• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's Amir0x what do you think...

36 hours?! How is that even possible.

Idk... I'm always way slower than most of gaf. Idk what Ami does... I'd guess he is slower with games he likes and fast with those he doesn't?

ABsurd LONG. I already have 36 hours playtime lol

Did you a die a lot too?

Because I die A LOT. There was this one part before this where I was in a dark hallway and tess and ellie were waiting for me to clear out the area. I think it's when you first meet the Runners. I died way too much there.

Amir0x

Banned
It's Amir0x what do you think...

36 hours?! How is that even possible.

I'm just a tiny bit past where you are (like minutes) and I'm at 47% complete in 8hrs 10min.

I'm taking it you're going quite slowly? I know you did for Bioshock.

This is how I play in every single area.

STEP 1 ->

Methodically take out everything

STEP 2 ->

Methodically pour over every Room for items to scavenge

STEP 3 ->

Admire Art Direction (includes meticulously viewing every corner, bit of texture work, poster); Take in Environmental Narrative; Admire strongs and weak points of the visual engine

STEP 4 ->

Maybe move on to next area?

PigSpeakers said:
here was this one part before this where I was in a dark hallway and tess and ellie were waiting for me to clear out the area. I think it's when you first meet the Runners. I died way too much there.

I died there I think 3 times at least. I am on Hard/No Listen Mode, so took a bit before I realized how open I could be with my kills on the runners before the Clicker would hear.

traveler

Not Wario

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

STEP 1 ->

STEP 2 ->

STEP 3 ->

Admire Art Direction (includes meticulously viewing every corner, bit of texture work, poster); Take in Environmental Narrative; Admire strongs and weak points of the visual engine

STEP 4 ->

Lol... we have some common ground here. haha

Pranay

STEP 1 ->

STEP 2 ->

STEP 3 ->

STEP 4 ->

Dude the thing is from now their are very open areas and very lenghty areas compared to the ones you played o_O
i think you might easily cross 100 hrs

Amir0x

Banned
Must have been a typo. 16 hours okay... Maybe.

Amir0x are you autistic? Not trying to be insensitive.

Naw. I simply like to stop and admire the handiwork of developers who pour love into the artistic direction of their games. They don't call me a graphics whore for nothing.

If your game is boring and not worth looking at I'll finish it in as quick as can be :p

Vire

Word to the wise. Never give Amir0x a copy of Ni No Kuni.

It might kill him.
Naw. I simply like to stop and admire the handiwork of developers who pour love into the artistic direction of their games. They don't call me a graphics whore for nothing.

If your game is boring and not worth looking at I'll finish it in as quick as can be :p
I admire the dedication.

iNvid02

i'll probably get less than 36 hours with 2 playthroughs

the fuck man
KuGsj.gif

Amir0x

Banned
I honestly don't remember my playtime for that. I don't think it's some crazy long playtime. With RPGs it's a little different because let's say you have a great art design (which Ni No Kuni did), it's usually offset by me starting to tire of the battle system by the time you get closer to the end. So then I start rushing :p

FINALBOSS

Banned

STEP 1 ->

STEP 2 ->

STEP 3 ->

STEP 4 ->

I died there I think 3 times at least. I am on Hard/No Listen Mode, so took a bit before I realized how open I could be with my kills on the runners before the Clicker would hear.

Same.

But add in replaying encounters (I love that feature) that I found super fun. So great.

Vire

Same.

But add in replaying encounters (I love that feature) that I found super fun. So great.
I did do this. If I thought I handled a situation really poorly (it ending in me fist fighting everything to death) I would hit the restart encounter button.

StuBurns

Banned
The place Ami is at might be 40% on the game completion, but time wise, it's like a third in. The concept of a hundred hour run is kind of scary.

Gold_Loot

at 36 hours I gather you are enjoying yourself?

How does replaying chapters work? Can you select which section to start (for example
University
is split into
Go Big Horns
and
Science Lab
? What supplies and upgrades do you have? Does it reset your progress to that chapter?

