• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

This is such a good game-it ruins other games. After I finished this game-I went back to chipping away at my backlog and they just seem so...plain and boring in comparison. Naughty Dog are geniuses. I bought the Season Pass the minute I finished the game simply to support them and watch the documentary.

Jinjo

I just hit
Fall.
This game is so delicious. Would you guys say I'm 50% of the way through? I'm surprised at how long this game is going for a shooter.

I'm a good hour into
Fall
too and at times I still can't believe how amazing (and long indeed) this game is. Started of a bit slow maybe (which I really didn't mind), but the quality is just getting better and better in an almost linear fashion. Absolutely loving the characterization and story. I know that's Naughty Dog, but this is on another level from Uncharted. Enjoying every bit of it.

Special mention for making a survival horror game an actual survival horror game. Resources/ammunition are definitely scarce, throughout the entire game (well up until where I am now). I'm used to swimming (and subsequently always disappointed) in ammo/med packs/grenades and whatever by the time I hit the halfway point in every survival game I've ever played. Not in this one.

DrBo42

Guys, some people still haven't finished the game or even started playing. Please be responsible with location and season spoilers.

Raxus

In Pittsburgh area

I found a safe in Hotel lobby. Anyone know where it's combination might be?

Find the ladder and climb up. Instead of going left got right and hug the wall to get to the elevator. There is a note with the combination and inside the safe is one of the best training manuals in the game :D

*edit*damn I am slow...

So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Cause I started a Survivor playthrough, set everything to off, and still get tutorial hints, etc.
---

Anyway, so my Hard playthrough was 17 hours 3 minutes. Now for Survivor, I'm planning to go super slow, examine every detail, appreciate everything (especially after watching the Grounded documentary)...

Hope I can get 20hrs+

Find the ladder and climb up. Instead of going left got right and hug the wall to get to the elevator. There is a note with the combination and inside the safe is one of the best training manuals in the game :D

*edit*damn I am slow...

Omg YES. My life is now complete.

So guys, I got this game last tuesday, and I've been taking my time with it plus have not been able to put as much time into it as I've wanted, I'm basically 63% in the game with 9.5 hours. The start of the second half if you will, and even though I've not experienced what is to come (yet hearing how the second half is amazing), looking back I appreciate the pacing of this even more now. Starting with a bang... then slowly starting back up, gaining momentum, and then running full tilt. I think it really adds to the overall experience. I'll be sure to see if this is my thoughts after beating it completely, but I get the feeling it will. Call it a hunch.

Finished my first playthrough and it was an incredible experience. I love the art and sound design and the character interactions and story are definitely among the best the medium has to offer. I really didn't want the experience to end, but don't really want to jump into a second playthrough right away as the experience was so concise and self contained that it is enough to just sit back and reflect on the whole event.

My only real gripe is that the companion AI breaks the immersion when I am trying to stealth. I wish that the characters would hold back, or follow directions and act in accordance with your play style. However, the experience of the game minimizes that issue considerably.

This is by far my favourite ND game and a very well crafted balance between cinematic story telling and interesting gameplay. I am happy that I didn't have to wait until PS4 came out, but I am sad that I will have to wait 2+ years into the new console's life before this team can release another game.

Duffyside

Banned
Heh, have to admit I was hoping someone was going to quote me and tell me I was wrong. Now I'm more worried than before...

The only question I have left is:

What did Derrick think of this?

Since you guys brought him up, why was he banned? For this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54264105&highlight=#post54264105

That seems odd, considering what he was responding to, let alone the duration of the ban (four months?).

Edit: Maybe the post in question was deleted?

Gorillaz

Wait if I leave a game early my survivors become hungry and sick?

what the fuck it put me in a game that literally was down to only 3 extra lives against a team with 13 left......

otapnam

im too lazy to go back and try but
does the flamethrower kill silently? i beat the game and didnt even really use it lol

troy baker's va performance is absolutely incredible in this, goes to show you how important voice direction is. compare how corny he sounds as ocelot in the mgs5 trailer.

Beaulieu

Is it me or this game suffers from sound issues ?
In the cinematic, sound is a shitload lower than in the game. I brought all sound bars to 1/4 except for the "movies" bar and it's still shitty.

Wtf.
I dont want to put up subtitles for cinematics only.

edit : seems like balancing issues. some voice are loud as fuck while others are barely audible.

Vire

Is it me or this game suffers from sound issues ?
In the cinematic, sound is a shitload lower than in the game. I brought all sound bars to 1/4 except for the "movies" bar and it's still shitty.

Wtf.
I dont want to put up subtitles for cinematics only.

I think it's you?...

Roughly the same decibel for me. For what it's worth I used headphones.

I kinda slapped myself in the face when I realized that the tools are actually levels and not spent.......went through the game barely upgraded.

felt challenging though with the way i completely goofed that up lol.

Amir0x

Banned
man you guys were hyping up non-linear wider areas later, so far nothing is notably much bigger than what I've encounter to date. Do things change after Suburbs?

Yea this games environment, character art, concept, design, execution is all flawless. I hate to say it, but it is actually TOO GOOD at times. Coming from a person who is in school to become an environment artist, a lot of their shit just makes me weep. At times I was yelling at the screen, "RELAX NAUGHTY DOG! You don't need to put together EVERY single room with an insane amount of detail and unique assets/textures!" makes me just feel like shit.

Walked into some random room that I almost passed by but my gf said to go check it out and it was some boys room that was full detailed and realized with old comics stacked up and broken toys. Disgusting amounts of detail... I'll never work at ND :(

Also I love that they included the Pelican Pub/Inn from Uncharted 3! I was screaming in joy, because I modeled that entire bar for one of my classes. It was almost 100% exact in LoU as it was in U3. And it's funny because that was the first place Last of Us was shown, was in that Inn (on a newspaper). Loved it.

My game of the generation

Vire

man you guys were hyping up non-linear wider areas later, so far nothing is notably much bigger than what I've encounter to date. Do things change after Suburbs?
Pittsburgh and the Suburbs level are roughly 6 times the size of an Uncharted map. What exactly were you expecting?...

It's not Skyrim.

Reading the comments makes me really want to just forget sa\/ing for a PC and just buy a PS3 and get this.

I can't wait to play it in the future sometime. ._. :p

Top Bottom