• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Nolan North is in this game? Who?

Tried multiplayer today, and I am not very good
i6D7vJG0Ocws1.gif

W1SSY

Just got done playing a couple hours of multi and really like it. The crafting system works well and adds a new layer to what would otherwise be a typical shooter. So far I have enjoyed both multiplayer games from Naughty Dog this generation.

CoolNumber9

Well I just finished it at 15:16 on hard and loved every single second of it. Now my favorite game of all time!! I have never cared this much for characters in a game....ever. Thank you ND! Can't wait for what these geniuses do on PS4!

CoolNumber9

Just got done playing a couple hours of multi and really like it. The crafting system works well and adds a new layer to what would otherwise be a typical shooter. So far I have enjoyed both multiplayer games from Naughty Dog this generation.

100% agree. I played a little after finishing SP and really liked it!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving the sweet little southern accent Troy Baker lets shine through for Joel. Somehow I really just noticed it from fall onwards.

Yanksfan

I know it has been answered or discussed, but I skimmed the last handful of posts and don't want to read a lot more since I haven't played it yet..can anyone tell me if a patch has been released yet that resolved the save issue?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I know it has been answered or discussed, but I skimmed the last handful of posts and don't want to read a lot more since I haven't played it yet..can anyone tell me if a patch has been released yet that resolved the save issue?
No patch needed. The problem was server side, and resolved within the day of release.

Rhindle

I'm loving the sweet little southern accent Troy Baker lets shine through for Joel. Somehow I really just noticed it from fall onwards.
It's kind of inconsistent though, isn't it? He does lay it on more often towards the end of the game. I can't tell whether that's intentional or not, i.e. whether it's Joel occasionally trying to be "folksy."

Yeef

The multiplayer is actually a fair amount of fun. Nothing like laying a nail bomb outside of a window and then, half way through the match, getting a kill from the opposite side of the map.

The reviver perk is pretty great too. Sticking together is paramount and being able to revive fallen teammates quickly is pretty huge.

Ok. This game seriously dials it up about halfway through. Ellie becomes more useful and interesting. Cool things happening story and gameplay-wise.

basement. Tank. Sam and Henry. ellie jumping into the water.

Feeling this a lot more than before.

sunnz

Ok.

Seriously now, the armour in MP is just horrible. So OP ( not only in how strong it is, but also since you can get it so quickly and put it on any-time with no effect on speed or anything, at least add more sway to guns)

Arnie

Ok so I just got inside
the school

Holy fuck, this looks intense. Tickers and runners everywhere, shotgun only has one shot remaining, doesn't look like it'll be easy to sneak through. Died a few times so I'm going to go to bed and sleep on it.

Stoze

Although I was excited for this game, I wasn't super hyped about it, mainly because the Uncharted games weren't my thing, and to be honest I thought they were kind of forgettable. This game on the other hand, is fantastic.

Everything about the game is just about pitch perfect, except for some of the combat mechanics. There was one point where there was a fairly large area of guys, and I scouted out the entire area before actually killing anyone. One by one I took out guys using my bow and my choking and shiv kills. Everyone was dead, except for one, so I just ran up to him and beat him to death. I start making my way to the exit, only to get ambushed and destroyed by 3 newly spawned guys just because the last guy saw me a split second before killing him. Kind of frustrating after I had painstakingly stealthed through the entire area.

Also, for some reason shooting people with arrows sometimes alerts everyone and their mother across the map to know exactly where you are, other times it just quietly kills them as it should. Even shooting people with guns would sometimes confuse the enemy, other times they would know my exact location. That's some stone-age stealth design, kind of disappointed to see it in game. Same goes with the enemy lines of sight, which just feels off a lot of the time.

Last complaint was Naughty Dog throwing me free ammo after I die a couple times, which is kind of annoying considering I spent half my time scavenging for and managing supplies and ammo, only for them to just serve it to me without effort.

Still, when the combat works, its really satisfying. It was also incredibly stressful, in a good way. It felt like playing a horror game in the fact that I felt uncomfortable going into most situations, but still wanted to get push through it. That's how a survival game should be. Even by the end of Hard mode when I was decked out on equipment, I still felt tension when trying to stealth kill enemies or set up a perfect molotov cocktail. Sometimes I just felt like busting people up with the revolver though without a care in the world.

As far as anything else goes, there's not much to say other than it's fantastic. The graphics, sound design, voice acting, writing, soundtrack, etc., all of it is god tier. I spent a lot of time just observing the environment and taking everything in as I had done with Bioshock Infinite, which helps explain the approximate 24 hours it took for me to beat the game. Although the story is predictable in a classic post-apocalyptic fashion, its executed and presented incredibly well, and I personally thought the ending was pretty shocking and left an impression on me. There aren't many game companies that can do that.

