• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Manu

Finally, my copy arrived and only played a few hours. All I can say is thank god nextgen coming soon. After playing PC on 60fps max settings with SLI Titans, current console graphics aren't impressive anymore. Is this game even running at 30fps? And, the controls. I hate needing to press the L2 button to run. Using the left stick should be enough for walk/run. I will finish it for the story and decent characters otherwise doesn't live up to the hype so far.

"Man, I watched the first 15 minutes of The Godfather and it doesn't live up to being one of the best movies ever so far."

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best things about this game is that it isn't just a series of enemy encounters with low walls everywhere. You can go quite a while without meeting anybody which lets you just soak up the atmosphere. It also ups the tension imo, because you're not sure if you're getting into the shit when you climb over a fence or if it's plain sailing for another while.

DukeBobby

Finally, my copy arrived and only played a few hours. All I can say is thank god nextgen coming soon. After playing PC on 60fps max settings with SLI Titans, console graphics aren't impressive anymore. Is this game even running at 30fps? And, the controls. I hate pressing L2 button to run. Using the left stick should be enough for walk/run. I will finish it for the story and decent characters otherwise doesn't live up to the hype so far.

That's how most people felt. By the end of the game, almost everyone had the opposite opinion.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also, the AI when you are just doing normal stealth is pretty terrible. The human stuff shines much more in actual combat, though it doesn't reach what the e3 demos went through. Still, it's a different and frantic combat pacing I enjoy a lot. I've been doing stealth less and less.
I'm nowhere near as far as you, but I've seen AI do things pretty much the same as from that demo, and also plenty context sensitive interaction with the environment during melee combat, that people during E3 demo thought was pre-canned BS. The AI stuff especially is the kind of thing that you can only expect to happen randomly when correct conditions align.

Grisby

Lose connection to the host and suddenly I've got 20 hungry dudes and 9 sick peeps. Awesome.

And now the camera is detached from my character.

MG310

Ellie and Bill's interactions are fantastic.

Loving nearly everything so far though I'm finding it much easier to just beat hordes of zombies to death than to try to stealth around them.

Duffyside

Banned
Got past the part that was frustrating me last night on I think my first try today (
sniper "boss-like" area at the end of the Suburbs)
. We really need a term for that. "De ja PHEW?"

Anyway, the game is really getting good in this second half. Much better pacing and far less
infected
enemies so far, though I have a bad feeling that'll change. It sort of has to, I guess. I much prefer fighting
humans, bandits, and the like

I have a very bad feeling about the ending, and I find it frustrating when a game is leading me down a path and I'm like "no no no no, they shouldn't be doing this, they should do this instead... HEY... HEY STOP! HEEEEY!"

No reason to believe the scientists of the fireflies are going to be decent people, and who's to say they won't just kill and dissect Ellie?
That's what I'm thinking, and I hope I'm wrong. :/

Just get a few vials of blood from her, Joel, and leave her with Tommy. Sheesh.

Amir0x

Banned
You have talked about the positives but what are the negatives so far and what do you think of this compared to UC2 and this year's infinite? Interested to know.

I have a list and notes of some real negatives, but I was holding them off for my review. In official topics, the trend tends to be when someone shares something negative, especially when something like this is so universally praised, the tendency is to wildly attack the person no matter how they back up their opinion.

So this time I'm just going to provide a heavily detailed post with my many criticisms in one central place and let people discuss what they will, so this way it won't seem lopsided to people (hey... I just prefer talking about things I don't like with people who disagree with me, because I learn something in those discussions, so sue me :p)

I've been fully engrossed by this game since release, but it wasn't until last night that all the mechanics finally clicked perfectly into place. I was able to find the right balance and rhythm between stealth, balls out, melee, sniping, devious trap setting and ambushes and the options to avoid combat altogether and full tilt running to save my ass.

The sheer wealth of tactical options available to you in each encounter is actually pretty staggering, even when it feels like you're being funneled into a situation with only one way out. Chances are there are interesting opportunities available, and sometimes its pure desperation which informs you.

