• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

So after days of trying to buy this everywhere and it being sold out I finally got a copy at Asda only to leave it paid for and packaged at the self-checkout. FML

On Hard, if you do even a decent amount of scraping and always go stealth first, you should have quite a bit of ammo. By the end of the game, I had enough ammo to go full-on Rambo in certain encounters.

antitrop

Obscene? Seriously?

/facepalm
Ya, I would say "obscene" is a perfect adjective to describe the aliasing in this game.

Is my PS3 dying or does this game have a terrible initial load time?

When I push "continue game" at the start screen, it begins loading with the gold dust on the screen. That goes on for like a full minute. I can hear my PS3 drive cranking.

After awhile it says "Loading" and shows a percentage. The percentage goes like this:

And the last 5% goes like that, very slowly. It takes forever. That can't be the game, right?

It does eventually load and then plays fine.

My PS3 is only two years old and I don't even use it a ton.
This is exactly how it happens on my PS3.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I got to the first real room full of infected, like five with one clicker. I went full retard and forgot how to play. Am I to kill them all or sneak by or what? Every time I try they detect me and swarm me, what am I doing wrong? I picked up a pipe, but apparent a steel pipe is only good for about size hits, which makes no sense.

Owensboro

When I push "continue game" at the start screen, it begins loading with the gold dust on the screen. That goes on for like a full minute. I can hear my PS3 drive cranking.

After awhile it says "Loading" and shows a percentage. The percentage goes like this:

*snip*[percentage example]*snip*

And the last 5% goes like that, very slowly. It takes forever. That can't be the game, right?

Same for my PS3, but it does this hilarious thing where it counts up to 10%, goes back down to 0%, and then starts counting up from there. The last 5% or so takes just as long as the load up to 95%. It's an old 60GB MGS4 PS3, and it makes me happy to hear the newer models are doing this same thing. Hooray for no YLOD in my near future!

Now I just have to worry about it sounding like it's either 1) going to take off like a jet engine or 2) melt through my floor. It makes my PS3 so damn LOUD.

deim0s

Ellie is so badass. Stab 'em gurl

Was wondering why she didn't even try to hide (like always) as the Hunter is just around the corner…

I was like: "Ellie!? What the fuck are you doing?!"

*Then she lunges at him to the stairwell*

Then I followed up with a steel pipe.

Soo good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I got to the first real room full of infected, like five with one clicker. I went full retard and forgot how to play. Am I to kill them all or sneak by or what? Every time I try they detect me and swarm me, what am I doing wrong? I picked up a pipe, but apparent a steel pipe is only good for about size hits, which makes no sense.

I got stuffed at that part for a while, it's basically you jumping into the deep end. My advice: figure out where you're supposed to go, don't try to eliminate the whole room, just get out and get on with your life.

There is your problem. I played on hard and scraped by alot of the game with barely anything. None of my weapons ever had full ammo and I never had more than one health kit I don't think.

I'm playing on normal and the game does feel like it was meant to be played on hard. Even then I try to pay a lot of it stealthily. Some of my ammo is maxed out...

Either way it's challenging sometimes. There were quite a few tense situations that I barely got out of just because I tried to avoid using ammo unless absolutely necessary. I think playing hotline miami a week before playing this game set me up pretty well for this :)

AngryMoth

Does anyone know of a good multiplayer primer I can read/watch before jumping in. I don't really have a grasp on how the modes work and I'm interested to know if there are any mechanical differences between it and the single player.

Even when your loaded up, you sometimes get into an encounter that really drains up lot of your supplies quick. You then end up wishing you could go back to those spots where you had to leave behind so much stuff. And if your heavy on stealth you will usually be well stocked.

I constantly avoided using my guns so I have a large stash of ammo at all times, when I really should be more liberal with their use as I constantly have to leave it behind.

antitrop

I'm expecting GTA5 to run at 10fps after playing GTA 4 on consoles.
Exactly. I don't even know how GTA 5 is going to be playable after what they've shown off in trailers.

Either Rockstar somehow became technical wizards over the last few years, or GTA 5 is going to run at 15fps and have a draw distance of 50 meters.

Ezio

Played some more multi-player last night, starting to get into the swing of it. I don't care what others say I love using the bow! Gonna try to grind on some single-player tonight. <3 This game.

50%
60%
75%
91%
92.3%
94%
95%
96%
97%
97.1%
97.2%
97.3%
97.32%
97.33%

I've got a super slim with a Corsair SSD in it - I get the same thing.

I play from the Bluray disk on an old fat and I also have a SSD and I don't see any percentage...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I got stuffed at that part for a while, it's basically you jumping into the deep end. My advice: figure out where you're supposed to go, don't try to eliminate the whole room, just get out and get on with your life.

So I jumped down and wasn't required to? Doh!

Edit: I get the loading percentages, it definitely slows down at the end. I have a 7200RPM hybrid drive.

CLBridges

I just 100% completed the game. Took me 17 hours and 4 minutes. Man, what can I say? This is a must play for PS3 owners, for non PS3 owners, borrow one if you must lol. The story, the game-play, sound effects and the music all combine to be one of the best games I've played in recent years. I wasn't even going to purchase this game until I saw all the stellar reviews it got. Overall, I give this game an A+. So glad I went ahead and made the purchase, what an experience.

