• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

StuBurns

Banned
There aren't any third person shooters that control even nearly as good as Vanquish, it's combat is all about precision and execution. TLoU isn't attempting something similar at all. It's meant to be wavy and stressful.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I like about TLOU's combat is the more 'matter of fact' way it takes place. There's no swelling of music urging you on etc. It's just the echoes of gunfire over your head, the ringing noise of guns firing around the environment etc. It can feel pretty intense at times. I wouldn't say the combat is overly complicated, just the way it's presented. Funnily enough it reminded me of films like Heat and Way Of The Gun for some reason.

Also in terms of guns #teamshorty

JoeFenix

Regardless of the gameplay inadequacies I woke up this morning thinking about the game. The ending really sticks with you, the whole experience has this kind of lingering quality.

This game is definitely unique, if only the AI was on point and some of the gameplay was a bit more inspired (planks and ladders replaced by actual puzzles) it would have a been a home run for me. Still the more I think about it the more I think I actually liked it.

Might start a survivor run today.

Nah the comparison is still plenty valid. I only brought up Vanquish because someone else did, anyway.

Kinda sucks that the stealth is about as basic as it comes and melee equates to mashing square, then.

Again, every one of these mechanics is MEANT to be basic and primal. The stealth mechanics don't have to be as in depth as Thief (which is simple anyway, the best stealth games usually are) and the melee doesn't have to be Yakuza, just as the shooting doesn't have to be Vanquish. The game provides just enough tools and without bogging the gameplay down with too many complex systems. Anything more than this basic melee system would be pointless. You can't melee your way through this game on a reasonable difficulty, it's just a basic tool at your disposal that you choose to use situationally. Mashing the button will save you or get you killed/injured based on the situation you got yourself placed in because of your poor or strong usage of the other systems. If this melee system was in Yakuza, of course it would be terrible.

Anyone having any problems with getting Joel to run (using the L2 button)? Because I'm currently stuck at one part where it's pretty essential to be able to run, yet Joel refuses to move at anything above fucking jogging speed. Is this a bug or a controller issue?

StuBurns

Banned
Anyone having any problems with getting Joel to run (using the L2 button)? Because I'm currently stuck at one part where it's pretty essential to be able to run, yet Joel refuses to move at anything above fucking jogging speed. Is this a bug or a controller issue?
His run speed is always dependent on context, sometimes running is a light jog, sometimes it's a sprint.

Kinda sucks that the stealth is about as basic as it comes and melee equates to mashing square, then.

The complexity of said mechanics aren't what add up to this game being good. It isn't a pure stealth title, nor is it a deep melee brawler. Where it exceeds is managing to merge all of that together with a bit of gunplay, and 2 distinct groups of enemies where the depth comes through in the "before" and "after" stages. "Before" meaning route planning and pre-encounter crafting, "after" meaning how you deal with the consequences of your plan failing. Making stealth and melee overly complex would not only make this a different game, but would also muddle the bursts of intensity needed to make this game work. It has to be fast and simple on the controller when things go south. Being Sam Fisher or Dante wasn't this game's goal.

With that said, the ability to lean around corners should've been in here.

GlamFM

Banned

His run speed is always dependent on context, sometimes running is a light jog, sometimes it's a sprint.

That´s because you don´t play TLOU - TLOU plays you.

Honestly though - That is something that annoys me. After all it´s still a game. When I (the player) decide the character on screen should run - he should fucking run.

Well you kill a LOT of dudes in this game. A LOT.

The Last of Us really doesn't do much in the way of putting our current favorite bogeyman of "ludonarrative dissonance" to rest. It just throws a ton of zombies at you instead of conscious people to pad things out and make the "real" body count lower.

nOoblet16

The waves of enemies is killing this game for me. I'm at this point where I don't have much ammo or have a bomb and have to hold off against like 10-15 of them all at once with 4-5 clickers in this small area while I WAIT for the door to open.

Drek

Honestly, the gunplay is fantastic. Responsive, adaptive to damage. I won't say you suck but clearly ND made it hard because you know, shooting under stress is hard. kinda miss the kind of animation that you could do by pointblank shooting someone without needing to aim. Also funny that he doesn't use the rifle/shotgun as a blunt weapon when he doesn't have a melee weapon

If you have a weapon drawn and melee an enemy without a melee weapon he will actually hit them with the but of the gun for the first hit, then change over to fists (obviously because all their kill moves are melee weapon, shiv, and hand to hand based).

