• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

nOoblet16

What part are you at? Think I have a decent idea but don't want to spoil a later part for you if I'm wrong.

There are very few parts where you face real 'waves' of enemies. I found enemy counts to generally make sense. In the forced encounters with infected it would make sense that your first few shots draw additional attention. There were a lot of times where I died facing waves of enemies pouring down on me when I noisily killed the first few, then on a second attempt was more cautious, killed the first couple quietly, and found that what I saw as waves of enemies were people from different parts of the map that I had alerted by being too loud the attempt before.

Also, stealth does get a lot harder later in the game, but I found that a mixed approach where you take out only the people who have to actually works incredibly well. The escape routes from an area really open up with only one or two well chosen stealth kills.

When you meet the two brothers. The first time when you get separated you face like 10 infected and you can't really stealth it cause most of them are runners and they see you easily. The part where I'm stuck comes later when Ellie and the little boy get past the door and try to open it from the other side while you and the bigger brother wait and hold off against the infected. I don't have the ability to get away from a clicker by using a shiv and there's 4-5 of them and the area is quite small so it's quite easy for one to grab me which results in insta death. This one time I managed to run around and hold off pretty well but I was on the other side of the room, ie. near the stairs and that area was even more cramped and hence when I tried to run for the door I got grabbed by one of the clickers

Arkain

Man, the stealth in this game is by far and away the worst 'stealth' gameplay I've ever experienced. So cheap, so bug riddled and so completely boring. Now I'm even at a section where they spot me through walls. Man I'm so ready to just ditch this game.

I was wondering about a certain encounter that was just impossible to do stealthily, but I'm not sure if it was bugged or not:

~55% game completion spoilers

In the sewer, on your way to the radio tower with Sam and Henry, after you get split up: are those infected that look like a cross between a clicker and a runner supposed to hear and see your every move?
They were impossible to evade and if I tried to sneak up on one, he always managed to spot me, even if he had his back to me. There were a lot of them too, so I thought I was supposed to stealth through, but I had to shoot my way through in the end.

cormack12

Gold Member
Either I'm doing it completely wrong or ('burbs)
this bit where I have run at the sniper in the house is annoying as fuck.

Advice on poster's question - roughly 50% into the game spoilers. If you haven't gotten as far as Pittsburgh yet, discount.

The easiest way I found of doing this was going down the left side of the road. Eventually you come to a dilapidated building and some logs that allow you to clamber over the fence. Think there's three fellas outside. Launch moloto or nail bomb, take out the stragglers.

Then climb over the fence (be careful as he can still hit you here for some reason at an insane angle, then run round the back into the open door.

Sethos

Banned
I was wondering about a certain encounter that was just impossible to do stealthily, but I'm not sure if it was bugged or not:

In the sewer, on your way to the radio tower with Sam and Henry, after you get split up: are those infected that look like a cross between a clicker and a runner supposed to hear and see your every move?
They were impossible to evade and if I tried to sneak up on one, he always managed to spot me, even if he had his back to me. There were a lot of them too, so I thought I was supposed to stealth through, but I had to shoot my way through in the end.

Damn, that is the EXACT part I'm at! And they do seem to 'hear' everything.
I was sitting in a corner, not moving when they suddenly got alerted. I tried sneaking up on one of the patrols - They turn around straight away. I tried sneaking me way through, there's a shit ton of them and I've retried like 10-15 times now and running 'works' but when you get to the end it requires a boost / animation / put something in place you can jump on ...

WJD

I just fucking legged it through that bit and threw a few molotovs around.

KOHIPEET

I've just played through the first 25-30 minutes, I barely have words for this. My eyes got wet for christ's sake. Bravo Naughty Dog, Bravo!

Twinduct

The funniest bug I've seen in this game is enemies disappearing during Joel's death scenes. I've had several Clickers kill Joel, only to have the cutscene camera show Joel reacting to an invisible zombie attack.

This also happened once with a (minor spoiler)
Bloater ripping his face in half, which resulted in a terrifying and hilarious shot of Joel's face appearing to explode for no real reason.

