• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Manu

I'm not even halfway through the game and I'm seeing a lot of people say the ending is bad.

Should I lower my expectations?

When I was using my 5.1 I had to turn Listen Mode back on, even though I intended to play the game without it.

Once I plugged some headphones in I was able to turn it back off.

Even a simple option to peek around corners would have been better than LM, without the dissonant effect of "This is too gamey".

They just won't do such a thing because of how difficult it would make the game for the general public. Most stealth games give you a cheating camera peak and you got stuff like the x-ray vision in games and listen mode. It's for the casual gamer and I don't see any major title being released ever without any of these options in a stealth centric game.

For the hardcore, you got the option to turn it off at least.

dorkimoe

Can someone help explain multiplayer? Do i need to join a "clan" or something. Or do i just play games and unlock things? Not sure i understand the modes either :( only played one mode and everyone had grenades and destroyed us

Astery

It seems like people are getting into combat a lot. I've been playing for a little over 10 hours, and so far I've gotten into probably 4 or 5 combat scenarios, with maybe 2 or 3 of those being forced by the story.

I've been sneaking and stealth killing my way through all of the encounters so far. I'm not trying to play the game like Uncharted. There's a reason why there's no shooting from the hip on the R1 button. For me, fighting is a last resort. I take my time inching through areas, listening, and taking advantage of holes in enemy movement.

It's likely a way ND did to let a large portion of players play the way they want to (ie. more guns blazing action adventure, less stealthy MGS style) that makes the game more accessible and more likely to be commercially successful , without losing their vision of the game (stronly favors the stealthy MGS style approach).

The game definitely offers different elements that will attract different kind of gamers, but it's certainly not a game for everyone IMO. The game is over hyped in that sense.

Bladenic

The track that plays when (super late game spoilers)
when you see the giraffes
is AMAZING. Love it. That whole part was great.

Astery

I'm not even halfway through the game and I'm seeing a lot of people say the ending is bad.

I think it's good, much food for thought.

Some may not like it as it's not some generic Hollywood style ending.

Grisby

Early/mid winter spoilers. I haven't gotten
used to seeing Ellie get bit or choked or what have you. Her knife animations are freaking awesome though.

Damn. Most uncomfortable thing for me by far.

JawzPause

Can someone help explain multiplayer? Do i need to join a "clan" or something. Or do i just play games and unlock things? Not sure i understand the modes either :( only played one mode and everyone had grenades and destroyed us

The more you progress & the better you play, the bigger your "clan" gets. If you connect your facebook (which won't post shit on your wall) clan members will be your actual friends and it's pretty funny to see your friends "spit roasting a racoon" (I shit you not).
Survival is a no respawn team deathmatch with a first to 4 rounds win. The other is just standard team death match with respawns. Survival is much more fun & intense.

I don't think you could say it is bad in anyway. It may not be what every one wants but it is a great game with an amazing story and a thought provoking ending.

P.S. I am replaying this game on survivor and I would like to recommend people to play on normal with listen mode off. (for first play through) I played hard with listen mode on for my play through and I though it was a little to tough but also am really liking having listen mode off now that I am on survivor. So I think a good balance for most people would be normal with listen mode off.

I'm really impressed with the lenght, they could've made it half as long and it would still be in line with most campaigns this gen. Kudos to them for going the extra mile.

I freaked the fuck out when Ellie started whistling. I thought it was a clicker:lol

New enemy type OMG run!!!

smr00

Banned

I will tag my response even though it doesn't directly spoil anything, some people still might take my opinions as spoilerish, giving them an idea of how it ends.

To me the ending felt extremely underwhelming and left more to be desired. It ended in a way that you immediately assume a sequel and DLC is coming which is fine if they are going to do both but from a stand alone experience it just feels kind of flat at the end. Like this is this? Went through all of this shit and this is it? This is the reward players get? It didn't feel like a proper ending to me it felt like a end of a chapter or a season finale of a show. It would be a goddamn shame if they don't do more with this game.

only 38% in so i know i have long way to go..

but how does replaying work? I'm playing on normal currently.. after i beat it can i play again on hard with my acquired skills etc i got on normal?

