• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The basic stealth stuff can be the most immersion shattering, but I've been dealing with it. Ellie actually getting in the way in combat is much worse to me.

Also, the AI when you are just doing normal stealth is pretty terrible. The human stuff shines much more in actual combat, though it doesn't reach what the e3 demos went through. Still, it's a different and frantic combat pacing I enjoy a lot. I've been doing stealth less and less.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The basic stealth stuff can be the most immersion shattering, but I've been dealing with it. Ellie actually getting in the way in combat is much worse to me.

Also, the AI when you are just doing normal stealth is pretty terrible. The human stuff shines much more in actual combat, though it doesn't reach what the e3 demos went through. Still, it's a different and frantic combat pacing I enjoy a lot. I've been doing stealth less and less.

Are you on survivor? You basically can't beat this game without a ton of stealth.

Tankshell

Just finished, 23h 15m total playtime on normal difficulty, I took my time and soaked it all in. Naughty Dog are my favourite developers by a long shot, I knew this would be good... and it was. Thanks ND. Now get to work on blowing our minds on PS4.

Pranay

Which area are you in now btw ?

nOoblet16

Naughty Dogs are MASTERS of spoiling their own game's carefully crafted lore and laid out logic. Why is it that I now suddenly need two to three headshots from my strongest pistol (the one with scope) to kill humans even when they are obviously not wearing anything to protect their heads.

This game teaches you to conserve ammo and such and builds upon the survival aspect and yet every now and then doesn't hesitates to throw 10-15 enemies at you all at once while giving you fuck all to fight with.

Gameplay spoiler regarding last level:
There are no supplies at all in the last level so if I want to make a medkit I can't for the life of me do that. Give player no supplies and keep throwing a fuck ton of enemies at them...and voila ! that's how you make a game tough. I did try to kill enemies with stealth but detection seems inevitable.

And why is it that every game needs to have a last level that has waves after waves of enemies ? This level could fit in an Uncharted game and it would go around unnoticed.

Pranay

Naughty Dogs are MASTERS of spoiling their own game's carefully crafted lore and laid out logic. Why is it that I now suddenly need two to three headshots from my strongest pistol (the one with scope) to kill humans even when they are obviously not wearing anything to protect their heads.

This game teaches you to conserve ammo and such and builds upon the survival aspect and yet every now and then doesn't hesitates to throw 10-15 enemies at you all at once while giving you fuck all to fight with.

There are no supplies at all in the last level so if I want to make a medkit I can't for the life of me do that. Give player no supplies and keep throwing a fuck ton of enemies at them...and voila ! that's how you make a game tough. I did try to kill enemies with stealth but detection seems inevitable.

And why is it that every game needs to have a last level that has waves after waves of enemies ? This level could fit in an Uncharted game and it would go around unnoticed.
I think their is.

I crafted 1 medkit and 3 smoke bombs

Cleared the level lol

Last level was quite small

i played on normal though

though it felt like an uncharted level with assult rifle

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The game was at it's best when you're just walking around soaking in the atmosphere, and the feeling of danger even if it wasn't present. They resorted to far too many combat arenas, and really overused the boost Ellie up to do something, and moving planks and ladders.
Gonna disagree, thought it was a great gameplay climax to that section of the story, impressive visually for the sense of scale and a hell of a setup for what follows.

I thought it was just a lazy turret section, and the fight upto the point only lets you attempt it one way. If you try and flank him and take a shot then there is nothing to shoot, and he can hit you without even pointing at you.

Gorillaz

Just beat the game....
thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif_zps2c9470cb.gif

I had that feeling too until the moment it happened where I cornered a human enemy and stunned him with a brick out of hiding and then did a melee attack. he begged for his life knowing he was disarmed and had no chance of escape. pretty crazy.

DoomGyver

It seems like I get rewarded with ammo if I turn into Rambo and shoot everything in sight. If I sneak around and choke everyone I get jack squat. (survivor)

Bladenic

No idea what you mean. It was a short level, there were definitely supplies, and I think you can just run to the end too.