The sway without any upgrades was way too much. I thought it fit into the fiction initially but then I got the first upgrade and that completely undermined that. Now I can't tell what the devs were going for. With the second sway upgrade the reticules for everything outside of the shotgun become unmoving pins if you stand still.

Upgrade that shit straight away because guns become a bigger factor as the game progresses. I was 90% stealth for the first 6 or so hours.
The progression worked for me. Not only from a gameplay standpoint where the encounters get larger and more challenging as you go, but also from a character/plot development standpoint. By the time you start upgrading weapon sway Joel has already likely seen more action in the last few days than he had in months before. I viewed it as the continual sharpening of his abilities as he and Ellie became more hardened by the cross country trek.

Or put more succinctly, the first few times you're in a gun fight you're going to be all adrenaline and nerves. The twentieth gun fight in the last month? You've gotten over that and are more focused on getting the job done. To me we see this in the character's progression as well, with
Ellie becoming more and more comfortable with killing people leading up to Winter, and Joel's dialogue during encounters becoming steadily more aggressive

pa22word

Well you kill a LOT of dudes in this game. A LOT.

That doesn't inherently create ludonarrative dissonance. For quick reference remember Hocking's Law: the player-character can not be more righteous than the core mechanic allows.

As I'm sure anyone who's completed the game can attest to, Joel passes the fuck out of this test.

At no stage did it set itself up to tackle that issue, so I don't really see that as a failing of the game.

Really?! I can't say I agree with that at all. This entire game feels like it was designed solely to combat ludonarrative dissonance criticism surrounding Nathan Drake and his body count.

Moobabe

The Last of Us really doesn't do much in the way of putting our current favorite bogeyman of "ludonarrative dissonance" to rest. It just throws a ton of zombies at you instead of conscious people to pad things out and make the "real" body count lower.

At no stage did it set itself up to tackle that issue, so I don't really see that as a failing of the game.

StuBurns

Banned
I didn't find the body count distracting or anything, it felt organic to the environments for the most part, and Joel isn't especially 'nice' like Drake. And
Ellie's
sections are kind of paid off later when Ellie talks about their sacrifices.

Drek

The waves of enemies is killing this game for me. I'm at this point where I don't have much ammo or have a bomb and have to hold off against like 10-15 of them all at once with 4-5 clickers in this small area while I WAIT for the door to open.

What part are you at? Think I have a decent idea but don't want to spoil a later part for you if I'm wrong.

There are very few parts where you face real 'waves' of enemies. I found enemy counts to generally make sense. In the forced encounters with infected it would make sense that your first few shots draw additional attention. There were a lot of times where I died facing waves of enemies pouring down on me when I noisily killed the first few, then on a second attempt was more cautious, killed the first couple quietly, and found that what I saw as waves of enemies were people from different parts of the map that I had alerted by being too loud the attempt before.

Also, stealth does get a lot harder later in the game, but I found that a mixed approach where you take out only the people who have to actually works incredibly well. The escape routes from an area really open up with only one or two well chosen stealth kills.

I didn't find the body count distracting or anything, it felt organic to the environments for the most part, and Joel isn't especially 'nice' like Drake. And
Ellie's
sections are kind of paid off later when Ellie talks about their sacrifices.

You have to have ludonarrative dissonance in most action games. The only other options are a psychotic protagonist or a boring game.

Yeah. I was saying that I don't really care about the game's body count, just that in terms of numbers it's not really the anti-Uncharted some people were/still are touting it as. It's just well contextualized.

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of the murdering, I have a question for people who have finished the game.

(END GAME SPOILERS, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED)
Did you kill the doctors at the end?

Garibaldi

Finished, it's the best action game I've ever played.

TLoU2, no shaking to recharge the torch, and it'll be perfect.

I quite like that mechanic. Just tap the controller off your palm and boom back up. It's like all those horror movies when the light goes out and their frantically tapping the torch. Love it.

pa22word

You have to have ludonarrative dissonance in most action games. The only other options are a psychotic protagonist or a boring game.

I don't think you necessarily have to have a psychotic protag to get around it. A
selfish, murderous hypocrite who will do anything and everything in his power to maintain his facade of a relationship fits pretty well too...

