• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just checking in to say that this game is truly amazing on all fronts...I can’t stop playing...

Also...it needs to be said a thousand times - the feel and sounds of the guns is GOD TIER!

Not only the guns, every bit about the sound design is the best in the industry. People can argue about AI, bugs and whatever they want, but the sound design is the best in any videogame to date. Not even a competition there.

Ourobolus

Banned
clickers from bows takes 2 hits actually, unless I'm doing something wrong (headshot still requires 2 hits, part of the fungus just get ripped away with the 1st like armor)

I've definitely one-shot clickers with the bow. Maybe the window to hit them is small?

Cesar

Banned
Man, the online part isn't working for me. Yesterday it froze during the "connecting" bar at the start, couldn't even quit the game with my controller, had the reset the PS3. The second time it worked, tried a match, but when the loading of the map was done I "lost connection with the host". It tried to play a match 4 times, every time I lost the connection before the match started....I gave up and thought, I'll try it again tomorrow. Today it froze again while the connection bar was filling up. Tried it a second time, locked up again....also the music in the online menu is very choppy.

I really want to try out the online mode but I can't get it to work. Anyone else got this problem?

StuBurns

Banned
Fall spoilers:

They're even going to Colorado? This is The Passage in videogame form!
The reminded me, for all the talk of The Road, the first half is remarkably inline with Children of Men, so I kind of thought the whole McCarthy thing was misleading, but the second half was much more like what I expected given those references.

Doran902

Game had an amazing opening.

After about 2 hours after that I was getting this feeling of, wow they peaked with that opening and I don't know if they can follow up on that.

Then at about the 3 hour mark it just goes crazy and snowballs and gets better and better.

I was legit worried there for a couple hours that I was being let down by the hype but it really does pick up again and become amazing.

Even the art, I don't know if it was planned or not but the art seems to be improving over time with better more detailed textures and lighting.

This could be my Resident Evil 4 of this gen, hopefully its half as replayable for me as RE4 was.

BeeDog

This game nails the feeling of the shotgun and especially the shorty. Damn, when you blow up an infected up-close and it gibs... Jesus.

WJD

The reminded me, for all the talk of The Road, the first half is remarkably inline with Children of Men, so I kind of thought the whole McCarthy thing was misleading, but the second half was much more like what I expected given those references.

Definitely. Lots of subtle and not so subtle inspiration from all the right post-apocalyptic stories and it all works so well.

Yep. Pretty sure the game is selling very well. I went to Best Buy on Saturday and there was like 3 copies left.

I rang a Gametraders in Melbourne today to see if they had any of the Joel or Ellie editions in (they often order in special editions from other retailers) and not only did they not have any Special Editions but they had sold out of every standard copy in the store.

This video game is really good, guys.

Finished last night and enjoyed almost every minute of it.. There were some combat parts that I didn't really feel like doing, but overall this game is damn good.

I legit teared up at
the opening sequence. A game has never done that to me and movies hardly ever do. Some heavy stuff.

Don't know if I feel like getting into the multiplayer though.. Might try it out this week.

Astery

Might be a bit of a random chance for damage. I know I stealth 1 hit killed clickers in the head sometimes with it.

Every headshot with the bow I ever fired at a non-agro'd clicker was always a OHKO. Body shots just seemed to piss them off >.>

I've definitely one-shot clickers with the bow. Maybe the window to hit them is small?

Not sure, I did one shot clickers too but most of the time it's 2 hits for me. I've tried moving into right in front of a standing clicker in the
house where only about 5 non agro clickers are standing all around
scene, shoot them right in the face which I assume is the weakest part with a full tension bow and then I get chewed up after alerting it without getting it killed.
:(

StuBurns

Banned
Definitely. Lots of subtle and not so subtle inspiration from all the right post-apocalyptic stories and it all works so well.
Yea, it's a pretty major achievement I think. To see films like The Road and No Country and decide you want to build a game that feels like that. Takes some serious stones. And it certainly does that, the ending screams McCarthy.

It's funny, the scene in The Road in the house with the crazy basement, which I imagine is the basic inspiration for the stealth design, was very different in the book.

ttocs

I picked up a Pulse Elite headset over the weekend to play this game and the sound truly blew me away. They did one heck of a job on the ambient sound of the world and the infected. Even the banter is amazing.

Fistwell

Any tips for the Winter section where you
have to hold your ground in the room with David
? I've died like six times already
Right after the cutscene where they
chitchat around the fire
? There's a
medpack in a locker
. I tried to save rifle rounds for clickers. It was kind of a bitch, took me several tries.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's funny, the scene in The Road in the house with the crazy basement, which I imagine is the basic inspiration for the stealth design, was very different in the book.

