• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Pachimari

It's basically a lot more methodical in every way. Your ammo is limited and you're not really carrying around a lot of weapons which makes stealth and melee a lot more important considering you're only carrying around what you scavenge. You don't run in guns blazing but take a second to THINK what the best way to approach enemies is (human or otherwise) and your focus isn't on blazing through everyone to get to the next part but to actually make it through with as little confrontation as possible so you don't waste valuable supplies or worse.

That's essentially what I think based off of what I've read, seen, and played from the demo. It's a more methodical game and plays differently because of that. I basically don't want to know the rest since I honestly want to go in with a fresh perspective but that's just the basic elements that make it different.
Besides you can have 2 big guns on you, 2 hand pistols on you, a brick/bottle, 3 molotovs and some other stuff - I fail to see how this is not a lot of weapons.

DatDude

Banned
I didn't get it at all and this a huge disappointment. So I would be happy if someone would explain it to me in a PM.

OMG IM SO HYPPPPPPPEEED

Seriously thought it was a conventional ending that was incredibly incredible. Happy that it's a bit more complex than that =)

Besides you can have 2 big guns on you, 2 hand pistols on you, a brick/bottle, 3 molotovs and some other stuff - I fail to see how this is not a lot of weapons.

More reason why people should start out on Hard. The less supplies/ammo the better.

Hahaha absolutely. Joel's sprinting animation makes getaways feel hectic like you're running for your life and there's one point in the game where I was shouting at my screen hoping to make it to cutscene sanctuary. It wasn't a forced chase sequence either which made it even more exhilarating/terrifying.

Omg man you're killing me, I cant imagine what some of the encounters in this game are like. To think that the demo only has a couple enemy types and I've played it over 20 times, I think my PS3 will die with this game inside it.

OMG IM SO HYPPPPPPPEEED

Seriously thought it was a conventional ending that was incredibly incredible. Happy that it's a bit more complex than that =)

Seconded, I had no hope for complexity but this is great news :)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
This post got me so stoked, BI is my GOTY so far. I don't know how I'm gonna make it till Friday!!!!

Unless my guy can get me the game on wednesday, oh please god just this once.
Infinite was my goty too but this game is easily overtaking it so far. Let's see how I feel once I finish it.

DatDude

Banned
Yes, that's why I'm posting here, because I want someone to tell me NOT to get it and because I'm completely disinterested. I was curious what people who liked the game, but weren't absolutely in love with it thought. I've been leaning toward a buy for some time now, I was just looking for input that wasn't entirely in one camp or the other. I never imagined that anyone would be offended by such a thing, honestly. I'm still pretty surprised at the responses, and almost regret mentioning it in the first place.

My main issue is that you accuse this game of having bad impressions yet I haven't found any, and you refuse to post any.

Infinite was my goty too but this game is easily overtaking it so far. Let's see how I feel once I finish it.

Quite frankly any game that is easily overtaking Bioshock Infinite before it's even done is a damn good game, can't wait to hear your thoughts once you're done, sounds like we have similar tastes.

demolitio

And how much ammo do you have on hard for those though?

Maybe I'm just the stealthy type as I rather avoid any chances of alerting infected.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Yes, that's why I'm posting here, because I want someone to tell me NOT to get it and because I'm completely disinterested. I was curious what people who liked the game, but weren't absolutely in love with it thought. I've been leaning toward a buy for some time now, I was just looking for input that wasn't entirely in one camp or the other. I never imagined that anyone would be offended by such a thing, honestly. I'm still pretty surprised at the responses, and almost regret mentioning it in the first place.

But we were are telling you, that no such people exist..

please link us all to the negative impressions, because I have not found any.

the game is a 96 on metacritict and is being loved by everyone on GAF ( and I mean everyone) that isn't enough for you?

to be honest your post is kind of strange. You seem to be looking for someone to convince you its not a good game..

Pachimari

OMG IM SO HYPPPPPPPEEED

More reason why people should start out on Hard. The less supplies/ammo the better.
Would be nice if you could explain it to me. :)

Pachimari

And how much ammo do you have on hard for those though?

Maybe I'm just the stealthy type as I rather avoid any chances of alerting infected.
I haven't played it on Hard, only Normal. And now I started on Survival.

I'm also the stealthy time, and thus you'll end up with loaded guns so that will come across lots of ammunition you are stocked on. Even when using some of it. But it'll probably be different on harder difficulties.

