• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm soooo on the fence for this one. There seems to be a real disparity between people who really, really like it and people who really, really don't. I'm having trouble finding some middle ground, and it's a little disconcerting. I don't think I've had that kind of trouble in a long time.

Will probably pick it up anyway, but I really wish the demo was public or something.

What....what disparity?

I have not heard a single person that dislikes this game, and polygon doesn't count.

the game is critically acclaimed and has been hyped up to be the next best thing since slice bread and your still on the fence?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What....what disparity?

I have not heard a single person that dislikes this game, and polygon doesn't count.

the game is critically acclaimed and has been hyped up to be the next best thing since slice bread and your still on the fence?

Maybe he doesnt like sliced bread?

Raxus

Seeing as the intro and the final scene are both online I would highly advise LoU GAF to go on blackout if spoilers are a big deal to you.

Also, getting Gustavo Santaolalla for the score was a genius move. Had me getting out the guitar to play 'The Wings' as soon as someone posted a link to the soundtrack. Hadn't made the connection until that point.

Nice thread title but it could not and should not last.

Imo a game like The Last of Us deserves a better one.

Thread title is more about the OT then the game.

DatDude

Banned
Is it advisable to start the game on hard with Listen mode off?

YES x infinity.

If you want to play this game the way it's meant to be played than Hard + listen mode off will make you feel like the survivor/scrounger your meant to be playing as.

vargr

Neo Member
What....what disparity?

Yes, I'm still on the fence, as I tend to wait and judge things at a reasonable pace.

There are plenty of people who are saying the game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, to use your analogy, and I'm not talking about Polygon. Feel free to look elsewhere for opinions, and you'll see that they aren't all high praise. I just wanted to see someone elaborate on the game who wasn't being swept up in the hype you've just referenced and at the same time wasn't deriding the game simply because of the high scores being thrown around. I was saying that sort of elaboration hasn't been easy to find, is all. Terrible of me, I know.

DatDude

Banned
Yes, I'm still on the fence, as I tend to wait and judge things at a reasonable pace.

There are plenty of people who are saying the game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, to use your analogy, and I'm not talking about Polygon. Feel free to look elsewhere for opinions, and you'll see that they aren't all high praise. I just wanted to see someone elaborate on the game who wasn't being swept up in the hype you've just referenced and at the same time wasn't deriding the game simply because of the high scores being thrown around. I was saying that sort of elaboration hasn't been easy to find, is all. Terrible of me, I know.

Not terrible of you.

Were only saying what were saying because we have LITERALLY not seen any bad talk about this game. (neither in reviews, nor from impressions here on gaf)

Maybe some complaints about the ai, but that's about it.

Honestly, if you've seen some negative comments please direct us there. Because I want to hear the other story as well (if there is one)

DatDude

Banned
Is this real life?

Honestly, the dude has a point. Describing something as simple and innocent as "the feels" gives a hint of the tone of the opening.

Some people don't want that..especially since most of us don't have the game/dont want to spoil ourseleves

Raxus

Honestly, the dude has a point. Describing something as simple and innocent as "the feels" gives a hint of the tone of the opening.

Some people don't want that..especially since most of us don't have the game/dont want to spoil ourseleves

If something as vague as that upsets you go on blackout. Some people will get early copies and post impressions which in a way may be considered spoilers for you.

Soler

Banned

The game has been described as having an unpleasant tone throughout its entirety
I am assuming there's nothing wrong with posting that due to it being so plainly obvious

If something as vague as that upsets you go on blackout. Some people will get early copies and post impressions which in a way may be considered spoilers for you.

It doesn't upset me it's just common sense, if Soler saw the intro then he should have some consideration for those WHO DIDNT HAVE A CLUE AT ALL.

The game has been described as having an unpleasant tone throughout its entirety
I am assuming there's nothing wrong with posting that due to it being so plainly obvious

It's not obvious, it's the furthest thing from obvious, the opening scene could be a flashback for all I know.

DatDude

Banned

Or you know spoiler tag that shit maybe?

