• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I did it! I actually held off on watching the video! I got through the opening credits and clicked out after realizing this is one of the few games I want to experience for myself on my big screen with no prior knowledge of the story. It says a lot that I'm not wanting to watch anything about this game right now, but it also could be the fact that I know watching ANYTHING right now just opens me up to being spoiled.

I hope mentioning there's a few opening credits didn't ruin some people's blackouts... :p

Hahaha nothing wrong with that man.

WAIT YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THIS GAME STARTS WITH WORDS???

GOD DAMMIT

DatDude

Banned
I did it! I actually held off on watching the video! I got through the opening credits and clicked out after realizing this is one of the few games I want to experience for myself on my big screen with no prior knowledge of the story. It says a lot that I'm not wanting to watch anything about this game right now, but it also could be the fact that I know watching ANYTHING right now just opens me up to being spoiled.

I hope mentioning there's a few opening credits didn't ruin some people's blackouts... :p

This is something you want to experience first hand. Trust me.

Yes, I'm still on the fence, as I tend to wait and judge things at a reasonable pace.

There are plenty of people who are saying the game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, to use your analogy, and I'm not talking about Polygon. Feel free to look elsewhere for opinions, and you'll see that they aren't all high praise. I just wanted to see someone elaborate on the game who wasn't being swept up in the hype you've just referenced and at the same time wasn't deriding the game simply because of the high scores being thrown around. I was saying that sort of elaboration hasn't been easy to find, is all. Terrible of me, I know.

There really hasn't been a single credible reviewer that has said this game is not worthwhile. Not has there been any GAFer.

It seems like you are incapable of making a decision or trusting reviewers.
Not really anyone's fault but your own, and not really any of our concern.

So please do your vacillating somewhere else. Because when you take away your factually-incorrect (probably agenda-driven) statement about the positive/negative ratio of people's reviews of this game, and your casual insults of people being excited for this game, (saying they are "swept away in the hype" while you, oh great one who's better than everyone else "tend to wait and judge things at a reasonable pace,") that's all that's left--you supposedly trying to make a decision.

Great. You can't make a decision. Go blog about it. What do you want us to do? Point you to the piles of positive reviews? The OP already does it. You want people to beg you to try it? Why should anyone? If I wanted to drag people kicking and screaming to look at art, I'd volunteer to guide kindergarten kids around my local museum.

And no, most people in this thread aren't going to follow your advice to look around for more opinions, because a) most people don't have your peculiar issues with trusting piles and piles of professional reviews, and b) most people in this thread are here for a reason...they don't want to be on some shitty site full of spoilers.

jackrubyn

The few things that bother me about this game:

- Listen mode (even if you can turn it off, just the fact that it exists bothers me)
- The AI seems very stupid at times. In a video I watched yesterday, the player was strangling a guy literally 10 feet from another guy, in a spot that the first guy totally would have spotted with his peripheral vision.
- Seems very linear.

But still, I am seriously considering buying a PS3 just for this.

Is the spoiler thread going up later when the game releases?

Friday most likely, at least thats what I've heard.

Pristine going in god damn

I'm at about the 10 hour mark right now and the game is getting better and better. Story, dialogue and voice acting are in a league of their own. It's crazy how this is on PS3. Just what crazy witchery should we expect from ND next gen? Madness.

Naughty Dog is going to blow everyone away on PS4 with their animation prowess, I cant wait.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

I'm at about the 10 hour mark right now and the game is getting better and better. Story, dialogue and voice acting are in a league of their own. It's crazy how this is on PS3. Just what crazy witchery should we expect from ND next gen? Madness.

DatDude

Banned
The few things that bother me about this game:

- Listen mode (even if you can turn it off, just the fact that it exists bothers me)

Such an idiotic complaint. If you can turn it off than why the fuck does it bother you? Just makes absolute no sense

- The AI seems very stupid at times. In a video I watched yesterday, the player was strangling a guy literally 10 feet from another guy, in a spot that the first guy totally would have spotted with his peripheral vision.

There have been ai hiccups reported. That is true, but there's so much I expect from ai nowadays. Hopefully next gen brings improvement.

- Seems very linear.

Read reviews/gafs impressions. Everyone has been saying it's much larger than UC, and that you need to use your map on a few occasions to figure out where to go.

But still, I am seriously considering buying a PS3 just for this.

Considering there alot of other good games for the ps3, I would hope it's not just for this.

So, yeah. I finished this game with a friend here in Germany.