This game is fucking brilliant in a great many ways, but maybe my favorite aspect of the game at the moment is how little hand-holding there is. I've learned my techniques the hard but rewarding way, and I'm loving this :)

neoism

UC2>TLOU>>UC3>>UC1... really liked it great characters story and ending....REALLY can't wait for NGs stuff on PS4 :O

I'm sure Derrick has a twitter, I can PM him for details. This thread is too damn positive, I need some complaining about the simplistic puzzles and the slow underwater swimming or the fact it's a linear action game and you kill hundreds of people and OMG this IQ is makes me vomit omgggg, etc.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm sure Derrick has a twitter, I can PM him for details. This thread is too damn positive, I need some complaining about the simplistic puzzles and the slow underwater swimming or the fact it's a linear action game and you kill hundreds of people and OMG this IQ is makes me vomit omgggg, etc.

You forgot the part about having zero gameplay.

I need some hardcore complaining too actually. I'm pretty surprised you like it as much as you do JC. Good shit.

So I have been hearing all about the first few hours being really slow but not sure if I agree... Where does everyone think it starts getting good good? I was actually really digging it for first few enemy encounters and then thought it slowed down a bit for Bill and then really got awesome for Pittsburgh and on. But I guess I'm in the minority there.

Amir0xs descriptions of the artistry and environmental narratives on display make me want to almost replay the game (almost half way through) and reexamine everything in detail. I never thought about the stuff he mentions but its so true. I think my playtime is about to be extended significantly.

DukeBobby

I need some hardcore complaining too actually. I'm pretty surprised you like it as much as you do JC. Good shit.

Yeah, this thread has been overwhelmingly positive. I don't recall anybody finishing the game and saying they didn't like it.

However, I do chuckle when I hear, "Played a few hours. Not quite feeling it so far."

Oh boy, they have no idea what they're in for.

Animal

Banned
I need help. About 55% in Hard mode.

I am in the sewer section after being separated from ellie and I am stuck with henry's borther as a companion. I get to the area where there is a clicker standing in fron of a very high ledge in what seems to be a children's play room. Everytime I sneak close he detects me.

StuBurns

Banned
So I have been hearing all about the first few hours being really slow but not sure if I agree... Where does everyone think it starts getting good good? I was actually really digging it for first few enemy encounters and then thought it slowed down a bit for Bill and then really got awesome for Pittsburgh and on. But I guess I'm in the minority there.
Start to end of Bill is kind of slow, post-Bill to Fall is great, Fall and after is stunning.

otapnam

Yeah, this thread has been overwhelmingly positive. I don't recall anybody finishing the game and saying they didn't like it.

However, I do chuckle when I hear, "Played a few hours. Not quite feeling it so far."

Oh boy, they have no idea what they're in for.

I played it in about 3 sessions of 5 hrs each. I'm paying for it now nursing a cold @ work. Havnt enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

They really combined uncharted, old school resident evil (survival/combining supplies), and metal gear (stealth) into one great game.

What do Game Hints, Strategic Hints, and Tutorial Hints enable/disable?

Cause I'm playing on Survivor with everything turned off and tutorials and L3 prompts still come up.

I played it in about 3 sessions of 5 hrs each. I'm paying for it now nursing a cold @ work. Havnt enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

They really combined uncharted, old school resident evil (survival/combining supplies), and metal gear (stealth) into one great game.

Not to mention that the multiplayer is actually decent as well.

I need help. About 55% in Hard mode.

I am in the sewer section after being separated from ellie and I am stuck with henry's borther as a companion. I get to the area where there is a clicker standing in fron of a very high ledge in what seems to be a children's play room. Everytime I sneak close he detects me.

Can`t remember how I killed that particular clicker, but I used the bow and arrow for most of the clickers in that area. Best weapon in the game so far.

"Jesus, Tomb Raider had better 'puzzles' than this shit."

