• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
First game I'm buying new since Bioshock Infinite. Can't wait.

My first game since NFS Most Wanted last year. It's been a massive dry spell for me.

Surprised there is no dfference between the EU Joel and Ellie Editions. Will see if EB (Joel) will price match JB Hifi (Ellie) since that is where my preorder is. I think JB is about $5 cheap than EB.

DatDude

Banned
I'm soooo on the fence for this one. There seems to be a real disparity between people who really, really like it and people who really, really don't. I'm having trouble finding some middle ground, and it's a little disconcerting. I don't think I've had that kind of trouble in a long time.

Will probably pick it up anyway, but I really wish the demo was public or something.

I've yet to see any negative comment about anyone not liking this game.

It's early, but every review has been positive (even polygons embarassing 7.5 review)..and all the user impressions who have gotten early copies keep touting it as the second coming of christ.

So if you've seen any negative impressions plz point me in the right direction

Spoiler free thoughts after 6 hours:

- Intro is expectedly overhyped, but still nice.
- It looks good, but quite rough on my 46".
- Pace feels perfect, like U2.
- Listen mode is stupid, even my little sis was puzzled. Yeah it's optional but I hate having the option to turn it on.
- The encounters are intense, died several times on normal.
- Love how simple crafting and upgrades are, hate games which complicate this stuff.
- Searching for loot is fun because how scarce it is, never feels like work like other games.
- I like how there are some optional paths with risk and reward.
- Everything about the gameplay feels right, even when the game is playing itself.

So far this is the best game I have played in a long time, I recently quit all the major AAA releases after a couple of hours, so that's saying something.

DatDude

Banned
- Listen mode is stupid, even my little sis was puzzled. Yeah it's optional but I hate having the option to turn it on.

Dumbest complaint I've ever heard. I can see it being neat for people who need some help with the game/aren't hardcore gamers (like my gf).

Naughty Dog gives you the option to turn it completely off. Why even complain about it.

But regardless, how are the environments? Do they keep it constantly fresh? An what city are you currently in?

I'm soooo on the fence for this one. There seems to be a real disparity between people who really, really like it and people who really, really don't. I'm having trouble finding some middle ground, and it's a little disconcerting. I don't think I've had that kind of trouble in a long time.

Will probably pick it up anyway, but I really wish the demo was public or something.

Dude what? You sure you're not thinking of another game lol?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even when you turn listen mode off, it's still one of the upgrades. It's weirdly handled unless they changed it from the demo.

le.phat

really? you should be banned for that shit

Why ? This is my most hyped release since Dark Souls, and i wanted to share this vid with people who also can't wait and don't care about checking out how the game starts. If you don't want to watch, don't watch it. Either way, keep the hostility to yourself, buddy.

DatDude

Banned
it's the first fifteen minutes, calm down

I personally don't care. I've already seen it.

But still, spoilers should be left for the spoiler OT. Not the Regular OT. Especially when 90% of us still don't have the game..

And especially your baiting us to spoil ourselves (since you know many of us have poor will, and hate having to wait another week, and many people want to see this intro many our gasping about)

jony_m

very hyped. Between PS4 and LoU next week is gonna be crazy..

tumblr_m2bx6n6HJS1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

AJ_Wings

What?

You don't like it because it exists?

While it's mostly optional, I still would have preferred the leaning mechanics from the E3 demo. I did run into some areas where I had to use "bat vision" because the camera was way too zoomed in to Joel's back and it was particularly hard to look around corners without getting spotted.

HardRojo

I used to hate it too but I can sort of see why it was a necessary evil, if you're a casual who wants to experience the story but also want a bit of a challenge by not playing on easy then Listen Mode will be a welcome tool for you, otherwise the difficulty would only end up frustrating you and driving you away from this game, ND clearly didn't want the vocal casuals calling their game horrible because it was too difficult or something, luckily it is optional so I won't complain anymore about it.

Tookay

I personally don't care. I've already seen it.

