• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

abic

Banned
I could, but I´m at work and really should start actually doing stuff ;)

Think I said what I wanted to say already. I had fun actually playing Tomb Raider and I´m not having fun with TLOU.

I still like the story and I think it looks great and I will finish it!

However gameplay and especially gunplay is something ND simply can´t get right

Nah, you just suck at the game. Gunplay and mechanics worked fantastic for me overall.

Kinda pathetic to see people blame the game when they suck at something.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Did over 100k in first week uk it seems which is amazing since its on one platform and most games on uk were bombing hard

It released on friday right? That's mighty impressive imo. For example both Bioshock and Tomb Raider were released on a tuesday. That means those had atleast 3 more days of sale.

No it's not, hitting the body is a silent one hit kill, I've done it dozens of times.

with ellie i assume. she has infinite shiv and her shots were more powerful... But with joel the bow needed to be a headshot to kill. Unless you played on normal and I played on hard and that could be the reason.

GlamFM

Banned
Nah, you just suck at the game. Gunplay and mechanics worked fantastic for me overall.

Kinda pathetic to see people blame the game when they suck at something.

Careful junior. Here at NeoGAF we respect other peoples opinions. Saying people suck at a game simply because they don´t like it as much as you want them too might (will) get you banned.

kurbaan

Banned
Reposting for new page:

Been playing this game pretty much non stop for the last 2 days. Not finished yet just got to the part
where Ellie gets caught by those cannibals
And wow what an amazing game so far and the tension in fights is so intense. And the start of the
Winter section right after Joel falls off the horse and it just blacks out I really thought he had died and I was like HOLY SHIT they actually killed one of the main characters and I was just like Citizen Kane indeed lol.

256621-funny-gifs-citizen-kane-clapping.gif

Also ND did an amazing job with the characters especially Ellie. Did anyone else think she was based on and voiced by Ellen Page?

JawzPause

Reposting for new page:

Been playing this game pretty much non stop for the last 2 days. Not finished yet just got to the part
where Ellie gets caught by those cannibals
. And wow what an amazing game so far and the tension in fights is so intense. And the start of the
Winter section right after Joel falls off the horse and it just blacks out I really thought he had died and I was like HOLY SHIT they actually killed one of the main characters and I was just like
256621-funny-gifs-citizen-kane-clapping.gif
Citizen Kane indeed lol.

Also ND did an amazing job with the characters especially Ellie. Did anyone else think she was based on and voiced by Ellen Page?

Fix your spoiler tag!

with ellie i assume. she has infinite shiv and her shots were more powerful... But with joel the bow needed to be a headshot to kill. Unless you played on normal and I played on hard and that could be the reason.

If you are not yet detected it does more damage and is 1 hit silent kill.

For ellie it is insta kill all the time even on clickers. Even her rifle is instakill to the body.

Careful junior. Here at NeoGAF we respect other peoples opinions. Saying people suck at a game because they don´t like it as much as you want them too might (will) get you banned.

Honestly, the gunplay is fantastic. Responsive, adaptive to damage. I won't say you suck but clearly ND made it hard because you know, shooting under stress is hard. kinda miss the kind of animation that you could do by pointblank shooting someone without needing to aim. Also funny that he doesn't use the rifle/shotgun as a blunt weapon when he doesn't have a melee weapon

pa22word

If I buy the OST on PSN do they just dump mp3's on my HDD that I can copy elsewhere or is it locked to my account and console? I absolutely love the ost in this game, and would love to have it on my mp3 player for running and such.

Could someone please take that gif of Joel contemplating whether to turn around in the truck or go down the off ramp and have "gaming, community, off-topic, community," tabs be on the horizon behind them and "post reply" be on the off-ramp for when people are are making a post in a thread against their better judgement?

oh and since we're posting our stuff from the bottom of the previous page

Yeah that's what I've been experiencing as well. Either standing still or walking in a straight line unaware of me. It's been very useful for me, to take down enemies silently and at range. I just wish these damn arrows weren't made out of glass.

I had trouble getting the to reliably land my shots too, but that kept arrows from being overpowered. I could never be 100 percent sure X arrows would net me X amount of stealth kills. I also only went for headshots since I knew body shots might not kill when they're alerted. Apparently they don't when enemies are unaware...

After completing the game, the aspect of the game I appreciated most was its willingness to let the player feel weakness. I never truly felt empowered; any weapons/items I picked up only made me feel less weak, for as long as they had ammo/the necessary supplies.