The Road is one of my favorite books of all time. I will have to rewatch the movie, I netflixed it a while back. I remember liking it, but not near as much as the book.

Right after the cutscene where they
chitchat around the fire
? There's a
medpack in a locker
. I tried to save rifle rounds for clickers. It was kind of a bitch, took me several tries.
No...after that, when
you enter the room with the dead guy in it and you craft nail bombs. David's like it's a dead end, we have to fight. That part

Ezio

Got it Friday and got to play for a few hours. Loving it so far, sound, voice acting etc. is all amazing so far.

daveo42

Banned
So, I played nonstop yesterday after putting it off all weekend (thanks FFXIV). Oh wow this game on pretty much all fronts. The sound design, the lighting, the visuals are all amazing. Combat is equally great, though it's pissed me off a few times after replaying a certain section. This game is pretty unforgiving if you mess up.

I think the stealth combat is probably my favorite in any ND game, and pretty much any game this gen. It just works as intended and the game pretty much favors it over a traditional run-and-gun method that most games go for.

The story is just as exciting and amazing. It's been some time since I've sat for hours on end playing a story-driven game. I usually tend to take breaks after a few hours, but I plowed through 3/4 of the game in one sitting. It's phenominal story telling that's well paced. I only wish I could have finished it last night.

Story point:
Just made it to Winter and I'm wanting to get back to Joel soon. That scene at the college, I'm just surprised that he's still alive after that whole incident.

I already know what alerts them. I don't sneak too fast, I don't sit behind them for an hour hoping they won't spot me. I'm doing the exact same move on 20 enemies but on the 21st enemy I can sneak up behind me as he's walking away and BAM alert. There's NOTHING that should alert him at that point and it's another element to make 'stealth' frustrating.

And equally, not everything should be defended and have an explanation. The game is not perfect, it has bugs.

I am well aware this game has bugs, I had an enemy spawn right on top one that I had killed. The alerting however, can be due to multiple things so saying "happened to other people" doesn't really mean much. How do you know it wasn't another enemy that spotted you for example? Or even people assuming that's just the body direction that matters when infact, it's the head.

DatDude

Banned
I just completed the game/

16 hours and 46 minutes to complete it.

I'm still taking in everything I experienced. On one hand I'm not sure if I'll ever replay this game again. The beginning section was quite boring, and there are quite a few encounters that are just plain out frustrating, and would be a pain to experience again. Also the exploration felt lackluster. Mainly in part because the environment itself just didn't lend itself to exploration all to well. Also I think atmosphere wise, it's really missing an extra UMPH. Certain levels excelled really greatly, but then there are other levels that just felt to samey, and been there done that from previous levels.

That said, even with all my cons, I found this game to be magnificent. The performance of Troy Baker, and Ashley Johnson will be a cornerstone for what video games can achieve in voice acting, and general performance. An the narrative, while predictable a lot of the times, was something that constantly pulled you in and something that you always wanted to see more of.

At the end of the day, this game excels more so in this factor than any other game before which is: Heart.

I'm still processing a lot of what I've experienced in this long, and at times draining journey, but I still feel that I played something unique and special. A masterpiece? No. But a great foundation for Naughty Dog to potentially create one with a sequel.

Doran902

so many moments in this game make me feel like i'm in the scene in jurassic park where the kids are stuck in the kitchen trying to avoid the raptors

its glorious

DatDude

Banned
I'm not going to lie the more I think about it, the more I wish the game was more condensed. There's just to many long stretches of exploration, mixed with long stretches of combat. I honestly felt it never really found a middle ground there.

Also, I might get flack for this, but I think I would've prefered to watch this as a film than play it as a game.

-Amon-

I'm not going to lie the more I think about it, the more I wish the game was more condensed. There's just to many long stretches of exploration, mixed with long stretches of combat.

I do not agree. Passing lots of time without anyone around gives a sense of loneliness and isolation that add to the experience and at the same time helps building tension for the encounters ahead. Every time you see something moving you expect for the worst, and that happens because you spent lot of time alone before.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So after 2 to 3 hours. I'm already feeling like the game suffers from Uncharted™ syndrome. The amount of killing I've done so far feels strongly dissonant from the narrative itself, I appreciate how Joel controls compared to Nathan Drake.. feels much closer to a every-man.. even if he's doing some crazy shit already.;p

BigTnaples

I'm not going to lie the more I think about it, the more I wish the game was more condensed. There's just to many long stretches of exploration, mixed with long stretches of combat. I honestly felt it never really found a middle ground there.