The last moments of this game will define this generation.

Tis all I'll say.

To those who haven't bought it/played it.

Let the hype engulf you.

DatDude

Banned

Any impressions you can give about the atmosphere/gameplay/ai/pacing/comparison to uc2? etc.

Lumine

Game is different compared to uncharted. Surviving is key.

Seriously, how different is it? I prefer to keep myself in the dark and not read too much about the game so everything is as fresh as possible. I enjoyed the first 2 Uncharted games (not played the 3rd) - but I did not think they were all that amazing. If it's essentially a linear 3rd person shooter with little else like the Uncharted games I think I can hold out a few months more 'till it's cheaper. If it really is different, I think I might just have to pick it up as soon as possible. The hype is starting to get to me after all...

Are there any visual cues as to finding resources, or do you have to keep a keen eye out for them? Obviously you can still find them by walking over every inch of the ground and waiting for a prompt, but I'd rather be able to spot them reliably :p

DatDude

Banned
Seriously, how different is it? I prefer to keep myself in the dark and not read too much about the game so everything is as fresh as possible. I enjoyed the first 2 Uncharted games (not played the 3rd) - but I did not think they were all that amazing. If it's essentially a linear 3rd person shooter with little else like the Uncharted games I think I can hold out a few months more 'till it's cheaper. If it really is different, I think I might just have to pick it up as soon as possible. The hype is starting to get to me after all...

Considering it's not linear (it's still linear in a sense, but not to the extent that uncharted was), and considering your highly discouraged from using guns (but rather stealth, and crafting to create home made items like shivs and what not) than I don't see what the issue is?

Pranay

The biggest difference is its not a shooter.
You have to survive, you wont be given much ammunition and the AI is damn good.
Putting weapons and crafting is real time as well

I wasn't going to buy this game as I didn't have much interest in it nor did I particularly like the Uncharted games but the huge amount of praise it's received on NeoGAF (by those who've played it) and elsewhere has convinced me to give it a try even though I'll be going in with tempered expectations (which is probably better as it seems likely to far surpass them).

Lumine

The biggest difference is its not a shooter.
You have to survive, you wont be given much ammunition and the AI is damn good.
Putting weapons and crafting is real time as well

Considering it's not linear (it's still linear in a sense, but not to the extent that uncharted was), and considering your highly discouraged from using guns (but rather stealth, and crafting to create home made items like shivs and what not) than I don't see what the issue is?

Not an issue, I'm just wondering what the game's like without accidentally spoiling myself. But I like what you two are saying. So I guess I'm in. Now to find the cheapest pre-order. :p

vargr

Neo Member
There really hasn't been a single credible reviewer that has said this game is not worthwhile. Not has there been any GAFer.

It seems like you are incapable of making a decision or trusting reviewers.
Not really anyone's fault but your own, and not really any of our concern.

So please do your vacillating somewhere else. Because when you take away your factually-incorrect (probably agenda-driven) statement about the positive/negative ratio of people's reviews of this game, and your casual insults of people being excited for this game, (saying they are "swept away in the hype" while you, oh great one who's better than everyone else "tend to wait and judge things at a reasonable pace,") that's all that's left--you supposedly trying to make a decision.

Great. You can't make a decision. Go blog about it. What do you want us to do? Point you to the piles of positive reviews? The OP already does it. You want people to beg you to try it? Why should anyone? If I wanted to drag people kicking and screaming to look at art, I'd volunteer to guide kindergarten kids around my local museum.

And no, most people in this thread aren't going to follow your advice to look around for more opinions, because a) most people don't have your peculiar issues with trusting piles and piles of professional reviews, and b) most people in this thread are here for a reason...they don't want to be on some shitty site full of spoilers.

Man, I have to say, this is the first time I've ever seen someone else being paranoid about whether or not I actually intend to buy a game. You're being awfully presumptuous, and coming off as kind of insecure. I haven't insulted anybody here, nor do I think I'm better than anyone simply because I'm waiting to judge things on my own. If you've found anything I've said insulting, our definitions of 'insult' differ by a pretty wide margin.

I'd address the rest of your post, as offended as you seem to be, but I'm really not trying to argue, and was merely testing the waters to see if anyone wanted to elaborate on their own experiences. I see now that this clearly isn't the place for that, and I apologize for daring to post such racy material here.