"The writing was ok, but Obsidian would have been better. Also, some non-linearity would have went a long way. I would have loved to explore the world but you always go down this one path, meh."

I'm surprised myself. The slower first half of the game I was pretty cynical about it. "Yeah, this and this is good, but lol this infinite ammo section or look at that pop-in or how come this guard can't hear his buddy screaming at me to spare his life or wow that AI partner's footsteps are REALLY loud shouldn't that Clicker hear that, yadda yadda yadda". By the second half of the game, the cons didn't seem to matter very much. Like, I know what they are, but in the face of soooo many things I think the game did well, that inner-Derrick/Amirox in me kinda died down, and I noticed I just couldn't stop playing it, it was so engrossing.

I replayed some of UC2 the other night, my GotY of 2009, shit is child's play compared to what they achieved with this game. The interactive storytelling, the feel of a punch or a metal pipe breaking skull, the incredible attention to detail in the artwork, the environmental storytelling that shames even Valve's or Irrational Games' best output, the nuances in a character's body language or the extra meaning in a great, economical line of Druckmann's dialog, that desperate half-second between stealth and action and having to make a quick life-or-death decision, how damn effective the smash cut to black is to emphasize sudden violence, a perfect Gustavo Santaolalla music cue, the reverb of a voice inside a tunnel, the way pools of blood slowly come out of a guy's head, the high risk/reward of a bow and arrow,
GIRAFFES
...I could go on. It's incredible what this game does in so many areas, I actually stopped my critical facilities for extended periods of time.

Manu

The first 15 minutes of The Godfather are still pretty good, though. :p

If it came out today, NeoGAF would say "everything was so dark, I couldn't see shit. Also, there was a lot of unskippable dialogue. I thought this was a gangster film? I only made it twenty minutes in before trading my copy of the movie."

I'm sure I'll find something to bitch about, like the formulaic plot or something, but I'm too busy getting into D&D to play this atm :p I haven't even touched it personally, just watching the lady work on her playthrough. Her reaction so far is mild disappointment over the AI, and the fact that it seems a lot less tense to her than Manhunt. She's never played an Uncharted and it's been interesting to hear her complain about little things like the level design feeling kinda restricted and the controls. She is still early on though, and already enjoying it.

I'll admit I'm itching to play, hearing everyone go nuts over the second half.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just wanted to come back in here to say, I love this game. I love everything about it. Even the retarded companion AI that leads to some hilarious anti-stealth moments. It's a video game, after all, just one of the most immersive and compelling I've played all generation. Red Dead Redemption probably comes closest to making me feel like I'm moving through a real world, and The Last of Us isn't even open world.

I'm not even close to finishing the game, but I'm in love with it, and it's secured Naughty Dog's place as one of my favorite developers of all time.

The world building in this game is second to none, really. I think there are RPGs that don't make me feel as part of the world as this game does. Just exploring for salvage, admiring the artistry and detail at work has been as much of a joy as the narrative and gameplay.

Sadly, I haven't gotten a chance to play it in two days due to work and other stuff, but I'm off work on time tonight, and can at least devote 3 or so hours to TLoU. Can't wait, and I'm counting the minutes until I get out of here.

I just hit Fall. This game is so delicious. Would you guys say I'm 50% of the way through? I'm surprised at how long this game is going for a shooter.

Fall was mind blowing good and then winter was like a moneyshot and I'm not even done with it. I swear, I think about the game all day and about the characters as if they're real.

Doran902

finished it, 13.5 hours, normal, 90 collectibles

watching the making of doc tonight

completely blown away by this game, going to do a couple more playthroughs for sure and order the art book

suprised by the soundtrack, dont see that getting mentioned enough, great stuff

Fall was mind blowing good and then winter was like a moneyshot and I'm not even done with it. I swear, I think about the game all day and about the characters as if they're real.

Phew tough call. Fall or Pittsburgh? Granted I don't think I'm done with the former but I sure loved the latter...

Top Bottom