• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DukeBobby

New Game + would have been much better if you had all of your guns right from the start.

Yeah, it would make the game too easy, but if I wanted a true challenge, I'd play on Survivor mode. Which I plan of doing when I've finished Hard Mode +.

Funny because I bought Infinite on sale and finished that the day I took Last of Us home.

Infinite was fun, had some neat moments with the skyhook and Elizabeth was an amazing support character. But Last of Us curb stomps it in terms of character development and atmosphere. Ellie is a so much better character. I was even surprised at the fact how Ellie's in-combat behaviour actually evolves during the course of the game. Usually this is only left for cutscenes, but she really fucking changes when you play. This is actually one of the high points of the game for me.

Her changes can be for better or for worse.
Just completed an awesome stealth kill that set me up perfect for two more, started moving towards my next victim when suddenly she opens fire. I would've been mad with the AI, but the behavior and accompanying shout from her felt in character so I rolled with it.

Seriously imagine this on better hardware.... it would look Godly. The lighting is insane

hwlj.png

but it alreadly looks godly?

Just a quick question, is it normal that my PS3 Fat 80GB no BC gets really loud while playing the Last of Us? I cleaned it off with compressed air and put it on the free ground for now but it still starts to rival my PC in terms of noise :/

God damn this game has improved ten-fold since arriving in Pittsburgh and beyond. Really really glad. I was feeling disinterested in the first hour or two of playing, but it really picks up. The combat stuff has improved as well, with the areas being more open.

Glad to see, I hope ND will revisit this sort of game design approach with the PS4. Can't imagine what they'll be able to do.

Fall Chapter = wow

This section prompted me to post again. Loved it. God damn.

cameron

My badge of shame (crappy cropped phone pic):
ibsI2rXTO11UpO.jpg

Played on hard, listen mode off, and mostly stealth. Looks like I spent more hours on the first two thirds relative to the final third, since the narrative
accelerates quite a bit at the end.

i9mIqJ2kgLwvj.jpg

Edit: I'm off to the spoiler thread.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wondering if anybody has extra sights and sounds code? I picked up 2 copies at launch with my gf, but for some reason we only got 1 code.

Did anyone finish the game with shit loads of ammo? I'm just curious because I didn't. I had to make every bullet count in the last mission. Every bullet. Restarted the final encounters so many times to spend no more than 2 bullets killing an enemy.

P.S. What a fucking game! Far better than Uncharted 2. This is "God of War 2" for PS3; the best swansong ever.

Just completed the Se
wer
section. Was pretty tense at the end. The story down there was really sad. Spent a fair bit of time just reading the notices/rules etc.

I can't help but think I'm brain-farting here but did the game have a Spring section? Or did it start in Summer?

StuBurns

Banned
Just completed the Se
wer
section. Was pretty tense at the end. The story down there was really sad. Spent a fair bit of time just reading the notices/rules etc.

I can't help but think I'm brain-farting here but did the game have a Spring section? Or did it start in Summer?
Summer's first.

SkylineRKR

Her changes can be for better or for worse.
Just completed an awesome stealth kill that set me up perfect for two more, started moving towards my next victim when suddenly she opens fire. I would've been mad with the AI, but the behavior and accompanying shout from her felt in character so I rolled with it.

I would throw the controller through the window if that happened in say MGS or Hitman but I accepted,

that this isn't a stealth game, or one that doesn't really require it at all. There is no real glory in killing here, its just about moving on and it doesn't matter how I do it. I was surprised during the second city, where she would suddenly attack enemies head on and shout so I could get an easy melee kill. This is way before she finally gets a gun. She also started to save me more from grabs. She starts rather passive, like your typical little girl in distress... but she does become valuable later on. Thats just so fucking brilliant imo. Also, her 'motherfucker' during kills in Winter.

New Game + would have been much better if you had all of your guns right from the start.

Yeah, it would make the game too easy, but if I wanted a true challenge, I'd play on Survivor mode. Which I plan of doing when I've finished Hard Mode +.
I know. This really sucks. I was imagining all the tactical possibilities until I learned that you don't have all your weapons from the start.

Vire

I must say though despite great IQ, i wish people posted screenshots with games having good art.

Loved the planetside 2 and Bioshock infinite screenshots.

Lots are underwhelming though IQ aside.