I was also thinking my refurbished launch PS3 was going to explode, I can't believe what they've squeezed out of this dated ass hardware. It's up there as a GOTY contender for me.

Teknoman

The multiplayer is actually a fair amount of fun. Nothing like laying a nail bomb outside of a window and then, half way through the match, getting a kill from the opposite side of the map.

The reviver perk is pretty great too. Sticking together is paramount and being able to revive fallen teammates quickly is pretty huge.

Thats what I like to hear. Also yeah what Amirox said, i'm surprised one hasnt been started yet.

Violater

Ok so I just got inside
the school

Holy fuck, this looks intense. Tickers and runners everywhere, shotgun only has one shot remaining, doesn't look like it'll be easy to sneak through. Died a few times so I'm going to go to bed and sleep on it.

I found a really good weapon at the beginning of that area.

Just reached
_________Fall
at ~13 hours.

Wow @ the execution of what just happened. Might be the first time I've seen something like that in a game minus any cheese or flat out bad acting. The last 2 hours have been great.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of inconsistent though, isn't it? He does lay it on more often towards the end of the game. I can't tell whether that's intentional or not, i.e. whether it's Joel occasionally trying to be "folksy."
I'm not through the game yet, but yeah, it got really noticeable from fall onwards. Gotta listen closely on my survivor run.
If the voice over wasn't recorded chronologically, which is likely, it would be really strange for Troy to mix it up without reason.

Gorillaz

Just reached
Fall
at ~13 hours.

Wow @ the execution of what just happened. Might be the first time I've seen something like that in a game minus any cheese or flat out bad acting. The last 2 hours have been great.

Yea I was happy they didn't go into a cheesy like way of doing that scene

vilmer_

The part with
Ellie and Joel encountering the giraffes over the calm and serene landscape combined with that amazing music really got me. I sat there for a while overlooking the edge, reminiscing.

Cheska

For those who beat the game or are late into the game,
Does the game get scarier than the Hotel in Pittsburgh? I was legitimately creeped out.

Gartooth

OK just to let anyone know who was here when I asked, I did manage to get the hunting rifle that I missed earlier in the game. I got it a few hours as an item drop from an enemy in
Pittsburgh.

traveler

Not Wario
Does the game get scarier than the Hotel in Pittsburgh? I was legitimately creeped out.

That's probably the most tense part of the game, but there are definitely a few other moments that approach it later on.

Late-r spoilers:
The section in the university dormitory had me pretty anxious.

traveler

Not Wario
Finished this tonight. I'll do a more detailed writeup tomorrow, but this game completely surpassed my expectations and made me rethink some of my general design philosophies re:stories and games. Legitimately impressed.

No, I absolutely feel more connected to Ellie and I've said multiple times throughout this thread how much greater of a character she is than Elizabeth, but I was talking about that one moment specifically.

Ah, sorry. I'm mostly avoiding this thread in fear of running into the tiniest spoilers.

jediyoshi

Ffff, day ends at exactly 99 survivors. Need 85 supplies a match to pull through x_x

So about MP. Are you stuck with whatever faction you pick? And is there any difference between the factions?

You're stuck for as long as your clan holds out or until the weeks are up.

Nope. As far as horror goes, that's the height of it, at least for me. There are 1 or 2 areas that are scary, but not on the same level.

The later games focuses on heightening the story

Started my Survivor run and am about 25% through, man such a difference in regards to scavenging and sight/hearing distances with the AI. Definitely adds some much needed suspense to the game. Still stealth is still king, especially since ammo is so scarce, good thing I had alot of practice the first time through haha

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's probably the most tense part of the game, but there are definitely a few other moments that approach it later on.

Late-r spoilers:
The section in the university dormitory had me pretty anxious.

That section hit too close to home for me. It was too...recent, I guess. Reading the diaries, thinking about young adults
holed up in those barricaded dorm rooms getting so desperate...some smoking their last weed, lol

It was VERY well realized and it creeped me out.

Imm0rt4l

My buddy let me borrow his copy of RE6 and I played a bit of it but stopped since i bought tlou. As if I weren't already critical while playing re, its going to be even worse since completing tlou. This game is sublime.

vilmer_

I've been telling my friends that the psn needs some sort of gifting option, because I'd be pulling the trigger left and right. Game is sold out everywhere and deserves to sell a trillion copies.

Top Bottom