Think the best one I saw was using the hearing sense thing and seeing people fall through the map. One guy was still talking 'We're gonna fin...'.

Impressivly the AI still reacted to it, calling out to him and then blaming me :/

she also has a small role in The Avengers as well
I didn't really pay attention to who Ellie was being played by until just now. Ashley Johnson didn't ring a bell, and I probably wouldn't have noticed until you mentioned Avengers and I looked her up.

First time I ever saw her was in Growing Pains until waitressing in Avengers, so now I can only think of her as Chrissy Seaver forever. I loved that show.

What drives me crazy is the way it loads the loading screen. I always get a solid two minutes of pretty guitar and dust/spores before the loading percentage even shows up.
First time I started a new game I thought there was a problem.
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on how this game went head on with the ludonarrative dissonance.
I think Spec Ops: The Line does a better job of making you feel bad for all the people you kill. Speaking of which, there are some things I wish The Last of Us had copied/improved from it.

It's a nice trip so far (45%), but the gameplay is way too repetitive for me. Compared to Uncharted 2, I had more fun with Uncharted 2 I guess.

thefro

Oh stop this defence shit, yes I'm sure they printed a unique copy on to my disc, I'm sure damaged HARDWARE causes enemies to see me through a wall and my copy is up to date. I'm sitting here playing, sat in a corner with enemies on the other side, not moving and they suddenly got alerted -- Fine, a bug.

And don't tell me you haven't experienced slowly creeping up on someone that is patrolling and SUDDENLY they are alerted to you, magically. That has happened at least 10-15 times now. This is all worsened by the fact that when one guy / infected spots you, everybody else is alerted which means you have to burn through the ammo I barely have or fight when is just slapping square a million times and still dying because the 3 other infected hitting me will stop the attack and ultimately a clicker comes up from behind.

I agree on both your points. I understand why they made the clickers able to kill you in one hit (since it makes them legitimately scary) but I don't think it makes for a good difficulty curve for more casual players. I can't see someone I work with who struggled to beat Uncharted 2/3 being able to play this and enjoy himself.

cameron

Damn, that is the EXACT part I'm at! And they do seem to 'hear' everything.
I was sitting in a corner, not moving when they suddenly got alerted. I tried sneaking up on one of the patrols - They turn around straight away. I tried sneaking me way through, there's a shit ton of them and I've retried like 10-15 times now and running 'works' but when you get to the end it requires a boost / animation / put something in place you can jump on ...

The hybrid type infected can still see you via line of sight. If you're sneaking up behind them, there's a small animation window of vulnerability where you can grab them, otherwise they will turn around.

If it helps, I stealthed through the area by hugging the left side, going into the room with shelves, and then up the central stairs. Use a brick to distract. It was tense as fuck, though.

Sethos

Banned
The hybrid type infected can still see you via line of sight. If you're sneaking up behind them, there's a small animation window of vulnerability where you can grab them, otherwise they will turn around.

If it helps, I stealthed through the area by hugging the left side, going into the room with shelves, and then up the central stairs. Use a brick to distract. It was tense as fuck, though.

Actually the ones spotting me when I snuck up behind them weren't clickers or hybrids, just the normal runners patrolling around :/ I've seen almost all types of enemies do this shit now.

I'll try again some day, for now I've had my fill of the game and my frustration meter is running a bit high.

Astery

Speaking of the murdering, I have a question for people who have finished the game.

(END GAME SPOILERS, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED)
Did you kill the doctors at the end?

I didn't want to,
so only the one that is blocking my path for progress. I even tried backing out but the game would not progress lol

Fistwell

The funniest bug I've seen in this game is enemies disappearing during Joel's death scenes. I've had several Clickers kill Joel, only to have the cutscene camera show Joel reacting to an invisible zombie attack.
I've had a couple of enemies literaly running aorund in circles (on several occasions, only 1 at a time). I could walk right up to them and it didn't break their running loop. Had to smack them in the head with a brick or something to jolt them out of it.