Just before ending, I decided to
look through Ellie's backpack
since I'd put that off
the times I was playing as her before, considering how little downtime her sections had
(wonder if that was done purposefully...).
Seeing Riley's dogtag, Sam's toy and reading the letter from her mom written right after her birth hit hard, especially after the hospital. And Joel touching his watch...

Speaking of, sometimes it gives a bit more weight to the experience when characters make their own decisions, even though you're controlling them.

not trying to convince you but TLOU is miles a head of Tomb Raider in terms of level design, game mechanics, gunplay and encounter design

That's why I was puzzled. Tomb Raider was a decent step up from Uncharted, but still plagued by a lot of the same encounter pacing issues of constantly throwing waves and waves of mindless fools at you. The Last of Us not only paces its encounters better in what I played so far, but it's also on another level of intensity altogether without resorting to waves of backup (again, from what I've played so far). Being under fire in this game feels dangerous unlike most pure shooters out there, and though there are still some issues regarding unrealistic damage some of the enemies can take (because getting hit in your SWAT helmet won't knock you over, right?), the initial feedback to firing weapons is far above Tomb Reboot. That's before even getting into what makes up the bulk of the combat here.

But, y'know, opinions n' stuff.

Why would anyone want to upgrade crafting speed?

Yeah, I haven't put anything into it aside from the first level that the season pass gave me. It's not like I'm going to sit there in the middle of a battle and craft this shit. Though I'll have to max it out at some point to get dat trophy.

Anyway, this game is really brilliant. I just got to "Fall", and stopped there for the night. I think I'll be playing this again immediately once I do finish. Do I get to keep my upgrades and whatnot when I start a new game?

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
That's why I was puzzled. Tomb Raider was a decent step up from Uncharted, but still plagued by a lot of the same encounter pacing issues of constantly throwing waves and waves of mindless fools at you. The Last of Us not only paces its encounters better in what I played so far, but it's also on another level of intensity altogether without resorting to waves of backup (again, from what I've played so far). Being under fire in this game feels dangerous unlike most pure shooters out there, and though there are still some issues regarding unrealistic damage some of the enemies can take (because getting hit in your SWAT helmet won't knock you over, right?), the initial feedback to firing weapons is far above Tomb Reboot. That's before even getting into what makes up the bulk of the combat here.

agreed cant think of a better third person shooter this gen with better encounter design.
yes even vanquish

The sway without any upgrades was way too much. I thought it fit into the fiction initially but then I got the first upgrade and that completely undermined that. Now I can't tell what the devs were going for. With the second sway upgrade the reticules for everything outside of the shotgun become unmoving pins if you stand still.

Upgrade that shit straight away because guns become a bigger factor as the game progresses. I was 90% stealth for the first 6 or so hours.

plenilune

I guess some prefer to craft on the fly depending on the needs.

Oh I see. I could see it being slightly more useful in higher difficulties. I played on Normal so there was no point in saving materials for those situations. I constantly found more materials than I can carry. Well, my next playthrough is Survivor.

From Uncharted 1 and many parts of 3, not all of 2 though.

But yeah, TLoU manages to make the combat feel more appropriate relative to its tone/story/setting than any other AAA, "believable" game of this gen. There are a few unavoidable combat scenarios, but even in those (rare) situations where enemies are alerted to you from the get-go beyond your control, you still can often flee/hide/misdirect/Etc. (there is one wave-based sequence, not in regular gameplay though). Makes a world of difference and simply having enemies only track you based on line-of-sight/sound and not psychically know where you're at at all times elevates this combat above many other games.

Knowing that I almost always could've avoided a fight makes said fights feel more substantial. Sneaking past enemies that I know I could've alerted makes the sneaking more intense.

Just finished it. 7.5 out of

Seriously though.. amazing experience all round

The ending
left me emotional, such mixed emotions. I would have liked to have seen Elly give herself to save humanity... she would have wanted it that way... Though they should have also allowed Joel to say goodbye. It was quite selfish of him to murder those people to save Elly, but it was a brave decision to end the game that way.

Troy Baker, the Woman who voiced Elly and the person who voiced
Bill
need to be recognized for their voice work.. phenomenal job.

From Uncharted 1 and many parts of 3, not all of 2 though.

But yeah, TLoU manages to make the combat feel more appropriate relative to its tone/story/setting than any other AAA, "believable" game of this gen. There are a few unavoidable combat scenarios, but even in those (rare) situations where enemies are alerted to you from the get-go beyond your control, you still can often flee/hide/misdirect/Etc. (there is one wave-based sequence, not in regular gameplay though). Makes a world of difference and simply having enemies only track you based on line-of-sight/sound and not psychically know where you're at at all times elevates this combat above many other games.

