• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
They both drop it from time to time for me. As far as the infected dropping it goes, I just look at it as survivors who were carrying ammo when they got infected. Makes sense.

I think he is making a joke because infected seem to drop more ammo than soldiers, but the soldiers have guns in their hands as they die half the time.

Kind of funny, but I understand why ND did this. It would ruin the idea of scarce ammo if you got ammo from all the people you killed, because, you know, its a game and the body count is astronomical.

Does anyone else have the problem where items and pictures and stuff are all blurred out? Really kills the exploration. It fixed itself but now its back again.

Drek

Enters thread... Black bars... Black bars everywhere

Just FYI, a lot of the spoilers in this thread aren't storyline spoilers. We have a specific thread for that (unspoilered, so don't go peeking your head in until you're done). They've predominantly been about how to get through certain areas, techniques for encounters, etc.. They have some location specific details so I wouldn't recommend highlighting them all for you, but so far I haven't seen many big plot reveals of any amount in here (but I haven't read the whole thing post by post either).

Carl

The soundtrack to this game is freaking amazing. Gustavo Santaolalla is a music genius. Some absolutely beautiful music in here.

ironcreed

Banned
The soundtrack to this game is freaking amazing. Gustavo Santaolalla is a music genius. Some absolutely beautiful music in here.

Indeed, so happy I got it with my pre-order. I just sat there listening to it for awhile after playing last night. It was like meditation.

There's some messed up stuff in this game. Fuck...

Locations just get visually more impressive as the game goes on. Today I was playing and suddenly remembered some posts here saying it looks like crap and burst out laughing. Can't believe I'm seeing this lighting on PS3.

I'm not done yet but yeah, it's my game of the generation. When thinking about how I would score it I couldn't help but think how restricitive a 1/10 scale can be. In percentage I'd probably give it a 97%, if I had to choose between a 9 and a 10? Hell yeah I would give it a 10 like most reviewers did, that doesn't mean the game is perfect like some people like to imply.

Not sure how to explain my problem. First of all I never was big on stealth games but I really wanted to experience this one. And after a few first encounters I'm trying to spare as much ammo as I can and try and deal with infected without "wasting" supplies.
But it takes a lot of trial and error and after a while I'm not finding it fun anymore. On the other hand I know that I can't just go in guns blazing either as there is limited resources. So suddenly I'm "lost" trying to enjoy the story, animations, graphics, audio but at the same time dreading the "combat".

Any ideas folks?
Playing on Normal btw

StuBurns

Banned
Not sure how to explain my problem. First of all I never was big on stealth games but I really wanted to experience this one. And after a few first encounters I'm trying to spare as much ammo as I can and try and deal with infected without "wasting" supplies.
But it takes a lot of trial and error and after a while I'm not finding it fun anymore. On the other hand I know that I can't just go in guns blazing either as there is limited resources. So suddenly I'm "lost" trying to enjoy the story, animations, graphics, audio but at the same time dreading the "combat".

Any ideas folks?
Playing on Normal btw
One thing the game doesn't make really clear is that you don't have to approach the clickers from behind to shiv them. If you hadn't realized that, it's extremely useful.

btkadams

i'm just so happy that i can play this game. i can't play horror games because they all generally resort to cheap scares like shit jumping out at you all the time. i get so stressed out. HOWEVER, i love horror stories and enjoy watching someone play horror games. this game has the perfect balance for me. it has just as much tension during
daytime non-infected human stealth scenes
as it does with
nighttime infected stealth scenes.
i was nervous about my preorder because i was worried i wouldn't be able to get through it. i'm halfway there though. naughty dog found the perfect way to tell a story in a horror setting without alienating me.

DSmalls84

Any ideas folks?
Playing on Normal btw

It gets easier once you get better weapons and skill upgrades. Pay attention to the clickers and sneak around them when they are alseep and not moving. Besides that just gun down the runners they are not much of a threat. Stealth is much more helpful against armed human opponents than the infected. Also grab the Shiv Master and Weapon Sway upgrades first, they make the combat much easier.

smr00

Banned
I don't think there's much advice for that, just sneak up better. Watch out for shit on the floor though, if you stand on broken plates, it makes a noise.
Yeah i was being stupid and immediately figured it out when i got back in game.

