• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

7 hours and 18 minutes, 55 percent complete

idk if i will hit the 16-20 hour mark at this pace

ive cleared many areas without any stealth, i hope that doesnt make the game significantly shorter, upgraded shotgun and nail bomb / molotov, so satisfying
Yeah I'm 89% after 14 hours (Noooooo!!!).

I just started
Spring
. It seems like the climax is over and the story will be slowing down now. Any more action or open areas or is this bascially the end?

Don't want it to end :(

Would anyone who has completed the game be willing to upload their save file for those of us who lost major progress due to the save bug? Not 100% sure it will work for this game but I would like to try. This process has worked for me with other PS3 games in the past. Thank you.

I thought that hasn't worked since the trophy system was implemented?

s-bojan

Banned
I'm not even halfway through the game and I'm seeing a lot of people say the ending is bad.

Should I lower my expectations?

It's not bad, in fact it is pretty good.
But I expected that it will blow my mind (something like Infinite's ending) ... and that did not happen.

dalin80

Banned
Oh fuck, the atmosphere got to me and iam on a break.

mid game? spoilers-

climbing my way up out of the water logged hotel basement through a very very dark area, finally a door to escape... BANG! Key needed, oh I hope nothing heard that bang. BANG! BANG! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? Oh it's the fucking music even that wants me dead now in this watery basement now full of freakish noises and figures.

Iam having a cup of tea.

Spat_triate

Did Henry and Sam remind anyone else of Michael and Walt from Lost?
Saw it coming from miles off, but their deaths still shook me

I'm really not liking the forced combat scenarios where you have to use a shit ton of resources to kill dudes who often drop nothing.

Apparently, as a final "fuck you", bandits have developed the technology to create rips in time-space, which upon detecting no more heartbeat, warp every last round of ammunition into the fucking nether-realm.

Superflat

Apparently, as a final "fuck you", bandits have developed the technology to create rips in time-space, which upon detecting no more heartbeat, warp every last round of ammunition into the fucking nether-realm.

Heheh, yea I stealth kill as many humans as possible but even then, no ammo 95% of the time, even though I'm pretty sure they're carrying guns :[

Most of the ammo I was able to pick off of bodies in the game so far are from infected, strangely enough.

krae_man

Heheh, yea I stealth kill as many humans as possible but even then, no ammo 95% of the time, even though I'm pretty sure they're carrying guns :[

Most of the ammo I was able to pick off of bodies in the game so far are from infected, strangely enough.

Yeah I noticed that too. They seem to have unlimited ammo while attacking, then none when you kill them.

um guys... little help please :(

im at the lab in the (fall section) and found the way in through a broken window (im not in the lab yet. how do i get int there :SSS???

lol, after standing around , the game gave me a hint that there was a garbage crate thing.

....moving on!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If I missed one of the optional conversations (I missed the very first one, because I didn't know what that icon meant at that point), and thus missed the trophy for doing them all, what do I need to do to get it? Do they all need to happen during the same playthrough, or will it unlock when I get the one I missed on my next playthrough (on a higher difficulty)?

Just completed The Last of Us on hard and I clocked 16 hours.

Just wow. I think this is the best game I've played on the PS3. I loved everything about it. Naughty Dog has slayed me.

Just completed The Last of Us on hard and I clocked 16 hours.

Just wow. I think this is the best game I've played on the PS3. I loved everything about it. Naughty Dog has slayed me.
I just started
Spring
. It seems like the climax is over and the story will be slowing down now. Any more action or open areas or is this bascially the end?

Yeah I'm 89% after 14 hours (Noooooo!!!).

I just started
Spring

Don't want it to end :(

Oh there's more action. It definitely isn't winding down quite yet.

I just want to say congrats to Naughty Dog for one of the top 5 games I've played this generation. The story was brilliantly told, had a real sense of emotional weight, well structured and lengthy. The locations were varied and interesting. The characters were also excellent and felt human.

Ourobolus

Banned
um guys... little help please :(

im at the lab in the (fall section) and found the way in through a broken window (im not in the lab yet. how do i get int there :SSS???

That took me a minute too.
There's a dumpster nearby that you can push down the hill into the gate. It'll break the gate open, then use the dumpster to boost yourself onto the truck, then climb in the window.

Superflat

Oh there's more action. It definitely isn't winding down quite yet.

Oh nice, I just started that section too and I'm happy there's a good bit more to it.

Rarely do I want 'linear' games to go on for more than 10 hours, but here I am at 16, not wanting this game to end anytime soon.

Some of the hardest encounters in the game left, actually
Okay, great

Cause in a movie, that whole part with
David and Ellie
would have been the last part before the end. It certainly felt like it

So at least there's still action

How much longer would you estimate? I've already played for 14hrs. I'm going to be really pissed when the end finally comes because this game and story is amazing

LegendX48

I will tag my response even though it doesn't directly spoil anything, some people still might take my opinions as spoilerish, giving them an idea of how it ends.