DatDude

Banned
I wasn't going to buy this game as I didn't have much interest in it nor did I particularly like the Uncharted games but the huge amount of praise it's received on NeoGAF (by those who've played it) and elsewhere has convinced me to give it a try even though I'll be going in with tempered expectations (which is probably better as it seems likely to far surpass them).

Well what do you want out of a game? If there are certain elements you hate than you might be better saving your 60 bucks else where.

Pachimari

Any word on whether or not they will actually use realtime cutscenes this time as opposed to pre-renders sequences? Not that those were a big issue with Uncharted, but they always managed to feel slightly disconnected.
Pre-rendered.

There's a big difference between in-game and cutscenes.

DatDude

Banned
Man, I have to say, this is the first time I've ever seen someone else being paranoid about whether or not I actually intend to buy a game. You're being awfully presumptuous, and coming off as kind of insecure. I haven't insulted anybody here, nor do I think I'm better than anyone simply because I'm waiting to judge things on my own. If you've found anything I've said insulting, our definitions of 'insult' differ by a pretty wide margin.

I'd address the rest of your post, as offended as you seem to be, but I'm really not trying to argue, and was merely testing the waters to see if anyone wanted to elaborate on their own experiences. I see now that this clearly isn't the place for that, and I apologize for daring to post such racy material here.

Sounds like you want someone to tell you not to get this game honestly.

spannicus

Lol man you guys are like old school WWF up in here lol, OOHH YEAAH! This game is gonna cause a few heart attacks in this thread. DatDude jumps on everyone that mentions anything bad about The Last of Us lol, chill out guys damn its just a game sheesh. Everyone has a right to say what they want on a gaming forum. Damn Hulkamania its Summer Slam up in dis bitch. Naughty Dog games, dividing gamers since 2000 whatever.

Sethos

Banned
Yes, I'm still on the fence, as I tend to wait and judge things at a reasonable pace.

There are plenty of people who are saying the game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, to use your analogy, and I'm not talking about Polygon. Feel free to look elsewhere for opinions, and you'll see that they aren't all high praise. I just wanted to see someone elaborate on the game who wasn't being swept up in the hype you've just referenced and at the same time wasn't deriding the game simply because of the high scores being thrown around. I was saying that sort of elaboration hasn't been easy to find, is all. Terrible of me, I know.

Sounds to me like you aren't really interested in the game.

demolitio

Not an issue, I'm just wondering what the game's like without accidentally spoiling myself. But I like what you two are saying. So I guess I'm in. Now to find the cheapest pre-order. :p

It's basically a lot more methodical in every way. Your ammo is limited and you're not really carrying around a lot of weapons which makes stealth and melee a lot more important considering you're only carrying around what you scavenge. You don't run in guns blazing but take a second to THINK what the best way to approach enemies is (human or otherwise) and your focus isn't on blazing through everyone to get to the next part but to actually make it through with as little confrontation as possible so you don't waste valuable supplies or worse.

That's essentially what I think based off of what I've read, seen, and played from the demo. It's a more methodical game and plays differently because of that. I basically don't want to know the rest since I honestly want to go in with a fresh perspective but that's just the basic elements that make it different.

jackrubyn

It bothers him that some might be enjoying a feature he didn't.

No, of course not. It's just that I would always feel like the game was designed with that feature in mind. Like if there was a button that you could press in Tetris that spawned a straight piece.

Are there any visual cues as to finding resources, or do you have to keep a keen eye out for them? Obviously you can still find them by walking over every inch of the ground and waiting for a prompt, but I'd rather be able to spot them reliably :p

Assuming the final game is like the demo:
it lets you know when you're about 5 feet away, little button prompts or crafting signals appear over what you can interact with.

Assuming the final game is like the demo:
it lets you know when you're about 5 feet away, little button prompts or crafting signals appear over what you can interact with.

Cheers. Wonder if the prompt distance is affected at all by Difficulty

From the demo, did it feel like the right distance for the prompt to appear?

VariantX04

Any impressions you can give about the atmosphere/gameplay/ai/pacing/comparison to uc2? etc.
Environments are much more open compared to the Uncharted series. Multiple paths along with multiple ways to progress through levels means a lot more strategizing and plotting before moving forward unlike the shoot first, think later mantra of certain Uncharted levels. Pacing so far has been excellent, offering a steady balance of exploration/item scavenging, enemy encounters and well-timed cutscenes that don't break the flow of the action. The atmosphere lends a lot to the story and I definitely felt sucked into the world from the very beginning. Some of the notes you find give a backstory to the location you're in and a few have been pretty heartbreaking to read. I loved BioShock Infinite mostly for how well-realized the universe is and this is no different. I won't go in to detail about the plot or story but I'll just say that it's very gripping.