Just finished the game and gonna start it again tonight. Such a great game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Any ideas folks?
Playing on Normal btw
How far in are you? I'll be honest, I wasn't really enjoying it that much out of the gate. The first 30 minutes were incredible but the following couple of hours dragged a bit with a mix of walking slowly combined with trial and error stealth segments. As the game progresses, however, I somehow found it to change with encounters becoming extremely interesting, varied, and dynamic. I cannot believe how cool some of the scenarios in the game have turned out to be.

Basically, everything from "Bill's town" onward has been excellent with each new area standing out more than the last.

derFeef

A bit LTTP but managed to grab my Ellie edition.
I avoided pretty much everything about that game, don't even know much about it's reception. See you again after I finished it :)

9069143014_43726a4000_z.jpg

Carl

Indeed, so happy I got it with my pre-order. I just sat there listening to it for awhile after playing last night. It was like meditation.

Yeah i got it with the game too. Just sat listening to it now and it's gorgeous. Absolutely incredible.

Drek

Any ideas folks?
Playing on Normal btw

1. You're supposed to "dread" combat to some degree. It's supposed to be tense and put you on the edge of surviving.

2. The big key to minimizing outright gun fights while not having to be the sneakiest bastard in the world is to stealth kill a few key enemies as you move through levels. I've said it in this thread before but it's worth repeating. An area might have 10-15 enemies in it but a lot of times you can get through easily by only killing one or two and being careful. It brings a nice level of tension to everything. Key strategies to this are:
A. learn their pattern and close from a reasonable distance sneaking in their footsteps.
B. merry-go-round around an object when they wrap around it. A lot of guards will turn around objects, if you keep sliding out of view you can loop around and kill 'em easy.
C. toss a brick/bottle off and one guy will go to check it out. Fall in behind him when he does for the kill.

3. You don't need to worry too much about ammo if you work the brick + melee combo well. Throwing a brick into an enemy stuns them, following that with a melee weapon is a one hit kill. This combo can be used (especially in the early game) to clear out large groups of enemies without using your ammo.

4. Use the gear at your disposal. As you go on you'll get three different types of thrown items you craft. They make a big difference in how the game plays.

5. Bottles and bricks are good for distraction too, not just stunning people.

6. Once you get the bow enjoy stealth killing like a boss.

Ricker

lol at Ellie after...not a big spoiler at all but just the same,it's just a comment she made after an event that had me laughing out loud for a few seconds,something that rarely happens in videogames...

The garage door that shuts down on some infected and she goes to Joel after,you have something on your feet, and you see an infected forearm and hand

About 7 hours in,things keep getting better better...

Joeki11a

Banned
Why this game doesnt have a Walking Dead dirty filter look?, this game looks too colorful and vivid to be scary. *omg here comes an infected in a lush beautiful sun down dusk area*

So does no one else think the game gets washed out in the supposed dark areas? As in the blacks are not dark enough, and you can pretty much see through the darkness. Some people have said this is the way the game is intended, while others have said they cant see through the darkness and it is indeed dark enough.

No its not my TV btw. Ive calibrated it, and it shows almost all sades of black.(using this http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm. I'm seeing 2-23 on my panny plasma.) Only way I can fix it, is by turning RGB full on, or turning my HDMI TV settings from light to dark, but then I pretty much fail that test, and other details in the game get lost.

Naughty Dog, fix your multiplayer shit.

Just glitched out of a game, and its sent me from 60 healthy survivors to 32 hungry and 18 sick

Fake edit: It booted me from Factions, when I went back in I'm back to 60 healthy. What the fuck is going one?

Ricker

Why this game doesnt have a Walking Dead dirty filter look?, this game looks too colorful and vivid to be scary. *omg here comes an infected in a lush beautiful sun down dusk area*

I freaked out in one of those area,I was sure it was clear but because of something I was crouching around anyway and entering a ward,right on my right inside a little open shed was a clicker,just standing there...he didnt see me but scared the hell out of me for a sec hehe...

The
sniper sequence then the cutscene
at the end of Pittsburgh... my chest

The facial animation for
Henry
is ridiculously good.