Also, I might get flack for this, but I think I would've preferred to watch this as a film than play it as a game.

Yeah, I am only 60% through the game but I massively disagree.

This is one game, much like Bioshock 1 and Infinite, that I think NEED's to be interactive to function.

This game is all about the atmosphere, and feeling like you are making life and death decisions.

Watching them be made for you would ruin what as of now is an achievement.

DatDude

Banned
So after 2 to 3 hours. I'm already feeling like the game suffers from Uncharted™ syndrome. The amount of killing I've done so far feels strongly dissonant from the narrative itself, I appreciate how Joel controls compared to Nathan Drake.. feels much closer to a every-man.. even if he's doing some crazy shit already.;p

Not to worry. This game is like the anti-uncharted syndrome.

Wait till you get to the Winter Chapter, and lets have a discussion than yeah?

Doran902

At least this world the killing is more believable than in Uncharted. Everyone wants your shit to survive and they will kill you for it.

Also you do have the option to stealth / avoid a lot of these encounters. (not all, some rooms they force you to clear out).

It helps me to think of it in terms of how much times passes also, it may feel like they are encountering things every 10 min while playing but in narrative terms its more spread out and paced better.

Marleyman

Banned
Just got into Pittsburgh, where I am from, and the attention to detail is pretty solid. They are very faithful to the city in some parts but not for others; minor thing, but being from here I noticed it.

Not only the guns, every bit about the sound design is the best in the industry. People can argue about AI, bugs and whatever they want, but the sound design is the best in any videogame to date. Not even a competition there.

The sound design here is just on another level. I didn’t know videogames could even sound this good! My draw dropped when I went through a metal crate whilst it was raining...it truly sounded like it was raining outside my window.

DatDude

Banned
I think some of my annoyances just come with these scenarios.
'
Low supplies, low ammo. You have to stealth, right? I'm not much of a stealth guy, really not my thing.

An certain scenarios in the Spring Chapter were just so damn frustrating. Especially the one's with the clickers and the 2 big one's, and the last scenario at the end.

Just so much dying. I died over 200 times in this game. I never felt safe, thus I never felt like I got to appreciate the world I was in.

That's why I hate death in games. It ruins the pacing, and you can't absorb the world any better. Instead, your main concern is about surviving until the next encounter.

That's why Bioshock remains one of my favorite games up till this day. Vita chambers took the concept of death to the way side, allowing you to absorb and appreciate the atmosphere and the world of rapture as much as possible.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
At least this world the killing is more believable than in Uncharted. Everyone wants your shit to survive and they will kill you for it.
Yeah I'll definitely give it that. Plus if you look in the context of Joel's characterization and what he's actually experienced in the story at this point, I'd imagine he's a pretty hardened individual.;p

BigTnaples

The audio in this game is like no other. It truly is. Everything that comes out of the speakers in this game needs to win some kind of award.

Just checking in to say that this game is truly amazing on all fronts...I can’t stop playing...

Also...it needs to be said a thousand times - the feel and sounds of the guns is GOD TIER!

This this this.

The audio in this game is insanity. Pure bliss.

One thing I have noticed, as a gun collector, gunshots in this game actually leave my ears ringing.(Surround headset) They do indeed sound more like actual gunshots than most games/ movies.

Fistwell

No...after that, when
you enter the room with the dead guy in it and you craft nail bombs. David's like it's a dead end, we have to fight. That part
There I got nothing. Was kinda tough. I noticed enemies drop a lot of ammo, ended up picking their pockets for several minutes after I made it through. Make sure to keep at least a
molotov
for the end as you get a
floater thingy
to wrap things up. Also, a lot of them tend to slowly slip through the openings above windows, you can line up your shot waiting for them to drop down as they just fall in a straight line.

But yeah, that was a doozy.

Going to start this tonight. What's the consensus on difficulty? Is it worth starting on hard?
I've been playing on normal. Combat hasn't been too hard or too easy. Been mostly drowning in supplies however, which has made things maybe a little too comfortable.

BigTnaples

Going to start this tonight. What's the consensus on difficulty? Is it worth starting on hard?

Yes certainly is. Planning a Survivalist New Game+ playthrough when I am done on hard.

There are a few sections that are a bit hard, but nothing too bad. (So far at 60somthing% completion.)

Top Bottom