There is something about this game... the way it all plays so naturally. Nothing feels out of place. Just moving Joel around feels right. It is so fluid and the transition from stealth to combat is so seamless.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on a 80gb phat PS3 and the percentage goes backwards sometimes, and is slow as shit. Probably a 2+ minute load time. Playing off-disc.

Imm0rt4l

I absolutely adore this game, just finished it last night on normal. I should have played it on hard. Maybe I'll jump straight to the hardest difficulty for my next play through. I haven't touched the mp yet.

So I jumped down and wasn't required to? Doh!

Pretty sure you do have to kill them all to proceed. If you watch their patterns for a minute it should be pretty easy. My solution: From where you start, around the corner should be an armored dude, choke him out and then turn around and look back up the hallway until you see a second runner pass through that hallway from left to right. Run up there once he's past and turn left into the room he came from, get behind the wall in the middle and wait. He makes a full circuit around the floor, and when he comes back into that room you can choke him out. Then the other two runners should be easy to deal with, and for the clicker you can either crouch walk slowly right up to him and grab/shiv, or throw a brick and then melee him with the 2x4 for the instant kill

I've seen a lot of posts about the Pulse Elite settings, but did we ever come to a consensus as to what the best/optimal settings are? It seems to be a toss up between action/horror, but I'm not sure what to do with the actual in-game audio settings. I know these are 7.1 virtual surround, but does that mean I should active Linear PCM 7.1? And what about the center speaker and dynamic range?

I didn't know you could do that--the way you leave is a very slow process, I figured you'd be spotted anyway.

Footos22

I bought the game digitally. I didn't get the loading percentage. There's only the spore particles on screen, and it usually only lasts around 10 seconds at most.

I find the initial load up actually takes an age now since the update installed.

Was holding out on downoading it cos of the save glitch.
Now it has via auto download. and it takes an age to load and im constantly checking to see if the autosave is borked.

Is it just me or does this game get easier the further in you go? I’m up to Winter now and I feel like I’ve got too much ammo.

Hell I can’t even carry some supplies I find because I’ve maxed out all my crafting items. I’m playing on normal by the way...

I'm playing on hard and it's definitely getting harder as it goes on. It's still manageable but it makes me think that on Survivor some of those winter sections are going to be hell. Really looking forward to that. Hard feels like just the right amount of challenge, it's a shame a lot of people are playing on normal and now finding it too easy. Struggling to get by is part of the core experience of the game and normal doesn't seem to allow that from what I'm hearing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Now I'm thinking I may be wrong. I remember hauling ass eventually and getting out of there but I also remember having a wild-ass lucky-ass headshot on the clicker as the last enemy.

Either way that segment is no joke compared to what you had been doing before. It's tough but doable.

Caode

I finished The Last of Us at 5:30 this morning. I feel empty inside now.....

On a serious note, Uncharted 2 was my personal 'best PS3 game ever made' but I think that title has just changed hands. I really can't wait to see what Naughty Dog have in store for the coming generation.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
80gig fatty here too, but I've never even seen the loading percentage. It loads for what I'd guess is 45sec to 1 minute and I'm playing.
The PS3's fan does sound like a OG 360 here too though.

And here I am, again knocking on wood D:

deim0s

Does anyone know of a good multiplayer primer I can read/watch before jumping in. I don't really have a grasp on how the modes work and I'm interested to know if there are any mechanical differences between it and the single player.

Don't know about Survivor mode… haven't tried it yet.

You join games that may increases/decreases the status of your 'clan'. At times it'll let you pick some 'missions' - they're just small goals to achieve/bonuses that improves your clan.

Just pick a class and or create a custom load out (skills are limited with points) at around level one(/). Weapons/looks/skills gradually unlocks as you go on. You can pick up supplies to craft and improve your weapons/items further while the match is going on.

Listen mode is short and recharges, standing still will not light you up on your opponents radar. Mark is pressing R3, if you see an opponent and marked him - it'll show his/her location to your teammates.

Exactly. I don't even know how GTA 5 is going to be playable after what they've shown off in trailers.

Either Rockstar somehow became technical wizards over the last few years, or GTA 5 is going to run at 15fps and have a draw distance of 50 meters.

I'm worried that the game will be crushed by the weight of its own ambition. We'll see.

There is something about this game... the way it all plays so naturally. Nothing feels out of place. Just moving Joel around feels right. It is so fluid and the transition from stealth to combat is so seamless.

Yeah! Even if you're trying to be stealthy and it turns into absolute chaos it still feels so natural.

I love it.

I don't get the complaints about the combat feeling clumsy or people dreading it either. Obviously you want to avoid it as much as possible but when shit hits the fan it still gels together so well.

Arghh...Naughty Dog <3

Christ the atmosphere in this game. If this team made a Silent Hill on PS4 or at least contributed to the sound design and visuals... fuck.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving that ND didn't give a fuck about trophies. They can't even begin to start dictating your playstyle, every situation gets handled as it comes, no shitty "hit five dudes with one molotov".