Joeki11a

Banned
There are sections which are straight up nasty.
I wanted to see a dirty Muted color almost even like a "The Road" look to it, the game looks very vivid and colorful in areas, I am standing there looking at the great vistas and great dusk sun, hearing a clicker in these areas dont scare me at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully next-generation developers can find a better solution to the problem that Listen Mode is a band-aid fix for.
What problem is that?

I'm getting ready to abandon it. I relied on it very heavily in the first 25% of the game, then too much in a few encounters following Lincoln, and have been easing off of it since. It was nice for reducing my deaths at first but it really makes Joel too much of a superhuman.

Dragon

Banned
Hopefully next-generation developers can find a better solution to the problem that Listen Mode is a band-aid fix for.

Having the option is fine. But it's certainly a different experience. My friend is playing on normal with listen mode on, I'm playing on hard with it off and man it's incredibly different.

StuBurns

Banned
I wanted to see a dirty Muted color almost even like a "The Road" look to it, the game looks very vivid and colorful in areas, I am standing there looking at the great vistas and great dusk sun, hearing a clicker in these areas dont scare me at all.
It's not a horror game. If you don't like that, that's certainly fair, but it wasn't really ever pitched as that, all the media we ever saw wasn't that. In fact, it was always about about the beauty of nature reclaiming the world.

However, keep playing, there are some dark, pretty unpleasant areas in the game which you might enjoy.

Beyond that, keep an eye on The Evil Within, it will be wonderfully disgusting.

Dude Abides

Banned
I shivved that guy and I've held on to the molotov ever since. As an FYI, you can "sneak up" on Clickers even directly straight-on in front of them, if you're just quiet enough.

You don't even have to kill that particular guy. I threw a bottle and drew him away, then brought the ladder down. They didn't hear the ladder.

If I had a headset (or the headset that's packaged with one of the special editions) or surround sound, I would've turned listen mode off.

What I'd appreciate more than what we go is only being able to see sound, not outlines of enemies. That way, you'd only see the concentric circles where there are footsteps, voice or weapons being reloaded.

Listen mode I think is a neat idea but it should be implemented differently, more like how it was in some of the Metal Gear games where you would get sound indicators around you but you couldn't see the actual person, just hear them when thy make noise or move.

If I had a headset (or the headset that's packaged with one of the special editions) or surround sound, I would've turned listen mode off.

What I'd appreciate more than what we go is only being able to see sound, not outlines of enemies. That way, you'd only see the concentric circles where there are footsteps, voice or weapons being reloaded.

That's what they did with the metal gear games on the PSP, you had sound indicators but couldn't see the enemy.

Though it still had the magic cheating third person corner camera look which kinda kills the point.

antitrop

When I was using my 5.1 I had to turn Listen Mode back on, even though I intended to play the game without it. Once I plugged some headphones in I was able to turn it back off.

Even a simple option to peek around corners would have been better than LM, without the dissonant effect of "This is too gamey".
The game feels "incomplete" with Listen Mode off, like something is missing. Because there is something missing.

Ourobolus

Banned
During the fight where (in the second town)
you have to open the gate with Henry, how did you guys deal with the generator and the guys on the upper level? Is there a stealthy way to take them out? I ended up turning off the generator and they almost immediately see me, so molotov + punching.
It just feels like there should be a way to stealthily do that sequence.

Going through the game on survivor, and it's pretty tough so far.

No story spoilers but I'll spoiler it anyway in case people want to go into survivor fresh

I did my first runthrough on normal and it's kind of shocking going from finding supplies and ingredients everywhere to every location being pretty sparse and most drawers and cabinets being empty. But of course there is a feeling of exhilaration when you finally find some alcohol to make a new health kit.

Sections with clickers are harder now as I refuse to shiv them. I want to save my shivs for locked doors. And I don't think you can find shivs just laying around anymore, aside from the first one. I went to where I was positive a shiv was located and it wasn't there. I did find some scissors in the area around where I thought it was, so maybe it does that instead. As a benefit though I'm saved some upgrade points that would have gone to using the shiv to save myself from clickers.

You can't go into listen mode, but I didn't really do this much in my first time through, so it's not that big of a deal.

Bricks and bottles seem to be a lot less numerous than before. I've sometimes had to search them out this time around.

Character and weapon upgrades seem about as plentiful as ever.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, definitely a lot more tense than my first time around.

Top Bottom