• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

dab0ne

Probably the best story I've ever seen in a game. The narrative and production value is absolutely phenomenal. The only thing close to it this gen is Red Dead and I think I like TLoU's a little more. I want to sit and watch a friend who hasn't played it yet, play through the whole game, just so I can watch their face and enjoy the story one more time. I absolutely loved it.

antitrop

The emergent gameplay scenarios that happen in this are absolutely incredible.

So many options and so many ways to approach each situation. I hope I still want to replay this game after I finish it, because after I clear almost every room I think to myself "I wonder what it would have been like to try it that way".

Beating I Am Alive on the highest difficulty was good training for this game lol.
That section in the
sewers
took its toll on my supplies though, almost ran completely out of ammo.

What's that line Ellie likes? Endure and Survive? Would make a good title for the OT.

the documentary is for those who bought the pass the day the game came out, otherwise you're out of luck

This is so damn shitty. Anyone check if it's on YT already? I still haven't finished the game, it's probably full of spoilers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

So many options and so many ways to approach each situation. I hope I still want to replay this game after I finish it, because after I clear almost every room I think to myself "I wonder what it would have been like to try it that way".

I'm gonna start replaying it right now. Beat it yesterday. I don't feel even close to done with this game, it's like an awesome movie that you want to rewatch right away after seeing it for the first time. This time I'm doing Survivor, I suspect it's gonna be a rather different experience (did Normal the first time through).

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm in (mid game spoilers)
the hotel, just fell down an elevator, and there's water everywhere. I don't even want to know what's in there

MDSLKTR

Yeah I'm actually looking foward to restarting a checkpoint if I fuck up my approach, I don't even get frustrated I just smile. The gameplay hook in this game is really something else.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Did the music ever strike anyone else as Silent Hill-esque at times? Think it was because of the mixture of industrial music and heavy guitar use, but it was the first non-Silent Hill game where the music made me think of Silent Hill.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished it. Great stuff, very tempted now by the season pass. Have ND even hinted if it occurs after the game, a side story or anything at all ?

Drek

Funny how Sony getting famed for anti-DRM and put a online pass with this game.

A practice that made sense in a free to play online infrastructure (servers could be used far longer than a single customer would expect due to used resales, with the company receiving no money to service all these new customers) and is now ending with their move to a fee required for online.

I'm in (mid game spoilers)
the hotel, just fell down an elevator, and there's water everywhere. I don't even want to know what's in there

That's the part I'm on. The last time a game has terrified me this much was probably Resident Evil 2 when I was a kid years ago. The tension in this game is on a whole nother level.

antitrop

I haven't felt this way about a game since 2005, when Resident Evil 4 came out. I suppose Dark Souls, but that game took me 60 hours to beat and by 30 I was already feeling like "Okay, if the ending came right now I wouldn't be upset".

That "I could play this game forever and I hope it doesn't end soon" feeling. Even after ~10 hours of Bioshock Infinite I was ready for the game to be over and to see the conclusion. (And then it went for 5 hours after that which weren't quite up to the same level of quality)

Not this one, though.

I've played few games where it keeps getting so much better as it goes on. So few games have that kind of experience. I can name probably less than 5 off the top of my head.

8hrs, 46% complete. Can't stop playing.

Superflat

A practice that made sense in a free to play online infrastructure (servers could be used far longer than a single customer would expect due to used resales, with the company receiving no money to service all these new customers) and is now ending with their move to a fee required for online.

Yea, the GB interview surprised me when they said they're counting on the subscription fee to make online passes a thing of the past.

On another note, I want so badly to play TLOU right now but I feel like I'm really close to the end, and don't want to reach the credits :[

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Damn... this is a big ass download. :(

Fuck, should have bought the retail disc while I was at the store... I am dumb.

edit: I only get .75 mb/s from PSN... I hope ND servers are faster.

antitrop

Ya, 24GB.

This game even puts most of my Steam download sizes to shame. Dat BluRay.

I'm glad, too, because the pre-rendered cutscenes look so much better than the in-game engine. No aliasing and a steady frame rate, I mean.

spats

I haven't felt this way about a game since 2005, when Resident Evil 4 came out. I suppose Dark Souls, but that game took me 60 hours to beat and by 30 I was already feeling like "Okay, if the ending came right now I wouldn't be upset".

That "I could play this game forever and I hope it doesn't end soon" feeling. Even after ~10 hours of Bioshock Infinite I was ready for the game to be over and to see the conclusion. (And then it went for 5 hours after that which weren't quite up to the same level of quality)

Not this one, though.

Finishing the game was bittersweet. One one hand my body was physically destroyed after an 8-hour binge gaming session so I was happy go to bed. On the other it broke my heart that the story came to an end. I could've just kept playing and playing to find out what happens next. :(

Wow, did anyone realize that
David
was voiced by
Nolan North
before the credits?

That was quite an against-type character for him.

I played The Last of Us 13 hours straight on Hard Mode, no listen mode. I just couldn't put it down, from Bill's town onward it's absolutely engrossing gaming, very well paced between the variety of encounters and the natural, more mundane quiet moments.

And then it was over :(

Evolved1

Ya, 24GB.

I'm glad, too, because the pre-rendered cutscenes look so much better than the in-game engine. No aliasing and a steady frame rate, I mean.

But having pre-rendered cutscenes... does that mean the special outfits in replays/NG+ won't show up in the cutscenes?

omonimo

Banned
Just completed The Last of Us on hard and I clocked 16 hours.

Just wow. I think this is the best game I've played on the PS3. I loved everything about it. Naughty Dog has slayed me.

Just imagine them with 8 GB of GDDR5 what they can do. My God, is too much for my hearth.

nowai

Ya, 24GB.

There is tons of aliasing, they just blur everything to hell.

Save file says I'm 62% completed. I just saw a very big moment go down
dude commits suicide
, and I've arrived in
Wyoming

How many hours would you say I have left? I'm trying to estimate if I can finish this before I leave for a trip later this week.

omonimo

Banned
I played The Last of Us 13 hours straight on Hard Mode, no listen mode. I just couldn't put it down, from Bill's town onward it's absolutely engrossing gaming, very well paced between the variety of encounters and the natural, more mundane quiet moments.

And then it was over :(

I haven't the courage to play this game at hard mode. Some part are incredibly frightening to normal I can't my image what could to happen to my mind.

daoster

So I just reached
The Capitol Building
, and I have to say...this game has not been very scary at all.

However... The feeling of suspense with every enemy encounter, the fact that I am having to plan ever single move and attack, the stress that I feel...man, I wish I had had more time this weekend to play more!

So I just reached
The Capitol Building
, and I have to say...this game has not been very scary at all.

However... The feeling of suspense with every enemy encounter, the fact that I am having to plan ever single move and attack, the stress that I feel...man, I wish I had had more time this weekend to play more!

You're still in the beginning, it gets a lot more scary in my opinion.

Evolved1

and you could have just bought it on a disc and got the same experience, but instantly been able to play it.

I know dude... I'm filled with regret atm.

I went digital because I'm worried about my PS3 lately... feels bad man.

I thought the ND severs were supposed to be fast.

edit: I only get .75 mb/s from PSN... I hope ND servers are faster.

Ever since I gave up on Wifi and wired my PS3 things download pretty quick.

I feel like I waited less than 20 minutes for this to download 67%, when you can start playing. Quicker and more convenient than going to the store.

Top Bottom