AngryMoth

Don't know about Survivor mode… haven't tried it yet.

You join games that may increases/decreases the status of your 'clan'. At times it'll let you pick some 'missions' - they're just small goals to achieve/bonuses that improves your clan.

Just pick a class and or create a custom load out (skills are limited with points) at around level one(/). Weapons/looks/skills gradually unlocks as you go on. You can pick up supplies to craft and improve your weapons/items further while the match is going on.

Listen mode is short and recharges, standing still will not light you up on your opponents radar. Mark is pressing R3, if you see an opponent and marked him - it'll show his/her location to your teammates.
Thanks. Remembering to use listen mode is going to be an adjustment, had it turned off for single player!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah! Even if you're trying to be stealthy and it turns into absolute chaos it still feels so natural.

I love it.
Absolutely. A recurring theme I keep noting to myself is that every encounter feels like a scripted sequence, because of the way the transitions control smoothly, dynamic uses of the environment, and the ubiquitously stellar animations. Every time it feels like that was the way it was supposed to play out even if someone else might have done it completely differently. A real accomplishment to be lauded.

Caode

Christ the atmosphere in this game. If this team made a Silent Hill on PS4 or at least contributed to the sound design and visuals... fuck.

I was just having a conversation with a friend about The Last of Us and how the Resident Evil team should be taking notes, tear the Resident Evil formula apart and rebuild it from the ground up, incorporate some of the elements that you would find in The Last of Us in to it, the sense of every day being a struggle to survive, a harsher environment etc instead of the sheer nonsense the series has become. That's just my opinion though... but playing through it too I also had the Silent Hill thought in the back of my head, if only.....

I'm worried that the game will be crushed by the weight of its own ambition. We'll see.

Not really looking forward to GTAV after Max Payne 3. I just disagreed on how they chose to drive the story forward. Everything begins with Max making stupid mistakes, and having to kill everything to get out of it.

It was pretty much Inspector Clouseau + The Transporter: The Game.

That aside ALL OF YOU should watch The Last Of Us documentary as soon as you finished the game. There's some really great stuff in here.

Not really looking forward to GTAV after Max Payne 3. I just disagreed on how they chose to drive the story forward. Everything begins with Max making stupid mistakes, and having to kill everything to get out of it.

It was pretty much Inspector Clouseau + The Transporter: The Game.

That aside ALL OF YOU should watch The Last Of Us documentary as soon as you finished the game. There's some really great stuff in here.

I'm assuming it's already on YT?

Holy crap I'm at 60 percent and I can't believe how much fun I'm having. Dropping nail bombs as a hord of clickers and runners come and then hitting one with upgraded melee weapon for instant kill and hand shotgunning two runners who were back to back with one shot. Just gasped at how awesome this game was. And that's not even included the elation I had during stealth in Pittsburgh. My wife is even watching me play which she never does. She is seriously into the characters, and its not hard to see why, the writing is top notch.

antitrop

Does anybody have a capture of the XMB background picture for this game? I want that as my wallpaper.

It's this one, right?

72716.jpg

Truth bombs! The sense of weight to everything is pretty much perfect. I really reminds me of Resident Evil 4. It's something that so many games get wrong - but they really nailed the core gameplay here....

I really wish they didn't lock out Survivor mode. I get the replay value and all that, but I really want the ultimate experience. I've had some difficulty spikes where I've been shit out of luck or struggled, but there are also areas where I feel I've gotten past easier than I expected.

...Is Survivor that much more brutal that they had to lock it away?

nib95

Banned
Truth bombs! The sense of weight to everything is pretty much perfect. I really reminds me of Resident Evil 4. It's something that so many games get wrong - but they really nailed the core gameplay here....

Not just the sense of weight, but the sound effects and reactions. Gunplay is terrifyingly realistic and harsh. Everything sounds like it has massive impact. And you really feel every shot is coming from a cold hardened killing tool as oppose to some pea shooter. It's the Killzone gunplay of third person shooters, only with better sound design and level design aiding the shoot outs. Oh and no recharging health which is amazing.

Plus you can't just aim and shoot, you have to sync your aim with your movement sway, it's all about patience and precision, and I love that. There's more skill to getting a headshot in LoU than other shooters. You have recoil and sway and limited auto aim to contend with, and that adds great realism and tension.

GulAtiCa

I think the percent thing being slow after 90% is just the game itself. My PS3 is brand new and bought last year, and happens to me sometimes.

Not just the sense of weight, but the sound effects and reactions. Gunplay is terrifyingly realistic and harsh. Everything sounds like it has massive impact. And you really feel every shot is coming from a cold hardened killing tool as oppose to some pea shooter. It's the Killzone gunplay of third person shooters, only with better sound design and level design aiding the shoot outs. Oh and no recharging health which is amazing.

Plus you can't just aim and shoot, you have to sync your aim with your movement sway, it's all about patience and precision, and I love that. There's more skill to getting a headshot in LoU than other shooters. You have recoil and sway and limited auto aim to contend with, and that adds great realism and tension.

Yup, fully agreed bro.

Top Bottom