Black

Banned
about 7 hours in. It's ok. the start is great even though it's a half life 2 type of intro, meaning it's like sitting in a taxi. It's really just the recent splinter cell with better production. On rail games like this don't deserve such praise.

some great aspects are the torch effect, the drag is very natural. The acting production is simply amazing, as well as the graphics.

about 7 hours in. It's ok. the start is great even though it's a half life 2 type of intro, meaning it's like sitting in a taxi. It's really just the recent splinter cell with better production. On rail games like this don't deserve such praise.

Tags man. Please use tags.

Something is off about this post though.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Something sounds fishy here. Troll somewhere else.

Pachimari

Maybe it's just not your kind of game.

What would you want? An open world?

Also spoiler that.

Sethos

Banned
Don't quote it, at least put the quote in spoiler tags. You are just as bad.

Glad I'm not reading any of it.

vargr

Neo Member
My main issue is that you accuse this game of having bad impressions yet I haven't found any, and you refuse to post any.

As of now I'm aware of two low scoring reviews, one of which I'm sure you're aware of, and the other can be easily found by visiting GameRanking or Metacritic. I'm personally under the impression that they're more or less click-bait for people who have a desire to not like the game for whatever reason, as for others, I can't exactly link you to every reasonable sounding anonymous post on /v/ and I doubt you'd go there anyway for fear of spoilers, nor would I blame you for not wanting to.

That said, I'm taking it all in with a healthy grain of salt, which is why I was looking for input from someone with lukewarm impressions, more or less. Also, I don't think I had an accusatory tone at all. In any case, this is obviously not the place to find that sort of information. I only wish I had been aware prior that such a request would be so frowned upon, as it seemed entirely reasonable at the time.

DatDude

Banned
As of now I'm aware of two low scoring reviews, one of which I'm sure you're aware of, and the other can be easily found by visiting GameRanking or Metacritic. I'm personally under the impression that they're more or less click-bait for people who have a desire to not like the game for whatever reason, as for others, I can't exactly link you to every reasonable sounding anonymous post on /v/ and I doubt you'd go there anyway for fear of spoilers, nor would I blame you for not wanting to.

That said, I'm taking it all in with a healthy grain of salt, which is why I was looking for input from someone with lukewarm impressions, more or less. Also, I don't think I had an accusatory tone at all. In any case, this is obviously not the place to find that sort of information. I only wish I had been aware prior that such a request would be so frowned upon, as it seemed entirely reasonable at the time.

So you want people to shit on the game for you?

Black

Banned
there was no spoilers at all. I made sure of it.

the start is like most set piece games where you sit and watch things go on around you like an interactive cut scene. i didn't mention the story at all. Thats like saying mario has an overworld is a spoiler.

there was no spoilers at all. I made sure of it. the start is like most set piece games where you sit and watch things go on around you like an interactive cut scene. i didn't mention the story at all. Thats like saying mario has an overworld is a spolier.

*sigh*

Cmon man are you fucking kidding me.

DatDude

Banned
i'm still a junior/and possibly a troll who has watched youtube walkthroughs and i still dont know how to use spoiler tags.

Listen, you keep doing this and your stay is going to be incredibly short on this forum.

STOP POSTING SPOILERS or GTFO.

Wait 'til the game is out and more people start posting their thoughts. With games like this it's harder to separate hype-induced hysteria from deserved praise, and get a feel for whether you'll like the game or not.

If what you've seen of the game so far hasn't convinced you to try it, then take the wait-and-see approach. Personally I'm hopeful that I'll enjoy the game and am willing to buy it to find out.

Black

Banned
Something sounds fishy here. Troll somewhere else.

why is that a troll comment. the game is like splinter cell.

You stealth around and grab people from behind. There is about 7-10 enemies per area. closed off areas and quick time events here and there like opening doors.

TEH-CJ

Banned
why is that a troll comment. the game is like splinter cell. You stealth around and grab people from behind. There is about 7-10 enemies per area. closed off areas and quick time events here and there like opening doors.

Sounds like to me you have watched some random youtube vids and made a conclusion off that.

post your copy of the game.

Black

Banned
Its a troll man, ignore him. And from someone who has seen the opening, he is full of shit. Trust me.

hey wait, i don't want to get banned.

I have been playing it all day and I didn't give anything away. I'm not sure why everyone is upset.

spannicus

Dead-babylaugh.JPG

I have been playing it all day and I didn't give anything away. I'm not sure why everyone is upset.

