• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Cesar

Banned
Either I'm doing it completely wrong or ('burbs)
this bit where I have run at the sniper in the house is annoying as fuck.

One small complaint, this game takes an absolute age to boot up and actually get into any action.

If you are running at him, you're doing it wrong. Be sneaky.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The difference between decent speakers and a decent headset is so great that I almost want to start the game over and replay it because I feel like I missed out on so much.

I've been playing the game with these:

tumblr_lyr5he2iR21qz4mo8o1_1280.jpg

The sound and music in this game is phenomenal.

Winter spoilers...

Well damn...that was the most scripted but totally felt unscripted moment I ever played in a game

Playing as Ellie, hunting the deer. At first I thought it would be scripted and I'd kill with a shot and there'd be a cutscene or something. Then I hit it and it bolted. Started following the blood trail.

Then I missed the next few. Now I'm thinking, cool, ok...seems unscripted, pretty fun, big open area

Then I go a little bit more and see the building and where the deer goes. Then the cutscene plays. And I realize that whole encounter was scripted to get you to that area.

That was just so perfectly crafted and scripted, that I never felt guided or led to a particular area. Very impressive. And really that whole part felt more authentic and realistic and tense than Tomb Raider ever did

Astery

I struggled with the clickers there quite a bit too, mostly getting through the filler enemies to get to them honestly. The assets in that room if I recall are 3 shotguns hells inside the 'L' of the tables and a baseball bat on the bench alongside the lockers between the two doors.

Have the shotgun and the shorty as your long and short guns respectively (if you have extra holsters the rifle and the revolver should be option B on both). If you have time modify your melee weapon so it one hit kills, by now you quite possibly have two kills per mod for that.

Start with nail bombs at the doors (I think there are some mats for these near the shotgun ammo), just one each. Have molotovs equipped and use them on anything that steps through a doorway. If you get any kind of gap in the waves get the additional nail bomb out if you have three to start. If you have a modded melee weapon use it quickly to take out runners ASAP, if not brick and bat one quickly. Either way don't go into multi-hit melee combat with them. Switch to the shotgun or shorty and with your back to the door work to clear the room, prioritizing any clickers who come in. If the three rounds of shotgun ammo in the room is all you've got for either of these two guns then clear runners with the pistol or revolver and switch to the shotgun specifically for clickers.

The nail bombs and molotovs make a HUGE difference here. Don't plan to leave the room with any of either left in your inventory.

I remember this part, it gets crazy and I cleared the area with almost nothing left. But yes,
nail bombs and molotovs at mid phase, throwing them at the clickers should do

Drek

I'm 9 hours in and only 49% complete. Does the completion rate goes faster later on or is the game actually longer than what was reported?

It took me 18:46 to get through the game. I did quite a good bit of exploring and found the majority of collectibles but didn't get everything by any means.

Drencrom

After starting my survivor run and putting down some good hours into the MP I have to say this is one of the best games this gen. Definitely one of my favourite games now.

Ourobolus

Banned
Made it to
Winter
this weekend. Holy shit this game is just fantastic. Some of the graphics, even in the cutscenes, are out of this world. When they
drive by the buildings on the way into
Pittsburgh, it seemed really close to reality.

Anyway, my only major gripe with the game is the forced combat sections. Not the ones where you can stealthily take out everyone, but the ones when the enemy is already in alert mode and you can't fist-fight your way out of it. I guess I understand that the devs want you to use your resources, not just hoard, but sometimes it's annoying. The biggest offender so far was
the part where you go through the sewers, then was through a ton that has damn near ZERO ammo, then enter the sniper firefight.
Luckily I had been hoarding, but still, I thought I was gonna run out at some point.

Other than that though...wow. Just a simply amazing game.

Curious, retail release? My load times (Download version) are rather snappy. 15 seconds maybe.

WAT

The initial campaign load? Mine isn't 6 minutes, but it definitely gets into the 2.5 to 3 minute range. It's takes like 45 seconds for the progress percentage to even show up.

Drek

I remember this part, it gets crazy and I cleared the area with almost nothing left. But yes,
nail bombs and molotovs at mid phase, throwing them at the clickers should do

I like nail bombs to start on the door ways, buys a bit of extra time and thins out the first wave enough to make melee on at least one enemy viable, but yes, after that mixing guns and molotovs to kill enemies (saving molotovs and shotgun/shorty primarily for clickers unless you have a nice stock of each) is the way to survive.

It is definitely a "you will survive, but kiss your nicely loaded pack goodbye" moment.

Made it to
Winter
this weekend. Holy shit this game is just fantastic. Some of the graphics, even in the cutscenes, are out of this world. When they
drive by the buildings on the way into
Pittsburgh, it seemed really close to reality.

