• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

1/3rd of the game through.

Joel gives Ellie her first gun. You know it was coming, but the way it was handled, in such a mature fashion.
You don't see that in videogames where everything is spoon fed. You know there is fuckload of shit going on inside Joel's head and the communication between him and Ellie is done perfectly, especially in that segment. I just wanted to comment on that segment and that it made me a very happy man. I HATE what Kojima did to MGS universe. Uncharted's narrative was supposed to be thin and fast paced. My faith in storytelling in videogames is renewed.

Seriously, every other videogame pales in comparison to TLoU in every aspect. I'm gonna write up a mega thesis on this game once I'm through.

Footos22

Got to
uni
and searched around for about 30 mins.

Got back outside. No sky box. Windows were all see through. As in see right through the entire map. Ellie was
stood atop her horse frozen.
no generator to activate Nd no textures. Game crashed and now my save won't load. Luckily I can chapter select and have only lost about 30 mins of play. But damn was that off putting.

Started my Survivor run and am about 25% through, man such a difference in regards to scavenging and sight/hearing distances with the AI. Definitely adds some much needed suspense to the game. Still stealth is still king, especially since ammo is so scarce, good thing I had alot of practice the first time through haha
I know what you mean. I died in the freaking tutorial. But then using my 17 hours of experience, I owned like a badass.

Question: So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Cause I started a Survivor playthrough, set everything to off, and still get tutorial hints, etc.

DukeBobby

My buddy let me borrow his copy of RE6 and I played a bit of it but stopped since i bought tlou. As if I weren't already critical while playing re, its going to be even worse since completing tlou. This game is sublime.

I can't imagine how much I'd hate Resident Evil 6 if I played it now.

So I'm on my second playthrough and this game goes by super fast if you skip cutscenes, go straight to the next areas, and don't explore. I think I'm 3hrs in and I'm already at the E3 demo part. I think I might finish this game speeding through it in 7-8hrs.

Multiplayer fixed yet?

What are you finding wrong with it?

I'm loving it when I get a match, but its being completely killed by pre/early-game network issues. Disconnecting me from host, locking the system, taking an age to find matches, throwing me out of games etc

I wouldn't mind so much, but the punishment is bizarrely harsh. I understand that there needs to be a punishment for quitting, but having your clan destroyed because the host disconnects, or because your connection fails 5seconds into a match is game-breakingly stupid.

I've asked twice whether anyone else is having these problems in here, and I've had no answer either way, so I don't have a clue if its my internet, my Ps3, or the game that is causing this clusterfuck

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished a couple hours ago. Still letting everything sink in. Damn. What an experience. No other game plays quite like this an nothing else is as daring with the story. Naughty Dog was already one of my favorite developers but they really outdid themselves with this one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just beat it. That is some next level shit right there. What a masterpiece. Go buy it if you havent. Seriously its like a Gaffer made a dream list and they checked everything off.

Okay so I'm 58% through the game in the
Sewers

Enemy question:
I'm at the part where I'm split up with the other kid. There's a huge room with some clickers and other guys. Well these other guys are like the best of both worlds. It seems they can see me AND they can hear me unless I'm going super slow. Do the enemies stay this way from now on? Because it seems I have to either be in the perfect spot to jump them around a corner, or I'm going to have to deal with it and fight these guys...

Spat_triate

I finished.

I'm spent.

Winter is the best season. The opening scene, the unexpected turn, the ending, all perfectly done.

ND has managed to succeed where many in other creative mediums (much less vidyagames) have failed. The subtleties that served only to build emotional layers and connect us to the world are sublime. Every emotion from the player/viewer is hard-earned and deserved.

Bravo ND, Bravo.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont know how Naughty Dog tops this honestly. I mean it took me 18 hours to beat this. They dont make games that long that look this good anymore. Its nuts.

I know what you mean. I died in the freaking tutorial. But then using my 17 hours of experience, I owned like a badass.

Question: So what exactly do the Game Hints, Strategic Hints, Tutorial Hints, and Keep Tag Popups settings enable/disable?

Cause I started a Survivor playthrough, set everything to off, and still get tutorial hints, etc.

Yeah, knowing what enemies will be in a room and their general paths (I really feel like I'm playing MGS...) help alot with Survivor mode. Still lots of restarts when shit goes sideways haha, definitely can't use my Bum Rush tactic anymore lol

Wait...so I'm over 50% done and I just realized that you can use bricks as melee weapons!? wtfff

Let me blow your mind even more. You can have a brick, stand next to another brick....throw it at a clicker stunning it, pick up the other brick and sprint towards it beating the shit out of it. Great way to save a shiv. I also use this technique to one shot all enemies with a melee weapon.