DukeBobby

Finished it earlier today.

My game of the generation, and possibly top 5 of all time. Took me just under 22 hours, which I thought was long, until I saw how long Amir0x is taking.

Just started New Game +, but I'm a little annoyed that you don't have all of your weapons straight away. I was hoping to run through the early parts of the game with the flamethrower.

antitrop

I am adoring the art direction. I have some significant reservations about the game design so far, but I am still considering it a really strong game so far unless something changes.
Everything I've heard says that it only gets that much better from where we are.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I didn't find it particularly scary, just extremely tense and unnerving.

I wouldn't go into this thinking it's a horror game.
I mostly agree, but as a horror ethusiast I will admit a few parts the atmosphere was strong, and I was really unnerved, tensed, and even a little scared during the (Winter SPOILERS)
David fight. That was brilliantly done and legitimately creeped me out, especially when he started hiding away from you and crouch running after you.

Danielsan

Just finished the game. Pretty much Naughty Dog's magnum opus. Absolutely fantastic. The
Winter
chapter is especially amazing.

STEP 1 ->

STEP 2 ->

STEP 3 ->

STEP 4 ->

I do the same. The detail that's gone into this world is amazing, it's the best looking game I've ever seen for this reason. Even if they didn't stick stuff to scavenge in every corner, I'd probe every corner anyway just walking around admiring the artists' handiwork. Right now I'm at
the sniper part in that suburban area
and I just can't get over the powerful sense of place.

DukeBobby

Just finished the game. Pretty much Naughty Dog's magnus opus. Absolutely fantastic. The
Winter
chapter is especially amazing.

That chapter is one of my favourite parts of any game I've ever played. I don't think anything will top that for a long while.

antitrop

Haha, I found an 'Employee Rights' poster that has a phone number 1-800-555-TLOU and a URL for the official website.

It says minimum wage is $7.25.

creyas

STEP 1 ->

STEP 2 ->

STEP 3 ->

STEP 4 ->

This, but without STEP 3. It's a pain.

What i really liked about BioShock Infinite was the arrow that pointed what was the right way to go (accurately on the ground) so i knew for sure where i can go dig for stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
I do the same. The detail that's gone into this world is amazing, it's the best looking game I've ever seen for this reason. Even if they didn't stick stuff to scavenge in every corner, I'd probe every corner anyway just walking around admiring the artists' handiwork. Right now I'm at
the sniper part in that suburban area
and I just can't get over the powerful sense of place.

Yup. The game has some really shocking technical foibles which I didn't expect, but if you can get beneath it and look at the art direction... easily the most detailed linear world in game history. Nothing else even comes close. There is so much asset work here, and I'm only 40% through, that I cannot even imagine the accumulated time it must have taken to work up just all the individual textures. That's part of the reason it's taking me forever... so much of EVERYTHING is original.

Holy shit the sound when Joel burns to death...

With headphones... Oh, my God.

Seriously the sound design in this game is some of the best ever in any game, period. I almost want to say THE best ever, but I haven't played every game, and I'm sure somebody will inform me about some miracle of sound design if I say anything in absolutes, but the sound design in this game is outrageous. Simply insane.

I really cannot say how much it moves me to see a developer put such equal care into the visual and sound direction, what a compliment and treat it has been.

cant wait to hear about the impressions it does better

I really have been taking notes on this game. It's one of the most fascinating games I've played all generation, no matter where I ultimately fall on it, that it's a wonderful game to analyze.

Games like this make me totally unimpressed with next gen graphics, I mean look at what a ps3 game could look like, everything I saw this e3 did not wow me as much and looked like incremental improvement, that includes the division and infamous ss.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Games like this make me totally unimpressed with next gen graphics, I mean look at what a ps3 game could look like, everything I saw this e3 did not wow me as much and looked like incremental improvement, that includes the division and infamous ss.

Well, on the flip side, just imagine how awesome games will look near the end of the console cycle if they did this with the power of the ps3! :)

Top Bottom