Anyway, my only major gripe with the game is the forced combat sections. Not the ones where you can stealthily take out everyone, but the ones when the enemy is already in alert mode and you can't fist-fight your way out of it. I guess I understand that the devs want you to use your resources, not just hoard, but sometimes it's annoying. The biggest offender so far was
the part where you go through the sewers, then was through a ton that has damn near ZERO ammo, then enter the sniper firefight.
Luckily I had been hoarding, but still, I thought I was gonna run out at some point.

Other than that though...wow. Just a simply amazing game.

I felt like that was kind of the point to that part of the game. Up to the
sewers you were just getting comfortable travelling with Henry and Sam, when you meet them you do a lot of walk and talk through buildings that gets you pretty geared up, and exiting Pittsburgh doesn't use resources as much as you just run from the .50 cal. So then you get into the sewers and start cleaning up on this former safe house, really getting stocked up. It makes you feel like your newly doubled team size is pretty bad ass. That's when they flip the page on you and hammer you hard for getting a feeling of confidence and ease by first splitting you up, then draining your resources in a forced encounter when they put you back together.

To me the entire point to the combat system is forcing you out of your comfort zone. most games like this let you comfortably live on just one or two weapons. Hell, many now only let you carry two weapons at a time. The Last of Us lets you carry every weapon and have ammo for every weapon, but continues to teach you the penalties for being overly specialized in your use of them. My mindset was always "if it's at full ammo it gets used before any gun that isn't" because of this, and the same with bombs/molotovs/shivs/etc.. If I had full mats for a certain craft item that item was killing the next enemy I needed removed, no matter how I had to work the situation to make that happen. Hell, there were points where I intentionally ran into melee combat knowing it would cost me health simply because I just passed rags + alcohol and had full medkits and materials. Then after killing the enemies I healed, crafted more medkits, and backtracked for the materials.

The story in this game is just god damn phenomenal and this is from someone who finds story lines to be seriously lacking in gaming.naughty dog should really be proud of themselves for what they have created and should win each and every award associated with emotion for a game this year

But several people have mentioned it in the thread, so let's not play the "Must be you" game.

Are we talking about the creepers? Cause their had turns around like crazy and that matters. It's never safe with those guys. Other than that, and other enemies spotting you while you are sneaking up on someone else, I never had it happen either.

WJD

Early weapon spoiler:

The bow is ridiculously fun to use.

edit: although I did just shoot Ellie in the face with it by accident and now she's walking round with it poking out of her ear.

Tankshell

Random tip regarding the autosave system I have been using:

• Make 2 manual saves. Keep a "backup" save in slot 1 that you never actually load and play from. Then instantly keep another save of the same place in slot 2, and make sure to play from this one by default.
  • Now if you fuck things up and the game autosaves your progress (in slot 2 becuase that is the one you last saved/loaded), you can "reset" back to your last manual unaffected "backup" save (in slot 1) and continue onward.

This works great and has saved me much pain so far (56% ish into the game).

cameron

3. In the same area, on another try, I managed to pick off every single enemy stealthily. I noticed that the game then spawns new enemies to attack you when you either a) defeated all the enemies or b) start a fire fight. Since I managed to stealthkill them all (despite the game not planning on me doing that), the reinforcements spawned but were all standing on the same spot on one of the sides without moving or talking.

Yes. This is a bit of the smoke and mirrors that was poorly executed. I experienced 3 human encounters where stealth killing everyone in the area and then looking around for supplies leads to discovering "spawn points" where the enemy just stands there, looking forward, gun pointed (like spawning in Counter Strike). These dudes weren't there before/during the initial encounter, so they obviously spawned after you killed the first batch. In Uncharted, the second wave of enemies usually flow out of a door or over a high wall, while in TLoU a few encounters just have the enemy spawn at a corner.

Also, a similar nitpick is in the E3 demo area. If you stealth kill everyone but the last guy on a floor (e.g. the last guy is patrolling between two rooms), and you alert this last guy during close quarters in one room, another guy will spawn immediately in the next room. The new guy will come in running in an attempt to melee you. I understand the design decision behind it, but this wouldn't be too bad if you hadn't just checked the nearby area and knew that there was no one but that one guy left.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
WAT

The initial campaign load? Mine isn't 6 minutes, but it definitely gets into the 2.5 to 3 minute range. It's takes like 45 seconds for the progress percentage to even show up.

Every load time is super fast for me. Well not DS flash cart fast, but certainly super fast compared to what some guys are reporting here.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
But several people have mentioned it in the thread, so let's not play the "Must be you" game.

Guards are alerted if they find a dead body and then go looking for you. When I hid the bodies (carry them before killing) to safe areas, this didnt happen to me either. Guess its easy to miss that point and probably the biggest reason for the confusion people are experiencing with this.

