• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

StuBurns

Banned
man you guys were hyping up non-linear wider areas later, so far nothing is notably much bigger than what I've encounter to date. Do things change after Suburbs?
There aren't any notably large areas, except one, but it doesn't really encourage you to search it.

Amir0x

Banned
Pittsburgh and the Suburbs level are roughly 6 times the size of an Uncharted map. What exactly were you expecting?...

It's not Skyrim.

Nah, you need the context.

People were saying that the point I was at (Hotel) is like technically 1/3 into the game, because after that point the areas start getting much more non-linear/wider than what was previously in the game. I was saying so far they're really only slightly bigger, I haven't seen any areas much bigger than what I've already encountered so far.

A nail bomb and a couple of shells drops them, the
flamethrower
requires you to be far too close for my taste.

It takes 10-15 rounds to take a bloater down with the power upgrade, it is amazing for crowd control, and if you invested on its range, you don't even have to worry about being close.
Even more so that one burning enemy burns the others.

If you just burst bit by bit, you almost always end up with more ammo after the drop.

Godtier.

Vire

Nah, you need the context.

People were saying that the point I was at (Hotel) is like technically 1/3 into the game, because after that point the areas start getting much more non-linear/wider than what was previously in the game. I was saying so far they're really only slightly bigger, I haven't seen any areas much bigger than what I've already encountered so far.

Ah yeah, I don't really think they get much bigger than what you encountered. But I certainly did get lost in the last area for what it's worth.

Pittsburgh and the Suburbs level are roughly 6 times the size of an Uncharted map. What exactly were you expecting?...

It's not Skyrim.

The suburban areas were insanely huge and almost every house you could go through, some even go into the attics. Like holy shit.

But I think
the college
is the biggest area. And I was amazed that there was only about 8-10 environment artists on the core team... nuts

Amir0x

Banned
Ah yeah, I don't really think they get much bigger than what you encountered. But I certainly did get lost in the last area for what it's worth.

Honestly, it's a pretty linear game, but this game does a pretty good job of making it seem significantly more complex than it actually is, which is really the best balance I can think of if you must guide your players tightly. It's another area where Naughty Dog managed to come into their own, I think, and strike the right tone for THE LAST OF US.

calder

Just finished, realized I went through the whole thing never using two weapons. Oops, just always assumed I'd run into something I'd need to bust out the big guns for, bu usually was able to sneak through.

No wait, one weapon I didn't use. I definitely used all the rifles.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
troy baker's va performance is absolutely incredible in this, goes to show you how important voice direction is. compare how corny he sounds as ocelot in the mgs5 trailer.
Writing is pretty important. You will never sound cool saying dumb shot like "bring the legend back to life" or whatever asscrap HIDEOS came up with.

Beaulieu

I think it's you?...

Roughly the same decibel for me. For what it's worth I used headphones.

fuck, must be something wrong with my setup.
in game also, sometimes a character will be 3 meters away and I'll hear his voice as if he's 30 meters away

troy baker's va performance is absolutely incredible in this, goes to show you how important voice direction is. compare how corny he sounds as ocelot in the mgs5 trailer.

Neil Druckmann's realistic, economical script/dialog is about as far away from Kojima's as humanly possible in this "cinematic stealth action game" genre can be

void666

Banned
On my second playthrough i'm doing silly things like running around startling all clickers.
I did it at the
subway part after leaving Ellie and Tess in a safe place.
Apart from their 1 hit kill clickers are not that hard. You can outrun them easily.

Just finished Last of Us, great game, loved the characters and story and world. I felt totally immersed in the experience and every little detail was amazing. One of the best looking games ever, if I had one complaint it's that sometimes the enemy AI was very stupid. Overall great game truly one of a kind gameplay and an emointal connection to the characters that video games don't usually get right.

Lima

Is it me or this game suffers from sound issues ?
In the cinematic, sound is a shitload lower than in the game. I brought all sound bars to 1/4 except for the "movies" bar and it's still shitty.

Wtf.
I dont want to put up subtitles for cinematics only.

edit : seems like balancing issues. some voice are loud as fuck while others are barely audible.

This game has an extreme dynamic range. Go into the options menu and use a different dynamic range setting or turn the dynamic range limiter on in your AVR. Nothing wrong with the game.

It is one of the few games mixed at reference level that is normally used for movies with the best dynamic range in any game yet. Absolutely incredible.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just finished, about 13 hours on Normal. The ending was solid. Overall a fantastic experience, and probably my GOTY. One of the more mature and cinematic games I've played, with great gameplay to boot. ND outdid themselves.

Stillmatic

I'm about 10h30m in and just reached the 50% mark, man I must be slow. I'm playing on hard with listen mode off and I try to take mostly a stealthy approach.

I love the attention to detail, not only graphically but in the sound and animation too. Little touches like when you spin the camera around while walking forward the characters smoothly go from strafing to walking backwards. How Joel leans over Ellie when they take up the same space behind cover. Shining the flashlight in Tess or Ellie's face they squint or put their arm up to block the light. Small details like this add so much.

Last night I got up to the part where you (45-50% in spoiler)
fall down the elevator shaft and have to make your way back to Ellie
. It was around 12am here and I was playing lights off with headphones on (again sound in this game is fucking amazing) and I was creeping around every corner all tensed up trying to find supplies and the way out, then I get to the
generator and try to get it going and I get the biggest fucking fright from a sneaky infected, then comes in a rush of Runners/Stalkers that destroy my nerves because I'm pretty light on ammo. I give the generator some more juice and more Runners appear followed by a fucking Bloater!
I panicked like fuck trying to scramble away and ended up dying on the floor above, my heart was racing like mad. I was shitting myself having to do it again.

