• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Andrew.

Banned
It's so much better than Infinite it's almost a joke.

It's one of those games that shakes you out of the middling stupor we're all forced into after the constant barrage of shit this industry produces.

It's hard for me go back into Infinite after experiencing this. Hell, it's gonna be hard to play anything else after this because of the bar ND has raised in terms of storytelling, acting, music, atmosphere, the whole nine.

The Last of Us has ruined gaming for me in the most beautiful way possible.

I feel bad no after saying the game wasn't THAT good after the first few hours. It really opens up and encounters get a lot more fun. Still think the stealth is a little off though cos guys can suddenly see you a mile away some times

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just got my copy today. I'm pretty happy it came. Already used one of the naughty dog stickers. Can't wait to finally get to play through this game. I tend to think video games have replaced any form of media/digital entertainment I've ever been excited about.

TLo_U.jpg

Everybody else is probably like: "cool man, i finished it a week ago."

Ferrio

Banned
So far a great game.

Loved starting out and the game pretty much goes "Hey remember uncharted... ya you ain't drake... here's a ladder old man".

For me, it's the little details that make a game for me and TLOU has some of the best I've seen

The incredible blood effects - the splatter on walls, the spray of mist from a headshot, blood dripping on your face and arms...just adds sense of gritty realism to the violence

The animations as Joel goes near walls and around corners, so much more realistic and natural than Uncharted

The small talk and random scripted dialogue between Joel and other characters as well as between your companions

The reload animations

The animations in general...Joel shifting the backpack strap, putting his gun back in his waistband/holster, regaining balance after being shot

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't touched Infinite yet (waiting for a sale). Pity it's apparently not on the same level. I'm sure I'll like it nonetheless; this game is certainly something special.
For me, it's the little details that make a game for me and TLOU has some of the best I've seen

The incredible blood effects - the splatter on walls, the spray of mist from a headshot, blood dripping on your face and arms...just adds sense of gritty realism to the violence

The animations as Joel goes near walls and around corners, so much more realistic and natural than Uncharted

The small talk and random scripted dialogue between Joel and other characters as well as between your companions

The reload animations

The animations in general...Joel shifting the backpack strap, putting his gun back in his waistband/holster, regaining balance after being shot
Mhm. The "slam into a door" finisher leaves such an impressive result that it feels like it's scripted every time. The variety of animations Joel has when he's doing things while injured is mindblowing.

otapnam

Not sure whats going on with some of you guys' PS3s.

I have the first edition 40GB (spiderman 3 blu ray bundle) and the only thing i get is the loud disc drive spin up, never the jet engine sound. Maybe you guys need to keep more dust away from your systems? ;P

It's hard for me go back into Infinite after experiencing this. Hell, it's gonna be hard to play anything else after this because of the bar ND has raised in terms of storytelling, acting, music, atmosphere, the whole nine.

By the way.... if you had to choose one game: Bioshock 1 or Infinite?

StuBurns

Banned
Haven't touched Infinite yet (waiting for a sale). Pity it's apparently not on the same level. I'm sure I'll like it nonetheless; this game is certainly something special.
I didn't mean to suggest it was bad or anything, it's far from it. But it's so sophomoric by comparison, and it's a pretty scattered experience. It's very good though.

Just started playing. I've had a couple of occasions of character models spazzing out during "cutscenes" (the ones where you can only walk).

I hear the start is slow? Seems that way :p Going to be honest, I hate long intros and cutscenes where all you can do is "press X to open a door" in between a string of cutscenes, it seems utterly pointless to me and reminiscent of the start of so many bad JRPGs, but will persevere, it looks great - not mindblowing, but nice.

dreamfall

I've been really blown away thus far- but the game does feel unnerving (which is great!), so much so that I've got to play it in chunks.

It feels exhausting- both emotionally (some really great narrative development, and character evolution) and mentally (understanding how to carefully approach each stealth/combat scenario without getting ripped to shreds).

Those are great things- the game makes me so happy to have my PS3 around. Sure, there are a lot of ladder/"pull me up" moments, but there's nothing like narrowly escaping Infected/Hunters and then getting to scavenge and explore abandoned towns.

The game is so beautiful! More when I finish, getting to Fall took its toll!

Infinite is still a fine game, it just moves to fast for it's own good, imo. It's got a story worth experiencing. I just feel games with incredible atmosphere and fascinating worlds/characters should be slow burns, giving you time to soak it in and be a part of it.

StuBurns

Banned
Ellie really should just hold on to your shoulders to cross bodies of water though. They could have pretended
the water fucked her infection or something that justified the palettes.

mcfrank

Launch model (60 GB) here.

I've noticed the fan has been kicking into a higher speed at more frequent intervals, and the small space I've been playing in has become uncomfortably toasty.

I may need to open a window.

I hope the unit makes it to the PS4's release.

My exact situation (though I would like for this unit to live a bit longer than that as a bedroom blu ray player and for FFX HD)

Flo_Evans

question about the soundtrack, do you have to download it on your PS3?

and yeah my 60gig launch PS3 is struggling... never locked up though! I may have to take it apart and clean the dust out.

antitrop

Still think the stealth is a little off though cos guys can suddenly see you a mile away some times

Haven't ran into that, my issue with the stealth is that you can get way too close to the guys and make way too much noise before they see you.

Not that I would want the stealth to be more difficult, I fucking hate stealth games. Always have.

I like how slow and methodical the multiplayer is, it reminds me of older Tom Clancy games like Rainbow Six and Spies vs Mercs. With the "survival" theme it has, the omission of a horde mode is odd, though. Likely coming as DLC.

Vire

I didn't mean to suggest it was bad or anything, it's far from it. But it's so sophomoric by comparison, and it's a pretty scattered experience. It's very good though.