To me the ending felt extremely underwhelming and left more to be desired. It ended in a way that you immediately assume a sequel and DLC is coming which is fine if they are going to do both but from a stand alone experience it just feels kind of flat at the end. Like this is this? Went through all of this shit and this is it? This is the reward players get? It didn't feel like a proper ending to me it felt like a end of a chapter or a season finale of a show. It would be a goddamn shame if they don't do more with this game.
That whole feeling of - spoiler tags just in case -
this is it? was kind of the point, like a punch to the gut.

Carl

Okay, great

Cause in a movie, that whole part with
David and Ellie
would have been the last part before the end. It certainly felt like it

So at least there's still action

How much longer would you estimate? I've already played for 14hrs. I'm going to be really pissed when the end finally comes because this game and story is amazing

2 hours or so.

9.5 hours and 63%. Game just continues to rock and I hear it only get's crazier from here on out! I can't fathom this. I just can't. Playing on hard, no sight, I'm guessing I still have a good 7-9 hours left. HOLY SHIT.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So, there aren't any "making of" in this game? I loved that all the Uncharted had them...

They were supposed to be extended version of those making of videos they uploaded on YouTube, right?

Vire

So, there aren't any "making of" in this game? I loved that all the Uncharted had them...

They were supposed to be extended version of those making of videos they uploaded on YouTube, right?

Unfortunately some asshole marketing exec thought it would be a great idea to make the making of 90 minute feature exclusive to Season Pass owners.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm sure it will, I'm getting the season pass anyway though since I want the Single Player content and the documentary.

So I guess it worked.

Oh well.

Wait what.
Single player DLCs?
Just skins and weapons or new story bits?

Vire

Wait what.
Single player DLCs?
Just skins and weapons or new story bits?

So1gYyi.png

Take what you will from that. The season-pass is only $20 though, so who knows if it'll actually be anything with substance.

So1gYyi.png

Take what you will from that. The season-pass is only $20 though, so who knows if it'll actually be anything with substance.
This is ND's first single player DLC ever, to their most critical acclaimed game ever. I'd be shocked if the DLC is not substantial

Can someone answer a relatively spoilery question for me?

yes or no: in most stories or games of this pedigree, generally the conclusion of the story doesn't really have any kind of emotional impact or twist or message -- it's literally just like "we made it! roll credits!" videogames rarely have any POIGNANCY in their stories, so I just want to ask, without any specific details... does this story wrap up in an interesting or poignant way? I don't mean like some kind of life-affirming plot point or such, but just something beyond either yay we made it or just some kind of downer ending with no point to it? nothing annoys me more than a great story and character setup but an ending that doesn't really DO anything interesting or thoughtful.

I just want to get my expectations on the right level before moving on so that I'm not as disappointed later on.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I'm really not liking the forced combat scenarios where you have to use a shit ton of resources to kill dudes who often drop nothing.

I IMMEDIATELY made a Lost joke to my girlfriend when they showed up.

I rarely spend that many resources when in combat. I usually come out with my pack about as full as I do going in.

Pranay

yes or no: in most stories or games of this pedigree, generally the conclusion of the story doesn't really have any kind of emotional impact or twist or message -- it's literally just like "we made it! roll credits!" videogames rarely have any POIGNANCY in their stories, so I just want to ask, without any specific details... does this story wrap up in an interesting or poignant way? I don't mean like some kind of life-affirming plot point or such, but just something beyond either yay we made it or just some kind of downer ending with no point to it? nothing annoys me more than a great story and character setup but an ending that doesn't really DO anything interesting or thoughtful.

It's a very thoughtful and least cliched ending. A grey ending not a black/white ending

It's a very thoughtful and least cliched ending. A grey ending not a black/white ending

Thank god. I'm just really broken after stuff like Mass Effect 3. IMO there's no fucking point of having a story that just doesn't go anywhere or doesn't say anything. "That's a wrap" endings piss me off. There's nothing inherently wrong with just having a story that does all it needs to do especially in a videogame, but with the care and effort that clearly went into this, I'm expecting something a tad better than the norm.

antitrop

Getting past the bloater (with the keycard) after you pull the generator in
Pittsburgh
is easily the most intense moment of the game so far, for me.

Grisby

Couple questions about MP.

So, is your avatar random when a match starts? You only earn parts when you kill an enemy right?

If I upgrade the weapons do they stay upgraded permanently or is it a match deal?

Drek

Use dem bricks!

I just want to get my expectations on the right level before moving on so that I'm not as disappointed later on.
Discussion about ending without details but talking about tone:
I felt it was a great bit of closure to the character development we got throughout the entire game. The characters and their development were by far the strongest part of what was otherwise a very strong game, and the ending is not black and white at all, very gray. What happens, to me at least, adds a ton of depth to the characters involved.

Couple questions about MP.

So, is your avatar random when a match starts? You only earn parts when you kill an enemy right?

If I upgrade the weapons do they stay upgraded permanently or is it a match deal?

Yes, you're character is different, but you maintain your cosmetic choices. You earn parts from killing enemies, headshots being more. They do not carry over from game to game.

Top Bottom