That reminds me, I never even used a smoke bomb in the game. Probably should have. Molotovs and
the godly flamethrower
took care of about all my problems though.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I used smoke to just run through the final levels as I got tired of all the combat.

If you suck enough, the game starts dropping more ammo FYI.

I kept dying at one part in the game because of my diminished supplies, and the one AI I managed to kill dropped generous amounts of ammo. I'm pretty sure the game gives you just about enough health to fight your way through, but you have to take mindful potshots at your enemies

Facism

Are you guys actually hitting enemies in the head? The hit marker is different for a headshot than it is for any other shot.

Gorillaz

speaking of the last level
I honesty started to hate it mainly due the fact it relied so heavily on pacing your way through and stealthing literally everything, couldn't find enough supplies to make a medkit until the 2nd to last room. Hate is a strong word but I honestly was starting to get pissed off. Mainly due to me being inpatient but thats how I am

Gold_Loot

I had that feeling too until the moment it happened where I cornered a human enemy and stunned him with a brick out of hiding and then did a melee attack. he begged for his life knowing he was disarmed and had no chance of escape. pretty crazy.
I just had a guy on the floor begging for his life. I said " fuck it, you a dead man ". I drew my pistol and pulled the trigger * click click * uh oh no bullets I thought. He then shouted " oh you're dead now mother fucker! " he jumped up and put me in a choke hold. Ellie then saved the day with a shiv in the guy's back. I then proceeded to beat the hell out of him.

... This game man...

antitrop

I just had a guy on the floor begging for his life. I said " fuck it, you a dead man ". I drew my pistol and pulled the trigger * click click * uh oh no bullets I thought. He then shouted " oh you're dead now mother fucker! " he jumped up and put me in a choke hold. Ellie then saved the day with a shiv in the guy's back. I then proceeded to beat the hell out of him.

... This game man...
I have so many similar stories like this.

This game is magical.

So I'm playing on Survivor
Turned off Game Hints, Strategic Tips, and Tutorial Hints.

But in the first five minutes, the L3 prompt still appeared, the Square prompt appeared

I didn't disable Show Tag Popups, not sure what that is.

But I thought Survivor turned all that stuff off

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It seems like I get rewarded with ammo if I turn into Rambo and shoot everything in sight. If I sneak around and choke everyone I get jack squat. (survivor)
Yeah, that happens on all difficulties. I don't get it, since presumably they'd have more stuff if you didn't alert them and make them fire their weapons.

This really annoys me as well. If anything, you should get more ammo if you stealth kill them since they obviously had a weapon (and never shot it) before you killed them (I mean, on the enemies that you can tell they are holding a gun). I guess they didn't want players to stockpile too much ammo if they stealth killed everyone, but it's still annoying.

Animal

Banned
My badge of shame (crappy cropped phone pic):
ibsI2rXTO11UpO.jpg

Played on hard, listen mode off, and mostly stealth. Looks like I spent more hours on the first two thirds relative to the final third, since the narrative
accelerates quite a bit at the end.

i9mIqJ2kgLwvj.jpg

Edit: I'm off to the spoiler thread.

That is not shameful. Actually I think those rushing through the game should be ashamed. Some in here are stating that they are exploring everything while finishing the game quickly but its clear that they aren't.

There is so much story in the environment to take a pause and think about.
Its people like you that Naughty Dog made the game for. I am sure they would love to hear about you enjoying all the game has to give.

ThisOne

speaking of the last level
I honesty started to hate it mainly due the fact it relied so heavily on pacing your way through and stealthing literally everything, couldn't find enough supplies to make a medkit until the 2nd to last room. Hate is a strong word but I honestly was starting to get pissed off. Mainly due to me being inpatient but thats how I am

Agreed. The last level got pretty tedious for me, especially since I was playing on Hard and kept dying repeatedly.
It's impossible to do that section without stealth. If you try to get in a gun fight, you just get mowed down by assault rifles.

Flo_Evans

But is the goal to take it down or run past it?

get past

I think their is.