Knowing that I almost always could've avoided a fight makes said fights feel more substantial. Sneaking past enemies that I know I could've alerted makes the sneaking more intense.

In regards to the line you bolded, I just meant it was a step up in terms of the variety of offensive capabilities available to the player, not the overall design, in which Uncharted 2 still bests TR. But The Last of Us is ahead of all of its action/adventure peers IMO. Intensity, sound, options, animation; I mean, gotdamn if this game had Euphoria physics there'd be no argument at all.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wow. Fuckin.....wow. just finished my first of what I'm sure will become many playthroughs.

What was that? Good lord man... I haven't been that tense...nervous...upset or anxious over a game since ever. From the game design...encounters having weight..gunplay being pitch perfect...you never feel godly. You never feel safe like your so set up you can pay less attention and make it by on your items. There was never a sense of slogging through repeated motions and the one gameplay aspect (palet rafts for ellie) gets rightfully teased and yet somehow doesn't break immersion or feel forced. Hell... They even lure you into a sense of safety with that as well.

I like to think of myself as a damb fine gamer and I can't think of another game off the top of my head that made me scramble and adapt and improvise on the fly so much...and from that came this insane sense of accomplishment and success that I'm not sure ill see again in the video game sphere for a while.

I've got a three year old little girl and dat prologue almost got a somber man tear outta me. In the first Fuckin 20 minutes.

I get the 10s. Easily my goty right now.

An experience ill never forget.....
when you are at the damn and find an axe for the first time...tommy says something like "you still remember how to kill don't you?" ...I was so amped up I ran across the catwalk before the bandits had moved through the door and went Voorhees on all 4 guys...like butter. My blood was pumping so hard I talked shit to computer generated brother on the tv. Looked around and laughed at how well this game had enveloped me. Just Fuckin stellar. Dat bow. Dem cannibals. Bloaters to..... Just godamn.

Anyone think this game will be successful in Japan? The Uncharted games have sold remarkably well there for a western developed series. And we know they love zombies/survival horror.

Sean

Banned
Oh that's disappointing.

I was sorta bummed about that too, would've been fun to just go crazy with all the fully upgraded weapons at the start and it would make multiple play-throughs feel very different. A lot of the cooler weapons you get much later in the game.

Do you carry over unspent gears as well?

Yup.

Unspent gears, unspent pills/supplements, your upgrades to Joel, your weapon upgrades, everything carries over. Statistics and collectibles (artifacts, firefly pendants, training manuals, comic books, etc) seem to carry over as well.

In regards to the line you bolded, I just meant it was a step up in terms of the variety of offensive capabilities available to the player, not the overall design, in which Uncharted 2 still bests TR. But The Last of Us is ahead of all of its action/adventure peers IMO. Intensity, sound, options, animation; I mean, gotdamn if this game had Euphoria physics there'd be no argument at all.

I can't even think of this right now; it's too much. Don't think the world is ready either.

I was sorta bummed about that too, would've been fun to just go crazy with all the fully upgraded weapons at the start and it would make multiple play-throughs feel very different. A lot of the cooler weapons you get much later in the game.

Yeah, that's a bit disappointing. I mean, I understand the reasons for building up to certain weapons at specific story beats, but on NG+ just let me break the game. They're free to set the rules on the first playthrough, but post-game I want to use an infinite rocket launcher on the first group of enemies I see. Why? Because videogames.

I can't even think of this right now; it's too much. Don't think the world is ready either.

They ain't ready.

T-0800

ND are jerks. I have a daughter called Sarah and the first 10 minutes of this game had me holdiing back the tears.

Not really jerks

NekoFever

I sat down at 10:30 last night, intending to play half an hour or so because I had to be up early this morning, and I'd left off in the
university science centre, when you find out where the Fireflies have gone and get shot at
. I thought I'd play through that into the next area, but then of course I got wrapped up in the events at the end of that sequence and ended up playing straight through the winter chapter.

[Winter spoilers hereafter]

That was incredible. From the change of pace in the hunting to the interactions with David, I loved it. I was actually starting to trust him up until he revealed his allegiances. The cannibal community is kind of a cliché of post-apocalyptic fiction (The Walking Dead, Fallout, The Road, etc), but whatever. The stealth sequences here were exciting when I'd been getting tired of them elsewhere in the game, and the interrogation scene and the 'boss' fight with David were so intense. It just had be gripped the whole time. Fantastic stuff.

I'm a wreck this morning. Thanks, TLOU.

Sheroking

Finished, it's the best action game I've ever played.

