• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Shinta

Banned
Honestly, killing clickers is 90% of the time not worth it. You can move through any section with them without a fight, and no matter what a fight is going to cost you resources. What part are you at (in spoilers) maybe someone here can point you to the exit?

Thanks. I just found it, after walking right past that part probably 10x.

I'm in "downtown." It looks like some kind of subway terminal. There was a ladder up above I was supposed to pull down, but it wasn't even in view at all. I'm just surprised. I only noticed the small triangle icon after going past that area a ton of times.

It's right when you first get the molotov. I guess they wanted you to use it on the clicker, because there is one right there. So you basically have to kill it to move on. I was trying to avoid killing them and I was saving the molotov. I can see now what they had in mind, but it was not very clear to me at the time.

Effnine

Quick question: If I beat the game on Hard, do I get the Tags for beating it on Normal/Easy, like in Uncharted? Or do I have to go back and do the easier difficulties?

Yes, you get all of them. I beat it on Hard and the trophies for normal and easy popped up after.

smr00

Banned
Stuck on
crazy man trapped me in this restaurant, i assume i need his keys? But how? The guy sees me every time i sneak up on him :(

StuBurns

Banned
Stuck on
crazy man trapped me in this restaurant, i assume i need his keys? But how? The guy sees me every time i sneak up on him :(
I don't think there's much advice for that, just sneak up better. Watch out for shit on the floor though, if you stand on broken plates, it makes a noise.

Shinta

Banned
What is the deal with the zombies that
literally just stand there and don't seem to hear or see well? Am I missing something, or they just sit and wait for you walk up to them?
Not trying to sound flippant, just honestly wondering.

Flo_Evans

I think some of my annoyances just come with these scenarios.
'
Low supplies, low ammo. You have to stealth, right? I'm not much of a stealth guy, really not my thing.

An certain scenarios in the Spring Chapter were just so damn frustrating. Especially the one's with the clickers and the 2 big one's, and the last scenario at the end.

Just so much dying. I died over 200 times in this game. I never felt safe, thus I never felt like I got to appreciate the world I was in.

That's why I hate death in games. It ruins the pacing, and you can't absorb the world any better. Instead, your main concern is about surviving until the next encounter.

That's why Bioshock remains one of my favorite games up till this day. Vita chambers took the concept of death to the way side, allowing you to absorb and appreciate the atmosphere and the world of rapture as much as possible.

Honest question since I haven't played Bioshock since the 1st one, but aren't the vita chambers just a sci-fi spin on checkpoints?

Seems like you are not a fan of the "insta-death" fail state of being caught by an infected?

Stuck on
Use listen mode and watch for the broken plates on the floor. As soon as you see his back turned, sneak up and knife him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I played quite a bit of BF and its pretty good, but not this good. BF misses a lot of the nuances at work here.
They're trying to accomplish very different things. The sound design in BF games is phenomenal, but there are lots of times in TLoU where the actual noise level is close to silent except for very distinct, "what was that" noises and ambient features like breathing, insects and water splashing. The
groaning of strained metal beams- or is that infected around the corner??- amid the sloshing through waist-high water
in the hotel is really out of this world.

Flo_Evans

Actually the exits tend to be pretty obviously marked with in-world iconography that you learn to see. Can you describe more specifically where you are with spoiler tags and, rather than telling you where to go, I'll help point out what in the game world might be indicating it for you?

There are lots of high-tension sections but nothing insurmountable on the first try with good planning, accurate shooting or quick improvisation. "Tedious" is actually damn low of the list of words I'd use to describe the gameplay. They're really rather generous with the checkpoint.

I really like how they did this. If you pay attention there are exit signs and arrows everywhere telling you where to go.

Darkkn

Stuck on

You need to do successful stealth attacks on him. Watch out for rubble in the ground that can alert him on your presence. You just need to sneak on his back and put some shiv on his back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I'm in "downtown." It looks like some kind of subway terminal. There was a ladder up above I was supposed to pull down, but it wasn't even in view at all. I'm just surprised. I only noticed the small triangle icon after going past that area a ton of times.

