• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Carl

So I just reached
The Capitol Building
, and I have to say...this game has not been very scary at all.

However... The feeling of suspense with every enemy encounter, the fact that I am having to plan ever single move and attack, the stress that I feel...man, I wish I had had more time this weekend to play more!

You're literally 3 hours into a ~12 hour game...

Carl

Save file says I'm 62% completed. I just saw a very big moment go down
dude commits suicide
, and I've arrived in
Wyoming

How many hours would you say I have left? I'm trying to estimate if I can finish this before I leave for a trip later this week.

Uhm... Like 6 hours, maybe more. Depends how quick you play.

Just finished it and well, it didnt live up to the hype and 10/10s for me

Didnt care for the ending (I got "spoiled" about an ending that turned out to be false, which I now would have preferred), would have liked a slower development of Joels character, and there was a few frustrating situations
Maybe im more of an Uncharted guy but this felt inferior to UC2 as a whole.

8/10 would play again

Carl

Just finished it and well, it didnt live up to the hype and 10/10s for me

Didnt care for the ending (I got "spoiled" about an ending that turned out to be false, which I now would have preferred), would have liked a slower development of Joels character, and there was a few frustrating situations
Maybe im more of an Uncharted guy but this felt inferior to UC2 as a whole.

8/10 would play again

Come to the spoiler thread and tells us what you mean

AngryMoth

Just finished.

Played the game on hard and with listen mode turned off. Very glad I did, was just the right level of difficulty. Only occasionally encountered a section where I died multiple times in succession, and I was always low on ammo but rarely ran out. Couldn't play in longer than 3 hours stretches because it was so tense and draining.

The storytelling is perhaps the best I've ever seen in a game, and the combat is extremely well designed. There are a fair number of things that bugged me, for example they repeat themselves a few too many times with the 'get Ellie across the water' and 'give me a boost!' scenarios, but they're all small things and overall it's an absolutely incredible game.

This may be me projecting what I wanted out of the game but I had got the impression that they were going to take on the mass murder complaint oft levelled at Uncharted by having a far lower body count and making you feel bad about the killing people. I feel like the game attempts this a little bit with the overheard enemy dialogue etc, but in my opinion it doesn't go nearly far enough and I felt a little let down by this to begin with. And you still kill a fuuuckton of dudes over the course of game. Probably my biggest criticism is that the number of occasions where you are forced to kill everyone should be far less, making it so you choose to ghost through the majority of the game and keep your body count at a believable number. However eventually I accepted that the game just wasn't being that ambitious and once I stopped judging it on what it isn't I was still left with an immensely entertaining experience.

Easily my favourite game of the year so far and one of the best of the generation. Looking forward to playing on survival. And multiplayer! Big fan of uncharted 2 online so I'm interested to see how Naughty Dog has done with this one. I have a feeling I will like it.

Oh and one more thing. This is an example of a perfectly self-contained story. There are plenty of ways that they could do a sequel but none that they should. Another new IP please!

Edit: quick question. I think I heard somewhere that you can't change the difficulty when you start new game plus. Is this true? Would be nice not to have to play twice on survival to get all the trophies!

Truant

I think what makes the game work is that there's no dissonance between the gameplay and the narrative.

Both Joel and Ellie are ruthless killers in the cutscenes/story and during the game.

antitrop

The scene where Joel shows Ellie
how to shoot a rifle
is absolutely incredible.

This is a voice actor and actress at the absolute top of their careers. And the detail in the faces... unreal.

Bladenic

I do wish there would have been slightly less human enemies but oh well.

As for sequels, there's a ridiculous amount of potential. However, personally, I don't see how they could top this one. Yes, it's ND and they have topped themselves time and again. But with like Uncharted, it was great but there's was plenty of room for improvement in all areas. There room to improve here but I can't see them topping the story at all, and that's the heart of the game.

I would LOVE DLC or prequel detailing the
20 years between intro and game proper. Or the small time skips in the game. Or even something from the perspective of a Firefly like Marlene or even David. Or Bill.
The possibilities are endless but I still can't help feel that the game is perfect as it is and I'd rather ND make another amazing new IP.

roughly 50% in

Some of the most intense stealth encounters i've ever experienced in this game. Playing on hard with listen mode off, and sometimes it takes me like 20-30 minutes to clear through a section. The
bookstore in Pittsburgh
was amazingly fun to go through. The bow feels satisfying as hell to use too. Game keeps getting better and better. I can already tell i'm going to love playing through this again on NG+.

Darkkn

Is there any info about what the DLC is going to be? I suppose MP maps and stuff? I don't see what the point of Season Pass is if there is no solid promise of what it's going to get you.

Finished the game yesterday. It was amazing how the game just kept getting better until the end. If games were even close to this quality, craftsmanship and story, the AAA industry would not be in such a trouble.

Fantasmo

I do wish there would have been slightly less human enemies but oh well.

As for sequels, there's a ridiculous amount of potential. However, personally, I don't see how they could top this one. Yes, it's ND and they have topped themselves time and again. But with like Uncharted, it was great but there's was plenty of room for improvement in all areas. There room to improve here but I can't see them topping the story at all, and that's the heart of the game.

I would LOVE DLC or prequel detailing the
20 years between intro and game proper. Or the small time skips in the game. Or even something from the perspective of a Firefly like Marlene or even David. Or Bill.
The possibilities are endless but I still can't help feel that the game is perfect as it is and I'd rather ND make another amazing new IP.

I'm glad I'm starting to read this more and more from people. Games that basically complete their story arc do not need sequels. This game was everything I wanted and more. And I still wanted more scenes because I liked the characters so much. But that doesn't mean it would fit, or that another full game would be as masterfully done.