Going back and tagging your posts would be a good start then mate, you didn't do anything wrong in terms of content you just need to filter it better.

Yup, black it out.

If you want people to read it then just let people know what it is ya know?

Example: Just played the beginning! TAGTAGTAGTAGTAGTAGTAGTAGTAGTAGTAG

It isn't cool to just openly describe it.

Edit: Hahaha I'm really trying not to be an asshole but it just seems like common sense to me, sorry if I come off harsh but I tag everything that I think someone might not know which is pretty much any gameplay element or setting, takes like 2 seconds.

Standard things change on higher difficulties. Less provisions, more damage required especially hand to hand, some enemy variations e.g. something popping in Survivor that didn't happen on Hard. Normal sounds like no problem but I only did Hard and Survival both with no listen so I'm not sure how easy or challenging it is. Start on Hard without listen for a true experience. Should take about 15 hours (took me 17).

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about conserving ammo as the game is designed to be friendly with the ammo drops when you have 1 or 2 bullets left. You'll see when you play it. A lot of games do something similar. I believe Uncharted does as well.

There's some great weapons to find. Loved 2 in particular....

Had a few glitches on my run throughs but one was pretty random and actually helped me out a lot and another just instant killed me though it's completely avoidable.

Y'all be treated to something nice once you get it.

DatDude

Banned

if you didn't want to get banned than YOU WOULDN'T FUCKING BE POSTING SPOILERS IN THE GOD DAMN OFFICIAL THREAD WHERE NOBODY HAS THE FUCKING GAME YOU MOTHERFUCKING TROLL.

DatDude

Banned
Standard things change on higher difficulties. Less provisions, more damage required especially hand to hand, some enemy variations e.g. something popping in Survivor that didn't happen on Hard. Normal sounds like no problem but I only did Hard and Survival both with no listen so I'm not sure how easy or challenging it is. Start on Hard without listen for a true experience. Should take about 15 hours (took me 17).

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about conserving ammo as the game is designed to be friendly with the ammo drops when you have 1 or 2 bullets left. You'll see when you play it. A lot of games do something similar. I believe Uncharted does as well.

There's some great weapons to find. Loved 2 in particular....

Had a few glitches on my run throughs but one was pretty random and actually helped me out a lot and another just instant killed me though it's completely avoidable.

Y'all be treated to something nice once you get it.

What did you think of the game overall?

vargr

Neo Member
So you want people to shit on the game for you?

..How the hell are you even coming to that kind of conclusion, at all? Because I'm interested in the possibility of hearing from someone who doesn't find it completely excellent, I automatically want the game to be shit on? That's a hell of an exaggeration, and absolutist logic at best. You're practically saying if you don't love the game and think it's 100% the best thing ever, you must absolutely hate it in it's entirety. Incredible.

Wait 'til the game is out and more people start posting their thoughts. With games like this it's harder to separate hype-induced hysteria from deserved praise, and get a feel for whether you'll like the game or not.

If what you've seen of the game so far hasn't convinced you to try it, then take the wait-and-see approach. Personally I'm hopeful that I'll enjoy the game and am willing to buy it to find out.

The one reasonable response I've gotten. This is what I had planned to do originally, I just thought perhaps someone who had snagged a copy early might have shared their own impressions that weren't entirely in line with everything else.

Will probably still pick it up, I just can't say I see the harm in wanting to know if anyone had any issues that hadn't been brought up at this point. This is literally the only time I've seen people become offended by such a light inquiry, and it's made me wary of even bothering in the future. No worries though, I'll refrain from posting with regards to the subject any further, and I sincerely hope everyone enjoys playing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
if you didn't want to get banned than YOU WOULDN'T FUCKING BE POSTING SPOILERS IN THE GOD DAMN OFFICIAL THREAD WHERE NOBODY HAS THE FUCKING GAME YOU MOTHERFUCKING TROLL.

I'm in tears.

AJ_Wings

why is that a troll comment. the game is like splinter cell. You stealth around and grab people from behind. There is about 7-10 enemies per area. closed off areas and quick time events here and there like opening doors.

Huh, I didn't know Last of Us had actual lockpicking and hacking mechanics, multiple modes of movement speeds that can affect AI detection depending on your relevant distance, dynamic lighting system that can affect your visibility, sticky shockers, sticky cameras, nightvision goggles and so on and so on... yeah, it's nothing like Splinter Cell.

If you mean Conviction then I can somewhat understand the similarities.

Top Bottom