Business

When you meet the two brothers. The first time when you get separated you face like 10 infected and you can't really stealth it cause most of them are runners and they see you easily. The part where I'm stuck comes later when Ellie and the little boy get past the door and try to open it from the other side while you and the bigger brother wait and hold off against the infected. I don't have the ability to get away from a clicker by using a shiv and there's 4-5 of them and the area is quite small so it's quite easy for one to grab me which results in insta death. This one time I managed to run around and hold off pretty well but I was on the other side of the room, ie. near the stairs and that area was even more cramped and hence when I tried to run for the door I got grabbed by one of the clickers

Do you have bombs or molotov cocktails?, the first 4 that came in I blew them up with a bomb, some others with molotov cocktails. In the end I was overwhelmed and actually ran out from the room to get some space and then in again if I remember well. A pretty intense moment.

It took me 20 to finish.

Same here. I did 13% in an hour and then it took me 20h for 100%. I took my time looking for supplies though.

-Amon-

Ten hours in, this is till now the best game played this gen.

Only downsides are:

1: the friendly AI wich is undetectable by enemies during the stealth sections
2: At hard difficulty with no listen mode there i'v had a couple of "trial and error" stealth sections.

Apart from that it looks like a real gem. If it continues that way it will be glourious.

Business

Ten hours in, this is till now the best game played this gen.

Only downsides are:

1: the friendly AI wich is undetectable by enemies during the stealth sections
2: At hard difficulty with no listen mode there i'v had a couple of "trial and error" stealth sections.

Apart from that it looks like a real gem. If it continues that way it will be glourious.

I'd say it only improves.

Sidzed2

It's funny, I found the whole game to be great save for the section in the flooded subway tunnel near the beginning. The underwater sections of this game were putrid, and really stood out for me in an otherwise immaculate game.

Astery

I'm not sure if they are stalkers, they just bite my ass and I can't even shiv them (I do have max number of shivs), died a few times which they seem to see/ hear my pretty well for some reason, which then i play a more aggressive stealth kill play style. After a few take downs it seems there are respawns of them so ultimately I just run the hell out of it, killing a few of them while i wait for Sam to climb his slow ass up the ladder at the end of that section.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rented this today after finishing up my one and only exam. Played the first hour.. I'm in awe, that was seriously some impressive shit. Can't wait to play more.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Speaking of interesting bugs, I have three to share:

1. Usually you cant grab one of the guys talking when they enter a scene because they are in a pack and would attack you immediately. In one building, there were a few guys and the guy saying "lets search these rooms" was in another room as the others. I ran to his room and stealth killed him while he was still talking. That deleted all of the other units as well.

2. In a big open area, at around 50%
The scene where Ellie gets the big rifle
. I retried this scene a few times for perfect stealth because it seemed like the game was actively trying to get me to shoot at one point (so that
Ellie can join in
. In one retry all the enemies froze in their tracks and didnt move at all. Made for easy picking them off one by one.

3. In the same area, on another try, I managed to pick off every single enemy stealthily. I noticed that the game then spawns new enemies to attack you when you either a) defeated all the enemies or b) start a fire fight. Since I managed to stealthkill them all (despite the game not planning on me doing that), the reinforcements spawned but were all standing on the same spot on one of the sides without moving or talking.

Not big bugs or anything, but fun to toy around with how the game works exactly.

StuBurns

Banned
The second half of the game outclasses the first half. That's actually something I almost never see, a game that gets consistently better.

Astery

I am stuck in a place full of clickers and I dont have enough ammo!

Clickers are pretty easy in my experience, just crouch and slowly move pass them like nobody. They won't even notice you in 0 distance unless you touch them generally. I hate moving runners a lot more, I can't seem to eliminate them without getting the whole area into crazy mode.