I dont know how Naughty Dog tops this honestly. I mean it took me 18 hours to beat this. They dont make games that long that look this good anymore. Its nuts.

Last of Us 2

~Kinggi~

Banned
Let me blow your mind even more. You can have a brick, stand next to another brick....throw it at a clicker stunning it, pick up the other brick and sprint towards it beating the shit out of it. Great way to save a shiv. I also use this technique to one shot all enemies with a melee weapon.

Last of Us 2

Oh wow

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm sure they're going to try to do more but I doubt they'll be able to top this story. The world has a ton of potential but these characters and their journey is so perfectly realized that anything else will likely fall a bit flat or seem like it's trying to hard to outdo this one. It'll be a daunting task to make another.

Megasoum

Banned
The training manuals are just the most satisfying collectibles ever. Every single time I got one I said "FUCCCK YEAHH" out loud lol. Soo good!

Yeef

I've asked twice whether anyone else is having these problems in here, and I've had no answer either way, so I don't have a clue if its my internet, my Ps3, or the game that is causing this clusterfuck
I've only played 3 or 4 matches so far, but I haven't had any connection issues at all. Also never had anyone drop from the game on either side.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey the last of yous guys,

Does anyone know if ND's games are region-locked for multiplayer?
I've read a couple of threads/replies elsewhere that Uncharted 2 is world-wide multiplayer, but I was wondering if anything changed since the online pass for UC3.

Seeing as TLoU has an online pass, I just wanted to check that my friend and I would be able to play together - one on PAL version and one on JPN version.

Thanks!

I've only played 3 or 4 matches so far, but I haven't had any connection issues at all. Also never had anyone drop from the game on either side.

Wonder if there's an issue connecting the UK to worldwide players. It always fails to find a close game

2782676478.png

While not great, this is surely fast enough for a 4vs4 game?

I did the connection test on the PS3 and it was giving me 7.5mbps, so that could be a problem? If its a wireless receiver problem, I'm screwed for playing this MP with the punishment for bad connections. No chance I'm buying a new PS3 with the PS4 just around the corner.

Shame, as I really enjoy it and am part of a very casual clan with like 10 people in it :(

LastNac

I haven't played it yet but when I was at E3 I found out while talking to Kurt Margenau that he designed the opening of TloU. This gets me super excited because he was the one who was behind the desert(chapter 18) in Uncharted 3 which has gone on to become my favorite moment in the interactive medium.

I have heard that the beginning of TLoU is mindblowing and emotional. Can't wait.

GulAtiCa

Now 51% in Survival mode. Going pretty well so far. As you might have guessed, mostly sneaking by. Really can't afford to engage in fights. Right now I am also saving my tool upgrades and skill upgrades. Already used it on health and weapon sway, and about to use it on max health upgrade. My tool upgrades for weapons is interesting right now. I have about 400+ points that can be used, but since I don't have enough level, can't really use them yet.

Vally

I finally got past the hotel basement, right now I'm at 56% (
Sewers
). So far Pittsburgh is my favorite area in the game, and from what I've read it gets better later on.

The encounters in this game never cease to amaze me. I grabbed some guy and another one was coming for me carrying a molotov in his hand. I aimed at him with my gun while holding the other one hostage, and he turned around and tried to get away... when I shot him he suddenly started to burn in flames because I apparently shot his molotov bottle.

Jagxyz

You don't need to use that first brick to stun them, if you catch a clicker before it's enraged you can kill it with a single brick.

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Just beat it. Wow, that was..damn. Along with Bioshock Infinite this has been a good year for game endings.

Winter was probably my favorite season. Unexpected and I was very pleased with the ending.
I'm glad Ellie technically saved herself. Although I guess she got "damsel'ed in distress" at the end of the game but I swear if someone brings that up they clearly didn't play Winter

GulAtiCa

Speaking of the Hotel Basement:
Man, that bloater game me hell my first playthrough on Normal. Which is why on my new playthrough on Survival, I just turned on the generator and ran as quickly as I could to the door. Should have done that the first time. I prob spent an hour on Normal on that area, dying and dying again. This time I spent 3 minutes. :lol

Finished it last night! My mini review of sorts:

I’m just going to throw this out there straight away: it is probably my GOTY. Bear in mind, this accolade is coming from someone who never fully boarded the TLoU hype train and whose expectations were more or less in check, especially after ND’s disappointing effort with UC3 and my general jadedness towards the cinematic shooter genre (Tomb Raider was the straw that broke the camel’s back, even if it was a decent game). Heck, I don’t even own a PS3 anymore, so the plan was to return it after seeing what all the fuss is about.