But still, spoilers should be left for the spoiler OT. Not the Regular OT. Especially when 90% of us still don't have the game..

And especially your baiting us to spoil ourselves (since you know many of us have poor will, and hate having to wait another week, and many people want to see this intro many our gasping about)

It's a video game.

If someone spoils themselves on the first 15 minutes, they only have themselves to blame, both for getting way too invested in this and for having little restraint.

But regardless, how are the environments? Do they keep it constantly fresh? An what city are you currently in?
Missed your post. Yeah I never grew tired of a level, although most of them share the same theme. I'm currently in the city with the
big bridge
, forgot its' name.

jackrubyn

Is it known if the PS4 will be backwards compatible? I watched the opening of this game on YouTube, thinking I'd never buy it as I haven't had a Playstation since PS2, but I was very impressed by what I saw. Plus, the Xbox One hasn't really wowed me at all.

DatDude

Banned
Missed your post. Yeah I never grew tired of a level, although most of them share the same theme. I'm currently in city with the
big bridge
, forgot its' name.

Yellow bridge?
pitsburgh probably than

I have a question are you european or american?

Mariolee

the first fifteen minutes of TLOU

This is so incredible. The acting, the attention to detail, the graphics, the feels... Boys, we are in for one hell of a ride.

I caved. Holy shit, that was the most captivating first fifteen minutes of any videogame this generation, and maybe just in a while.

I didn't think I'd have to preorder the survival edition. I had no real reason to because it already has the preorder content. I'm hoping to find one on launch, or around that time, but I'm not holding my breath.

DatDude

Banned
Is it known if the PS4 will be backwards compatible? I watched the opening of this game on YouTube, thinking I'd never buy it as I haven't had a Playstation since PS2, but I was very impressed by what I saw. Plus, the Xbox One hasn't really wowed me at all.

From what I understand the ps4 will not be backwards compatiable.

Why not just buy a ps3? There's a shit ton of awesome games that aren't named the last of us.

- Intro is expectedly overhyped, but still nice.
- Pace feels perfect, like U2.
- The encounters are intense, died several times on normal.
- Love how simple crafting and upgrades are, hate games which complicate this stuff.
- Searching for loot is fun because how scarce it is, never feels like work like other games.
- I like how there are some optional paths with risk and reward.
- Everything about the gameplay feels right, even when the game is playing itself.

So far this is the best game I have played in a long time, I recently quit all the major AAA releases after a couple of hours, so that's saying something.

Awesome stuff, just what I wanted to read.

In terms of the AA? I play on a 60'' Plasma, and even stunning games can look slightly rough if they aren't native 1080p.

That said, I'm playing through Metro Last Light at the moment and think it looks beautiful. State of Decay is getting me through the wait nicely too.

I am really looking forward to TLOU. Right up my alley, and it is great to see the praise being heaped on Naughty Dog. Thoroughly deserved.

Just read the review in the Sun, one of the uks most read newspaper, for this and its quite a decent review for a paper. Anyway cut to the short the reviewer thinks its to good to give a mark out of ten, not quite sure how that works.

Just read the review in the Sun, one of the uks most read newspaper, for this and its quite a decent review for a paper. Anyway cut to the short the reviewer thinks its to good to give a mark out of ten, not quite sure how that works.

WAT? Do they usually put a score on their reviews?

jackrubyn

From what I understand the ps4 will not be backwards compatiable.

Why not just buy a ps3? There's a shit ton of awesome games that aren't named the last of us.

Nowadays it's mainly Rockstar's and Valve's IPs that I bother picking up. So if I bought a PS3, it would actually be pretty much only for TLoU. But I won't clutter up this thread with my indesicion. Thanks for the reply!

Valravn

I caved. Holy shit, that was the most captivating first fifteen minutes of any videogame this generation, and maybe just in a while.

Wow, only 13 minutes in and they managed to make me feel for the characters already.
I ordered the game just now, i had my doubts but this video washed them away.

Top Bottom