JawzPause

If anyone is interested in what sound to choose, here's a post from a dev during the Uncharted 2 release

Thanks for this. I'm using sennheiser hd205 headphones and I feel so stupid for playing the whole game with midnight on :(
Oh well, didn't subtract from the experience & I'm playing with default settings now :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Clickers are pretty easy in my experience, just crouch and slowly move pass them like nobody. They won't even notice you in 0 distance unless you touch them generally. I hate moving runners a lot more, I can't seem to eliminate them without getting the whole area into crazy mode.

Yep, I started avoiding them as well if its not a region I need to fight in. There are a few areas with ONLY clickers. Easy stealthing by.

1. Usually you cant grab one of the guys talking when they enter a scene because they are in a pack and would attack you immediately. In one building, there were a few guys and the guy saying "lets search these rooms" was in another room as the others. I ran to his room and stealth killed him while he was still talking. That deleted all of the other units as well.

. I retried this scene a few times for perfect stealth because it seemed like the game was actively trying to get me to shoot at one point (so that
Ellie can join in
. In one retry all the enemies froze in their tracks and didnt move at all. Made for easy picking them off one by one.

3. In the same area, on another try, I managed to pick off every single enemy stealthily. I noticed that the game then spawns new enemies to attack you when you either a) defeated all the enemies or b) start a fire fight. Since I managed to stealthkill them all (despite the game not planning on me doing that), the reinforcements spawned but were all standing on the same spot on one of the sides without moving or talking.

Not big bugs or anything, but fun to toy around with how the game works exactly.

One bug that I had some fun trying out is buy killing one enemy and running the hell away. They will take turns guarding the same point over and over, as I killed all of them in the same spot.

And this is playing on hard mode.

A bit into Winter

Well holy shit (late Fall spoiler)...I literally stood up in a panic when
Joel got impaled. I really thought he was going to die there and we'd play the rest of the game as Ellie. Maybe my prediction isn't that far off.

But for a video game to cause that kind of reaction...ND did an amazing job developing the characters, cause I actually care for them

Oh and yeah Ellie is a badass

anddo0

So when are they going to fix the load times?
I just clocked the game at six minutes loading :/

how in the hell does this happen?

Drek

I struggled with the clickers there quite a bit too, mostly getting through the filler enemies to get to them honestly. The assets in that room if I recall are 3 shotguns hells inside the 'L' of the tables and a baseball bat on the bench alongside the lockers between the two doors.

Have the shotgun and the shorty as your long and short guns respectively (if you have extra holsters the rifle and the revolver should be option B on both). If you have time modify your melee weapon so it one hit kills, by now you quite possibly have two kills per mod for that.

Start with nail bombs at the doors (I think there are some mats for these near the shotgun ammo), just one each. Have molotovs equipped and use them on anything that steps through a doorway. If you get any kind of gap in the waves get the additional nail bomb out if you have three to start. If you have a modded melee weapon use it quickly to take out runners ASAP, if not brick and bat one quickly. Either way don't go into multi-hit melee combat with them. Switch to the shotgun or shorty and with your back to the door work to clear the room, prioritizing any clickers who come in. If the three rounds of shotgun ammo in the room is all you've got for either of these two guns then clear runners with the pistol or revolver and switch to the shotgun specifically for clickers.

The nail bombs and molotovs make a HUGE difference here. Don't plan to leave the room with any of either left in your inventory.

Toma

So when are they going to fix the load times?
I just clocked the game at six minutes loading :/

how in the hell does this happen?

Curious, retail release? My load times (Download version) are rather snappy. 15 seconds maybe.

Ellie can join in

I only had two none gameplay-effecting bugs:

-One of the times when I moved a pallet on water to the destination for Ellie... as soon as the pallet locked into place it then went way under water and then slowly went back up and then Ellie jumped off.
(END OF GAME SPOILER)
-
When you are running with Ellie in your arms at the end... the entire sequence is effectively just smoke and mirrors. If you slow walk to the exit the guards will chill out behind you, slowly walking behind you which is pretty funny. The bug was that if you die during this point (at least when I did) all of the textures disappeared and the death scene played with an ugly grey and blue texture in the background.

Top Bottom