First and foremost: there is nothing else like this game – well, not that I’ve played. It truly possesses a unique identity in every department.

Needless to say, the presentation is peerless. ND have truly outdone themselves in this regard. The narrative is handled with quite the deft touch, lending to it the feel of a revered and well directed film; not something you’d expect from a video game, basically. Dialogue is realistic and expertly delivered by all cast members. I guess that’s the benefit of having a small and talented cast of VAs. It makes Uncharted or any other narrative-heavy title seem somewhat poorly executed in comparison. Obviously, the UC comparison doesn’t hold that much weight, given the completely different mood/subject matter, but the kicker is that the comparison can extend beyond merely the scope of storytelling... Yep. It’s also a better shooter than UC, which brings me to…

Gameplay. It’s gud, guys. Very gud. At first, I was a bit lukewarm on it – that’s not to say that I thought it was bad – I just didn’t think it was anything amazing (stupid semi-hype) After persevering for a few hours, though, it clicked.

Firstly, the movement is superb. In particular, the feel and look of Joel’s sprint animation is fantastic and probably the best I’ve seen in a TPS; the camera wobble/shake is perfect. As expected, all animations are top-notch and there’s a satisfying sense of weight and presence. It’s not “Killzone heavy”, but it’s heavy and it’s beautifully suited to the game.

Secondly, the gunplay really is quite delicious. It’s not just in the feedback, recoil and sound, which is all top shelf, but in the way shootouts unfold. There’s an unprecedented realism in the way ND have orchestrated these encounters. Room-clearing fire fights can consist of the trading of 3 or 4 bullets, rather than the silly maelstrom and hailstorm of shrapnel that we see in other games. Actually, let’s go even further: fire fights in this game play out more realistically than 95% of movies, yo. Trigger pulls have catastrophic consequences.

And then there’s the melee combat, which is just straight-up satisfying. The ring-out of steel pipes and the shattering of two-by-fours… Glorious. And hey, I’m a fan of egregious gore in my video games when it’s not hilariously out of place, so I appreciate that, too.

All of the above combines to form the real backbone of the brilliance of TLoU’s gameplay: the dynamism. Never before in a game has the stealth > shoot-bang > stealth dynamic been so well handled. You all know what I’m talking about: it’s the blatant disregard of lines of sight; the otherworldly senses instantly imbued in your enemies as soon as you pop off a single, innocuous shot. It’s BULLSHIT and it’s nowhere to be found in TLoU (99% of the time). Sure, sometimes it’s a bit too ‘nowhere to be found’, but that’s still better than the alternative. It makes for some seriously satisfying and seriously unique encounters. To express it another way, I’m pretty anal in any game with a stealth emphasis, usually to the point where detection = the fastest checkpoint reloading in the history of mankind. TLoU is one of those few special games that deters you from doing that (not entirely, though; reloads were still had) because when shit hits the fan, fun sprays down from the ceiling.

A few words on the technical aspects: the game looks fantastic. And frame rate issues were more or less non-existent for me, oddly. Maybe I have a high tolerance, but I really don’t think so.

Look, I know I’m gushing. I do have some gripes, though, like the tendency of one-hit deaths to become annoying, the occasional trial and error frustration, wishing I could sprint when I couldn’t, or the inevitable silliness of AI partners wandering about invisibly. I was also left a bit wanting with the ending, but I understand the decision to go that route. All in all, however, the abundant good outweighs the very little bad considerably, which is what you should give stock to. More importantly, it’s a forward thinking game that dares to be a little different and dares to be uncompromisingly itself.

Kudos, ND.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've never played a game with more satisfying explosions than this one.

The way enemies fly into walls with their limbs blown off never gets old.

All of the above combines to form the real backbone of the brilliance of TLoU’s gameplay: the dynamism. Never before in a game has the stealth > shoot-bang > stealth dynamic been so well handled. You all know what I’m talking about: it’s the blatant disregard of lines of sight; the otherworldly senses instantly imbued in your enemies as soon as you pop off a single, innocuous shot. It’s BULLSHIT and it’s nowhere to be found in TLoU (99% of the time). Sure, sometimes it’s a bit too ‘nowhere to be found’, but that’s still better than the alternative. It makes for some seriously satisfying and seriously unique encounters. To express it another way, I’m pretty anal in any game with a stealth emphasis, usually to the point where detection = the fastest checkpoint reloading in the history of mankind. TLoU is one of those few special games that deters you from doing that (not entirely, though; reloads were still had) because when shit hits the fan, fun sprays down from the ceiling.

Very well said. Agreed completely.

Great post.

Anyone else experience this?
You're crouched. Push too much on the analog stick and Joel stands up and moves fast. It's happened a few times, very frustrating when I'm trying to stay stealthy and my character suddenly stands up and jogs.