Oh, this is something very important to me.

How easy is it to get into a situation where you're looking for resources and accidentally trigger a point of no return, forcing you to miss out on those items?

vargr

Neo Member
Sounds to me like you aren't really interested in the game.

Sounds like you want someone to tell you not to get this game honestly.

Yes, that's why I'm posting here, because I want someone to tell me NOT to get it and because I'm completely disinterested. I was curious what people who liked the game, but weren't absolutely in love with it thought. I've been leaning toward a buy for some time now, I was just looking for input that wasn't entirely in one camp or the other. I never imagined that anyone would be offended by such a thing, honestly. I'm still pretty surprised at the responses, and almost regret mentioning it in the first place.

Cheers. Wonder if the prompt distance is affected at all by Difficulty

From the demo, did it feel like the right distance for the prompt to appear?

No problem man.

More demo impressions:

I've played the demo on normal and hard but I didn't notice a difference in the prompt distance. IMO it's the perfect distance for the prompt to appear because you have to get close enough to see it so it encourages exploration but it appears soon enough that you don't have to search incredibly thoroughly, it makes the whole scavenging mechanic feel very natural and organic.

DatDude

Banned
Environments are much more open compared to the Uncharted series. Multiple paths along with multiple ways to progress through levels means a lot more strategizing and plotting before moving forward unlike the shoot first, think later mantra of certain Uncharted levels. Pacing so far has been excellent, offering a steady balance of exploration/item scavenging, enemy encounters and well-timed cutscenes that don't break the flow of the action. The atmosphere lends a lot to the story and I definitely felt sucked into the world from the very beginning. Some of the notes you find give a backstory to the location you're in and a few have been pretty heartbreaking to read. I loved BioShock Infinite mostly for how
well-realized the universe is and this is no different. I won't go in to detail about the plot or story but I'll just say that it's very gripping.

Sounds brilliant thanks!

Btw, are there any scary/horror moments?

VariantX04

Oh, this is something very important to me.

How easy is it to get into a situation where you're looking for resources and accidentally trigger a point of no return, forcing you to miss out on those items?
This happened to me a few times but only because I wasn't thorough enough with my scavenging and noticed an item a moment too late. It's definitely not a problem though if you're thorough enough.

No problem man.

More demo impressions:

I've played the demo on normal and hard but I didn't notice a difference in the prompt distance. IMO it's the perfect distance for the prompt to appear because you have to get close enough to see it so it encourages exploration but it appears soon enough that you don't have to search incredibly thoroughly, it makes the whole scavenging mechanic feel very natural and organic.

This happened to me a few times but only because I wasn't thorough enough with my scavenging and noticed an item a moment too late. It's definitely not a problem though if you're thorough enough.

Cheers guys. Honestly struggling to handle the hype :D

Environments are much more open compared to the Uncharted series. Multiple paths along with multiple ways to progress through levels means a lot more strategizing and plotting before moving forward unlike the shoot first, think later mantra of certain Uncharted levels. Pacing so far has been excellent, offering a steady balance of exploration/item scavenging, enemy encounters and well-timed cutscenes that don't break the flow of the action. The atmosphere lends a lot to the story and I definitely felt sucked into the world from the very beginning. Some of the notes you find give a backstory to the location you're in and a few have been pretty heartbreaking to read. I loved BioShock Infinite mostly for how
well-realized the universe is and this is no different. I won't go in to detail about the plot or story but I'll just say that it's very gripping.

This post got me so stoked, BI is my GOTY so far. I don't know how I'm gonna make it till Friday!!!!

Unless my guy can get me the game on wednesday, oh please god just this once.

Pranay

anastacio posted in the review thread

By the way, after having completed the game I really don't understand the Polygon's review complaint of it being hard to aim. Yes, it's shaky and a bit hard until you upgrade your skill and gets steady hands. You will have no problem taking down enemies.

VariantX04

Sounds brilliant thanks!

Btw, are there any scary/horror moments?
Hahaha absolutely. Joel's sprinting animation makes getaways feel hectic like you're running for your life and there's one point in the game where I was shouting at my screen hoping to make it to cutscene sanctuary. It wasn't a forced chase sequence either which made it even more exhilarating/terrifying.

Top Bottom