This game is pretty amazing so far, quality stuff.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The only gripe I have, and it's a small niggle, is that it doesn't matter what level durability a shiv is at you still use one up to a whole 3 bars worth opening a locked door. I had three in hand with one on 1/3 durability left, opened a door a then I had two shivs with one only 1/3 durability left. In reality it should only use one shiv, not reduce durability in the next one as well.

Teknoman

Do not play this game late at night, in the dark with headphones, and in a room full of clickers. Stuff is nervewracking x_x

EDIT: What are the differences between the audio range settings like Midnight?

Still very early on but had an odd bug where one of the clickers (I think) could see me, but couldn't hit me, nor I it. I was separated from Ellie & Tess and there's a piece of office furniture that blocks a door, I pull it and it snaps back to it's original spot in front of the door so kind of stuck.

Sloppily killed everything else in the room, but this one clicker can't be killed. I've had enough for tonight, but hoping reloading it will fix that.

I'm having fun with the stealth - like all stealth games I've played it's janky as hell but still lots of fun reloading for that perfect stealth run - Though a little silly seeing your partners running around and spazzing out right next to enemies who don't pay any attention to them! >_<

Do not play this game late at night, in the dark with headphones, and in a room full of clickers. Stuff is nervewracking x_x

Dynamic range is how wide the sound stage is. Do NOT put it on midnight, it's a bad setting for audio especially for headphones. If they're surround then set them to wide or max, this will make the audio sound far away from your head and a bit more distant. Having it on normal will just have it like any other game
It's also kind of how loud everything is. midnight makes everything kind of meld together while maximum spreads it out a bit more.

I'm sure midnight just equalizes all the audio and subdues the bass so you can put it at a quieter volume (like most audio things with that mode).

Andrew.

Banned
I've noticed when you do a silent takedown you can sometimes hear their neck snap. Other times you can't. Just discovered this.

I posted this in the spoiler thread but it's not a spoiler so I thought I would let people know.

There is a way to start the game (supposedly) on survival. I can't test it since I already beat the game, but the same trick can let you start a new game + on another difficulty.

Start the game, beat chapter 1 (the prologue). When the game starts proper, quit to the main menu, go to chapter select and select chapter 1. It should let you pick any difficulty. I've heard it confirmed but I can't test it.

If you start a new game +, quit after chapter 1 and do this, you will start survivor with your same gear from the other difficulty. This I tried and it worked.

Of course no body that has done this has beaten it again yet so we don't know if it will hose the trophies. Fair Warning.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And done. 18:58 w/ 103 collectibles on Normal.

Fantastic game, sets a new high-bar for ND and deserving of all the accolades its received.

I'm having no luck with this game and I haven't even played it.

I ordered the game last week from Amazon and it was to be shipped on me on Friday. Or so I thought. Monday comes around and after receiving nothing I called UPS. It seems it got lost in the warehouse. Amazon was kind enough to send another copy via A-1 Courier Services for same day delivery. I get home and nothing so I check the order status and I get a notification that the item was delivered to my front door. This was odd since someone was home all day and checked the doorbell as soon as it rang and nothing was there.

I called Amazon again and they sent me another copy to be delivered tomorrow.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone having issues with this game and Astro A50s? The sound works on my PS3 dash, but when I launch the game I have no audio. Is it something with my settings?

Personally fall and beyond can be broken up into different sittings...it's possible but it's alot of rush...I mean alot and without dying too much

Ok then I probably won't attempt it. I've been taking my time so far and loving every second of it, don't want to rush. I do own it, I'm just addicted to it and feel bad for my wife :)

Vire

Even more surprising, Nolan North is amazing in this game, way way better than his Drake work.

I was genuinely surprised to find out it was him, but I do have one complaint with that character.

His voice sounds a bit too much like a South Park character and I couldn't shake the thought

It was still pretty well done though.

Stillmatic

When grabbing enemies, is it random when you've grabbed an enemy and push square to strangle and you either strangle them, or do another action like a head stomp? Sometimes I want to do a silent take-down by strangling, but every now and then when I grab someone I push square and instead I do a take-down that alerts people close by.

Just beat the game. Clocked around around 24 hours (I'm very slow and explore areas multiple times before continuing). While it is flawed in some areas, I really enjoyed the game, and is one of my favorite games this year.

The "Winter" chapter was, by far, the best one. I honestly didn't really like the final chapter all that much. It was just... alright.

I need more time to process the ending, I think.
As the credits rolled, I felt kind of disappointed in how the events unfolded at the end. Maybe that's what they were going for with how Joel acted, though. Or maybe they just wanted to leave room for a sequel? Hmm.. Like I said, need more time to think about it.

Off to the spoiler thread!

---

EDIT: Also, I had no idea Nolan North played as that certain character until the credits. I was shocked. lol

Amir0x

Banned
Did anyone play through on the unlocked difficulty mode yet? I wish so bad I could have started on it because Hard seems too easy :(

Is Survivor mode really tough?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Even more surprising, Nolan North is amazing in this game, way way better than his Drake work.

Come on. He's very good and he masks his DRAKEVOICE really well, but this is a slight to the surprising dexterity he portrays as Drake and the great direction of Hennig and co.

Did anyone play through on the unlocked difficulty mode yet? I wish so bad I could have started on it because Hard seems too easy :(

Is Survivor mode really tough?

It really just limits your crafting supplies. Damage taken is high but not ridiculous. No one hit kills from bullets or anything.

Top Bottom