It's right when you first get the molotov. I guess they wanted you to use it on the clicker, because there is one right there. So you basically have to kill it to move on. I was trying to avoid killing them and I was saving the molotov. I can see now what they had in mind, but it was not very clear to me at the time.
I shivved that guy and I've held on to the molotov ever since. As an FYI, you can "sneak up" on Clickers even directly straight-on in front of them, if you're just quiet enough.
literally just stand there and don't seem to hear or see well? Am I missing something, or they just sit and wait for you walk up to them?
So far as I understand, those are
very recently infected. They appear to have barely any consciousness other than feeling kind of itchy.

Ostinatto

the game is beating the crap out of me, in survivor with no listen mode. i'm having so much fun trying to choke everyone. xD bottle-molotov combo for clicker groups, sogood.gif

HigXx

Multiplayer question here, when you die, and it offers you weapon upgrades, do the upgrades stay with you forever or are they only for the next time you spawn/one match only??

StuBurns

Banned
Listen what?

im3evA0GpLYq.gif

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It seems like people are getting into combat a lot. I've been playing for a little over 10 hours, and so far I've gotten into probably 4 or 5 combat scenarios, with maybe 2 or 3 of those being forced by the story.

I've been sneaking and stealth killing my way through all of the encounters so far. I'm not trying to play the game like Uncharted. There's a reason why there's no shooting from the hip on the R1 button. For me, fighting is a last resort. I take my time inching through areas, listening, and taking advantage of holes in enemy movement.

Truant

Tip for the basement
if you want to kill all the enemies: After you hit the generator, run up the ramp to the right, and into the bathroom. You should face outwards so that the only way enemies can get to you is in from of you. Throw down a molotow just as the bloater or other enemy runs into the room right outside the bathroom. When they're on fire, throw a spikebomb. I did that last night and it pretty much killed all the enemies except for a single runner guy.

Balphon

I'm starting to feel like the combat is getting in the way of my enjoyment of this game. The stealth just isn't very fun, and once an actual fight breaks out the videogamey-ness starts to shrine through in ways that really break the game's flow. Not to mention that mowing through rooms of 15+ guys feels increasingly absurd the more often it happens.

ironcreed

Banned
the game is beating the crap out of me, in survivor with no listen mode. i'm having so much fun trying to choke everyone. xD bottle-molotov combo for clicker groups, sogood.gif

Yeah, molotovs are a godsend and it's also fun to watch the aftermath. Nail one clicker and the rest come running to the sound of the bottle shattering and also get engulfed in flames. They also make some seriously disturbing noises when they are burning. Good stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tip for the basement
if you want to kill all the enemies: After you hit the generator, run up the ramp to the right, and into the bathroom. You should face outwards so that the only way enemies can get to you is in from of you. Throw down a molotow just as the bloater or other enemy runs into the room right outside the bathroom. When they're on fire, throw a spikebomb. I did that last night and it pretty much killed all the enemies except for a single runner guy.
I may do just that. My style so far has been avoidance whenever possibly but these jerks have giving me so much stress I sort of just want to massacre them.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Listen mode? Press the R2 button it allows you to see the enemy through walls basically.

Quote my post again, read the content of the quote and you shall be enlightened.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm starting to feel like the combat is getting in the way of my enjoyment of this game. The stealth just isn't very fun, and once an actual fight breaks out the videogamey-ness starts to shrine through in ways that really break the game's flow. Not to mention that mowing through rooms of 15+ guys feels increasingly absurd the more often it happens.

I just take my time and bait them like a hunter, with stealth as the top priority when possible. But when I do get surrounded and bum-rushed, it does not feel too 'gamey' at all to me. It just feels like I screwed up, got outsmarted and the tension from being shot, beaten or bit is probably done better here than in any game I have ever played. Nothing else like it.

I believe the game described them as very early on as (can't see how it's a spoiler, just being safe)
people that have recently turned. There's a building that I passed with a bunch of standing infected and a NPC said "They've all recently turned." So I guess they're freaked out and weeping and half person half zombie animal instinct.

Fantasmo

New Game + is not very fun. The early sections have a lot of handholding and unskippable in-game cutscenes. It's taking forever to get to the meat of the game.

Another frustration is that I missed a few of the tools and plenty of Joel upgrade items. But how am I supposed to know which without a map? It'd almost be easier to start a new game and have a guide handy.