I crafted 1 medkit and 3 smoke bombs

Cleared the level lol

Last level was quite small

i played on normal though

though it felt like an uncharted level with assult rifle

I was a bit disappointed at how easy the last level was. I died a few times to the assault rifle guys, but then I just hung back in the shadows and picked them off 1 by 1 with the scoped pistol. The 2nd encounter right before the operating room I lured them out with a brick and threw a few molatovs/bombs and killed them all. Took out one last guy with the sniper rifle by aiming at his flashlight from all the way down the hall.

I get that there was no "bosses" but this encounter felt pretty easy.

I have so many similar stories like this.

This game is magical.

Yeah I don't get the AI complaints. Up there with MGS imho.

Amir0x

Banned
man, this game. I really wish Arne could line up every member of the art team for Last of Us and allow me to individually shake all their hands and buy all of them a beer. There are no words for the effort they put into this game artistically. No fucking words at all. Peerless, is the only word I can use to describe the effort. Peerless.

Arne knows I am a big critic of the direction Naughty Dogs took this gen, and gameplay-wise this has some issues still, but artistically? CHANGE NOTHING. You've got what can only be described as the Dream Team working for you.

satori

man, this game. I really wish Arne could line up every member of the art team for Last of Us and allow me to individually shake all their hands and buy all of them a beer. There are no words for the effort they put into this game artistically. No fucking words at all. Peerless, is the only word I can use to describe the effort. Peerless.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this. I just finished the game and getting ready for another play through. I can not remember the last time I did that. I even thought my love for games were dwindling, then comes a game like this.... Bravo

CSX

Ok i toughened up and stayed up all night to beat this game because it was so good and definitely not because
I rented it and wanted to return it asap
. I saw some sunlight out the window when the credits rolled.

My god what a game. What a game...

And was there a its vs it's grammar mistake on the subtitles towards the endgame?

Amir0x

Banned
I agree as well. The game is beautiful in spite of a not always good framerate and occasional blurry textures.

Yup. It's so painful to me because it's clearly obscuring some of the amazing work done by the devs.

LAST OF US is the first game from PS3 gen that I actually am frothing at the mouth for the day Sony inevitably announces the HD+ version for PS4 with 1080p@60fps with perfect image quality. You all know you would pay for it. $40 for all that plus a bonus chapter where you get to explore some more areas? COME ON!

Animal

Banned
I am in a room full of infected and for some reason they are all of a sudden way more sensitive to sound. They keep detecting me while sneaking around when they haven't so far.

Septimius

Man, I'm in the hotel. Down the
shaft
. What a fucking tense experience. Fuck you,
generator
. And after that, I just fucking ran. Holy shit.

olimpia84

I'm only about an hour in and so far I think the presentation is top notch, one of the best ever done in gaming. Well done, ND, well done.

meta4

Yup. It's so painful to me because it's clearly obscuring some of the amazing work done by the devs.

LAST OF US is the first game from PS3 gen that I actually am frothing at the mouth for the day Sony inevitably announces the HD+ version for PS4 with 1080p@60fps with perfect image quality. You all know you would pay for it. $40 for all that plus a bonus chapter where you get to explore some more areas? COME ON!

You have talked about the positives but what are the negatives so far and what do you think of this compared to UC2 and this year's infinite? Interested to know.

knitoe

Finally, my copy arrived and only played a few hours. All I can say is thank god nextgen coming soon. After playing PC on 60fps max settings with SLI Titans, console graphics aren't impressive anymore. Is this game even running at 30fps? And, the controls. I hate pressing L2 button to run. Using the left stick should be enough for walk/run. I will finish it for the story and decent characters otherwise doesn't live up to the hype so far.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Man, I'm in the hotel. Down the
shaft
. What a fucking tense experience. Fuck you,
generator
. And after that, I just fucking ran. Holy shit.

That part was the first time I was like "fuck exploration, where's the door?"

This game is hot shit.

My only complaint so far is that after a big gun fight with a bunch of dudes, they aren't carrying any ammo for me to loot. They all have guns. Gimme one bullet.

Maybe it's random, or tuned to withhold from you unless you literally have nothing. I guess I ended up finding more ammo before I needed it, anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Top Bottom