. And the start of the
Winter section right after Joel falls off the horse and it just blacks out I really thought he had died and I was like HOLY SHIT they actually killed one of the main characters and I was just like
256621-funny-gifs-citizen-kane-clapping.gif
Citizen Kane indeed lol.

Also ND did an amazing job with the characters especially Ellie. Did anyone else think she was based on and voiced by Ellen Page?

Top Bottom