Crysis 3 has horrible art :|

The funny thing is both have overgrown cities, but there is something so clinical about Crysis.

It's hard to place a finger on what separates the two, but there is a monumental difference.

antitrop

You will not get me to admit that the art of Crysis 3 is anything other than completely top of the heap.

It may not have the "personality" of The Last of Us, but it's certainly impressive to me.

Amir0x

Banned
The funny thing is both have overgrown cities, but there is something so clinical about Crysis.

It's hard to place a finger on what separates the two, but there is a monumental difference.

The difference is sheer narrative flow. Each location is intricately lived in, and Naughty Dog has simply taken extreme pains to making sure you notice if you're paying attention. There's little rooms you can tell people were hiding out in, little safe houses where eventually their luck gave out and you can find out how if you're paying attention, just an enormous sense of time and place. It's unprecedented in any game, let alone Crysis. No game even comes close.

There's this whole bunch of mini-narratives going on that just take your breath away if you're paying attention.

EXAMPLE: PITTSBURGH SPOILERS

When you go around the city, you'll start to notice little things about a person named Ish. Apparently Ish and his buddy were protecting some kids, presumably not their own. Because the kids drew a picture of them - "Ish and _____" (forgot the other guys name), and the picture was labeled "Our Protectors" or something like that. Later on you find out Ish was killed, but not only Ish but the kids too.

Another moment you find out about a family who got split up. They're looking for a girl named Sarah. They tell her to meet up later. Eventually you get to this wall that has Sarah's name circled and the words written in different ink - "Oh don't worry, we'll take REAL good care of her." The implication being immediately clear.

This happens everywhere. The game is so filled with love I could probably write a book on its brilliant use of environmental narrative. It's just insane. And when you couple that to the extreme care in individualized texture work - far exceeding the nuance of a game like Crysis 3 in its attempt at displaying worldbuilding - and the astonishing sound and art direction altogether, it's unparalleled.

I have a lot of issues with the game, but this is one area that it is literally without equal in. No game comes close to this, and I've stared my way through many art gallery games.

Also, SIDE NOTE, I'm sure everyone has seen the following Easter Eggs <Pittsburgh Spoilers>:

Jak & Daxter Doll/Nathan Drake Doll (at least I think that was him on the bed), and then a whole bunch of J&D and Uncharted Board Games. What picture were they using on the Uncharted Board game? Looked like Nathan Drake escaping an exploding building or something.

NYR94

I thought that one of the best decisions in terms of the resource management part of the gameplay was making the ingredients for the molotov cocktail and the health pack the same. Every time I had enough supplies to make one I always found myself pausing and really weighing the decision, thinking about which one I would need more. Am I close to running into a large group of enemies and a big firefight where I'll need a healthpack? Or can I afford to make a molotov cocktail for a future easy kill?

Sullichin

I thought that one of the best decisions in terms of the resource management part of the gameplay was making the ingredients for the molotov cocktail and the health pack the same. Every time I had enough supplies to make one I always found myself pausing and really weighing the decision, thinking about which one I would need more. Am I close to running into a large group of enemies and a big firefight where I'll need a healthpack? Or can I afford to make a molotov cocktail for a future easy kill?

Agreed. Also I get nervous when the game just leaves a molotov cocktail for the taking. I know some shit's about to go down.

antitrop

When you go around the city, you'll start to notice little things about a person named Ish. Apparently Ish and his buddy were protecting some kids, presumably not their own. Because the kids drew a picture of them - "Ish and _____" (forgot the other guys name), and the picture was labeled "Our Protectors" or something like that. Later on you find out Ish was killed, but not only Ish but the kids too.
That was so fucked up, man. So fucked. Once you find them...

Pranay

So their are 3 tlou sku in top 6 in german pre order

That Germany - ND love <3

lol

UC3 i remembered outselling max payne 3or just charting below in german chart was hilarious to watch

OwlyKnees

Jak & Daxter Doll/Nathan Drake Doll (at least I think that was him on the bed), and then a whole bunch of J&D and Uncharted Board Games. What picture were they using on the Uncharted Board game? Looked like Nathan Drake escaping an exploding building or something.

It was the cargo plane scene from Uncharted 3.

Flo_Evans

The difference is sheer narrative flow. Each location is intricately lived in, and Naughty Dog has simply taken extreme pains to making sure you notice if you're paying attention. There's little rooms you can tell people were hiding out in, little safe houses where eventually their luck gave out and you can find out how if you're paying attention, just an enormous sense of time and place. It's unprecedented in any game, let alone Crysis. No game even comes close.