Besides, whatever Naughty Dog does next will have a similar level of quality.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Opinions, opinions.

I still like Uncharted better, but the good thing is, both are great games. Last of Us has better story, Uncharted has better gameplay.

Not for me it doesn't, not by a long shot. Uncharted isn't a particularly great shooter whilst TLOU does what it does combat wise very well.

Lingitiz

Opinions, opinions.

I still like Uncharted better, but the good thing is, both are great games. Last of Us has better story, Uncharted has better gameplay.

The Last of Us feels like a culmination of what ND tried to do with Uncharted. UC is really about great story, acting, pacing, and variety. Often though it feels like the combat encounters aren't as well thought out and end up just being chaotic shootouts versus a shitload of enemies.

TLOU does all of those things but focuses heavily on each encounter. There's not a lot of moments in this game where I feel like i'm being asked to fight through unbalanced scenarios like in UC3. I think of the shipwreck sequence in UC3 as an example of an attempt to put thought into the fights, but the sheer amount of enemies makes it more frustrating than it should be. TLOU has less me dying a lot less, but its balanced out by the need to conserve gear.

jediyoshi

damn I just finished the game, really enjoyed the game gameplay story, I'm happy to see that there is a new game plus :), I cant wait to see what ND can do with the PS4 the only thing I didnt like to much is the multiplayer.

The scene where Joel shows Ellie
how to shoot a rifle
is absolutely incredible.

This is a voice actor and actress at the absolute top of their careers. And the detail in the faces... unreal.

The part right before
where she shoots the guy to save Joel
was fantastic too. I just got to this part in the game. After he gets pissed off at her and they have their little fight, she hangs back like, 10 paces and keeps leaning against walls looking all dejected and pouty. Little attention to detail like that is making this game really shine for me.

Also, at that part in the game
when the dudes are just standing in a circle talking about how their guys are getting cut down and Ellie is up there with the rifle, I threw a nail bomb into the middle of their circle while they were still talking and took out most of them. Being able to break up scripted sequences like that is awesome to me and something more games should have.

Someone wrote in the thread that the user is in need of a complete save. I uploaded it, if anyone wants it, PM me. Its for the Europe region games. (BLES-PAL-Region 2)

Vire

Looking forward to it then...using my PS3 headset to play this too (can't imagine playing this game another way), it's been awhile since I've played a scary game.
I didn't find it particularly scary, just extremely tense and unnerving.

I wouldn't go into this thinking it's a horror game.

I'm glad I'm starting to read this more and more from people. Games that basically complete their story arc do not need sequels. This game was everything I wanted and more. And I still wanted more scenes because I liked the characters so much. But that doesn't mean it would fit, or that another full game would be as masterfully done.

Besides, whatever Naughty Dog does next will have a similar level of quality.
Really the only story DLC I'd want would be the chronicle of how Joel went from loving father to cold violent black market smuggler. I mean, that kind of story could be even darker and bleaker than the main story, given that Joel was a Hunter and killed innocents and that it was an era in which society was collapsing. I'd love to see that

onQ123

Wasn't this made by someone on Gaf? Sony just posted it on their facebook page.

225828_10151728690111803_563008186_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...86905261802.155462.14104316802&type=1&theater

AngryMoth

I didn't find it particularly scary, just extremely tense and unnerving.

I wouldn't go into this thinking it's a horror game.
I agree for the most part, but there are a couple of moment that I did find very scary.
When you're in the hotel and you can hear a lot of infected around you, but you know you have to turn on the generator which is going to make a shitload of noise
. I turned the lights on for that part.

The part right before
where she shoots the guy to save Joel
was fantastic too. I just got to this part in the game. After he gets pissed off at her and they have their little fight, she hangs back like, 10 paces and keeps leaning against walls looking all dejected and pouty. Little attention to detail like that is making this game really shine for me.

Also, at that part in the game
when the dudes are just standing in a circle talking about how their guys are getting cut down and Ellie is up there with the rifle, I threw a nail bomb into the middle of their circle while they were still talking and took out most of them. Being able to break up scripted sequences like that is awesome to me and something more games should have.
I also love how natural the random scripted dialogue moments feel. Like when
Sam and Ellie play darts
. That didn't have to happen, I didn't have to go through that house, but because I took my time, this little moment happened and it just felt realistic and not scripted at all.

antitrop

Gotta get dat IGN quote.
Even if it HAD to be an IGN quote I'm sure they could have found something better in Moriarty's review than that piece of generic whatever-the-fuck.

Of course it's a "masterpiece" look at the review scores right above that quote. Put a quote that actually says something about the game there.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ever since I gave up on Wifi and wired my PS3 things download pretty quick.

I feel like I waited less than 20 minutes for this to download 67%, when you can start playing. Quicker and more convenient than going to the store.

Well, I just went through the bother of wiring it up to bypass wifi... doesn't seem to have improved speed much.

Oh well. At least I didn't have to restart the entire thing after switching to wired.

So JustPushStart did an article on Survivor mode

-Crafting items, ammo, health items and melee weapons will be limited. If you thought the crafting supplies that you get in Hard mode is lacking, it will be more scarce in Survivor mode.
-The items that you see in your first play through might not be in the place you remember them in Survivor mode.
-Enemies are twice as hard to kill and the damage they deal will double than before.
-The amount of parts, supplements and collectibles will remain and be left untouched.
-Joel’s listening ability is disabled
-no button prompt appears when you sneak behind them. You must know the choke, stealth kill button, and the usual square at QTE events

Is the bolded part true? I'd hate that, makes absolutely no sense and would ruin the realistic feeling of the combat

Top Bottom