Infinite plays like a game that was rewritten at least 20 times. As you said, "scattered" is a good word to describe it. Things don't fit into place and often come out of left-field
Elizabeth's ghost mom anyone?
. It's obvious they had to make some concessions to ship the game on time.

The way TLOU flows, from one scene to the next is so organic and natural feeling. The character development is also on a completely different level.

antitrop

Infinite plays like a game that was rewritten at least 20 times. As you said, "scattered" is a good word to describe it. Things don't fit into place and often come out of left-field
Elizabeth's ghost mom anyone?
. It's obvious they had to make some concessions to ship the game on time.
I would go so far as to say that the entire inclusion of the Vox Populi feels tacked-on and woefully underdeveloped.

My love for Bioshock Infinite is almost entirely from the gameplay, though. Even immediately after I finished the game I was unimpressed by the serious lack of cohesiveness in the plot of Bioshock Infinite. I never even bothered to participate in the spoiler thread for that game.

sunnz

So I been playing quite a few of the MP games, so far it really is very fun and well made.

But there are a few things that really annoy me, such as the armour is way too powerful/ easy to get I feel and times when I go to melee someone instead of using my melee weapon my guy uses his fists ( punching someone wont stop them from still shooting, which is interesting)

Plus you have them typical moments were you put enough bullets to kill two people into 1 guy yet he kills you ( typical crap you experience a lot in MP) but that isn't too common.

Except from those few small issues, I really like it.

Inversive

Ellie really should just hold on to your shoulders to cross bodies of water though. They could have pretended
the water fucked her infection or something that justified the palettes.

Would have been cool if Joel had taught her to swim by say Winter or something.

Muffdraul

Finished it last night. Loved it. Was never the biggest ND fan, I always found Uncharted to be more or less enjoyable but never agreed with the gushing. TLOU makes me want to gush.

My 20 hour play through went smooth as silk except for one annoying part, and I'm curious to know if it was just me being lame-
Towards the end of the game, towards the end of that last tunnel before the hospital, after you pass the two bloaters- the tunnel is flooded with rushing water you can't swim in, the current just pushes you forward. You have to climb up on top of a truck and jump to a vent duct. I had to attempt this jump about 15 times before I finally succeeded. To me it looked like I was clearly making the jump, but Joel just refused to grab the edge. Eventually I made it, but I didn't do anything differently than in previous attempts.
Anyone else have trouble there?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Thats kind of silly can you transfer it to a usb stick and put it on your ipod or is it DRM'd?
Yeah, regular mp3s after you install it.

Just got to
fall
clocking in at 15h. Guess I'm taking my time.

Inversive

Finished it last night. Loved it. Was never the biggest ND fan, I always found Uncharted to be more or less enjoyable but never agreed with the gushing. TLOU makes me want to gush.

My 20 hour play through went smooth as silk except for one annoying part, and I'm curious to know if it was just me being lame-
Towards the end of the game, towards the end of that last tunnel before the hospital, after you pass the two bloaters- the tunnel is flooded with rushing water you can't swim in, the current just pushes you forward. You have to climb up on top of a truck and jump to a vent duct. I had to attempt this jump about 15 times before I finally succeeded. To me it looked like I was clearly making the jump, but Joel just refused to grab the edge. Eventually I made it, but I didn't do anything differently than in previous attempts.
Anyone else have trouble there?

I failed twice and then sprint jumped the third time and made it. It was annoying enough just having to get out twice tbh :p

Spat_triate

Whoever wrote and directed the dialogue needs to win some kind of award.

Do we have any GAF clans running? Add me pleasees.

PSN: syncOver

Just found a really big bug.

It's at the part where
Joel, Ellie, Sam, and Henry are all in that neighborhood field after getting out of the sewers and a sniper is shooting at you.
At the very far end of the segment, you can go in the back of a house with a deck. I was hiding in there waiting for the guys to come in so I could stealth them. As the dude got to the doorway, he fell through the deck and the top half of his body was sticking out. A torso started walking on the deck and the floor of the house. this happened to every guy that went through the doorway. Strangely, it didn't happen to me.

Did you guys check out this interview with Naughty Dog people & the VA's..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsCv1oxs-8

Do you see Troy beating questions down like he has a modded iron pipe? Particularly in contrast to Ashley, it's night and day. He's cool, confident, and collected and, to be frank, she is not. So far this has been Troy's year, he's been in two really high profile games and has knocked it out of the park. Well done sir, well done.

Vire

Whoever wrote and directed the dialogue needs to win some kind of award.

Do we have any GAF clans running? Add me pleasees.

PSN: syncOver

Neil Druckmann.

Dude is a boss.

Do you see Troy beating questions down like he has a modded iron pipe? Particularly in contrast to Ashley, it's night and day. He's cool, confident, and collected and, to be frank, she is not. So far this has been Troy's year, he's been in two really high profile games and has knocked it out of the park. Well done sir, well done.

He has a lot more experience dealing with the gaming enthusiast press. This is Ashley's first game.

It's so much better than Infinite it's almost a joke.

It's one of those games that shakes you out of the middling stupor we're all forced into after the constant barrage of shit this industry produces.

It's funny because TLoU's level design is probably more linear than Infinite's. It's approach to combat and progression elevate it far above B:I or any other AA game released in recent times.

SkylineRKR

Funny because I bought Infinite on sale and finished that the day I took Last of Us home.

Infinite was fun, had some neat moments with the skyhook and Elizabeth was an amazing support character. But Last of Us curb stomps it in terms of character development and atmosphere. Ellie is a so much better character. I was even surprised at the fact how Ellie's in-combat behaviour actually evolves during the course of the game. Usually this is only left for cutscenes, but she really fucking changes when you play. This is actually one of the high points of the game for me.

Top Bottom