Irrelevant since the hype is specifically focused on the opening.

Soler

Banned
It doesn't upset me it's just common sense, if Soler saw the intro then he should have some consideration for those WHO DIDNT HAVE A CLUE AT ALL.
If you want a blackout don't come into the thread where people are talking about the game
As I responded previously
It's plainly evident that the intro isn't going to be sunshine and rainbows

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
YES x infinity.

If you want to play this game the way it's meant to be played than Hard + listen mode off will make you feel like the survivor/scrounger your meant to be playing as.

I would start the game on hard mode, normal will make you die enough.

I guess it depends if you do not mind dying a couple of times before learning what enemies do.

It is not advisable if you are looking for a simple casual playthrough.
Thanks guys. I want the first playthrough to count so hard it is.

If you want a blackout don't come into the thread where people are talking about the game

This is a spoiler free OT and for you to claim that Naughty Dog could have only made the intro to this game in one way is completely ignorant, it is not difficult to think for one second and consider other peoples viewpoints.

DatDude

Banned

I think your mistaking the difference between a SPOILER OT, and a regular one.

In a regular one, people are hypersensitive to spoilers, especially since no one has the game yet.

So do everyone a favor and try to be more considerate of others next time. Thanks.

Loakum

Banned
I kind of wanted one of these editions:

mF5aYgu.jpg

6cYjgl3.png

Soler

Banned
I think your mistaking the difference between a SPOILER OT, and a regular one.

In a regular one, people are hypersensitive to spoilers, especially since no one has the game yet.

So do everyone a favor and try to be more considerate of others next time. Thanks.
There's no spoilers involved
This is extremely petty
Maybe you shouldn't overreact to such a simple post
It doesn't spoil anything about the game at all
You literally cannot guess anything based off that post

This is extremely petty

I can infer that the opening is sad, I'm really not asking for much here just some spoiler tags, don't make me feel like a dick because I'm excited for a game I've been awaiting with bated breath for 2 years.

DatDude

Banned

Says the person who posted the spoiler

This is extremely petty

For you maybe, for others not so much.

Maybe you shouldn't post spoilers?

Well you can guess the tone, which by assumption means it's sad, someone probably dies/there's death, very emotional. Just by that small post, funny huh.

Soler

Banned
I can infer that the opening is sad, I'm really not asking for much here just some spoiler tags, don't make me feel like a dick because I'm excited for a game I've been waiting with baited breath 2 years for.
Anyone whos seen a trailer for the game can infer that
The game draws inspirations from the road

Loakum

Banned
I can see it's getting unsafe, even here for spoilers (little or big, a spoiler is a spoiler) I guess I'll be leaving the interwebs for the next 5 days. C-Ya Later.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Soler, just a fair warning. I'll report you if you post something like that again.

and fyi when juniors get banned normally it's a permban. Be more careful ffs.

Lucent

YES x infinity.

Exactly what I planned on doing and why I'm choosing to do it. No matter how good I got at listening I don't think I'd ever be able to visualize where the enemies are. lol =P

Soler

Banned
Says the person who posted the spoiler

For you maybe, for others not so much.

Maybe you shouldn't post spoilers?

Well you can guess the tone, which by assumption means it's sad, someone probably dies/there's death, very emotional. Just by that small post, funny huh.
I think you may have looked too much into my post
Good day to you

demolitio

I did it! I actually held off on watching the video! I got through the opening credits and clicked out after realizing this is one of the few games I want to experience for myself on my big screen with no prior knowledge of the story. It says a lot that I'm not wanting to watch anything about this game right now, but it also could be the fact that I know watching ANYTHING right now just opens me up to being spoiled.

I hope mentioning there's a few opening credits didn't ruin some people's blackouts... :p

DatDude

Banned
Anyone whos seen a trailer for the game can infer that
The game draws inspirations from the road

Who cares where it draws inspiration from? It can draw inspiration from fucking borat, and it wouldn't matter.

Learn how to not post spoilers dude, please, for your sake especially.

Top Bottom