There's this whole bunch of mini-narratives going on that just take your breath away if you're paying attention.

Another moment you find out about a family who got split up. They're looking for a girl named Sarah. They tell her to meet up later. Eventually you get to this wall that has Sarah's name circled and the words written in different ink - "Oh don't worry, we'll take REAL good care of her." The implication being immediately clear.

This happens everywhere. The game is so filled with love I could probably write a book on its brilliant use of environmental narrative. It's just insane. And when you couple that to the extreme care in individualized texture work - far exceeding the nuance of a game like Crysis 3 in its attempt at displaying worldbuilding - and the astonishing sound and art direction altogether, it's unparalleled.

I have a lot of issues with the game, but this is one area that it is literally without equal in. No game comes close to this, and I've stared my way through many art gallery games.

Also, SIDE NOTE, I'm sure everyone has seen the following Easter Eggs <Pittsburgh Spoilers>:

Couldn't agree more.

And to sound like a broken record again the little stories/artifacts of what happened get even better later in the game! Its fucking amazing.

the sewer people man... the sewer people
/tear

Manu

In an optional room, you actually find the other guy's and the kids' corpses. He killed them and commited suicide. Also, you get to see Ish's house later on, and when you find a note it's written normally, since he hadn't lost his mind before leaving the house.
Amazing attention to detail.

antitrop

In an optional room, you actually find the other guy's and the kids' corpses. He killed them and commited suicide. Also, you get to see Ish's house later on, and when you find a note it's written normally, since he hadn't lost his mind before leaving the house.
Ya, THAT SHIT RIGHT THERE.

Chills down my spine.

Pranay

The AI in this game is laughable. Ellie must be a ghost to these enemies, even though she's clearly running circles around them half the time.

It's done on purpose. Negative point of the game but i guess most are eventually fine with it.

It's only during strealth anyways. Once enemies are alerted, they notice ellie

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The AI in this game is laughable. Ellie must be a ghost to these enemies, even though she's clearly running circles around them half the time.

ND intentionally made it so Ellie and friendlies are invisible to AI, this way you don't have to babysit too much.

Amir0x

Banned

Yup. And the most heartrending thing of that whole situation on the chalk board...

THEY DID NOT SUFFER

I was like :(

:( x 100

That first one really messed me up, I was like "fuck..." There's more on that story in a house later on.
But seeing all those dead kids and the body of one their protectors who killed them and the writing "they didn't suffer" on the ground, fuck I get chils just thinking about it. Later in a house you find a note from Ish (or the other guy, not sure which one stayed behind with the kids) saying that he had to run for it with the mother of the children. So basically from the kid's perspective one of their protectors abandoned them and the other one killed them.

DoomGyver

Yup. And the most heartrending thing of that whole situation on the chalk board...

THEY DID NOT SUFFER

I was like :(

:( x 100

at least we didn't have to mow a bunch of infected kids down with a shotgun, I was expecting it once I read some of the messages.

Manu

The worst graphical glitched I've encountered so far it's a floor and a wall not connecting entirely, there was an obvious white line in between.

Marleyman

Banned
It's done on purpose. Negative point of the game but i guess most are eventually fine with it.

It's only during strealth anyways. Once enemies are alerted, they notice ellie

Yeah, it breaks the immersion as you watch them run by her and right to you but it isn't a huge deal. I remember when it first started happening thinking that I would let my companion AI take the beating and sit back and pick them off; that doesn't work.

I just finished fighting the
Boomer zed after starting the generator in Pittsburgh; I don't know what it was but I was terrified in the dark running around from him and the other zeds..so tense.

According to my save file, I'm at 92%... I'm taking a quick break. I really don't want it to end. ;_;

The Winter chapter is my favorite so far - it was simply amazing in execution. And I really (Winter chapter spoilers)
loved controlling Ellie... even more than Joel. :p lol Not having Ellie by me for long periods of time with Joel was quite distressing... a lot more than you'd think it would be for a game. :x

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay, I'm taking everything way too slow and I need to hurry up. I'm still in Pittsburgh and I have a question about the truck encounter. How do I simply overcome it? I don't feel like trying to figure it out lol.

Top Bottom