Sethos

Banned
Guards are alerted if they find a dead body and then go looking for you. When I hid the bodies (carry them before killing) to safe areas, this didnt happen to me either. Guess its easy to miss that point and probably the biggest reason for the confusion people are experiencing with this.

I think you are misunderstanding. It's when you sneak up behind someone, they suddenly turn around in an alerted state like they saw you despite only being halfway through their patrol route.

Has been mentioned several times in this thread and I know a few people know what I mean;

Has happened to me times and again.

Toma

I think you are misunderstanding. It's when you sneak up behind someone, they suddenly turn around in an alerted state like they saw you despite only being halfway through their patrol route.

Has been mentioned several times in this thread and I know a few people know what I mean;

Ah, well that happens because the guards are hearing you I guess. They can also hear you sneaking if you are too close and not sneaking slower than the "fastest" sneaking speed. Additionally, they seem to get aware of you if you stand too long too close to them or follow them closely for too long.

That particular problem didnt happen to me anymore once I started sneaking slower sometimes at least.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Honestly, I never got hang of the bow. It was difficult to determine the trajectory arc. Does it get better after you upgrade it? I felt the one in Tomb Raider was more enjoyable to use.

Sethos

Banned
Ah, well that happens because the guards are hearing you I guess. They can also hear you sneaking if you are too close and not sneaking slower than the "fastest" sneaking speed. Additionally, they seem to get aware of you if you stand too long too close to them or follow them closely for too long.

That particular problem didnt happen to me anymore once I started sneaking slower sometimes at least.

No, it happens because it's a bug. Not everything in this game has an explanation.

It's not like I run up to them, knocking over bottles and then start wondering why they saw me.

Ezi0

I completed this on the weekend. One of the best games I've ever played. A phenomenal experience from start to finish.

Also the melee combat in this game is so satisfying :D.

Ourobolus

Banned
Also, I'm so pissed that I missed the safe in the hotel. I saw it, and thought I had explored everywhere, but I triggered the next bit of story before I found the combo. Goddammit.

NekoFever

Early weapon spoiler:

edit: although I did just shoot Ellie in the face with it by accident and now she's walking round with it poking out of her ear.
I only discovered how useful it was in the winter chapter. Now I'm using it on stationary enemies all the time.

Toma

No, it happens because it's a bug. Not everything in this game has an explanation.

It's not like I run up to them, knocking over bottles and then start wonder why they saw me.

Not saying it cant be a bug, but as far as I am concerned there very well could be some things people are missing, as in dont stand too close to someone without grabbing them for a long time and dont sneak too fast. The game even explains it to you that sneaking fast might still get you heard (in the case of clickers), so these are some possible explanations that might apply here as well.

Could be a bug though as you said, but since I got aware of this issue and play in accordance with my findings and theories about it, it didnt happen to me anymore *shrug*. Not everything in this game has to be a bug, maybe its just poorly explained to the player.

Sethos

Banned
Not saying it cant be a bug, but as far as I am concerned there very well could be some things people are missing, as in dont stand too close to someone without grabbing them for a long time and dont sneak too fast. The game even explains it to you that sneaking fast might still get you heard (in the case of clickers), so these are some possible explanations that might apply here as well.

Could be a bug though as you said, but since I got aware of this issue and play in accordance with my findings and theories about it, it didnt happen to me anymore *shrug*. Not everything in this game has to be a bug.

I already know what alerts them. I don't sneak too fast, I don't sit behind them for an hour hoping they won't spot me. I'm doing the exact same move on 20 enemies but on the 21st enemy I can sneak up behind me as he's walking away and BAM alert. There's NOTHING that should alert him at that point and it's another element to make 'stealth' frustrating.

And equally, not everything should be defended and have an explanation. The game is not perfect, it has bugs.

cameron

Honestly, I never got hang of the bow. It was difficult to determine the trajectory arc. Does it get better after you upgrade it? I felt the one in Tomb Raider was more enjoyable to use.

You don't really have to think about the arc. A fuzzy green dot appears at the end of the arc and gets bigger, which let's you know if it'll hit a subject. You mostly have to lead a moving target.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I've been playing the game with these:

tumblr_lyr5he2iR21qz4mo8o1_1280.jpg

The sound and music in this game is phenomenal.

Yeah, I am playing with these
Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-XP-Seven-Gaming-Headset-the-set.jpg

Wouldn't play it any other way.

The sound design in this game is unbelievable, and essential to immersion.

Toma

I already know what alerts them. I don't sneak too fast, I don't sit behind them for an hour hoping they won't spot me. I'm doing the exact same move on 20 enemies but on the 21st enemy I can sneak up behind me as he's walking away and BAM alert. There's NOTHING that should alert him at that point and it's another element to make 'stealth' frustrating.