Effnine

A lot of people have a lot of different opinions. I find it best to avoid seeing opinions until you've actually experienced it yourself. Don't stop the ride, finish it.

StuBurns

Banned
Did you play the same game as me? That was not a brilliant ending, it was a lazy ending.

Don't get me wrong i absolutely love the game but the ending wasn't brilliant, perfect or anything above "eh".
It's not even close to lazy, it's actually extremely bold.

Finished this game last night, had to do it in two days because it was a rental, so i had to rush. Started on normal and switched to baby easy so i could die less.

I loved the game, it´s AAA for me, but i still like Uncharted better. Too much looting and saving itens for me.

It felt like every area i was in i kept pressing triangle, triangle, triangle trying to find stuff.

That and also the combat/shooting could be more refined.

Still, it´s one of the best games i´ve played on the PS3 and it had that "can´t stop it need to keep going for more 10 minutes" feel that made stay up until 7am from saturday to sunday.

Pretty much any other comment i would have needs to be made in the spoiler thread, because i feel like i need to read a book to understand the story.

Did you play the same game as me? That was not a brilliant ending, it was a lazy ending.

Don't get me wrong i absolutely love the game but the ending wasn't brilliant, perfect or anything above "eh".

If you played the Last of Us, then yeah, we played the same game.

I don't see how it was lazy. Playing through the journey of the game it was pretty clear that Joel wasn't going to let Ellie die. The ending wasn't your cliche happy ending, or cliche sad ending. Ellie and Joel both live. Ellie more than likely knows Joel was lying, but they both got what they wanted. Ellie didn't didn't really want to be alone, and Joel found someone that mattered to him again.

Finished this game last night, has to do it in two days because it was a rental, so i had to. Started on normal and switched to baby easy so i could die less.

I loved the game, it´s AAA for me, but i still like Uncharted better. Too much looting and saving itens for me.

It felt like every area i was in i kept pressing triangle, triangle, triangle trying to find stuff.

That and also the combat/shooting could be more refined.

Still, it´s one of the best games i´ve played on the PS3 and it had that "can´t stop it need to keep going for more 10 minutes" feel that made stay up until 7am from saturday to sunday.

Pretty much any other comment i would have needs to be made in the spoiler thread, because i feel like i need to read a book to understand the story.

Heh, I had this same thought. Now, I'm playing on survivor and I miss it.

pje122

Would anyone who has completed the game be willing to upload their save file for those of us who lost major progress due to the save bug? Not 100% sure it will work for this game but I would like to try. This process has worked for me with other PS3 games in the past. Thank you.

Bladenic

Inching ever closer to the end, do not want it to end. It's a testament to the game being so good that even after 16 hours I want more.

void666

Banned
I started a new game on survival and figured it didn't have crafting and upgrades. Is this true?
So far i found medkits lying around but not resources to make new stuff. Granted i'm very early in the game.

Doran902

7 hours and 18 minutes, 55 percent complete

idk if i will hit the 16-20 hour mark at this pace

ive cleared many areas without any stealth, i hope that doesnt make the game significantly shorter, upgraded shotgun and nail bomb / molotov, so satisfying

I started a new game on survival and figured it didn't have crafting and upgrades. Is this true?
So far i found medkits lying around but not resources to make new stuff. Granted i'm very early in the game.

Crafting unlocks at the office building and weapon upgrades at the first work table which is a bit after. Around the 2-3 hour mark.

dorkimoe

The more you progress & the better you play, the bigger your "clan" gets. If you connect your facebook (which won't post shit on your wall) clan members will be your actual friends and it's pretty funny to see your friends "spit roasting a racoon" (I shit you not).
Survival is a no respawn team deathmatch with a first to 4 rounds win. The other is just standard team death match with respawns. Survival is much more fun & intense.

Thanks. I didnt want to connect to FB, but it sounds like its not bad. So there isnt even real "clans" I think I played the mode with respawns, it was fun, got to see some cool melee kills, but felt like the map was a tad small and the little grenades on the ground were too powerful.

Top Bottom