TLoU2, no shaking to recharge the torch, and it'll be perfect.

I just beat the game on Hard and didn't even know this was a thing. I thought I saw the "tilt the controller" prompt pop up at one point, but I had no idea that's what it was for.

I forgot to mention something cool that happened when I was playing through the last third of the game yesterday, it was such a weird coincidence it really tripped me out at the time.

Probably goes without saying but don't click unless you've finished it, not only will it spoil a part of the game for you but it won't even have any context if you haven't already played.

when I was playing as Ellie being stalked around the restaurant by David, at one point I said under my breath "he's so fucking creepy" and literally a second later Ellie said "Creepy piece of shit".

It was especially weird as that was the first time I had really commented out loud about anything like that or used the word creepy to describe him, it was kind of surreal feeling like my thoughts were in sync with the character I was playing as, like what are the odds I would feel compelled to call him creepy at that exact moment. Props to Nolan North for doing such a good job at sounding creepy as fuck haha. I didn't even realize it was him doing the voice at the time!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm 97% complete on Hard, on the very last stretch but I unfortunately had to leave it until tonight until I finish it (though I'm pretty certain I know the ending)

Anyway, overall it's been good. In fact very, very good. But I don't really agree with these 'masterpiece' claims. It essentially takes the Manhunt style gameplay and Naughty Dog puts their own spin on it. Personally I prefer Manhunt 1 and 2 over this and found both their stories overall much more interesting than the story in The Last Of Us (I think Manhunt 2 is really underrated) which is pretty by the numbers in how the overall story pans out (still some great moments though). Manhunt especially is incredibly dark and I think that's a much braver game than this is, even these many years later (plus it has Brian Cox!)

However, that's not to put The Last Of Us down too much, because what it absolutely excels in is presentation plus it's nice to have another Manhunt style game in this day and age. Naughty Dog know (with the exception of Uncharted 3) how to tell a story and it shows. The last chapter I just played being especially brilliant. The combat is also really weighty in a good way and incredibly brutal. Every hit and shot has a lot of oomph to it, there's one weapon you get later on and I was essentially going 'oooooh shit' after every shot. For me it's much better than Uncharteds combat. The atmosphere is very downbeat and oppressive and I like how there's hardly any music. In a gunfight with nothing but the sounds of the environment and the gunshots, it's pretty damn great.

Fighting against humans is also muuuuuuuuuuch better than fighting against infected/clickers. I liked the mixture of horror/stealth and it was a nice change of pace going from a killroom with humans to trying to purely stealth a level with clickers and runners. Also, fuck runners. The bane of my stealthing in this game. Hard has been nice challenge so far, just enough ammo to scrape by (though I stealth as much as possible) and to keep you on your toes. The human AI has been pretty challenging at times as well and really kept me moving. The one thing that does disappoint me is how much fucking noise your AI companions make. You're doing your best to sneak about and your companions are running around all over the fucking place making noise, bumping into enemies etc. It breaks the immersion a bit but still, better than having the enemies react to it, that would be even more annoying.

I'll talk more about it when I've actually finished it (though I'm reaaaaaaaally close) but I do like it a lot. After being so badly disappointed with Uncharted 3 I'm really enjoying this (though typically, it's being very overhyped). I've not tried multiplayer yet though it seems to be very teambased.

I actually love dying in this game. It's a delight to explore the layouts in each encounter, mess with the AI, use different approaches, etc. A lot of the bigger encounters are almost sandbox like, but they're spaced far enough that the game doesn't become a hike from one combat arena to another. The pacing is incredible.

This games gunfights wishes they were as good as Vanquish.

What a weird comparison. It's like saying Vanquish's melee combat wishes it were as good as Yakuza's. Gunplay is only part of the whole package in TLOU's combat, it's not meant to be as tight or dynamic as Vanquish or RE4 or whatever. It's the gunplay's interplay with the stealth and melee mechanics that make the encounters interesting.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Vanquish wishes its gunfights were as tense and meaningful as TLOU. See how stupid your comparison sounds now. One is a pure shooter and the other is not.

Nah the comparison is still plenty valid. I only brought up Vanquish because someone else did, anyway.

What a weird comparison. It's like saying Vanquish's melee combat wishes it were as good as Yakuza's. Gunplay is only part of the whole package in TLOU's combat, it's not meant to be as tight or dynamic as Vanquish or RE4 or whatever. It's the gunplay's interplay with the stealth and melee mechanics that make the encounters interesting.

Kinda sucks that the stealth is about as basic as it comes and melee equates to mashing square, then.

Top Bottom