Salz01

My mind is blown. Did not know that.

Anyways. Great game. Awesome settings. Loved the second half. But I keep thinking how it compares to UC2. Yes I know they are two different games, but just the pulpy light hearted feel of UC2 makes me gravitate to it more.

That being said, was there any hint of how or why the out break started? I think I missed it, and its something that I really wanted to know.

Ellie is awesome. Hope to see more of her in a future game. But I could see it loose some of the edge if they show her grown up.

nib95

Banned
Just completed it. 18 and a half hours. My God...what an unbelievable and unforgettable experience. Never really played a video game like it. It's actually far more emotionally resonant than most of the movies I've seen recently, and certainly more than any video game I've ever played. It's just a punch to the gut after punch, and despite a very slow start, when it picks up it never gives way.

Will post more in the spoilers thread after it's sunk in, had so much to say, so many little details admired, so much beauty and pain. I think the game may have affected me more than I expected. I let myself get engrossed in the world, partly because of the sheer realism and inviting nature of the world and people ND built within the game. Small but constant things in this game leave such a burden on the mind and heart. More so because of the role children play in the game, either directly or indirectly. Hardships, pain, death, suffering etc affecting children is something that gets to me more than anything else. Ultimately children are the purest and most innocent beings on this Earth, so to imagine them in such a harsh world is a particularly difficult prospect.

That's just focusing on the characters and story, emotions and narrative aside, have to give massive credit to the amazing gunplay, it is the most visceral, realistic and threatening combat I've ever experienced in a tps. To it's benefit, it is also open ended, dynamic and completely diverse in the options and tactics it offers.

To sum it up, Naughty Dog have done it again.

I've been overall disappointed with this generation of games, but amongst a sea of regurgitation, lack of ambition, un-refined narratives, characters and dialogue, somehow Naughty Dog has delivered two of my favourite games of all time. Both Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us I think will find themselves in my top 10, maybe even 5, of all time. I love them both that much. Not sure I'll be able to replay LoU as invitingly mind, since it's so harsh and bleak. In any case, massive thanks to ND and all their team. Don't know how you guys do it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just completed it. 18 and a half hours. My God...what an unbelievable and unforgettable experience. Never really played a video game like it. It's actually far more emotionally resonant than most of the movies I've seen recently, and certainly more than any video game I've ever played. It's just a punch to the gut after punch, and despite a very slow start, when it picks up it never gives way.

Will post more in the spoilers thread after it's sunk in, had so much to say, so many little details admired, so much beauty and pain. I think the game may have affected me more than I expected. I let myself get engrossed in the world, partly because of the sheer realism and inviting nature of the world and people ND built within the game. Small but constant things in this game leave such a burden on the mind and heart.

That's just focusing on the characters and story, emotions and narrative aside, have to give massive credit to the amazing gunplay, it is the most visceral, realistic and threatening combat I've ever experienced in a tps. To it's benefit, it is also open ended, dynamic and completely diverse in the options and tactics it offers.

To sum it up, Naughty Dog have done it again.

I've been overall disappointed with this generation of games, but amongst a sea of regurgitation, lack of ambition, un-refined narratives, characters and dialogue, somehow Naughty Dog has delivered two of my favourite games of all time. Both Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us I think will find themselves in my top 10, maybe even 5, of all time. I love them both that much. Not sure I'll be able to replay LoU as invitingly mind, since it's so harsh and bleak. Massive thanks to ND and all their team. Don't know how you guys do it.
Have you watched the "grounded" documentary on youtube yet? I think it came with a special edition and someone uploaded it. Its pretty good.

Leeness

Spoilers for about...50-60%

The end of
summer was just...

Dang. :( Poor Henry and Sam. I feel really bad. I wish I could have prevented that...

Speaking of the Hotel Basement:
Man, that bloater game me hell my first playthrough on Normal. Which is why on my new playthrough on Survival, I just turned on the generator and ran as quickly as I could to the door. Should have done that the first time. I prob spent an hour on Normal on that area, dying and dying again. This time I spent 3 minutes. :lol

That bloater grabbed my mouth in my first effort :( Asshole sprang out of nowhere and grabbed me from behind. Seriously the most fucked up monster in the game.

In my second try, I spent good 10-15 minutes understanding the layout of the floor, and finding the fastest route to the exit. So I set off the generator and make it to the hallways, and I see a runner hiding waiting to grab me. I waste 4 arrows on the fucker. When I get to the exit, BLOATER. He's making the noises and about to grab me, but I hit triangle and the animation to exit the door starts...I probably glitched out of there alive. haha.
NEVER AGAIN.

Top Bottom