It also "could" be a feature to make areas a bit less predictable and to allow for some unexpected things to happen. Like say a 3% chance that a guard notices you creeping up on him, forcing you into a fire fight.

It would be a bit annoying, but since they obviously planned some areas to start you into fire fights, it wouldnt be all that far fetched for them to include something like that.

Still wouldnt be a bug then :p As I said, it COULD be a bug, but it doesnt need to be. There is a chance that something is at work here that we dont know yet, and there is also the chance that its actually a planned feature.

red731

Also, I'm so pissed that I missed the safe in the hotel. I saw it, and thought I had explored everywhere, but I triggered the next bit of story before I found the combo. Goddammit.

Tell me about it. I've searched for some piece of paper in that area but haven't found anything... I have some suspicion where it might be, but I will wait to get there again in NG+.

Sethos

Banned
It also "could" be a feature to make areas a bit less predictable and to allow for some unexpected things to happen. Like say a 3% chance that a guard notices you creeping up on him, forcing you into a fire fight.

Which would be atrociously bad game design for a game like this. Barely any ammunition, limited health and medkits and one alert triggers EVERYONE in the area - I really doubt ND would be that obtuse. I'll say it's a bug in many of my cases.

Toma

Is the bow one-shot kill or another sponge weapon?

Its the only weapon with higher damage if shot from a stealth position, leading to many one shot kills, especially when hitting the heads.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
You don't really have to think about the arc. A fuzzy green dot appears at the end of the arc and gets bigger, which let's you know if it'll hit a subject. You mostly have to lead a moving target.
Ah, thanks. Dunno how I missed that.

Headshots can usually take out enemies in a single hit. Never tried with a clicker though but works with runners and humans.

Drek

I don't think it's a guaranteed 1:1 as I've used more than one arrow to kill someone before, but when stealth the one shot kill window seems pretty large. I've hit enemies in the upper chest, neck, and head for one shot kills. I started out always aiming for the skull but after a bit of practice I ended up aiming for more like the collar bone to neck area, seemed to be the sweet spot for me.

Should probably start using it more then. I just hate bows in games and tend to not use them, but if it helps me.

Its probably my favorite weapon in the game. So good. Very tactile feel to shooting it, chance to recover your arrows, and once you level it up at a work bench it's got some damn nice range.

They will one shot a clicker in the head BTW, I've done it quite a bit.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, nothing like the 3 hit clicker kill with a brick.

Bricks are pretty much my favorite weapon. Unlimited supply, and if you melee with them it's a kill. Love them.

Not to mention stunning from afar, then hauling ass straight up to them and punching them to death.

Toma

Should probably start using it more then. I just hate bows in games and tend to not use them, but if it helps me.

Its my favourite weapon since it has high damage while stealthing, makes no noise and has retrievable ammunition (50% or something).

cameron

It's lots of fun. I used it quite a bit whenever I panicked trying to stealth past the infected. There's also a chance (dice roll?) you can recover the arrow.

Astery

Early weapon spoiler:

you monster!

the bow is my most beloved weapon for stealth. Well, not like there's another better choice imo.

It frustrates me to recover back the arrows as sometimes they break and sometimes they don't, and you won't really know it until you go wiggle the corpse all over until the indicator pops up that you can grab it back.

Just checking in to say that this game is truly amazing on all fronts...I can’t stop playing...

Also...it needs to be said a thousand times - the feel and sounds of the guns is GOD TIER!

JB1981

Really enjoying this game on Hard with the hearing function disabled. The encounters are so friggin intense. The times that I have died I have not felt frustrated by the game because in almost all cases I should have planned a better strategy.

I am not happy with how long the initial load times are though. I guess this is the trade-off for a virtually seamless world with no loading.

Astery

clickers from bows takes 2 hits actually, unless I'm doing something wrong (headshot still requires 2 hits, part of the fungus just get ripped away with the 1st like armor)

Toma

clickers from bows takes 2 hits actually, unless I'm doing something wrong (headshot still requires 2 hits, part of the fungus just get ripped away with the 1st like armor)

Might be a bit of a random chance for damage. I know I stealth 1 hit killed clickers in the head sometimes with it.

pa22word

Okay, I bought the OST on amazon and am having trouble sorting through it since it seems like it's just minor variations of the main themes and battle themes alternating or something. Can anyone else with the ost please list which of the tracks are explicitly gameplay (battle/sneaking/etc) themes? I'm looking for one in particular that I really liked, but having trouble finding it in the ost due to the way it's set up.

Might be a bit of a random chance for damage. I know I stealth 1 hit killed clickers in the head sometimes with it.

Every headshot with the bow I ever fired at a non-agro'd clicker was always a OHKO. Body shots just seemed to piss them off >.>

Top Bottom