Twinduct

Finished and really enjoyed it. Gameplay picks up after the first 4-5 hours. Really REALLY liked this game and hope the universe gets used in the future!

Dabbeled in MP, but the matchmaking is terrible for me, so no idea if I'll play it that much (Waiting up to 20 mins for a game is really boring).

Top game moments for me
Playing as Ellie hunting the deer ... just felt so good!
Running away from the hunters as Ellie. Didn't realize the game offers so much in terms of play style. Been doing Stealth with Joel but rampart run and gun with Ellie.

Finally the composition is crazy good!

Sheroking

Uncharted 2 is my favorite game this gen. Will TLOU top it?

Close, but it's a no from me.

I don't think you necessarily have to have a psychotic protag to get around it. A
selfish, murderous hypocrite who will do anything and everything in his power to maintain his facade of a relationship fits pretty well too...

Interesting... probably a sign of good storytelling that I think you took it wrong and I had a very opposite reaction.

Speaking of the murdering, I have a question for people who have finished the game.

Yes, one of 'em at least. Only shot him once, in the foot. And he still died.

I only wanted
Ellie to live
, I didn't mean to kill him, I swear :(

Sethos

Banned
Man, the stealth in this game is by far and away the worst 'stealth' gameplay I've ever experienced. So cheap, so bug riddled and so completely boring. Now I'm even at a section where they spot me through walls. Man I'm so ready to just ditch this game.

Sheroking

Man, the stealth in this game is by far and away the worst 'stealth' gameplay I've ever experienced. So cheap, so bug riddled and so completely boring. Now I'm even at a section where they spot me through walls. Man I'm so ready to just ditch this game.

What?

Never experienced a single bug. Never got spotted through a wall.

Easter egg spoiler:

So I just read somewhere that, while in Pittsburgh, Ellie
has a "jokebook" and tells a whole bunch of shitty jokes on multiple occasions.

Did anyone get this? Never happened during my playthrough. Definitely more reason for me to do a Survivor run.

Inversive

Can anyone upload their completed save for me? I completed it on hard but got fucked over by the autosave shit and I want to do a survivor run. Please PM!

The funniest bug I've seen in this game is enemies disappearing during Joel's death scenes. I've had several Clickers kill Joel, only to have the cutscene camera show Joel reacting to an invisible zombie attack.

This also happened once with a (minor spoiler)
Bloater ripping his face in half, which resulted in a terrifying and hilarious shot of Joel's face appearing to explode for no real reason.

Easter egg spoiler:

So I just read somewhere that, while in Pittsburgh, Ellie
has a "jokebook" and tells a whole bunch of shitty jokes on multiple occasions.

Did anyone get this? Never happened during my playthrough. Definitely more reason for me to do a Survivor run.

Yes, it gives you "No Pun intended" tag. It happened to me at the hotel section just after you climb the ladder to the second floor

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Why would you ask this in here? we have a spoiler thread.

Sethos

Banned
Point is you either skipped the patch somehow, have a damaged copy or are experiencing hardware failures that are impacting the game.

It's not the game.

Oh stop this defence shit, yes I'm sure they printed a unique copy on to my disc, I'm sure damaged HARDWARE causes enemies to see me through a wall and my copy is up to date. I'm sitting here playing, sat in a corner with enemies on the other side, not moving and they suddenly got alerted -- Fine, a bug.

And don't tell me you haven't experienced slowly creeping up on someone that is patrolling and SUDDENLY they are alerted to you, magically. That has happened at least 10-15 times now. This is all worsened by the fact that when one guy / infected spots you, everybody else is alerted which means you have to burn through the ammo I barely have or fight when is just slapping square a million times and still dying because the 3 other infected hitting me will stop the attack and ultimately a clicker comes up from behind.

camelpope

Neo Member
So I started playing Saints Row 3 right before E3 started and just finished it last night.

Why am I talking about Saints Row 3?

Because on friday afternoon I played an hour or two of that then popped in Last of us for the first 15 min.

Going from one troy baker to the next was a little jaring considering what happens in that opening.

Haven't had a lot of time to play it so far, only like an hour or so in, but looking forward to it.

WJD

Either I'm doing it completely wrong or ('burbs)
this bit where I have run at the sniper in the house is annoying as fuck.

One small complaint, this game takes an absolute age to boot up and actually get into any action.

Top Bottom