There's no simple solution to all this but it's kind of annoying.

Carl

I knew that would happen so I got the game on launch day and marathoned it. You're pretty much screwed on any gaming board if you want to be surprised unless you play right away.

yeah i've already finished it. Glad i finished it before coming in here. People are asking questions marked with spoilers and then someone just quotes it and answers it with no spoilers at all. Hmm.

Or giving away location spoilers or "my favourite part was X" with no spoilers. Really silly. Especially as there's a spoiler thread. I know midway spoilers are hard, but as long as they're spoiler tagged it's okay obviously. Kind of weird to see endgame spoilers in here though.

I've been avoiding this thread because I want to know as little as possible about the game but I stopped by to ask a quick question --- has anyone else been playing any MP? I played for a few hours last night and actually really enjoyed it, but I'm still not sure if it'll be something I decide to really invest some time into or not.

One thing I really don't understand is how the whole clan thing works. All of my survivors so far are healthy but I don't understand how that can change, and I don't really know what determines how many survivors you gain. Some of that stuff doesn't seem very well explained to me at all.

I tried both modes (can't remember the names) and I definitely prefer the one that is round based with no respawns. It's incredibly tense and slow-paced which is what I wanted from this MP, and I love how limited you are in terms of weapons and items. It has a sort of Counter Strike feel to it in a way (because of the store and no respawns structure), but the core gameplay outside of that is obviously completely different.

So far the aspect of the game that has taken me the longest to adjust to is having listen mode in MP. It's incredibly powerful but the cooldown is fairly substantial so hopefully it won't feel too overpowered as players start adapting to using it more.

I'm really glad ND put in the ability to mark enemies for your teammates, that's one of my favorite aspects of Battlefield's MP so it was nice to see it appear here.

It'll be interesting to see how the MP develops as players start unlocking all the perks and weapons. Hopefully ND did a good job balancing everything but I guess that remains to be seen. My only main concern is that the game will eventually become nothing but camping, especially since you don't show up in listen mode when you aren't moving. That seems to plague a lot of TPS but I could see it being a particularly big issue in TLoU given how slow paced the game is. Time will tell, I suppose.

GulAtiCa

Have ND said anything about the single player DLC?

I want a
Tommy
mini campaign. Seems like a no brainer.

Don't think anything has been mentioned yet. I hope they include some DLC for some of the periods between the game. One thing I felt was odd, was how Joel went from being kinda annoyed with Ellie to wanting to teach her how to play a guitar. Of course many months went by, so they obviously bonded a bit more in that time. But that quick jump of that long of time does feel a little odd.

Carl

Have ND said anything about the single player DLC?

I want a
Tommy
mini campaign. Seems like a no brainer.

I'd love to see it
cover some of Ish's story. Really curious to see what happened to him. Last note i found was in one of the houses after the sewers.

Whoaaaa, lot's of tagged spoilers in this thread - can people please make sure that they tag them appropriately including stuff around them.

I'm 3 hours in and fucking loving it, what a game so far. Combat, setting, pacing, narrative all amazing.

I've been going hard on this game and I'm only 68% in after 10.5 hours. No idea how people marathoned this, it's fucking exhausting after a while.

Drek

A tip on finding the path ahead is to look for yellow. Yellow paint, yellow caution tape, etc.. If you see some exceptionally bright yellow area it's probably there for a reason.

Kettch

You don't actually have to kill that one. I shivved him my first time through, but on my survival playthrough I tossed a bottle nearby to wake him up and he eventually walked far enough away that I was able to get the ladder down. I'm actually making a lot more use of the bottles/bricks this time.

Sullichin

So far, the bit after (~45% completion)
the hotel, when you give Ellie the rifle
, leading up to
meeting with Henry and Sam
has been my least favorite part of the game. Fighting dudes with guns in a big, open, obvious arena,
complete with a tank
, is the closest this has come to doing something I've done a thousand times already in other games. Thankfully, I can already tell its picking up again. The part before what I just mentioned -
in the hotel
- has been my favorite part so far. Just incredibly intense. I think the combat works better when you're not in those huge open areas.

Top Bottom